Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

VTES is both one of my favorite CCGs, and the CCG that I've tried that needs a Netrunner-style LCG cleanup the most. It's awesome, but in many ways it's also a badly designed mess.

The way card-draw happens in VTES seems like it would be very hard to replicate in an LCG, but it would be awesome if they could make it work. For those who haven't played it, you basically draw a card every time you play one, staying at a constant hand size unless a card says otherwise. Really changes all of the stuff about card advantage and value people have learned in other games. But, it doesn't really work without the 90-card decks and many copies of the same card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

V:TES with only 3 of each card would have to be a very different game. Might be doable as an LCG with either a smaller deck that you reshuffle whenever it runs out (though I'd miss the 90 card decks, big part of the "feel" of the game for me), or different packaging (3 copies of some cards, can only have 3 of those in your deck, 9 copies of others, can play 9 of those, for example).

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

Yeah you don't seem to get that your stuff is only relevant if you had an infinitely long game, or the ability to actually get to the bottom of the deck after putting something there. Being able to decide the order on the bottom cards is (with the current amount of draw) not something that matters. And knowing where the cards you didn't chose are and will be is, for the same reason, equally useless. You can't get to them again. There's not enough draw in Conquest to do it and not enough search to do it.

Even with the upcoming search enhancer you'd have to use every search effect and have the match run very long just to start seeing the first few things you put to the bottom of the deck. So you can throw the match to order your deck the way you want.

As said before, the search effect is good if your victory depends on a single card. In a regular play situation where the game is still going to take a few turns discarding 5 cards to draw 1 is not going to be 100% positive. Or are you going to argue that discard effects are positive too?

By this logic, a card that forced your opponent to look at the bottom 5 cards of their deck would be awesome.