Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I got the core set and a few decks for Marvel Champions since it seemed really great from the vids I watched, but I cannot win a single motherfucking game against even Rhino and I do not understand. We've done several 2player games for Panther/Thor, Spidey/Hulk, Hulk/Thor, Panther/Hulk, have eventually lost when scheme poo poo catches up and Rhino will be around 15 to single digit health in his 2nd form.

Latest game was going pretty well with Hulk/Spidey keeping poo poo low on schemes, Rhino down to 4 health on stage 1, and suddenly loving Bomb Scare, Hulk nemesis, and Breakin and Takin all loving come out. Two rounds later the scheme just couldn't be slowed down and it was a loss. I keep feeling like I'm missing something but we're not--everything we're doing is to the letter and yet in a 2 player game we cannot get a single win against the beginner encounter. It's just feeling like we spent money on a game that is hugely bullshit, I don't get it. Are Thor/Hulk just bad for Rhino? Are they largely meant for 3/4 player games??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

OurIntrepidHero posted:

Hmm, are you putting the Nemesis cards into the deck when you start? That would make it harder, they're normally set aside unless you draw shadows of the past.

not at all, Nemesis stuff I put aside. Obligation cards in the encounter deck, doing everything the Phase Reminder card tells us to do. Maybe we have the worst goddamn luck on the planet but the losses are just slow slogs wherein the beginning is promising and then suddenly one or two bad cards get drawn, alter ego turns to heal allow schemes to add up, and everything avalanches.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

What sets are you running?
Rhino is pure damage, so Spidey protection is a very good match. If the scheme overflows too much, you might want to run Black Panther justice as a compliment.
You can also put in more allies to give you thwart in alter ego.

Just using the Spidey out of the deck, which is Justice and doesn't have too many allies come up. Hulk and Thor too, are Aggression out-of-the-box sets, have used Panther/Protection aspect. I figure since Rhino has a very low scheme number maybe Aggression heroes with low-to-no Thwart options could be why I'm getting beaten down so hard. The core deck gives you Marvel and She-Hulk stuff too but haven't tried those.

I've read Thor/Hulk, as characters, potentially have issues in terms of Thwarting so maybe that's a factor, too.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Spiggy posted:

Are you readying your characters at the end of the hero phase? I missed that rule the first few games and that had bumped up the difficulty a few notches.

yeah, anytime I use any of the card values I exhaust and then ready before villain phase.

Maybe I'm just somehow poo poo at this game, maybe we have the worst luck in the universe, but it's really disheartening we can't win a single dang game and my brother and I spent a lot of time/money getting all the cards lol.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Black Stones posted:

Hulk and Thor is the WORST combination you could use, especially if you’re using them with their built in aggression aspect. They can push damage but require setup and don’t have great thwarting options.

Thor is downright garbage IMO. He takes way too long to get going and his benefits don’t make up for drawbacks.

Hulk is better but you might want to hold off until you have a slightly better grasp of what to play and when. Hulk shines when you know how to push your luck. He’s tricky to play, but has high rewards for being played well.

If you’re dead set on using the one of them, I would pair them with a hero that is excellent at thwarting. My friend has an Iron Man Justice deck that absolutely slays because Iron Man can ready twice. Paired with Hulk or Thor dealing with the minions you should be able to manage everything fairly well. When playing with a less than powerful hero, don’t be afraid to take a hit so you stay upright, and don’t be afraid to flip to use the alter ego abilities and build your hand size if need be. Gotta work out so you’re both never in alter ego together.

Spider-Man is okay as Justice but he has low thwarting so it’s not ideal for him. Again, try Iron Man, I also liked Captain Marvel as Justice as well.

Also, keep an eye out on cards that have been played. Sometimes if you know that Shadows of the Past hasn’t come out yet and the encounter deck is limited, giving the villain a stun actually is a bad idea. If you see that both cards that let the villain scheme has been played, it will be very safe to flip to alter ego if need be.

