Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Board Game Trading Thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3501008&pagenumber=45&perpage=40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

This sounds really hard and really fun! I'm glad it's a straight up surprise release instead of just an announcement, too.

Probably going to order this immediately.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Alternatively it makes a bit of sense thematically. If you're eliminated or run away, you're no longer around to be bothered about those things. No one can ask you any questions and/or come after you because you're either dead or missing. :v:

In Skid's case, if he loses all his health, the hospital is probably more than happy to take him in to accrue more debt!

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Arkham LCG chat--not sure if I'm playing this correctly:

I'm playing Daisy. I have Arcane Initiate out, and use the free trigger to search the top three cards for a spell. The Necronomicon is one of those three cards. No spells were found.

I've been shuffling the Necronomicon back into my deck with this. Is that correct, or is searching considering drawing the cards as far as weaknesses are concerned?

edit: The entry for "Search" in the rules reference says, "While cards are in the process of being searched, they are not considered to have left their game area of origin," which suggests to me that they haven't been drawn/entered my hand and therefore weaknesses wouldn't trigger off of that. Seems a bit too good but I guess thematically Daisy is using the Arcane Initiate as a lab assistant (guinea pig) and making her go insane reading the book instead. :shrug:

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 27, 2016

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Cool, thanks! It happened like four times in one game, so I wanted to be sure I was playing it correctly.

Arcane Initiate is now probably one of my favorite cards, and I honestly find myself playing more Mystic cards out of Daisy's deck than Seeker cards, even when I draw the Seeker cards. I think her ludicrously high Sanity makes it easier to eat some of the horror costs of the Mystic cards, and her high Intelligence makes investigating a breeze even without help. It makes me wonder if I should just play Agnes instead, but I'd probably miss the easy investigating.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
The deck building rules for the Core Set specify that you add in a random basic weakness after constructing your deck. That's rules as written.

Obviously feel free to choose whatever you like for theme, or do it randomly if that's your thing.

If the game ever instructs you to add more weaknesses later, it will describe clearly how to go about doing that.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Having a bag of tokens gives you the flexibility of modifying the "dice" every game to suit your needs. It also gives FFG the opportunity to add unique tokens to the mix for a specific scenario without altering the difficulty.

It's a pretty clever system to add flexibility to the core mechanic of the game and give it much longer legs. Dice would be way too limiting and cost prohibitive.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

PJOmega posted:

I wasn't looking to break street date, so thanks I suppose? Was more wondering if the 12th was the ship-to-retailer date or the expected street date.

For a lot of stores (mine included) it is often both. Sometimes we'll get FFG product a day or two before the street date, other times it will show up on the street date. There's no rhyme or reason for it other than FFG distribution is not great.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Stores definitely get certain allotments of products, especially when it comes to FFG.

e.g. When the TIE Striker, U-Wing, and Star Wars Destiny product came out last month, stores were allotted a certain amount of product at the distribution level because of the high demand for the products. My store honestly would have bought out one of our distributor's entire Destiny allotment if we could have, but they (understandably) capped us at a certain amount. We ended up not getting an allotment for the TIE Striker and U-Wing because distribution was so messed up on those two items.

Also note that if your local store is in the US and is buying product from other stores, they should be very, very careful. Asmodee NA specifies in their licensing agreement that stores cannot sub-distribute to other stores/individuals with intent to distribute product, and so that could put your store and the store from which they're buying at risk of losing their entire Asmodee license. I don't know if it applies to stores in the UK (doubtful), but they should be wary nonetheless. It's one of the unfortunate effects of Asmodee's grabbing up publishers across the board.

Anyway, sorry for the boring store chat. More on-topic, for anyone who didn't watch the Team Covenant Dunwich Legaxy unboxing video, FFG has posted a preview of the upcoming new investigators.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Played through the Curse of the Rougarou scenario with Roland solo this afternoon. I feel like I kinda cheesed it with upgraded Beat Cop and dynamite.

