Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Kinda feel like Orks and Chaos should switch spots, since Imperial Guard/Chaos makes a little more sense to me because of traitor legions. Meh whatever, still cool.

I feel like most of 40k (including the main game) seem to forget that traitor legions exist.

Question for this thread, I've been interested in getting a LCG for a while now, something to play board game style with my friends, is the Game of Thrones one a good choice? And if so, what would be the recommended stuff to get for beginners?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Taran_Wanderer posted:

If by "board game style" you mean "construct all the decks yourself and purchase as little as possible," yeah, Game of Thrones is probably your best bet. It also has the advantage of supporting up to four players right out of the box. For the best balance, I'd suggest buying two Core Sets and building the decks along the lines listed in this thread. That thread also has suggested decks for the two other Houses if you find yourself liking the game and want to add some variety.

Yeah, I pretty much want to have a few balanced decks my friends and I can just pick up and play without having to invest too much. At some point, if we like the game, we'll probably buy more (probably the other two teams).

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll probably go pick up two core sets today and see how it plays. I watched a couple youtube videos for each of the popular LCGs in this thread, and while the LoTR one looks great, my group definitely prefers competitive over co-op.

Fashionable Jorts fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 29, 2014

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Feeple posted:

I'm actually a little miffed at a friend who is a pretty decent gamer, and a strong Netrunner player gets MEGA pissed off at the GoT game, and we're just loving around with the core set. Valar Morghulis just existing makes him upset, and man he was pissed in a 3 player game when he discovered that being in first place means #2 and 3 start ganing up on you.

AGoT is its won brand of fun, but holy poo poo if you like a sense of permanence to your cards look elsewhere. You have to be able to get over dudes dying and "whoops, dude killed from loving nowhere." Much like Diplomacy, this game needs a separation of your ego from the game.

I love it because of this. I've only played a handful of games with friends, using a bunch of decks I was recommended to be balanced, and it's amazing how quickly your plans have to change due to everyone becoming dead. One guy I played with got super frustrated by this, and it made me sad that he wasn't liking it as much as the rest of us.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Feeple posted:

I've notecied that games take a while in Core Set context, and that's honestly because they're not great decks. I think FFG wanted you to get two Cores (as they do with everything,) and once you have that, you can build decks that streamline the process down and get games to crank out quicker. If anything, 3-6 player games slow things down further, as picking Small Council roles are (I noticed) taken 20% for their in-game effect, and 80% for who they effectively block from challenging them this round. Approximately.

I've grabbed a handful of random expansions and have managed to knock the play time of a game down significantly. Could also have to do with us no longer needing to spend as much time reading the cards, since we know how they work now.

It's funny how your group's use of the small council is the opposite of mine. Almost always we grab them for the effect, then afterwards we notice who we just chose to support/oppose.

Also, does anyone have recommended expansions/builds to make Martell more effective? I love their concept, they are my favourite team to play, but they rarely win.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Shockeh posted:

Martell guide 101:

Don't play Melee.
Do play Joust.

Voila, Martell just got a tonne better.

(Okay, this was flippant, they're a viable House in both formats, but when a lot of your cards rely on other people going for you to punish them for it, you can't use those in a 4 player format very often, so a Melee Martell deck is WAY more different than a Joust Martell deck, to a greater degree than any other House.)

I had a feeling that was the case, but most games I've played have been 4 player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Literally The Worst posted:

Necrons can be Necrons plus any other faction, Tyranids are JUST Tyranids. I want to know how they plan on introducing those cards, though, unless there's neutral cards, and unless they really plan on loading up big expacs with nids.

Tyranids might get hosed over? What a shocking and unique development!