Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The new Tau leader does the most to change how his faction plays. He's much more of a guerrilla fighter/assassin that wants to win the game by killing the opposing warlord.

Only 3 packs are out currently, Space Marine (Howl of Blackmane) Chaos (The Scourge) and the Tau (Gift of the Ethereals) Warlord packs are out, though they all contain cards for each faction. Orks are next (Zogwort's Curse) followed by Astra Militarum (The Threat Beyond) and this cycle ends with a pack that has both Eldar and Dark Eldar warlords (Descendents of Isha). Tyranids and Necrons are not currently in the game and have yet to have their expansion(s) announced.

I prefer Conquest to Netrunner but that may just be because I like the Warhammer theme more and I haven't given Netrunner much of a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Whoever has the most command icons on any given planet will win that planets resources for that turn. Warlords ALWAYS win against just units, IE no opposing boss

Mostly correct; any exhausted units (including warlords) do not count towards the command struggle.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 25, 2015

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

If there are no units left on either side at the first planet, it goes to nobody and is discarded. Although keep in mind that the first planet is awarded as soon as the first planet battle is over, so other battles should not be effecting the outcome.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The wolf basically makes it so the attached unit can attack before the ranged phase begins.

e:fb

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Zogwort's Curse has arrived for some people. One of them was kind enough to post all the cards that hadn't been spoiled so far:

Space Marines

Blood Claw Pack Unit
3 Cost
1 Command 2 Attack 2 Health
Traits: Soldier Space Wolves.
Reaction: After an enemy warlord commits to this planet exhaust this unit to put a Space Wolves unit into play from your hand at this planet.

Rally the Charge - Event
2 Cost 1 Shield
Traits: Tactic
Action: Until the end of the phase, a target space marines unit you control at a planet with your warlord gets +2 attack for each command icon it has.

Secluded Apothecarion - Support
1 Cost
Reaction: After a space marines unit you control is destroyed exhaust this support to gain 1 resource.

Chaos

Gleeful Plague Beast - Unit
5 Cost
1 Command 3 Attack 5 Health
Traits: Daemon. Nurgle. Elite.
No wargear attachments.
Force Reaction: After the combat phase begins deal 1 damage to each unit at this planet.

Doombolt - Event
1 Cost 1 Shield
Trati: Power
Deploy Action: Deal X damage to target enemy army unit. X is the amount of damage on that unit.

Blight Grenades - Attachment
1 Cost 1 Shield
Traits: Nurgle. Wargear.
Attach to a Nurgle army unit.
Combat Action: Sacrifice this attachment to give attached unit Area Efffect (2) until the end of the combat round.

Eldar
Vectored Vyper Squad - Unit
4 cost
1 Command 3 Attack 3 Health
Traits. Vehicle Alaitoc
No wargear attachments.
This unit gains Mobile while it is undamaged.

Guardian Mesh Armor - Attachment
1 Cost 1 Shield
Traits: Wargear. Armor
Attach to a Eldar army unit.
Interrupt: When you use a shield card to prevent damage to attached unit, exhaust this attachment to double the number of shields on that card.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Slandible posted:

So are Nids going to be in a box like the core game, and are you going to have to buy multiple ones?

More important, when the hell are Crons coming out?

It's gonna be in a box, it should have as many copies of cards as you can legally play. Necrons will most likely be the deluxe expansion at the end of the next cycle. Since Necrons can use cards from other factions, unlike the Tyranids, they don't need as many cards as the Tyranids to make functional decks so it only makes sense that they'll come later.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm confident they'll give every faction a warlord every cycle, they'll just have to make 2 double warlord packs the next cycle and 3 the one after that (or 1 next cycle and 2 the one after if they don't want to give Nids/Necrons a new warlord at the end of their cycles). Once all the factions are released, they can make deluxe expansions give 3 factions a warlord and then stick with 1 warlord per pack.

This has gotten me thinking about what order they're going to give warlords in the next cycle. Will they go with the same order as last time? That'd be pretty disappointing for Eldar/DE fans to have to wait their entire cycle, again, for their shiny new warlord. On the other hand, it'd suck for SM fans who have gone the longest without a new warlord to suddenly have to wait further down the cycle for one.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 6, 2015

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

DatonKallandor posted:

They announced the nids and showed barely a handful of cards. We don't even know their exact allying rules and they're still half a cycle away. There's really nothing to talk about with nids other than "they be coming" and "they get a double command dial and 2 Warlords that's sick".

You can't even speculate about "that one revealed card would go awesome with current card X" because they're Tyranids. If it was Necrons we would at least be trying to fit all the current cards into our hypothetical necron decks.

Their allying rules are that they don't ally with anybody.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

DatonKallandor posted:

We don't know how Neutrals work with them.

I really, really doubt they're going to go through all these thematic justifications for why they aren't on the alignment wheel only to turn around and say "yeah the tyranids can just hire a bunch of pirates and rogue traders no problem".

