Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

tijag posted:

Also, in response to this as a problem, alternatively you would have had a full playset in one box [like what is upcoming in the Jedi deluxe box] and you get half the new cards. Considering the card pool for SWLCG is artificially constrained due to the pod mechanic, I'm really glad they opted for increasing the number of pods you can choose from. Would you have complained if they released it as a Scum/Smug Core set that was a full play set of all the cards, and instead of paying $19.99 each, you paid $39.99 total? It's not like you got screwed by having a bunch of extra copies of stuff you didn't need. They just packaged it in a way where someone super casual could pick it up and have fun with chewie/falcon etc, without paying $40, and anyone serious about the game was always happy to have more cards anyways. It's like complaining that they released more cards than you were willing to pay for.

Secondly, the state of the LCG union announcement is coming up where we will learn about rotation for AGOT.

I am very interested in this, as it will either get me to play more, or make me quite the game completely.

So... how do you feel about starting a whole new card game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm happy to get a chance to get into it. The frankly gigantic card pool was a turn off to everyone I know, and that's before you even get to gameplay quirks.

I'll probably drop Star Wars and just play GoT and Netrunner.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If this image from Team Covenant is accurate, it looks like the GoT second edition factions will be Targaryen, Baratheon, Lannister, Stark, Martell, Greyjoy, Arryn and Tyrell.

House Arryn sounds like a super boring faction to me and I would have preferred making the Night's Watch their own dedicated thing but maybe it'll be cool.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Pander posted:

I know there are supposed to be 3. That's why only having two is frustrating, especially since I wanted to make an outlands deck. Guess I'm buying another Steward's Fear AP :\

No, seriously, just email FFG and they'll help you.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

PaybackJack posted:

Question for anyone who played first edition Game of Thrones; are the resin houses going to be usable with the second edition?

Sure, they're just fancy tokens, they don't actually do anything.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Besides the theme, what makes Game of Thrones LCG special relative to the other LCGs out there?

I like that it's generally fast-paced and you have to be able to defend along several different lines of strategy in the same game, which can make board states and lines of play pretty complex. (It's mostly the theme though)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Taran_Wanderer posted:

This is the big thing that makes AGOT special. I don't think any card game is as defined by a single card as AGOT was defined by Valar Morghulis. Given the spoilers we've seen for 2nd Edition, people think we're not going to see Valar Morghulis in the Core, if at all, but we'll still have to deal with the likes of Wildfire Assault. With how important The Wall seems to be to a Night's Watch deck, I'm thinking we'll see a new version of Building Season in the Core, though.

The spoiler spreadsheet rules out Valar in the core unless the numbering got messed up somewhere, but there's still room for Building Season.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

GrandpaPants posted:

This looks rad. It's kinda funny how much the "combat resolution" is so similar across a lot of the LCGs, like Star Wars and Conquest. I was also worried that 15 power tokens would take a long time to get to, but it looks like games would last like 6-7 rounds or so unless there are shenanigans going on.

They don't even usually last that long, things can snowball pretty quickly.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Do we know if the 'duplicate' rule's gone? Because I really hope it is.

It is not gone, and you can put out dupes for free in setup now.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Just going off spoilers, Lannister splashing Tyrell seems pretty good for a single core game.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Fetterkey posted:

Yeah, a lot worse IMO. Conquest seems snowbally but isn't particularly at a high level of play. It's possible Thrones will be the same and that more sophisticated strategies/decks/future cards will prevent this, but if anything the plots seem to promote snowballing as it stands.

There's only a core set of cards out and 1e doesn't really have that problem.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

PaybackJack posted:

Honestly, I'm so in shock. I love L5R but haven't played since War of Honor because I didn't really have a group that ever wanted to commit to another CCG. When Netrunner came along a bunch of us jumped into it and while I moved onto other FFG LCGs the overall experience has been great and I'm so SO excited that L5R is going this direction. I never felt that the designers at AEG were particularly good but the FFG guys, seeing everything they're putting out and watching each game come out that has more and more tight balance and gameplay, I just really feel excited that L5R can benefit from that. I know the fan communities are going to be worried that FFG will tighten the reigns on the IP but honestly I couldn't care about those people, because I just loved the card game and am really happy to see it in the hands of professionals.

