Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

alansmithee posted:

As an aside, I've always heard yugioh and Pokemon are super popular but ive almost never seen anyone playing them in all the stories I've seen. Just wondering where they have these huge followings

SoCal had a huge YugiOh scene, to the point where there were shops that catered exclusively to YugiOh. Pokemon tends to be more kids and kitchen table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

As someone who's run a game store (not the one in question) i can safely say you have no idea what you're talking about

Sorry it went under, I'm sure your attitude and knowledge had nothing to do with the past tense nature of your statement. Onto the ignore list with your rudeness.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Got to chat with an L5R playtester group last night, and the consensus was, unfortunately, that I should put Phoenix on the backburner until the end of the first cycle or so, since they're getting some good stuff in the next few packs but none of their themes are really going to come together until at least then.

I guess I'll switch to Lion or Scorpion splashing Dragon, since those decks are all really powerful at the moment. Lion's Pride Brawler really is that good, but I like playing with i Can Swim a whole lot.

A thing to consider is that FFG designs each cycle as a complete block. So themes introduced in the first pack of a cycle will often be missing key cards until the 5th or even 6th cycle is released.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I gotta admit, i'm normally rolling my eyes at complaints about needing multiple cores for LCGs. But the fact that L5R doesn't even make two "1 core" decks out of a single box is kinda ridiculous.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

From a store's standpoint, this is a logistical nightmare to have dropped on us on such short notice. No store is going to be sure what the interest in the game looks like from a short- or long-term standpoint since the core set has barely had a week's chance to be in the wild.

There's a strong likelihood of these particular packs going out of print for eight months given FFGs print runs, so being forced to commit to X number of six different packs in the middle of the holiday season is ludicrous.

Basically, this is FFG giving a giant middle finger to the stores (and to a lesser extent the player base) by telling us to, "get it now, or don't and watch your player base die."

Yeah. Now THIS is something legitimately difficult for stores to forecast on. Especially since some distributors (coughalliancecough) don't even have access to core sets as of yesterday. FFG dropping 6 packs onto the market in 6 weeks will likely result in stores having to order them before they can even get a reasonable number of core sets.

I wonder if this was a FFG decision or if it came down from Asmodee. Or if their printers went crazy.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Funzo posted:

Is every box the same, or do they have different cards in them? If they're all different, then that makes more sense.

Every LCG product is identical. The L5R core set is mostly single copies or cards. Since a constructed deck can have 3x of a card to get a playset requires 3 core sets.

Again, this is the option out of three that they chose.

They could have done a much smaller card pool in triplicate and kept cost the same. They could've made the card pool they chose in triplicate and nearly tripled the price.

Arguing about this was already a dead horse when Android: Netrunner was released.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

I love that they're releasing the packs a lot faster, as each cycle is designed as a whole and split up somewhat arbitrarily with some factions getting screwed for months because their key cards are released in the 5th/6th packs. I wish all LCGs were on a similar release schedule. Though at the same time, part of the fun of the LCG model is slowly tweaking decks 1-2 cards at a time because of the slower drip feed of cards. I think this is still a much better launch strategy for the game and the competitive scene.

Personally I'd rather they drop them as a big box, or simultaneously, every six months or so. BUT, and it's a big but (and I cannot lie) they need to be consistent. And open with shop owners. Changing it up during the initial hype building phase is a Bad Thing, for reasons explained earlier.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Corbeau posted:

Quick release schedule is no bad thing tbh. Netrunner nearly died because of how long the core set environment stagnated with the terribly limited card pool.

Though I'm not playing either way. Just can't see spending so much cash on the game.

If ANR had gone

Month 1: Core Set
Month 2: Data Pack #1
Month 3: Data Pack #2
Etc

Then it would have been a better release.

ANR going
Day Zero: Core Set
Month 1, Week 1: Data Pack #1
Month 1, Week 2: Data Pack #2

It would have likely been worse than the long silence we got. Whether or not the feeling is justified this is going to leave a bad taste like Day Zero DLC for a lot of people, stores included.

In the past, stores were able to pick up core sets and try to organically grow a player base during that initial lull. If the players didn't materialize then they simply wouldn't stock the packs when they came out months later.

