Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Feeple posted:

I'm actually a little miffed at a friend who is a pretty decent gamer, and a strong Netrunner player gets MEGA pissed off at the GoT game, and we're just loving around with the core set. Valar Morghulis just existing makes him upset, and man he was pissed in a 3 player game when he discovered that being in first place means #2 and 3 start ganing up on you.

AGoT is its won brand of fun, but holy poo poo if you like a sense of permanence to your cards look elsewhere. You have to be able to get over dudes dying and "whoops, dude killed from loving nowhere." Much like Diplomacy, this game needs a separation of your ego from the game.

I have no problem with people dying in AGoT. Having played games like Magic, Vs. System, and WoW TCG, I'm used to that level of fragility in your cards. Of course, in AGoT, there's the dead pile which makes things a bit worse. But at least in AGoT, you can play additional copies of your name cards to protect any copies in play from dying.

Overall, I'm very happy with the thematic link between the card game and the books. I think the card game captures that very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

More details here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1218542/upper-deck-just-announced-gencon-2014vs-back

It just looks like reprinted playsets of select cards that were originally printed in Marvel Origins. I don't see any new cards nor any discussion of streamlined rules.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Uhh...they changed the card backs. WTF?

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Maybe I’m too casual of a comics person, but those upcoming releases are not as interesting compared to what came out last year. I didn’t even know there was a Flash Thompson Venom. Marvel needs to open up Fantastic Four and X-Men for them asap.

They also better crush it mechanics-wise and not create a bunch of situational stuff.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

John Romero posted:

I’ve actually been playing champions with my almost five year old. I mostly just play his turns for him but he’s getting very good at recognizing aspects and what certain cards do.

That's super cool! I'm happy for you two.

I've always felt that it's good to play games with kids even if they're not able to read well yet. They pick up stuff surprisingly well and it teaches them lots of important things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

John Romero posted:

wild to not do deadpool but maybe he gets his own thing

how do you get promo dividers

I had preordered from Boardlandia and the dividers were included. I don't know what I did to get them other than that.