Being able to put damage on the Rougarou with an upgraded Beat Cop to get around the engagement requirement made it a bit easy. Since the cop specifies an enemy "at your location," you don't have to spend a clue to engage the Rougarou in order to exhaust the upgraded Beat Cop to whack the enemy for one damage. It also makes avoiding the horror from the curse a lot easier to manage.

It's a really fun scenario, and I look forward to playing it with my group.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

dexefiend posted:

5 health and 20 health are completely different conversations.

Did you have him running all the way across the board after doing each damage?

Yeah, every time. Made it pretty annoying having to keep going through the bayou location that forces you to lose two resources when you leave it.

Admittedly I got pretty lucky overall. One of the 4 health enemies got hacked down with a machete and 2x Vicious Blow in one swing.

It will definitely be much different with more players. It was still loads of fun solo.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
The Dunwich Legacy characters are definitely more specialized than their core set counterparts, even with the ability to pull five cards from any faction.

So far I'm having the most trouble building a Jim Culver deck. I really want him to carry ritual candles around with him, but he can't carry his trumpet if he does. It's hard to specialize with the mystic faction, too--they seem to be more well-rounded as far as roles, which is maybe the point.

It's really fun to tinker with the new investigators and cards, though!

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Plavski posted:

Why can't he carry his trumpet and the candles? He has two hands!

Ha, sorry, I meant 2x Ritual Candles, one in each hand. :downs:

Skulls for days!

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

PJOmega posted:

On the topic of treachery cards that move you, can you voluntarily fail a test?

No, you must always attempt to pass it. There are some effects that let you voluntarily fail after you would pass, however. See Rex Murphy's Elder Sign token effect.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Max posted:

Mechanics question for Arkham Horror LCG: Do Aloof Hunters still follow you around, even if they are not engaging. Or do they just stay put since they have no intention of engaging.

They will still move one location towards the nearest investigator each Enemy Phase. If they are already in a location with an investigator, they will not move. They will not, however, automatically engage with an investigator even if they move into a location with an investigator.

i.e. Aloof Hunters still move locations, but do not automatically engage investigators.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
It's also explicitly mentioned on the deckbuilding requirements on each investigator's card. You can absolutely infer that it's not a hard limit, but read literally it appears to be one.

e.g. Skids is required to add, specifically, 1x On the Lam, 1x Hospital Debts, 1x random basic weakness.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I'm not sure we really need a separate thread for the AH LCG. Without a competitive scene it just doesn't warrant much discussion.

Splitting up what discussion there is between here and a separate thread is just going to kill the conversation, I think.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
As someone who knows next to nothing about Legend of the Five Rings, why should I be excited about the upcoming LCG? For reference, I find the GoT LCG and its fluff boring as all hell, and I really, really love the Arkham Horror LCG and its design and theme integration so far while simultaneously being pretty lukewarm on the Cthulhu mythos itself.

I ask because I am genuinely curious and may be interested in getting in on the ground floor of a card game with a competitive scene.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

LordNat posted:

Really hard to say at this point since we know nothing of the new game. Most of the hype around it is centered on the history of the game and it's setting.

I suppose this is what I'm curious about. Even just in the few responses in the short time since I posted this folks have expressed their reverence for an IP I know nothing about beyond selling some interesting looking booster tins and hardcover books for the old (but not oldest) CCG and RPG.

What's interesting about the setting? What were the old mechanics like? Obviously something of the old CCG will carry over into the new one, so what would be the cool things you'd like to see show up?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

alansmithee posted:

And in L5R rumors, there's a big mechanic in it that may turn people off bigtime. There's also photos of the cards floating around and the art is kinda different. Very pastel, but I think I like it.

And the award for Most Frustratingly Ambiguous Post of the Day goes to...

Really though, I'm intensely curious.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I never played the original version of L5R so I don't have that to compare it to, but I like the idea of Fading over everyone sticking around until they're killed in conflict or by card effects. It makes for a potentially interesting and difficult decision about how much you want to invest in a character and adds some neat design space (already utilized by Steadfast Samurai previewed in the article) to explore.

