Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
Just picked up the first 4 out of 6 APs from the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle for LotR LCG. So many new options for deckbuilding!

I typically play solo, so getting through the 2nd and 3rd quest in the core set ranged from rough to impossible. Can't wait to throw some new deck attempts together to give the new quests a shot and retry the core set quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

DirkGently posted:

Yeah, I have a pretty significant card pool (all of the big box expansions and then entire Khazad-Dum AP cycle) but I have never managed to beat Escape from Dol Guldur (core quest 3) with a solo deck. I cruised through it with 2 players but I am skeptical that it is even possible solo without a huge amount of luck -- although that hasn't stopped me from trying. Anyone have any pointers? Next time I think I will try it with a mono Spirit deck... but I suspect that it will be too hard to kill monsters (stupid Ungoliant's Spawn).

If you find some quests too difficult, you might actually want to start playing 'two handed'. This guide from Tales from the Cards will help you get started. It is a little harder to manage but I actually find it way more enjoyable than solo.

I've considered playing two handed before, but I would prefer to just bash my head against everything solo unless I am playing with someone else. Escape from Dol Guldur is pretty much entirely luck solo because losing one of your heroes is hard to overcome. I've pretty much wrote that one off for the time being. Someone on BGG has a core set only deck that can beat it "reliably" with forcing one of the three heroes to be the one captured. Link to that is here.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

zokie posted:

What are good things to buy when starting to play LotR LCG except for the starter set? Finally found a web store that had it in stock...

The Saga expansions follow the events of the books and have some cool cards in them. I am just buying everything in release order to play through. I've always heard good things about Khazad-Dum and the Dwarrowdelf cycle, but I haven't had a chance to play with any of those cards yet. The first cycle of adventure packs was just reprinted, so those could be worth picking up while they are still easy to find.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

ChiTownEddie posted:

The 3rd AP has been announced... http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4690

Also based on this review of the quests, I think I need to get this new cycle next. http://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2014/03/11/voice-of-isengard-quests-review/

If I wasn't gone for the next, like, 3 weeks I'd probably finish up everything I have hehe.

Oh, more eagle cards. Gwaihir should make an eagle deck much more viable solo.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
Info on the fourth AP in The Ring-Maker cycle for LotR:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4747

Some pretty cool enemy designs there. Also a card that allows you to take control of the first player token from other people which could allow some solid multiplayer plays. The new hero is a ranger of some sort.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

ChiTownEddie posted:

Hero Gandalf!!

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4974

Can't wait :getin:

E: too awesome to not give an image of.

That is a really powerful effect. Easily slots into any deck and "draws" an extra card every turn in a roundabout way. Solid stats, too.

Biggest drawback is that using the hero Gandalf prevents you from using his Ally card. :(

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

Rusty Kettle posted:

I think it is interesting especially considering decks that use him as a hero cannot use any Gandolf ally cards, which are a staple in many decks. So I feel like they need to power him up to compensate for that. Very solid hero.

Is he the only hero? It looks like it is coming soon, so it might already be at GenCon.

Looks like Gandalf's Staff is supposed to replace the Gandalf Ally cards by letting you choose an effect each turn, but a much less powerful version. Drawing an extra card each turn or accelerating resource-gain is certainly nothing to ignore, though.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

Gravy Train Robber posted:

LOTR is probably my favorite LCG, even moreso than Netrunner. Granted, its purely because I prefer playing with friends to playing against them, but LOTR is a very well designed game. I've previously run a PbP game of the first scenario (Passage Through Mirkwood), and had planned on doing a PbP of Khazad-Dum last december but that fell through before I got it off the ground due to work. I would like to try running it on the forums again soon, I should have some free time coming up next month.

I would really love to see this. I'm still really on the fence about Doomtown, even after watching some reviews and going through the rulebook. I also worry because introducing Netrunner to friends was a struggle against the steep learning curve, and with Doomtown appearing even steeper I may as well just buy a very heavy paperweight.*

*LOTR also gets extra points from me for being actually fun playing solitaire

A PbP LotR game sounds like it would be a lot of fun! Definitely throw a post in here if you do end up doing another one.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
Picked up Khazad-Dum last night. Looks like it is time to throw a dwarf deck together! The quests in this box also look like a lot of fun. This game is going to make me poor.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
What sleeves does everybody use for LotR stuff? I need a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
where do people buy sleeves for their lotr stuff? would be nice to just buy a ton in bulk and save a bit of money