Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The move to blister packs isn't necessarily a move to POD. They have said that they like the flexibility that they have now, but can't beat the sheer numbers that China can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Just falling into the lotr rabbit hole now. Should you mainly focus on adventure packs before moving on to deluxe expansions? I got the black riders pack mainly for all the hobbits so far.

You can't really go wrong, just keep in mind that each deluxe is designed for certain adventure packs. If you look around the product page on FFGs website for LotR you'll see what I mean.

The gooncensus leans toward playing everything in release order, when feasable.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I'm buying 3 because I loving hate money.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

:getin:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

My CSI Conquest order is being Processed as we speak. Yesss.

:smug::hf::smug:

ALSO!

Next Warpack!
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5092

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The same reason we don't have a LOTR or AGoT thread. While there is definite interest, there isn't enough activity to keep them out of the archives.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I'm happy with every decision they've announced so far tonight. Rotation? Good, and they are doing it in such a way that the card pool stays healthy, but doesnt stagnate.

I'll be picking up AGoT 2nd Ed, my current collection be damned.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

alg posted:

Just spotted Carteret on the Worlds stream lol

Lol its loving PACKED here.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I have a few people that may be interested. I'll keep you posted! I need other LCG players around here something fierce.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I have no idea if they are still as strict, but you can check my rap sheet to see the forums' (old?) view on OCTGN image packs.

Carteret fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 13, 2015

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The theme is atrocious, but the added functionality is great. It's... it's... sort-able.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Shockeh posted:

This GoT refresh, is it going to invalidate the LCG Cards? I have loving loads of it pretty much unplayed because my local group went all in on Netrunner, and I'd prefer to offload it, but if th cads are going to become invalid guess I'll end up binning the lot!

Yes and no? I mean you could still play 1st Edition if you wanted. Make a cube out of them? I dunno.

2nd Edition is in no way compatible to 1st Edition.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Shockeh posted:

Oh, bugger - just for clarity, we'll have three versions total, will we?

CCG / LCG 1st / LCG 2nd, right?

Because I have loads of what is listed as LCG 2nd Edition.

CCG, which while different technically was the same mechanically to the LCG.

LCG 2nd Edition coming for GenCon (maybe?) will have different mechanics and be entirely unplayable with the LCG cards you can buy now.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The best rule of thumb when it comes to LotR is that the worst interpretation of the rules or card text you can think of for the survivability of your characters is always the intended one.

LotR loving hates you.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

mongol posted:

Gen Con.

I've been waiting since 2012 for GoT to be rebooted. I'm excited.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Taran_Wanderer posted:

I figure they want to take their time and do it right, as they're rebooting their most oldest LCG and angering a good number of people. I know someone who went to GAMA and played a demo of it, so they're fairly far along, at least.

The only people that are angry are those that care more about the sunk cost than the health of the game.
There are so many mechanics in the LCG that are holdovers from the CCG, and the crazy rulings like Moribund are a barrier to entry (let alone the insane investment to be competitive). Rebooting AGoT is the best thing they could possibly do for the longevity of the game.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

signalnoise posted:

Does FFG make a lcg that doesn't require a bunch of chits and bullshit and is playable with just cards?

In GoT, you need to keep track of 2 numbers: How much power you have, and how much gold you have. This is solved with 15 tokens for power (the amount you need to win) and like 8-10 gold. You will most likely never need more than that. All counters used in the game are either straight up power, or gold.

God I can't wait for it to get rebooted.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Sleeved cards shuffle really nice.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

With 8 factions, and the need to throw in cards from a 2nd house just to make a legal deck out of the core, I would assume the AGoT core set will resemble Conquest far more than ANR.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Besides the 2 new houses, deckbuilding rules, and the changes to the plot deck (singletons with 1 duplicate and a reserve value) there hasn't been anything significant besides card layout and art. We'll see more with more previews as far as rules and mechanics changes.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Karnegal posted:

How far in advance of GenCon do you think it'll be before we get a full GoT2 spoiler and pdf rulebook? I signed up for the single box tournament and I'm excited about brewing.

They are doing a house a week (Baratheon is next) and are giving everyone with any kind of following exclusive spoilers like AGoTCards, podcasts, Team Covenant etc. I would imagine after they finish the previews, the rules PDF will follow quickly. There is even an article series going up on CardGameDB just about the rules differences between the two versions here and here.

I think I've finally found a game I can get my coworkers to play :allears:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Karnegal posted:

That's going to make nationals interesting if it pops up at GenCon

Usually when they do stuff like that, they explicitly state it won't be legal for that tournament.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Dupes are awesome. The new take on attachments is awesome. The templating is awesome. The revised rules and mechanics are awesome.

