Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Started getting into Marvel Champions again, because with Arkham Horror moving to its new release model, I need something with regular releases to waste money on. Few questions:

1: Is there an upgraded rules reference, they've introduced a whole lot of new keywords and mechanics since I last played.

2: How do modular villain encounter sets work, I know some villains straight-up say 'you can use any one', while others have specific ones mentioned that you're supposed to use. If I use random encounter sets for those in the latter category instead, will it significantly break the game?

3: How are the default/recommended decks in this game, I'm lazy to deckbuild but I know the ones for Arkham at least are hot garbage and you're better off picking any random deck off ArkhamDB at random than using those.

4. If I play the campaign villains standalone, are there any difficulty adjustments I have to make, because I know you earn campaign upgrades that make you stronger if you play them campaign-style, and I don't know how viable it is to fight them as printed without those.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Nov 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Been meaning to get more use out of my Marvel Champions collection, so over the course of the Christmas break I tossed together a few netdecks and managed to get some 2-handed games in:

#1: Wolverine (Aggression) and Venom (Justice) vs Rhino

Quick tutorial villain to get back into the swing of things, decent warmup but it went by so quickly I barely got a feel for the decks. It's Rhino.

#2: Wolverine (Aggression) and Venom (Justice) vs Klaw

Slightly longer game, got a better feel of the decks this time. Wolverine was pretty straightforward to pilot, but then again there's not all that much variety in Aggression decks. Venom was focused on confuse-locking him, allowing me quite a lot of safe turns to hang out in Alter-Ego form. Not all that much in the way of actual threat removal though, so after this game I swapped out some of the confusion events for thwarting ones.

Side note: I know it's an artifact of the times, but Venom being Flash Thompson, The Amazing Gun-Man in this game (as well as a Guardian (?) Space Knight (??)) always feels a bit off, given that they've been leaning harder into Eddie Brock Venom in recent years, along with the whole 'he is a horrible slime monster from space who eats people' aspect (with varying degrees of 'oh no' to 'hell yeah' depending on media). Maybe there'll be another Venom down the line that hews closer to that approach, though.

#3: Ghost-Spider (Protection) and Black Widow (Justice) vs Green Goblin (Risky Business)

Not too difficult a fight, though I ran Running Interference for the modular encounter set, which usually tends to be a fairly easy one to deal with. Pretty easy fight, but I like the whole dynamic of slowly needling Osborn till he gets mad enough to go Goblin Mode, at which point you can beat him up with impunity.

#4: Captain America (Leadership) and Domino (Protection) vs Crossbones

Had to call this one off early for dinner, but things were probably going poorly enough to call this one a loss. I think next time I need to stop worrying about keeping his schemes at stage 1 or 2, and focus on just building up my board and keeping some resources in hand to discard the Experimental Weapons. Maybe a protection deck built around stunlocking him would be useful too.

Before I play any more, I think I'm going to print out something that helps me track the modified hero/villain stats, it's easy to lose track of them, especially temporary boosts from a one-shot.