Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
For you guys on OCTGN, I'd really like to try some of these games out before I commit to buying them. I'm particularly interested in LoTR, SW:TCG, and A:NR. I'm even sort of interested in Pathfinder if anyone plays that. I don't have PMs but I'll idle on OCTGN. I'm on late Central time. If you ping you might have to wait a bit as I'm playing the hell out of Hearthstone these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Jedit posted:

If people really want to know what it's about, I'll do a four-sided LP of the classic game (using some of the new rules for shootouts) in the same manner as my Shadowfist LP. I have eight bicycle decks together already, so I can either pick the four that most closely match the new factions (Law Dogs, Black Jacks, Sweetrock and Whateleys) or pick decks that show off everything bar Cheating (Black Jacks, Texas Rangers, Collegium and Sioux Nation).

Count me in as interested.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I'm asking this here since more people here probably use OCTGN rather than the Boardgames thread. Has anyone played that game they are pushing in OCTGN chat, The Spoils. Here is the URL for the game: The Spoils.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Jedit posted:

I'm going to try to start in on the Doomtown LP at or before the weekend. Can people let me know if there's anything particular they're curious about and which set of decks they'd prefer (most like DTR or "all bells and whistles").

I dont' have much preference, probably because everything I know about the game is from the website. So anything that showcases the game is fine by me. Appreciate you doing it.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

PaintVagrant posted:

Ok, so I got a chance to get on a device with an actual keyboard. Conquest thoughts:

3 Cores are going to be necessary for competitive play, for reasons mentioned earlier in the thread. Specifically, because when you lay out a factions available cards, 80% of them are single card only in a Core. Only 2 cars per faction have 2 copies in a core, not including the warlord's locked signature cards. This also creates a situation where you end up with a shitload of extra unusable warlord cards, and 6+ copies of cards of a type. I am not super happy with this, but it feels like an acceptable tradeoff for a game that comes with such a huge variety of factions and cards in the base set. It is just more of your money early :v:

Runaway winner only seems to be an issue with newer players. If one player understands how to win the command phase convincingly, and do so early, and the other player fumbles around or makes a few bad decisions...it's over. But in my experience, 2 players who had some games under their belt rarely had this issue. The only way I can see an early scoop is if you get no/low units in your first hand, mulligan it, and end up with the same in your second hand. The issue being that units are 95% of the economy in this game, as well as the path to your win conditions. Being dealt early hands with few units can put you in a doom spiral for sure, as you will not be able to grab the high-draw planets to fix your problem. I never had it happen to me, but I suppose its possible. I did have a game where I went down 2 planets, had a hand with no units and no draws from command phase...and ended up winning the game. This goes into my next point, which is...

Planet icon order is loving huge. If you see a table where there is not a "win first 3 planets to win" situation, or you can look at the combination of colors and see that some are not as high priority, use that to your advantage! It is good play to skip a 1st planet that you can afford to give up while you win some command battles, especially if the initiative is flipping over to you next turn. Initiative can make or break your battle plan at the huge planet 1 brawls that end up happening later in the game.

Ranged and Ambush /anything that can screw with the normal order of battle, either attacking first (initiative/warlord/ranged) are very solid, but when you can throw in units as combat actions (hand of isha/space marine scouts/elysian drop dudes) you can swing a battle out of nowhere. There is an IG card that gives 3 units ranged, and it is the bane of my fuckin existence. It has singlehandedly swung a last planet battle against me in at least 3 games. Very powerful.

Shields are a great mechanic. As long as your opponent has cards, the existence of shields really starts to screw with the math of your battles. I generally found that I wanted to overkill by 1 damage if possible, because there are very few shield cards with more than 1 icon. This game has a lot of cool bluff mechanics, and this is one of them. I have skipped using shields on important things to convince my opponent that I didn't have any, then use it at the last minute to turn the battle my way.

Assassination, and causing early damage to their warlord, is very good. It is easy to create a situation where your opponent is gunshy of your first attack (initiative or ranged/etc) just taking out their warlord before they get a chance to de-commit. I feel that putting high early damage or bloodying their warlord early is an extremely smart tactic, and sometimes worth giving up a battle to do so.

So far, I have played the starter decks for every faction, I think. I have deck-built/played the following:

IG + SM - really nasty deck, straken buffs most of the marine stuff and between scouts, elysians, and that stupid "give 3 units ranged" card, I really had a lot of trouble beating this deck.

Eldar + DE - very finicky and difficult to use, but ultimately I feel it will be very powerful. I wasnt playing the various yard combos as well as I could have, which I think is the key. I mostly just put a few DE ranged units in the deck, with a few cool events.

Orks + IG - I only got a game with this deck, but it was a monster against the earlier mentioned IG/SM build. I ran enraged orks with the +3 hp equipment from IG, poo poo like that. It took a punch and then hit back crazy hard. I barely drew any units early and still won out later when I got a bunch of flash gits and goff boyz out and started rolling 1st planets.