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Full spoilers for the next Conquest pack, translations are not perfect: http://www.40kconquestmadrid.blogspot.com.es/2015/03/spoiler-completo-la-amenaza-exterior.html#more

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Herr Tog posted:

Okay I don't think I have ever played one of these. Please recommend one to try to me. I don't know poo poo about Game of Thrones

LOTR is the only co-op one, so if you'd like to play alongside your friends rather than against them that's the one to go for. Netrunner is generally considered the best vs LCG, but there's a pretty steep investment before you're competitive (not really an issue if you're only going to play with friends). Haven't played much of that one though, didn't really interest me. Warhammer Conquest is pretty great and is a young game that hasn't even gone through its first cycle. It's personally my favorite. Game of Thrones is getting rebooted so wait for 2nd edition if you want to get in that one I guess.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Slandible posted:

Picked up Conquests Threat Beyond today and a bit disappointed with it. Dark Elder got some great stuff in it and Eldar events/supports are good like always , but everyone else's feels a bit week. That, and they basically just copied Borkan Recruits for several other factions.

I had like the exact opposite opinion of every card in this pack. Orks got a pair of amazing cards, AM's new warlord is the best, Both Eldar's stuff isn't any good. Agreed on the Bork'an Recruits thing though, they've been really lazy with those cards.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

A conscious decision to be lazy.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I have fallen in love with Warhammer 40k Conquest, but I've come to the realization that it's a lot less popular than most of the other LCGs. What's the likelihood that FFG would just stop updating it?

They wouldn't just stop; they'd let everyone know way ahead of time that they were going to stop production after any already announced expansions, like they did with Game of Thrones.

Also in terms of popularity I'd say that while Netrunner is clearly more popular, Conquest is about on the same level as LotR LCG and that's been going strong for a long while now.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

PJOmega posted:

Thanks for the quick responses. We played the second scenario with three starter decks (all but lore).

First flip had 2 Hill Giants. Last two cards flipped in the ambush were 2 Hill Giants.

Quickly realized that Forest Snare was a good card. We survived though.

If we complete a quest during the combat step (from Legolas (Core)'s ability) and the next step would flip more cards than there are left in the encounter deck, do we shuffle the discard back?

And finally, Thalin vs. Eastern Crows. We ended up with Thalin committed to the quest and a deck that consisted of nothing but Eastern Crows. After three reveals in a row we checked it to confirm and then shuffled the discard in but would love to know what we should have done.

If you need to draw more cards from the encounter deck, draw all the cards you can draw then shuffle the discard pile (without any cards that went to the victory display) to make your new encounter deck, then continue drawing from that.

Thalin actually kills Eastern Crows before surge takes effect so you don't need to draw additional encounter cards because of it.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Deadly Salvage preview for Conquest, for those who are lazy.

Gorzod looks fun as poo poo, though. Does he still get his cost reduction bonus if he has a Kustomization Station out?

I believe so; a unit isn't under your control until it's in play, so it wouldn't have the icon change until after deployment.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Did someone says nids?

Wow that is, uh, not a whole lot of command icons on those units.

I'm sorry you must not have seen the unit that gives every termagant a command icon.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

LotR is pretty good and not quite dead yet.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Failboattootoot posted:

Lord of the rings really suffered, in my opinion, from being a pile of bullshit. The monster decks in that are so god drat gnarly once you get outside of the core ones. I had multiple experiences in lotr that lined up with how people described their experience with Ronan the Accuser in Marvel. Which is to say, game lost on turn 2. Marvel on the other hang generally feels pretty even handed outside of the guardians box.

As someone who really likes LotR: yeah, it really is a bunch of bullshit and I wish they had put more thought into easy mode than "just take out some of the bad encounter cards idk". I really like experimenting with decks but I feel like I can't do that when playing with friends because of just how brutal most quests are.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I got the Angmar campaign box and I do not understand why they make the box so god drat big. It's as large as Spirit Island and has a big plastic tray, and all the cards that come in it only fill up about 1/5 of it. If you put in all the player cards from the Angmar cycles you might fill around half of it. At least this one works as storage though, the player card box didn't (and was also about 6x as large as it needed to be).

e: also I'm annoyed it didn't come with any nice dividers like the "Return to" boxes in Arkham lcg had.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 2, 2022

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Haven't gotten a chance to play it yet, and probably won't for some time as I prefer to go through it normally first. There's no story branching choices like in Arkham and without an xp system there's not a reason to do much deckbuilding through the campaign. Most scenarios give you a chance to get boon cards by basically completing a side quest, either permanents that start in play attached to a specific hero or just powerful cards to add to your deck. There is a lot more story to it than earlier cycles, including an epilogue so the story actually finishes.

I've never played campaign mode before so I thought I'd look up the rules for it in the campaign guide, but that just says to refer to the learn to play rulebook. It does not mention that these rules are only in the revised core set rulebook, and the original rulebook is still what comes up in a google search for lotr learn to play, so that was also annoying.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

They haven't launched any new LCGs, just more stuff for Arkham and Marvel.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I've only got the core set and a couple packs but Marvel is the coop lcg I like the least, though that's probably because LotR is getting off easy by being the first one I played. It's just kind of bland and the theme doesn't do much for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I would say it's unethical, and also looks really bad if you do more than glance at it.