Thanks for the insight! I figured I def should not mix Hulk /Thor on a deck like Rhino's wherein there aren't enough minions to justify Thor and between the two of them, there's no way to stop a 14-scheme situation that can VERY quickly reach the endpoint. So, we only tried that once and figured no way it'd work---at least, not with only 2 heroes.

Thor being so lame breaks my heart--I love Thor but his shallow hand size and need to get upgrades just doesn't work very well. At least with Hulk, the hand size is somewhat justified when you can suddenly throw out a 13+ attack in one turn. Though again, Hulk with Spidey/Panther wasn't the most inspired pairing out of the box, but it was the closest we came to a win (Rhino stage 2 at 9 HP).

I haven't used Iron Man or Cap Marvel yet---since the core set only has enough cards for 4, Iron Man didn't have a deck I constructed yet. But, I think I'll def try and put some cards onto him next. Hopefully next playthrough will go better and I'll avoid pairing Spidey with Hulk, while cutting off Thor from 2-Player games with Rhino for now.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

update: we won first game! Used the out of the box Spidey/Captain Marvel decks. Marvel had a lot of threat mitigation and the myriad of snoop/resource generating cards helped a shitload, as did some well placed allies. Managed to beat Rhino with 7 HP each, scheme was on 12 so it was kind of do-or-die (all 3 decks were on their 2nd shuffle so there was an accelerator token in play). I think we lucked out a bit because Spiderman got Swinging Web Kick and Marvel had the Photon blast, which was more than enough to beat him on that turn.

I think I'll just save Hulk/Thor for 3-person games, or at the very least games where the encounter deck is centered more on minion mitigation as opposed to the "rush" aspect of the Rhino one. I assumed all encounter decks had the same kind of thing i.e. small-value schemes but it seems like the other villains afford you more time in terms of the scheme length? I suppose that's why the core set recommended to use Marvel/Spidey's threat-mitigation-heavy decks against the quickpaced Rhino one. I have not used a Leadership hero yet so no experience on how that one works.

Idk how Ultron/Klaw go but I'm just assuming all 3 are pretty different in terms of what decks you'd want to use?

edit: also good tip on that Thor deck. I've been watching a shitload of Team Covenant and don't really see Thor there so to see that they had a win versus Goblin Heroic with that Thor deck in 2-player is pretty cool. Maybe our mistake was playing Hulk/Thor aggression decks out of box that were NOT suited for an encounter with such a tiny scheme threshold.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 22, 2020

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

pretty interesting how the deck considered the beginner deck for 2-players gets easier with 1 player but somewhat tougher with 3 or 4. I came into the game assuming things would be the same no matter the situation/deck/etc but now obviously I see the hero/aspect choice along with the encounter deck does really make a big difference in strategy. I guess that's why the game was designed with being modular in mind, so you can adjust aspects you use.

Gonna try Klaw with 2 or maybe 3 players tonight, figure we'll use Spidey/CapMarvel/the suggested Thor deck for that one.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

I teach new players with one handed captain America protection against Rhino. They always win and it takes 25 to 30 minutes.

The rulebook suggest you try Capn Marvel/Spidey versus rhino. I think they’re pretty solid combo and marvel gets better the more and more expansions you get. Especially the red skull box, it drops like three or four new allies for her.

I was stubborn and thought "Thor and Hulk, cool, I like them, they probably will smash through poo poo" and made that mistake without understanding there was a good reason to start with Carol/Spidey. You can smash poo poo, sure, but the scheme will beat you. Which makes sense when Hulk and Thor aren't exactly rocket scientists. I just really wish Thor had a 5-hand for Hero form; I never have drawn Asgard to mitigate his biggest weakness.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

had a 3 player game with Thor, Strange, and Spidey and maybe we were taking too long but Thor had like EVERY upgrade possible, had a tac van upgrading scheme threshold, and were doing pretty well all game---but around the time Rhino got to Level 2, a side scheme plus Vulture's scheme both came up + deck recycled + Sandman with Tough came out, pretty much ending the game when it was just not possible to stop the main scheme from finishing. Bad draw happened which was I guess more disappointing since Thor just got a shitload of major cards and Strange did too, ah well.

