Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Rules and Reference Guide for Arkham Horror LCG are up.

I hate having the rulebook in two like this.

EDIT: There is a maximum of 2 copies of a single card per deck. Less need for a second core than in LotR, maybe?

EDIT EDIT: Rules guide so bad it broke my link.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Odds are that it's less necessary than in LoTR. There is a limit of 2 copies of a card in a deck.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Ring-Maker Cycle or LotR Saga?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I've just drawn 2 Roast 'Em or Boil 'Em, the same turn I was going to engage and kill William. gently caress this game. :mad:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Hmm... for some reason I thought that the LotR Saga was already completed. Any idea how many boxes are left? I'm guessing a total of 6, 2 for each book, but I can't find anything from FFG.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Ok, I have preordered the dumb Arkham game, and I'm entitled to play it. it's not my fault my country is drat slow with translation. Why isn't the game on OCTGN, TTS or Vassal, damnit :argh:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks, I was getting only Arkham Horror boardgame results.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Lichtenstein posted:

How's the situation with amount of Arkham cores to buy?

Each investigator has 2 classes (out of 5) and can build their deck using cards from their classes plus neutral cards, with 2 copies of each max. The Core comes with 1 copy of each class card and 2 to 4 copies of each neutral card.

Odds are you want a second core. For example, the Seeker class has free (both resources and actions) card draw.I can't see any reason not to include two copies of this card.

EDIT: The illustration for Baseball Bat is awesome.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 5, 2016

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

theroachman posted:

Is there a card db somewhere?

Yes.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I've finally caved in and bought some binders and for my LOTR cards. I assume sleeves are not necessary? Also, is it safe to store all three copies of a card in the same pocket, or will they end up sticking to each other?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

So, RAW, do you have to eat at least one attack from the Ghoul Priest?

EDIT: nevermind, the card says end of round, not end of Investigator phase.

The game seems to have way less dick moves than LOTR.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Nov 21, 2016

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

COOL CORN posted:

It's explicit, but I think the confusion was based on what a "round" is, versus a turn.

In my case, it was due to expecting acts to work like LOTR quests.

Also, if Roland has a clue on his card, does that clue counts for those "if there is a clue at your Location" modifiers? I mean, you and your cards are at that Location, according to the manual.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

EdsTeioh posted:

We played it as clues on the actual location, but this way makes sense and makes that ability actually a lot better.

That's what I worry about. It means you're going to autohit everything with the .38 unless you pull some tentacles.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

COOL CORN posted:

With cards that have Uses(X) on them, is there a way to recharge those? Like cards that add bullets or charges to assets that you have on the board?

There is an "extra ammo" card for the blue role, but it isn't in the base decks.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Probably not worth it, this is just the release rush.

Speaking of Arkham, any of you find the 4-5 cost cards worth it? I have the feeling that any time I take a resource action I'm wasting my turn, so I never do. Maybe with Skids or Wendy, though, but anything non-roguish doesn't have enough resource generation.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

The Hunting Nightgaunts, which double negative modifiers you pull from the bag. You have to massively over-commit to challenges involving them. Mind Wipe gets rid of that.

Apologies is I'm misunderstanding you, but you know that the double negative modifier only applies to Evade actions, right?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Came to post about that card. Not sure whether it will work or not (it looks like something that will surprise you exactly once in an campaign, and then it's either a must-include or a never-include), but they are trying to make new things and it's great.

I really dig the Permanent Talent cards, too.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Arkham chat: Can I include a second copy of an Investigator unique asset in the deck? How much does it cost? Does it count against the 30 card limit?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Zerf posted:

Haven't done so yet, but my SO and I are going to get this or similar as a replacement for our chaos cup, which now is a normal teacup. Accidents have already happened...

That thing looks more prone to accidents than a simple teacup. Besides stability problems, you may be playing the game and suddenly and through no fault of your own sacrifice a goat, for example.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Roland with Guard Dog out and Evidence! on hand, in a location with an Acolyte. Can I move Roland away, assign the attack of opportunity to the dog, kill the Acolyte and play the Evidence! in order to gather two clues as I waltz away?

I was proud of that but I'm not sure whether I got the timing right.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Zerf posted:

So a strange rules discussion surfaced on BGG:

Being eliminated or resigning from a scenario doesn't trigger the bad stuff on cards like Cover Up and Hospital Debts. These cards are placed in your threat area, even though you don't control them (at least that is my interpretation from "Weakness" in the rules reference). Since they are in your threat area, they are also discarded during Elimination: "4. All other cards in the eliminated investigator’s threat area are placed in the appropriate discard pile.".

So during scenario 2, with the rules as written: if you draw into Cover Up and/or Hospital Debts, as long as you resign, you can straight up ignore these weaknesses. I don't like it one bit.

Alternatively, stick to the spirit of the rules and ignore this obviously unintended loophole.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Obama 2012 posted:

-If you are engaged with one or more enemies they will take an automatic Attack of Opportunity EVERY TIME you take any action other than to Fight, Evade, Parley, or Resign. If you get double-teamed by two ghouls and you take an action to equip your .45, they will both get a free attack on you. If you play an action off a card like Book of Shadows to recharge a spell or Medical Texts to try and heal yourself, enemies will rip the poo poo out of you for it.

Correct, I'd add that cards with "Fast" keyword (Elusive, for example) do not take an action to play, thus you don't take the punch.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

The deck building rules for the Core Set specify that you add in a random basic weakness after constructing your deck. That's rules as written.

Obviously feel free to choose whatever you like for theme, or do it randomly if that's your thing.

If the game ever instructs you to add more weaknesses later, it will describe clearly how to go about doing that.