Now they have to figure out if a player base is going to form before they can get enough core set copies to develop a player base.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

If L5R ends up staying as big as the release schedule announcement said it was, I really hope FFG hires a dedicated OP person or two because they've really hosed up some big AGoT tournaments lately and that game isn't even huge.

Hahahaha oh you kidder you.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

I don't know what you guys are talking ab

out

If this card is labeled "High Marks" I'll give it a pass.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Do we have a thread for L5R discussion?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

OWLS! posted:

There's apparently a polish gaming site that still has bits of the last cycle in stock, but holy crap the shipping costs.

Might stil be cheaper than eBay.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Every LCG scene I've been a part of (4 now) died from FFG's inconsistent release schedule. Going 2-3 months between releases when they were supposed to be monthly meant people took breaks. And for every person who took a break, others were less incentivized to go to the weekly meetup. And when the new packs came out not everyone would return.

I'd much rather they commit to every 2 months consistently than every month inconsistently.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Sentinels is nice in that people just grab decks and play. Both of the Arkham Horror campaigns I was in died out because it was half people who really wanted to tinker with deck building, and half people who didn't want to figure out building decks.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Thirsty Dog posted:

I find this really surprising.

Arkham deck building is not particularly time consuming and it's really easy to just grab one off the internet for people to work towards if they can't be bothered. I'm not a fan of deck building in general, despite playing lots of LCGs, and the way you upgrade your deck in Arkham is really smooth.

I loved it personally.

The issue was letting people look through the binder and upgrades. "Why would I spend 4 experience on this? It only reduces the cost by 2!" Attempts to explain how that saved you actions and such was met with eyes glazing and going "ugh I don't care just do whatever" and then getting angry later that their deck had new cards or the cards worked slightly differently.

I've been playing magic and other boardgames for over a decade, so a lot of the things I've internalized by default (curve, efficiency, card advantage, etc) are easy to take for granted, as many gamers do. But for people who are new or who are only dipping their toe in it is a lot of new brain churn that they may not have expected.

Then there's the self-proclaimed genius who has been playing MTG for years and never had a positive W/L ratio at Friday night magic "because luck hates him and everyone else netdecks" and don't dare try to suggest maybe not building an arkham deck where everything costs 4 or more without any way to quickly gain cash. "I start with 5 so I can afford most of the things!"

Anyway, I know those aren't the norm but they were the playgroup I had available at the time.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

EVGA Longoria posted:

I feel like it's Kitty Pryde, Bobby Drake, Scott Summers, then the Age of Apocalypse. Disney's got that X-Men license back.

This 100%, the transparency for the first is a dead giveaway.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

Okay. It does seem weird to me because why would they specify printed when they could just say “highest HP” at that point. I’m maybe overlooking some weird edge case scenario.

"Highest HP" would mean "highest current hp." Highest printed is not counting damage already taken or hp boosting modifications.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Fritzler posted:

Speaking of spoilers, here is the the whole card listing for the upcoming Dr Strange pack. Looks pretty great.

Is "The Sorcerer Supreme" one of Strange's cards or a random neutral? If it's the latter that'd be pretty amusing.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Single Tight Female posted:

drat shame that companies are still choosing to put bad art in their games, when instead they could copy Doomtown and put in masterpieces like this (from the upcoming expansion):

Isn't that fanmade product tho?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Foehammer posted:

I have a complete LotR LCG collection, minus the nightmare decks. If anyone wants it, better marry into my family because this poo poo is going in my will.

How you doin'?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Arkham Horror is also hurt by (imo) one of its strengths, in that it is extremely punishing if you aren't really versed on card game fundamentals. Playing to your outs, maximizing resources, pushing towards a win state rather than playing to not lose. Playing it without at least a rough understanding of those mechanics is grueling and feels unfair.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
If I wanted to jump back into Arkham Horror whole hog, as someone who only has the first mythos cycle, do I need to pick up the investigator starter decks if I'm buying everything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Vidmaster posted:

If you're jumping in whole hog and buying everything else, I don't see why you wouldn't buy the investigator starter decks too since they have new cards and new investigators. I'm not enough of an AH pro to know if there are any meta-defining cards in the decks, but if you only care about the main cycles and none of the investigators jump out at you then they're absolutely skippable.

(Sorry, that's kind of a non-answer)

That's a solid answer, thank you. Wasn't sure if they had cards unique to them or if they were akin to Netrunner World Champion decks.