I do like how Spidey Justice has a lot of stuff like the tac van and beat cop to just block off a lot of scheme stuff. Though it is a little lame going thru such a longass game and then we got bursted to death in 2 rounds of bad sidescheme pulls lol.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

KPC_Mammon posted:

We just got through every villain with an Aggression Hulk and Protection Spiderman duo that pretty much never swapped back to our alter ego form after switching. It was a ton of fun just smashing poo poo knowing that Spiderman could block forever while drawing a massive hand.

We had a few losses when we foolishly defeated the first phase of the villain turn one before spending some time setting up but with good play and deck building you can make teams that don't thwart often and just race the clock. I wouldn't suggest it for a new player.

Do you have your decks listed anywhere? Curious what your Hulk looks like versus mine and what you're using on your Spidey

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

that Scarlet Witch obligation card is so funny to me. gee do I want to exhaust my hero, or potentially put like up to 6 threats on a scheme in one go, which sounds insane especially when this is a character whose gimmick is eating up both your deck and the villain's. I guess they did balance it out by saying she gets TWO of those in a deck.

I really like the overall gimmick though of disintegrating decks to power down the enemy attacks or being able to play the stuff you want from Wanda's arsenal.

As far as new cards go, Crisis Averted seems incredible. Is it the highest cost-to-Thwart card to date?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lemony posted:

Exhausting always being better is basically a perfect example of what I dislike about the design decisions in the game. If that is the intended effect, why not just make the card do that instead of offering a false choice. You can even keep the alternative downside as a mandatory trigger if you cannot exhaust for some reason.

Off the top of my head, when you draw an obligation it should go into play like a scheme. Have it provide an ongoing negative effect until you get rid of it. Then have it so only that specific hero is allowed to interact with it and make the way you deal with it thematic. Maybe Thor gets to just deal a butt load of damage to his, but Spiderman needs to spend a turn or two as Parker to deal with his.

maybe it's just me and my bad luck but man the last thing I need is another side scheme to deal with on the reg lol

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Glad this thread is jumping again! I played a game with 4 players recently and it was just as chaotic as I thought it would be (We lost against Klaw after a decent game---it was Thor/Spidey/Shulk/America).

I really love the new cards that have been coming out with Ant-Man/Wasp/Quicksilver. Echoing what's been said about Team-Building Exercise being great for Thor, and it looks like the Brute Force cards that come with Quicksilver will be great for Hulk.

Thor/Hulk being the two heroes that seem to be left behind more often than most has been a bummer but I feel like they are slowly being "fixed" with cards that really benefit them. A lot of people compare Ant-Man's Giant mode as a better Hulk outright so anything that gives more to Hulk is cool, though I sort of think he might never really catch up to other heroes and that blows. Thor, though, has a lot of great options and only needs one or two upgrade/support cards for a spare resource/hand size to get going. Hulk being 4-hand/discard every turn just legit sucks and I wish it was either a 5-hand that's discarded every turn, or a normal 4-hand.

Anyway regardless of that stuff, the new cards for almost every aspect in the Ant-Man/Wasp/QS/Witch cycle look ridiculously great. Those 4 are worth getting just for the cards to spread around alone; genuinely feels like they all include incredible stuff. Star-Lord looks loving insane and likely will have huge highs and lows with games not lasting long for him, for better or worse lol.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I have a buttload of Ultra Pro deckboxes for stuff and they work nicely

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Pro-Magic-Pokemon-YuGiOh/dp/B074DVF48M/ref=sr_1_20?dchild=1&keywords=card+box&qid=1616603102&sr=8-20

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Agent Venom looking more like Punisher lol. Has like one actual Symbiote power and a shitload of guns.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Carteret posted:

You got the deets? I must have missed it.

Image of it is here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelcham...utm_name=iossmf

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

medchem posted:

Maybe I’m too casual of a comics person, but those upcoming releases are not as interesting compared to what came out last year. I didn’t even know there was a Flash Thompson Venom. Marvel needs to open up Fantastic Four and X-Men for them asap.

They also better crush it mechanics-wise and not create a bunch of situational stuff.