I've always thought this was a dumb rule both thematically (yeah, I do know I'm paranoid/the mob is after me/whatever) and mechanically (due to cards that let you search your deck and throwing randomness in that you cannot plan for)

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

So I got the Lord of the Rings LCG for christmas and holy crap why did I wait so long to get this, the hype is real.

However I am in a slight bind because it looks like the early cycle are pretty pricey due to being in short supply, so adventure packs for Shadows of Mirkwood or Dwarrowdelf are over twice the price of later ones. I managed to snag Khazad-Dum for a decent price and intend to get the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings saga boxes, but after that how much does it matter which cycles I go for? Are the later ones doable with that sort of card pool or am I liable to get creamed?

Honestly unless you really want to go in order, I find the first two cycles pretty lacking, mission wise. They got more interesting as they tried new things.

This is a pretty good summary of the cycles and Sagas, with suggestions on what to buy depending on the theme you want (for example, if you want to play Hobbits you really want Fast Hitch), their difficulty, etc...

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Dead Marshes, I believe. It's in the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle, for sure.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

theroachman posted:

No if I'm reading it right, the modifier on a skull is a 0 instead of the bad stuff it usually is.

Yeah, you basically change a couple of -2/-3 tokens for +0. Not a bad deal, although you still deal with the added effect.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Obama 2012 posted:

Am I correct in thinking 'treat skull tokens as 0' means you ignore any scenario specific rules for them and instead treat them exactly as if they were just a 0 tile?
No. You treat the modifier as 0, but it's still a skull.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Finally got my first 6 cultist run. Third chapter was pretty easy afterwards. Skids with an early Leo de Luca is amazing.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

dexefiend posted:

There was stuff about a Derringer in here.

I like the thought that went into the theme of the cards and the Derringer/.45 is a good example.

The .45 fits better than the Derringer with Skids, for whom money is usually not a problem and who usually punches hard enough that one extra attack matters less than one extra damage. If you're playing Skids, he's usually the physical, though guy, so being able to unload a full clip of high damage rounds is very useful. He can also pick Extra Ammo, so this isn't suicidal. And who has ever seen a gangster with a derringer? On Wendy's side, an orphan is more likely to be carrying around a small, concealable peashooter than a big gun. And she really needs that extra attack if she ends up fighting for some reason.

I like Zoey. Hopefully FFG doesn't do the "men are though and pack guns, women are cerebral (sane? whatever) and sling spells" thing that happened in Arkham and Eldritch (and I assume the rest of the lot)

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Not Keyser Soze posted:

I just wanted to address this because we played a core campaign using proxies for Dunwich cards. My wife was using Zoey and this is absolutely not the case. Zoey doesn't splash as much as Roland and the big thing is she can take the Fire Axe. Once you've played your assets Zoey is, for all intents and purposes, Jason Voorhees. During Midnight Masks the rest of the group was clue hunting while a blood drenched Latina stalked the streets of Arkham, killing anyone in a hood and robes.

Good to know, thanks.

Is the Campaign book available somewhere? I won't get mine until the 20th.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Oops, misread, I thought Not Kesyser was playing the full Dunwich game. I have the base already.

Thanks anyway. :)

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 12, 2017

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Are you a native Spanish speaker, or is that an ever bigger fuckup than it seems?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Rad Valtar posted:

Looking to get into LoTR LCG and wondering what expansions I should start with? The sagas look cool but I have no idea what cycles are the best to get.

I find the early cycles a little boring, mission-wise. They are much more samey than the later ones. Both the Hobbit and LOTR sagas are top-notch and can be beaten with just the core.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Been watching a couple of L5R videos and it looks like fun. How many clans will be included in the core? And how many will you need?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Any idea on how the mechanical changes work? Because I would happily play a good conversion, but I'm a big baby afraid of change :ohdear:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

how FFG can continue to gently caress up representation in their games when they also have Netrunner around just boggles the mind.

IIRC the Arkham games (both versions of the Arkham boardgame, Eldritch Horror and Arkham LCG, and probably a few more I don't know about) all share the same investigators, so they are kinda stuck with the ones they already have. Of course, FFG could have been better about it in the 2005 reprint, ignoring the investigators in the 1987 version to make less stereotypical ones and it wouldn't be a problem now.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

Why are they stuck? they can do whatever the hell they want with their games and the Cthulhu license is free domain anyways. There is zero reason why they couldn't make new characters.

Yeah, I’m not arguing it’s a good reason, just a possible explanation why they don’t change investigators. Didn’t know about Rousseau, though.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thirsty Dog posted:

Is any of that present in the card game?

First Deluxe Expansion has a Clover Club mission that has O'Bannion in it.

Lichtenstein posted:

Yes, with all organized crime in Arkham across the Arkham Files franchise being connected to a distinctly Irish gang.

Yeah, surprisingly the Italian ones are freelance. like Leo di Luca or Joey the Rat. Skids is the exception. Hired Muscle people seem oriental-ish?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Lichtenstein posted:

Does Minh count?

Women having only "unimportant" and/or "support" roles (or 85% of them having more Sanity than Health) is another problem. One of the reasons I like Zoey is that "berserker murderer" isn't a usual role for women in the franchise

Orange Devil posted:

Wait how is Minh a martial artist?
He means Lily Chen in the Arkham Boardgame.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Lichtenstein posted:

Are you talking franchise or LCG? Because I see a 50:50 split with regards to the sanity.

Franchise wrt the Sanity thing, I don’t remember the values in the LCG..

But in the LCG the roles are still clearly separated between though men (police, criminal) and weak, unimportant women (librarian, orphan, waitress), at least in the base box.