Bidding honor for card draws seems like it could lead to interesting and difficult decisions.

Selecting what ring to use for each conflict sounds like an interesting and potentially difficult decision.

There's a theme here, and it's one I look for more and more in my games these days. Interesting or difficult decisions, especially in an inherently social envrionment (tabletop gaming), make for good games.

I'm not as thrilled about needing three cores to have a complete set, but "two to be competitive" sounds like how Netrunner worked with the core set consoles, so a complete playset may help but not be completely necessary.

The art is pretty gorgeous, too. I'm a little wary of white-washing since some of the characters are borderline, but we'll see how that pans out. It doesn't seem to be too much of an issue in the cards previewed. That said, while it's basically feudal Japan/China/Mongolia, it's a made-up fantasy setting, so I hope they go for even more representation of people of color since they're not bound by, well, anything.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Taking a step back from the hype and my excitement for the game and mechanics, and bearing in mind I have no connection to or nostalgia​ for the setting, one thing that does give me pause is the theme. It's pretty Orientalist, and unless I missed something, being headed up by a bunch of white dudes makes this more problematic.

Obviously none of us knows what direction FFG is going to take the game and theme, and they've shown they can be fairly inclusive and sensitive in Netrunner, and from what I've read of both old and new L5R, it's low on the sexism scale. That said, as much as I really want to be on-board with the theme, it makes me uneasy.

More specifically, I wouldn't want a casual observer walking by a game to look at it and feel extremely uncomfortable/alienated/objectified/othered because of the theme, because that sucks and excludes people in what should be a safe, comfortable social setting. This is a long-standing problem in boardgaming in general, and I think we've come a long way (and have much longer to go), but I can't shake the feeling that reviving L5R is, at best, maintaining the status quo, or at worst, taking a step backwards.

I don't really know how to approach it, but I know a good metric for this sort of thing is, "if you feel the need to ask, then you probably shouldn't go through with it."

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 20, 2017

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

alansmithee posted:

What are you talking about? The whole theme of the setting is pseudo-feudal Japan, how would that make anyone uncomfortable? And what's the problem in boardgaming you're talking about? What "step backwards" do you mean?

Original L5R was ostensibly created by a group of white men who thought the theme was cool. It's a made-up setting for sure, but it pulls directly from East Asian history and culture, of which the creators were not a part, nor to which they had any real connection. They took the parts they thought were neat and incorporated them into their creation, which is straight up cultural appropriation.

The general problem with boardgaming's history is that it involves lots of themes of colonialism, racism, colorism, sexism, and cultural appropriation. It was (and still is) pretty exclusive to anyone but cisgendered​ white males. As the industry has grown, it's worked on shedding that notion to become more inclusive, but it's far from perfect.

Drawing an analog to another FFG product and another LCG, Netrunner was a step in the right direction, by featuring a diverse cast of characters with fewer stereotypes (I say fewer because I don't well enough know how the Mumbad Cycle portrays folks from the Indian Subcontinent) than you might expect from the industry, which makes it more inclusive and gets further way from the aforementioned problems.

Reviving L5R appears to be maintaining the status quo or stepping backwards into the habit of objectifying​ cultures seen as "exotic" to Westerners and reinforcing stereotypes, instead of moving away from those things.

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 20, 2017

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

PaybackJack posted:

My problem is that it puts the responsibility of education about the topic on the shoulders of the artist or creator and forgives the consumer for their ignorance and inaction into actually learning about the true history or culture of a place.

Right, I totally agree! Which is where a lot of my conflict arises. I want to like the theme and setting because there's a part of me that is probably a closet weeb, but if I speak with my wallet and support something that is problematic, or consume someone else's culture (creepy), I'm just feeding into the issue and it never improves.

PaybackJack posted:

Basically I think that L5R falls more under cultural 'borrowing' than wholesale 'appropriation' because it's a fantasy story, not a historical one.