The guys who do the Crisis Protocol miniature game just got into X-Men and X-Force and it's great. Fantasy Flights said X-men are def coming--it's absolutely 100% allowed for them to use--but they also already have their roadmap set for like the next year and a half so no telling when they'll get here. They did set the stage with Warlock/Avalanche cards now in the game and the "Brotherhood" and "X-force" keywords exist so they def have permission.

I do agree with you though about the next few characters though, I would have liked less Avengers but unfortunately, much like Crisis Protocol, the Avengers came first. Now that game is knee-deep in X-Men, X-Force, and Spider-Man villains and it's great.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I've always liked Arkham better since it actually gives options to retreat/take alternate paths if you get a bad draw for certain scenarios; you can still move forward in a cycle even if you didn't get the result you wanted in one of the campaign points. Sometimes in Marvel Champions you get a really loving bad draw from the encounter deck + your own and it's extremely difficult to circumvent.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

MChampions def has a teensy bit of power creep with some newer characters but the bosses in the expansion seemed like they were really going extreme with it, gently caress I have enough trouble with the bosses already out

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the reddit threads about people losing to Ronan in round 1 are crazy. Also I've never understood the people in some MChamps boards saying the game is "too easy" when I've gotten hosed over quite swiftly due to the card draws---the game has never felt easy but then again I've never done the maximum min-max "specific deck just for this villain" with the same 3 heroes as some others do.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Black Stones posted:

Want a fun time seeing people brag about their e-penis? Load up the BGG forum for this game and see people go “oh Ronan is just as easy as Kang” “well the game was too easy until now, I always played on expert and it was boring”

They just can’t comprehend that a lot of people didn’t play the game for ball crushing difficulty.

I don't quite get how people are crushing the game on the reg when I've watched countless Team Covenant streams/vids wherein they march through Heroic difficulty games for hours and get defeated like 60% of the time. It was a pretty hard game---I'd say possibly harder than Arkham imo????---even beforehand, and I thought with the last 4 or 5 heros they put out and new cards it would shore up the advantage I could have vs villains.

I've read that the game is intended for 2/3 players, with solo not really being the intended way to play / 4 players getting too chaotic. Idk if there's truth to that but I've usually tried to always play two-handed, as it lends itself better to "this hero handles schemes, this one handles damage" or benefiting from someone using a resource upgrade for the other character.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

John Romero posted:

I have only become aware of the existence of card games like this in 2021 during a recent barnes and noble trip. This is fascinating, and a great idea because I always hated booster packs.

Which games are the best to pick up right now? I'm interested in some level in most of the properties that FFG makes.

Some of these can be played one-player, right?

I saw there was a DC-based one with a ton of content, but it wasnt made by FFG- is that one any good?

idk what the DC thing is, never heard of that----but it depends on what you like.

Marvel Champions is centered around a straight up fight between you and a villain, managing a scheme counting down and punching the enemy while building up your character upgrades. There's no narrative structure to it so it's more a fighting game than anything. That being said there are a fuckload of heroes and scenarios to choose from and endlessly modulate, so you can really experiment and have a blast. You can play solo but usually this mean "two handed" with 2 heroes out.

Arkham Horror is more RPG focused and longform, with things called "cycles" wherein you get a box set starter and then like 6 mythos packs to build upon a narrative. You're not only potentially fighting monsters but also uncovering clues and making decisions on where to go and how to progress---it's possible to avoid fighting stuff with the right character deck and tools. You can also play with 1 to 4 investigators here like Champions.
Arkham is an amazing experience but it's not pick up and play like Champions---it's more akin to DnD with the way you build a story and can fail a scenario but still move on to the next one, albeit with caveats to what your character faces or does.

One other thing you need to know is that FF Games are VERY, very bad at restocking Arkham, meaning when mythos packs go out of stock, you won't see them again for like 5 months. Marvel Champions is the exact opposite.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

John Romero posted:

I'm gonna pick up Marvel and Arkham. PvP is great but playing a single player card game at night with a beer and peace and quiet sounds lovely.

wild about CCGs. sorry about being off topic but what is booming right now? Magic is always magic and I know pokemon is going wild because of youtube

if you wanna start with stuff in addition to the Marvel/Arkham core boxes, I recommend:

-- the Green Goblin scenario pack + Dr. Strange / Thor / Black Widow for Marvel, which gives you a nice variety of different heroes and the best scenario pack. If you have to get just one hero pick Strange, who has really fun and unique mechanics.