This game may replace A:NR for me (it won't replace A:NR for me)

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Those labels are not necessarily true. FFG has gone on record on several occasions that, for example, they receive an entire cycle of chapter/force/war packs at once now, to cut back on the wicked delays between releases that have happened in the past.

2nd Ed of AGoT is still labeled as at the printer, and we know beyond any doubt that it will be at GenCon in abundance.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Rusty Kettle posted:

I don't quite understand what deck building will look like in GoT2. I never played 1. Those faction cards give you permission to include non loyal cards from that faction, which seems like a given. Does that mean that for some reason you cannot use loyal cards from a faction in its own deck?

Choose a Faction. You can include all cards from that Faction in your deck, observing card limits (3 of, limit 1, etc)
(Optional) Choose an Agenda. The core set has 9 Agendas spoiled so far (Fealty, and the Banners)
-The banners allow you to take any faction other than your chosen Faction (as long as they are non-loyal) and you have to include a minimum of 12.

You can include as many Neutral cards in your deck that you want. Minimum Deck size is (probably) 60.

Fealty, aka the 3x core Agenda

Carteret fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 10, 2015

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Agendas in 1st Ed pretty much shaped the meta and defined deck building. To give you an idea of the crazy places they went with Agendas... behold, The best (worst?) Agendas ever printed:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

This might be the best place for AGoT 2.0 talk until it drowns out everything else. I hope it gets big, cause I loved the idea of 1st Edition, but hated the growing pains it has as the first big LCG.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Azran posted:

Ah, I see. I didn't knew how you'd get 56 different factions combinations considering there were only 7 factions. :downs:

The important part to note is that you only get to choose 1 Agenda. The Agendas that let you ally are handy, should become less and less common as the game ages. There were so many deck defining Agendas in 1st Edition, I find it hard to believe that it wouldn't be the case again.

Also, I'd much rather use

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

If Magali did every card in the game from now on, it would be better for it. poo poo is amazing.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

The venomthrope polluter synapse creature was spoiled http://thetacticalsquad.com/2015/07/26/the-great-devourer-spoiler-venomthrope-polluter/

FFG has pretty good spoiler control it seems, since neither Game of Thrones or tyranids are fully spoiled yet.

Give it 4 days.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Most of the cards in the core set, minus neutrals, are 1 of. The card per expansion value is awesome.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Spoilers if you haven't been keeping up with the word on the street from GenCon

AGoT 2nd Ed LCG is REALLY loving good.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Your got it all wrong. :)

You pick a faction card, which lets you run any card from that faction in your deck, loyal or not, and any neutral cards.

You can pick one agenda: this makes you take 12 cards of one faction that are NOT loyal.

The cards are double sided for a reason, since it doesn't make any sense to run a Nights Watch agenda in a Nights Watch deck.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Merauder posted:

Oooookay, thanks for helping out. I think I was treating the banner Agendas as a replacement for the House card instead of two co-existent cards, and that was making the verbiage on them seem really counter intuitive. So I would have both my House card (Stark, allowing for any number of loyal or non-loyal Stark cards), and the "Banner of the Watch" Agenda next to it to indicate that I can have non-loyal NW cards, to a minimum of 12 NW cards in the deck. Am I getting it now? :v:

Boom. Perfect.

Have fun!

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

It's pretty good. I've played with 3, 4, and 5 and although the games take longer, it was engaging, you had difficult choices to make, and somehow table talk and debating moves and strategies ("you shouldn't attack me, attack him!") was fun. You can easily fall into the trap of ganging up on one player, but that usually ends in disaster and king making. The strategy of Role-selection adds a good bit of depth to an already deep game.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

If you guys weren't aware, https://www.thronesdb.com is a good resource.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Deviant posted:

Isn't this just decklists submit by whoever?

It's just like netrunnerdb. You have to be able to seperate the good from the poo poo. There are some solid ideas, common builds, and if you like deckbuilding online, it's head and shoulders above the cardgamedb builder.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

That finals game would have gone completely different if Valar was in the meta. I'm sure they will add it eventually. Having a board wipe available and expected in every deck really defined the game.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Are any of the tournaments melee based? I'm a lot more interested in melee than duel matches for GoT

For 1.0, they have always held 2 tournaments: Melee and Joust. The person who has the most wins cumulatively at the end wins overall Champion, and they usually have crazy poo poo for that person like a sword or a warhammer to take home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

EVERYTHING is shipping. Taking the Black, Decree of Ruin, Solo's Command... it's a Black Friday miracle!