Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Ledhed posted:

Quick question about the AGOT core set: I just picked up a used copy and I'm trying to ensure all the cards are there. The manual says there should be 220 cards, but I count 218 including the house cards and the melee role cards. The unique numbers stop at 208, am I missing 2 cards or is the manual wrong?

Are the house cards for Greyjoy and Martell in the box?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Carteret posted:

There is always the chance it could blow. Thanks for talking me off the ledge.

CoC and Warhammer LCG never really interested me/looked fun, so I guess there's a chance I may just avoid it on principle.

I'm a pretty big fan of Warhammer: Invasion, myself; it's the only LCG that I've bought more than the core set for, so far.

What about it turns you off? I've noticed that it seems to get no discussion in this thread.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

PaybackJack posted:

It's really not an LCG, it's much more like a Thunderstone/Dominion type of thing. The games is not deep enough in terms of deckbuilding or mechanically that you could compare it with any of the LCGs.

I don't see how being a deckbuilder disqualifies from being an LCG, nor lack of depth (that would just qualify as a bad LCG).

I've only played it once, and was thoroughly non-impressed; and being a big fan of Warmahordes AND Dominion, I was pretty hyped up about it. I haven't heard anyone whose board game opinion I value give it a positive review, and the few people I know who really enjoy HC are people who hated Dominion because of its learning curve (which a big loving red flag, to me).

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
But once again, are those thing because High Command isn't an LCG, or simply because it isn't a very good/popular one?

I've viewed the term LCG as a distribution format, to differentiate it from the random boosters of CCGs, and the everything-in-one-box with standard board/card games. If the Pathfinder card game and Mage Wars be included in that category, I don't see it as a stretch of the term to include High Command. And I don't mean to sound snarky (honestly, I don't, but I'm not sure how else to say it), but I don't much care for classifying games by how they feel 'spiritually'.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

PaybackJack posted:

High Command is just a board game with a quicker expansion release cycle. It's possible that they step it up and in future releases really flesh out the game, and the organized play content to make it comparable to the current crop of LCGs; but I just don't see that happening.

If the game got some traction, I could definitely see it happening, since organized play is a high priority for PP's flagship product. The main issue, I think, is that the game has no real audience. Warmahordes players would rather play Warmahordes, and card gamers would rather play better games.

signalnoise posted:

I had hoped that High Command would be a Dominion except with more of a military focus and some location tactics involved, making it more complex. Sounds like it actually took Dominion and dumbed it down a bit.

I wouldn't say it's a dumbed-down Dominion; it has its own complexity. The main problem is that the deckbuilder game and the direct conflict game don't really work together that well (the most egregious example is how Khador can pretty much ignore the direct conflict and win by buying points). That, and having two different currencies, which is always problematic in a deckbuilder.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I've had the core set for GoT for several years now, and I really WANT to get into it, being a big fan of the books. But I swear, I've never managed to finish a game. Even just doing a 2p Joust, it always takes us over an hour just for one player to get half the amount of points needed; and since by then we've hit the point where Power challenges have started to come fully into play, we get the sensation that game is actually slowing down, instead of speeding up, so we always end up calling it quits.

I was wondering if there were any common rookie GoT mistakes we could be making that might be slowing the game down. As it stands, I just don't find it nearly as satisfying as Invasion or Netrunner, which also take half the time for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I think my take away from all of this is that I'm not going to bother expanding into GoT. Invasion, LotR, and Netrunner were all very enjoyable playing just with what was in the core box, which encouraged me to pick up more of them. I'm not very keen in throwing good money after bad with GoT on the chance I might end up enjoying it, and I'm not exactly hurting for other games to play right now.