-- Dream Eaters or Path To Carcosa cycle for Arkham. Dream Eaters is some very cool and trippy Inception poo poo while Carcosa has some of the best scenarios in the game. The bad thing here is Carcosa is still not restocked in most places, but Dream Eaters last I checked was still available in entirety on the FF store.
The one-shot "War of the Outer Gods" standalone scenario is also really amazing.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I loved most of the initial run of Marvel Champions but have hopped off playing for a while due to the villain decks being catered to the most hardcore players imaginable. I kind of want them to just put out some standalone villain decks for a while and/or tone down some of the poo poo you have to deal with. Also kind of seems like there's been some power creep with the hero decks which isn't too big of a deal--I can still play Spidey, Thor, She-Hulk--but I'm wondering if they can have some errata/added cards for poor shmucks like Hulk.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Black Stones posted:

Which Villains are you talking about?

Everything in Rise of Red Skull is doable on casual. Me and my friend cleared with little issues. It wasn’t until Galaxy’s Most Wanted with Nebula and Ronan that they decided to go pants on head stupid with the difficulty.

Hulks kit is perfectly fine IMO, they don’t need errata/added cards they need to change Hulk. Hulks downside just sucks, plain and simple. It’s too big a barrier because you can do zero planning. Drew an avengers mansion? Better hope it came with some resource cards or goodbye! What a bad idea.

The only other hero I think actually does need a full change of cards is She-Hulk as her kit plain sucks. Needs another of the heavy damage card, and stuff like ground stomp just sucks. 2 cost for 1 damage to everything, oh yeah that’s real awesome! Orrrrrrrr, I could just play Ant-Man and do a 3 cost for 8 damage and 1 to minions instead. That sounds infinitely better.

I've had the same issues you did with Collector/Nebula/Ronan lol. I think it was a big disappointment compared to Zola/Crossbones/Red Skull which had challenge but is more doable. I'm hoping with their next scenario pack with The Hood it'll be more toned down.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

Star lord is a lot of fun, you get a different risk reward game than any other hero.

I want to pick up his card pack if only because all those Aerial cards would be loving great for Thor/Iron Man.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ripley posted:

The next big box for Marvel Champions is officially announced, after being leaked a lifetime ago: The Mad Titan's Shadow.

did not expect Spectrum at all, or Adam Warlock, but they fit the theme rather well. I'll hold off on this box though til I hear about how the campaign feels. Expecting since this is the Thanos set it might be even more bullshit than some of the GMW stuff.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Scarlet Witch and Dr. Strange players are going to loving love all those Mystic cards. I do really like the Avengers tower mission gimmick / Infinity Gauntlet being a modifier you can attach to older encounter sets. Makes more sense to do modifier decks as a way to approach difficulty instead of "hey let's just make the base villain really loving annoying and unfun"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

hulk/thor versus rhino was def one of the worst combinations you could have done if not the worst lol so yeah I'm not surprised either. You are correct though that both of them rely on "draw something that gives you an extra resource in the first 3 turns of the game or suffer greatly" though Thor gets some leeway with some better upgrades + not having to discard his whole loving hand constantly.

the best Hulk in the game is his Ally card, which thematically works out better than his hero card. He's a very powerful monster to drop in for cheap, can tank hits or dish them out, but also can cause chaos to you.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 27, 2021

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah Thor has a lot of ways to mitigate small hand size with support/upgrades early and he has genuinely great cards to use. Now he's going to get even more cool poo poo with the Star-Lord cards for Aerial stuff. Probably has a bit of difficulty in solo sometimes but when I play regularly with a two-hander, he's a fantastic mitigation hero for minions and doing big damage.