Overall the game really clicked with me, and I am super loving pumped to dig deeper and find more gold in the base cards. It scratches the LCG deck building itch and fits a bunch of other criteria that I have not found in other LCGs, which is theme I like, games that take ~30 minutes, heavy battle theme, and unique mechanics.

Thats a lot of :words: hope someone finds it useful.

This is a great review. Anything you didn't like? Which factions/decks do you think we're hurry most by lack m of multiples?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

omnibobb posted:

Yeah that makes me super stoked. I just don't know if I'll have the money or 3 sets between this and Doomtown.

And I'm sure no one in the store will play it :(

Go go db0!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

Someone define what "listmaking game" means because I feel like this is just a really snarky condescending way to talk about games where the deck is preconstructed and boy howdy that's a great way to lead off your argument, condescension.

It sounds like the bog standard "Deck X is too strong and everyone runs it" complaint in disguise. You know basically the thing that happens in literally every CCG/TCG ever made. In fairness to him, he did make the latter point, but if you know that's the case then I don't know how you'd be surprised when it in fact happened.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Dre2Dee2 posted:

There's a version of Conquest out for OCTGN. Played one game with it, everything seemed to work perfectly. This is just for the game, no card images :filez:

https://drive.google.com/#folders/0B8geCsIJfzWAZklDemNoU3FCNHM

Got rocked pretty well by a Chaos/Ork deck, I was running DE/Eldar. Orks are so much stronger stat wise, you really feel it at least with the deck I was running. I definitely made a few misplays deploying people at bad spots and wasting a shield or two, but I'm definitely really loving this game. There's a lot of decisions to make every turn. Do not fail winning command phases, you will starve to death with no money or cards, haha.

Carteret and I played a game last night on OCTGN. We just went with the core Ork and Marine Decks since the primary purpose was to learn the mechanics. We had to knock it off because it was getting late. If we had played it out I have a feeling he would've won. I'd managed to draw a bunch of cards but was lacking in resources. Orks seem pretty strong in their base form. Marines seemed a little more all over the place to me. My favorite card in the Marine deck after one game is the location card that you can exhaust to bring a unit that you just got destroyed in combat back into your hand. Eager recruit is nice too although he managed to negate what I thought was going to be a nice play on my part using shields. The shield mechanic is pretty nifty, if annoying when you are on the wrong end of it. Not really sure what the focus of a Marine deck should be but Orks seemed pretty straightforward. Really a lot of factors to juggle when playing and considering what you are going to do. Really fun game.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Carteret and I tilted again last night, this time we were able to play out the game. We picked random core decks, he got Chaos, I rolled Orks first but we played those the first night so the reroll gave me Eldar. Chaos is hella strong out of the box, they can poo poo out some serious damage. Eldar have some nifty abilities and definitely requires some good play to get the most out of those abilities. Carteret ended up winning but his victory has an asterisk next to it because my warlord got bloodied at the very first combat round of the game due our misunderstanding of a rule. I'll get you next time Carteret! :argh:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Carteret posted:

:smugdog: 2-0, asterisk or not, still sounds good to me. :smugdog: How this game handles actions at instant speed leads to silly stuff, like Zarathur’s Flamers attacking, then sacrificing for extra damage. The burst potential is something to be aware of.

Being able to use an exhausted unit's ability seems counterintuitive to me and has some potential to be broken. But it seems to be an intentional design decision, so we'll see. Perhaps it was done to keep the game length down.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Carteret posted:

All answers lead here.

By the way the thread on BGG turned into a big slapfight over using the images. Not sure if it was warranted or not.

e: If anyone wants to play on OCTGN look me up on steam, same username as here.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Jedit posted:

Oh, that kind of playmat. No, I don't think there is. However, apart from having two Sites per location and there being two graveyards per player the layout is very similar to Netrunner Corp.

Hows the Doomtown Reloaded LP coming out did I just completely missed you putting it up? The link someone posted to the article about the winner's deck at Gen Con has seriously piqued my interest in this game.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Jedit posted:

I haven't done it yet. I'm being lazy, I guess, but I need to do it all in one day as I don't have anywhere to keep a trestle set up for longer.

Just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed it somehow. I'll be happy whenever it gets done and if you don't have the time or inclination, such is life. I'll just look at some gameplay videos on Youtube. I know Team Covenant has a full gameplay demo posted there from Gen Con that I've been meaning to watch.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

LordNat posted:

That is fair. Just been seeing it a bunch on OCTGN so thought it might get it's own topic like Doomtown: Reloaded has.

Mostly I was looking for advice on constructed Tau. Right now I am focusing on Drones for grabbing planet's resources early and loading up the Ranaged guy or the one that gets +1 Damage for each Attachment and trying to snipe the other players Warlord.
Most of my problems have been coming from Chaos and Orks when we get a 3 planet win flop. They can always grab the first world and just chain off there.
So any advice about how to slow down aggression on a flop like that?