That's basically what appropriation is, though. At best it's benign borrowing from another culture that is not one's own, at worst it's objectification and fetishizing something "exotic."

Part of the reason I'm a bit sensitive to it at the moment is because I've been evaluating someone's old AD&D collection, which includes these noteworthy gems. Those gazetteers are... rough.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

LordNat posted:

Better to talk about the game than spend hours trying to make white people feel bad for enjoying things.

Burying our heads in the dirt and hoping the problem goes away isn't productive and doesn't really solve the problem.

I'm not going to sit here and judge someone for playing, because I love board and card games, too. They're an enormous part of my life. Which is exactly why I want to approach the things I love with a highly critical eye.

Especially​ when one has a nostalgic or historic connection to something, I don't really see an issue with enjoying something while also being highly critical of it (exceptions always apply here). I think that could always be taken a step further by speaking with one's wallet, too. I don't have that connection to L5R or the cultures from which it pulls inspiration, so I don't know if it's for me. If it's guilty of appropriation and insensitivity, I don't want to spend money on it to suggest that's what I want more of.

The flip side of this is that it's a game devoted entirely to people of color, and as GrandpaPants mentioned, they've gone as far as gender-swapping some characters, regardless of role, to even-out the playing field a bit. I think both of those things are fantastic. I'm just wary of it straying too far into appropriation or stereotypes, since it can be a really fine line to walk. I think discussing that with others is also really valuable, especially if we all really love this inherently social hobby.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

LordNat posted:

Better to talk about the game than spend hours trying to make white people feel bad for enjoying things.

On the other hand, I'm discounting the fact that you yourself might be a person of color and are sick of discussing it since it would be a daily occurrence for you and it's also not your job to educate white people on this stuff. If that is the case, then I genuinely apologize for bringing it up in a space where you might feel comfortable and like you generally don't have to deal with it.

If that's not the case, then I think it's definitely worth discussing more.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

LordNat posted:

Looks like dudes you play from hand can only get 1 extra fate.

Where did you see this in the article? I saw a mention of choosing not to add additional fate to the Seeker of Knowledge, but it didn't specify how much you could or couldn't add.

edit: Reading around, it seems the discrepancy was FFG's typical lack of proofreading and/or the article writers' typical lack of actual game knowledge showing up again. The article originally stated you could put "an additional fate" on a character, but has since been corrected to say just "additional fate".

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 11, 2017

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
There's an Arkham Horror LCG thread over here if you want to give it some love. Scenario stories are always entertaining.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

I picked up two core sets of Arkham Horror LCG and my play group absolutely loved it. The problem is that we're almost done with the first campaign and we're looking at getting the Dunwich Legacy box but I can't find it in stock anywhere. There are a few on Amazon but they're price gouging it pretty hard (around $50 after shipping).

Is it because it's older and out of print or is there just a limited supply that gets scooped up when they reprint? Should I just bite the bullet and pay the higher cost or will there be another wave? Also is it like the core set in that I need multiple copies to get all the relevant cards?

The supply side of things has been really slow, so it's more a matter of limited supply than it being old. Dunwich Legacy is less than six months old--the game itself is barely six months old.

They seem to be getting another print run out now-ish. My store just got a few copies in last week, but I don't remember if that was from the distributor that manages to find copies of out-of-print items lurking in their warehouse because they're so disorganized, or if that came from one of the major distributors who are better about off-loading things when they're more presently relative.

My suggestion would be to wait, unless you're really jonesing for the box that hard.

As for how many copies, just one is enough. Everything after the core set comes with at least two copies of every card (a full playset for one person) which is really all you need.

Also come give the Arkham Horror LCG-specific thread some love!

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

They seem to be getting another print run out now-ish.

And not ten minutes after posting this one of my front-end folks informed me that Dunwich Legacy was changed over to "shipping" status which means it's coming back in stock at the distribution level.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
L5R Dragon Clan preview article is up.

As expected they're all about attachments, even down to being able to play some of their characters as attachments instead.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
The rumors swirling around at the distribution level is October for L5R.

