Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Real talk about the LotR LCG:

I've been interested in the game for a long time, and so I've finally pulled the trigger on the Core Set. Played a solo game or two to get the hang of the rules. I think I got it, cool. The game so far is everything I've expected and more. Tense and engaging, and high thematic.

My girlfriend is willing to at least give a new game I buy a try so I invite her to play. She plays the starter tactics deck and I play the starter lore deck and we play the introductory Mirkwood quest. Through what I expect is bad shuffling, most of the encounter cards we draw were location cards. And with the Ungoliant's Spawn coming out early we couldn't quest enough to tread any water and we lose by threat. We didn't even get through the first part of the quest. The loss was so devastating I think it turned her off of the game entirely. Anyone have any deckbuilding tips with just the core set that are effective enough so that I can try a second chance with her?

I'm not about to quit it anytime soon, so I'm starting to plan my buying path for the expansions and APs. What's a good thing to buy first? To expand on this, is a second core set necessary? I'm a collector at heart and I'll feel empty if I don't have every option available for deckbuilding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Both you guys are right. We tried again with the other two spheres and it was easy as pie. It really emphasizes how different the spheres are really. At least she's open to playing again in the future. Now I'm excited to pick up some more cards for some deckbuilding.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It annoys me that FFG keeps revealing upcoming packs for Champions while I wait for Captain America to come back into stock anywhere. Please. I just want to pinball a shield around.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I've been watching for Cap to come into stock anywhere, and it looks like I'm just SOL for the foreseeable future. I've had to preorder the successive packs just to have a chance at them.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There is some strategy in holding cards for future turns but it is usually wildly inefficient to do so. Might not be that much of a hindrance.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

What's next on the release schedule for Champions? The most of the last few reveals have been heroes. I'ma need someone tough to fight with all these new decks.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Wrecking Crew definitely felt like an experiment. It was much easier than the idea would suggest, fighting 4 villains simultaneously. Each villain had some unique abilities but they simply didn't come up enough thanks to card draw and leading villain mechanic. I'm certain that the idea will be improved upon in some future scenario.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Lots of discussion about the new heroes in Rise of the Red Skull, but how do the villains fair? I've been itching for some new conflict to throw decks at.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm looking at the Ant-Man and Wasp previews, and it got me wondering. They have two hero forms, with their hero card unfolding to show their giant form. How am I to sleeve a card that's meant to folded?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ripley posted:

There's a sleeve on Etsy iirc - phone posting but I think this is it: https://www.etsy.com/listing/669261778/custom-transformers-tcg-sliding-combiner

This is a clever solution to the issue. I'll pick a few up.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I've had huge success with a heavily modified Thor deck courtesy of Team Covenant: https://marvelcdb.com/decklist/view/2250/thor-we-were-swingin-1.0

There's a more verbose description of the deck in the link but the short of it is using cheap cards and ready actions to swing and throw the hammer forever, and using Down Time to restore a ton of HP at once.

Edit: Threat management is very low; pair with a justice or leadership hero to cover that.

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 22, 2020

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The later protection cards really brought that aspect up from Core. Multiple cards that ready and give card draw after defending is just what they needed. My go to protection hero is Captain America, who can stack a consistent 2 retaliate and sometimes 3 with Energy Shield. He'll do more damage defending than straight up attacking.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I picked up the Galaxy box if anything to be a completionist, but after hearing about the extreme Ronan scenario I had to see it for myself. It is quite intimidating. They include two prebuilt decks in the box, surely they intended for it to be reasonable to beat the whole campaign with them? Seems unlikely from what I can see.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Earthbourne Rangers looks rad. I’m a fan of the art and theme. Definitely putting it on my radar.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There's no way a competitive ccg has any market nowadays right? I feel like it's on life support even before it releases.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The AI art genie is never going back into the bottle. The tech is only going to get better with time, and the effect on the industry will be massive. It will become commonplace to utilize Midjourney et al for art when it infeasible to have a human do it. I expect smaller teams to do things like this across the industry within a few years. Bigger corps who could totally hire a bunch of artists will do it too, unless something drastic happens like the Supreme Court ruling definitively that AI generated assets cannot be protected under copywrite or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

By all means. I hate AI art as much anyone. I just see the future with commonplace creative AI generation in it and I would LOVE to be wrong about it.