It's amazing how 10 years ago FFG was known for their poorly written rulebooks and games, and now everything they put out is top notch, their rulebooks are fantastic and their videos on youtube are just perfect.

The Doomtown head said that Doomtown wasn't moving but honestly in 5 years, I wouldn't be sad to see it move either.

I haven't played the CCG in over a decade but I have some really good memories attached to it, so I'm going to be all over the LCG. The barrier of entry to the CCG always seemed huge.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Pods are okay but they make there metagame turnover slooooooooooow.

There was also a huge difference in fun to me between seeing a new release in the netrunner style CS seeing one in the Star Wars style. NR was just immediately more exciting because of the granularity of options you get when you can replace cards individually.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 11, 2015

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

always be closing posted:

drat that's cheap isn't it? Just looked quick on amazon and its $43.

That's gotta be a third-party price gouger, the MSRP is only 40 bucks.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Saying GoT is mathy and hard to work out strategies for while talking about how comparing server run efficiency in netrunner is rad is also really weird to me but to each their own

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Thanks for this!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Pretty diverse worlds meta for Conquest:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Pure Space Marines win, all is well.

edit: or not, they just interviewed him first

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 7, 2015

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Martell/Tyrell and Greyjoy Fealty are two of the last decks I would've expected to see in the finals.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I like that fishing net is a way to handle all those Weapon Attachment Only characters.

Iron Mines is GREAT.

Maester's chain can be used to get rid of any of the attachments that add icons (little bird, etc) on opposing characters, which might be a useful corner case.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

KidDynamite posted:

Does anyone have some Game Of Thrones second edition resources? Just bought the game on sale at my LGS. Played the intro game and it seems very fun so I'm commited to buying into it.

Pinwiz11 posted:

My FLGS is finally moving their GoT day to one I that I can attend, so I wanted to put together a couple of decks. I can find individual decks from various tournaments, but Is there some kind of deck gauntlet out there that I can use as a starting point?

http://www.whitebookpodcast.com/ is a really good GoT podcast. They have a section for tournament winning decks that get submitted: http://www.whitebookpodcast.com/tournaments/winning-decklists-joust/

They also run the Annals of Castle Black: http://www.whitebookpodcast.com/annals/core/ This is good for seeing what people are playing, but don't take it to be revealing what's necessarily the best deck.

There's also thronesDB: http://thronesdb.com/ it's a nice deckbuilder.

There are a couple different forums at cardgamedb and agotcards but their usefulness for anything outside of spoilers and other factual information is suspect.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Greyjoy seems super good with Taking the Black, I'm not sure if I want to run them with Fealty or No Agenda. There are a lot of good neutral cards I want to try out.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm not sure if Seastone Chair does anything major for Greyjoy except give them an option. It's something I'd like in my hand, but am in no hurry to play necessarily, especially if I go my standard route of rushing with Claim 2s (followed by a Marched to the Wall, as applicable) and trying to out tempo the board state. Game of Thrones completely fucks this plan though because lol winning an intrigue as Greyjoy (unless I happen to draw a Little Bird) and Calm Over Westeros slows it down some.

Seastone Chair sounds like it'd be fantastic in melee though, since the whole Claim 2 all day every day plan doesn't really work there. Also, holy balls is Great Kraken great in melee. The power generation there is insane, since there's usually at least one player you can Stealth through unopposed really easily.

I think choosing which character to kill is super, super good right now, and it's a lot easier to trigger than Put to the Sword considering how easy it can be to get an unopposed mil challenge in Greyjoy. It'll make it simpler to set up big 4-5 power Balon turns.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

FFG just kinda sucks at keeping a distribution schedule. I don't know if it's their fault or it's the partners they work with but it happens across every one of their lines.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

House Stark big box expansion announced:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/12/2/wolves-of-the-north/

They're changing the release schedule for deluxe expansions, I hope it's for all the games and not just GoT.

quote:

A Note on Timing

Historically, LCG® deluxe expansions have been released between cycles. We are now changing this model to aid the regular release of deluxe expansions. Because of this new model, deluxe expansions like Wolves of the North may be announced and released in the midst of a cycle. The two Chapter Packs remaining in the Westeros cycle will be announced in following months.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I just deck build online and then pull the cards I need out of storage.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Do you guys take your entire collection to wherever you're playing? I usually just take the decks I'm using.