Addedum to Thanos box: Loki and Hela are the other 2 scenarios. Weird they weren't mentioned but on the Asmodee product page, they're on it: https://retail.us.asmodee.com/catalogue/marvel-lcg-mad-titans-shadow_3215/

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm picking up Star Lord's pack pretty much for Air Supremacy/Beta Ray Bill/the 3 Aerial card triplets for Thor. Dive Bomb, Ever Vigilant, and Agile Flight seem like such no brainers for a character who will constantly have the Aerial trait and will be able to just explode with 8-damage cards or shore up thwarting.

Probably will give Laser Blaster, Target Practice, and Blaze of Glory for the other Guardians characters. Drax/Gamora/Venom cards combined can just give me ally cards for Quill and the others and that will be my GotG teamwork deck. I have zero interest in getting the awful Galaxy box so I won't be getting Rocket/Groot ally cards, oh well.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it wouldn't work for Champions but for a game like Arkham Horror that routinely sells out of like, part 2 and part 5 of a 6-part mythos cycle, it's a way better idea. Nothing was worse than getting a core box and then having like only half of the expansion packs, which would just zigzag in order depending on which random packs were unavailable. Never had trouble getting Champions stuff but Arkham only JUST restocked a lot of their content after a year of some cycles being rather extinct.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

She-Hulk is like Hulk in that their Ally cards are way better representations of them, in utility and theme. So if you love those characters, put them in an Aggression deck.

I've seen Wasp ranked as one of the lowest in tier lists but I'm not sure why. Haven't played her but her cards seem pretty good?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it's good to know the Marvel Champions devs read the feedback and might take it to heart. It's still a fairly young game from the premier LCG company and probably has quite a few years on their roadmap. So, I'm glad they'll learn at least some things from GMW and tinker with it in a way that uses modular sets to increase the difficulty over simply making the base encounter sets crushingly difficult. At the end of the day, LCGs being extraordinarily modular (for both villain and hero decks) is what makes them so replayable and fun.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

McGurk posted:

How is Marvel for solo play? It would be nice to get into a game that’s still in its early life.

I love playing it solo, though by that I mean "a hand of controlling two heroes" since playing with just one, even by yourself, is really fuckin miserable imo. It's perfectly fine to play that way, though going above 2 heroes is an insane proposition, as I can't imagine how rough it'd be tracking 3 or god forbid 4 on your own.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Black Stones posted:

Nebula hero pack announced.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2021/6/17/unyielding-persistence/

Plays just like her villain counterpart. Seems really neat and has some drat good Justice cards in her pack already.

I really like what they did here.

interesting kind of mashup of Hulk/Black Panther stuff i.e. upgrades having effects through activations and forced discard. That Venom card will be very good for Justice decks. Really like Brains Over Brawn, too.

I'm curious what War Machine and Vision will bring to the table. I know we're only just learning about the Thanos box but if the future "Sinister Intentions" box is indeed a Sinister Six expansion then man I can't wait for that later this year.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lotta good ally cards and Leadership ally synergy in that War Machine pack. Ammo gimmick looks pretty fun too. Use allies to cover you while you switch off, then reload and spray the enemies down.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, the Hood modular stuff looks like a fantastic answer to the last villain set. Decent challenge with nigh limitless modular potential. Really good stuff here, def picking that up for the sheer amount of variety in it

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I have lost every singly 2-player game I've had with Star Lord lol. Might be because he is absolutely not suited to go against Rhino or something but jesus, thought I'd just try him out against the first villain of the game and I've had crushing losses with him teaming with Venom, Spider-Man, She-Hulk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

If you use his power every turn, you’re going to lose because you’ve changed the difficulty of the game to Heroic. If you use it sparingly it can combine with some fun guardian effects to put the hurt down.

I didn't use it at all after the first game but still lost, though I think it's because the starter deck of Leadership isn't really that great for him? The gimmicks included don't seem to benefit his innate abilities unless it's just meant to set up meatshields for when encounter cards spill out. I think the initial starter deck for him is just not working for me.

I also had incredibly bad luck when Spidey's nemesis came out and then Vulture started adding an additional encounter card while both characters were low health, so it ended on a big downward swing.