Fantasy Flight (and Asmodee in general) are currently caught up in settling down into having one distributor as their exclusive provider as of August 1st, so a lot of things are in flux at the moment.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

PaybackJack posted:

I'd really like to see the breakdown of how each clan was represented. I'm really curious how much of an impact only being able to represent a certain clan as a Hashamoto had on the competitive crew.

As far as the Hatamotos, there were 8 Dragon and 0-4 for all the other clans.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
The spare encounter sets for 2x Arkham cores were super duper useful when the only thing out was the core set. Being able to have all three core set scenarios built and ready to go without having to switch out encounter sets was a really nice quality of life bonus.

Now that way more scenarios are out that continue to use core encounter sets, yeah, those cards are kind of a waste.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I think there are only really two co-op card games with deck customization because of the complexity of designing and maintaining such a thing. A cooperative board game is mostly one-and-done, so you don't have to account for future content when balancing your mechanics.

Co-op LCGs require the same sort of forward-thinking and pre-planning needed for competitive CCGs, since you're planning cards, sets, storylines, and new mechanics way in advance of their release and with the rest of the content in mind for balance.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
So who's ready for all six dynasty packs in the first cycle of L5R to come out over the course of six WEEKS instead of six months?

Just spent $120 on three cores? Great! Time to immediately spend an additional $90. :suicide:

I'm not even playing, but I feel really bad for our customers and anyone else trying to get into it now. I guess this is supposed to help them line up cycles better with major tournaments or something.

edit: I can't do math.

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 11, 2017

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Where did you hear this?

Official e-mail correspondence from Fantasy Flight Games. I'm sure they'll make an announcement on their website today since they're touting it as a "special event".

Also it's an additional $90 for the six packs, I can't do math. Edited my original post.

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 11, 2017

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

alansmithee posted:

I'm surprised people are complaining about this. It's a great idea (assuming they aren't just gonna have a 6 month gap after the blitz for the next cycle). Core only gets boring, and getting a large injection of cards that much quickly is great. Besides, if you're really short on cash you can just cherry pick which pack(s) you want based on what cards are in them. Not every pack is gonna have necessities for every clan.

From a store's standpoint, this is a logistical nightmare to have dropped on us on such short notice. No store is going to be sure what the interest in the game looks like from a short- or long-term standpoint since the core set has barely had a week's chance to be in the wild.

There's a strong likelihood of these particular packs going out of print for eight months given FFGs print runs, so being forced to commit to X number of six different packs in the middle of the holiday season is ludicrous.

Basically, this is FFG giving a giant middle finger to the stores (and to a lesser extent the player base) by telling us to, "get it now, or don't and watch your player base die."

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I really think this stems more from a desire to have a cycle or two fully complete and out in the wild for major tournaments, rather than having tournaments land awkwardly in the middle of a cycle.

L5R was probably orignally meant to release sooner than October, giving them time to trickle packs out as normal for the LCG model. A later-than-intended release probably hosed up their OP plans, so they shotgunned the packs out to make up for it.

I agree that for the initial life of the game, it's better to have a faster release so that it doesn't stagnate. Letting the tap open a bit more than usual is great, but smashing the barrel open was probably not the smartest choice. I worry that this will cause supply issues from stores over-ordering product in fear of missing out on their chance for their customers when the demand for that amount might not be there. It seems like they're taking the lessons of previous LCGs' initial release schedules and Star Wars Destiny's undersupplied release last year and applying a solution that covers both of those issues while creating entirely new issues to sort out.

I genuinely think it all comes down to FFG being woefully unprepared to commit to a serious and meaningful OP schedule. Is it time for an FFG emote similar to :dice:?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Jedit posted:

I'd be more concerned that there are three black investigators and two of them are jazz musicians while the third is literally an African witch doctor.

Hit the nail on the head. I love the Arkham Horror LCG, but how FFG can continue to gently caress up representation in their games when they also have Netrunner around just boggles the mind.