Also, for sleeving cards in the cardboard storage, penny sleeves are perfectly fine. You don't have to spend the money on nice-rear end sleeves for stuff that's in a box. It takes a little more time to sleeve up your deck, I guess, but are you doing that every day?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Serotonin posted:

It's a fantastic game but yeah I agree. You can't even make a legal deck from a single cause re set can you? You could at least make a couple of legal decks from a single Netrunner starter.

You can make a legal deck, but it'll use basically all the neutral cards in the box so you wouldn't be able to make two.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm coming around to the idea of playing 3 heroes. But if you're playing solo do you need to run 2 decks? Game sounds pretty hard. I guess you draw less encounter cards for fewer players but you have fewer spheres and options.

Still the more I read about it the more I think I'll go ahead and grab the core set at least, see how I feel after I play that.

You don't have to run 2 decks but it makes playing solo more fun and enjoyable. With straight one deck play some scenarios are incredibly difficult.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I will never forgive Sirlin for what he did to Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Are you David Sirlin

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Chaotic Flame posted:

Yeah, wasn't the maester deck pretty top tier in first edition?

They eventually nerfed it, but it was super broken and good for a while.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It's all relative, but that's the prevailing strategy in game of thrones now since they came out with a card that wipes all the low-cost characters off the board.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The new AGoT pack is super good. I want to make a Martell/Stark deck that just kills/steals everything on the other side of the board, and if I can't kill or steal them I take away their icons instead.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

PaybackJack posted:

Particularly out of Greyjoy because of all the Stealth. I'd rather Claim 1 and make them lose a guy that cost 4+ than claim 2 and have them toss away a few scrubs. Opens the board up for SeaStone chair as well.

It's pretty great with Stark, too. First Snow your 3's, ward your 4's, kill your bigger dudes. You can usually keep playing out enough cheap guys to keep the sacrifice engine going and soak claim.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

GrandpaPants posted:

Is Harmen the first Martell character with renown? Also, goddamn Nymeria Sand is loving annoying to deal with.

Pretty much. Knights of the Sun gets it from turn 4 on but nobody has it unconditionally.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Portus posted:

Planning to get into GoT LCG 2e, is there any guide of which are the best buys, or if two cores are necessary? Looking to get enough for two players, at least.

Not that there´s that much published still, but does it follows the same pattern as LoTR LCG, with Sagas and Cycles, and that you need to buy the cycle expansion first so to use certain packs? Tia.

You don't need to buy the deluxe expansions to use anything, they're just a big set of cards for one faction, and a few other cards for everyone else.

If you're just playing with friends you can buy two cores, or one core and just make proxies of everything you only get 1 copy of. Because they had to support 8 factions + neutral cards, there aren't a lot of copies of any given card in the box. I've heard mixed reports of if it's even really possible to build "legal" decks for 2 people off one core.

You're going to need 3 cores if you want to play competitively, there's not really any way around it.

edit: as far as "best buys" go, there are no bad chapter packs, and they all expand the card pool in significant ways.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 25, 2016

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

sassassin posted:

In a much broader sense, yes. New locations/characters/events etc. need to fit the thematic framework of the original stories, or else the IP just becomes a marketing tool and/or collection of recognisable names stapled onto any random bit of Fantasy fiction.

I watched The Hobbit, I'm pretty sure this happened already

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

You know who needed more good cards?

Basically anyone but Lannister. Still gonna wreck them with Martell(Banner of the Lion), so w/e.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I def don't think I'd run Levies, but Janos seems real good with old Tyrion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

frgildan posted:

Levies isn't unique or limited. You could have one or two out and really bankrupt your oppent

It's an event, not a location