Whats your name on OCTGN? Same as my SA name for me so if you see me on send a request.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

LordNat posted:

That is fair. Just been seeing it a bunch on OCTGN so thought it might get it's own topic like Doomtown: Reloaded has.

Mostly I was looking for advice on constructed Tau. Right now I am focusing on Drones for grabbing planet's resources early and loading up the Ranaged guy or the one that gets +1 Damage for each Attachment and trying to snipe the other players Warlord.
Most of my problems have been coming from Chaos and Orks when we get a 3 planet win flop. They can always grab the first world and just chain off there.
So any advice about how to slow down aggression on a flop like that?

Just spitballing here since I've only played a handful of games and haven't played Tau at all. At first glance it seems unless you get a nice draw you aren't going to be able to challenge them at planet 1 from the get go. Chaos and Ork can put out a fair amount of damage fairly cheaply , that's their schtick. And if you get a planet flop where they can get win on the first 3, you are definitely on the back foot. I'd use that first turn to pick up as many resources as you can off other planets, with the added benefit of being able to activate some planet abilities. This should allow you to deploy in force to challenge the next planet. It also looks like the Tau warlord can get beastly pretty quickly so take advantage of that as well. I know that advice is a little generic but unless you get a godly draw you probably won't be able to go head to head early with Tau, esp. against the two factions you named. With all the attachments you have you should be be able to equalize pretty quickly.

Tau can splash Space Marine or Eldar. Off the top of my head I'd say SM would be more helpful but I'd have to look through their cards to see exactly what would be useful

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Carteret posted:

So, how about after having played like 5 games on OCTGN, I learned TODAY that combat turns aren't fought on planets that aren't (a) the first planet or (b) have a warlord. Therefore, you can only have battle abilities on planets trigger on 3 planets MAXIMUM a turn. Vulturesrow, I think our turns will go much quicker now. lol

Didn't I say that at one point? And then we decided I was wrong?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

PaintVagrant posted:

Anyone want a game of Conquest on OCTGN tonight? I am free for a few hours.

How late?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Would there be any interest in a PbP of the LOTR game? A long time ago I ran the first scenario of the Core Set for 4 players just using the single sphere decks. I can probably dig up my old OP and spreadsheet to showcase it again.

100% yes.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Have any websites/blogs/etc emerged as go to sources on Conquest strategy? I started playing with forums poster Carteret when it first hit octgn but then I got crushed with school, work, life, the usual and now I'm definitely behind the curve on how the strategy scene has played out.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Would the Star Wars LCG be a good intro to the LCG genre for kids? My kids love games like Dominion and Ascension so I'd like to try an LCG with them. LotR is an option but they like Star Wars better.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

There should never be any stuff in your deck you don't want to draw and while you get to put 1 thing in your hand that you might want 5 other things you might also want are gone. Unconditional draw is awesome, search x, take 1 and put all the other stuff you searched away can easily gently caress you. The search stuff can really pay off (when there's one card or one set of cards that will simply win you the game right then), but the higher the ratio of keep to search the worse they can go wrong.

Having a certain amount of a card in your deck and being forced by a search effect to remove 1 or more of them to the bottom of your deck is the definition of decreasing the value of future draws. When that happens you know for a fact you can't draw those cards again (unlike the more common search and shuffle Netrunner uses).

That's not exactly true. True, it is likely that you went be able to draw all the way to those cards. But you have also effectively thinned your deck and you given yourself a huge piece of information in knowing what those cards are that you can't draw. But you aren't decreasing the value of future draws.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

You are literally trying to claim getting rid if cards is never bad because the next card after the ones you got rid of could be the one you need. Which doesn't work when there's a limited number of each card in the deck.

Hell there's a very simple factual way to put it:
If you need 1 card to win the match right now and you search you can win with the search. If you need 2 cards to win the match later and you search you can lose because of the search.

You seem to have a very results oriented view which is the completely wrong way to look at games where luck is an element in winning. Yes sometimes the search effect will screw you. But it's more often that it will improve your chance to win.

If you are at the point where you need exactly one card to win right now or you need exactly two cards to win your chances of winning weren't very high at that point which either means your deck was outclassed, opponent got a God draw, or you misplayed. You're essentially saying I need to topdeck to win. That's the point of desperation and at that point you definitely want the search/draw card.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

Thanks for agreeing with me. The search effect is, because of it's Conquest specific variant, a desperation play.

Lol not even close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ChiTownEddie posted:

My buddy and I are hoping to start playing on OCTGN too. His wife is expecting and it is just much easier to not setup a whole card game with a child haha.

Also the latest Cardboard of the Rings podcast has an interview with the designer of LOTR LCG Caleb, super interesting. http://cardboardoftherings.com/

Is it worth setting up a Google spreadsheet for OCTGN usernames? I'd love to play games there, at least when I'm not playing hearthstone.