Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

polynominal-c posted:

Do other LCG have cards like Netrunner's Hedge Fund, Sure Gamble and Jackson Howard (i.e. cards that are basically included in 99% of all decks)

Sort of. There tends to be cards you'll practically always use if you're playing a particular sphere/faction/race/whatever, but not so many that tend to show up in every deck. For instance, if you're playing with Tactics cards in LOTR, you'll practically always use Feint, or every deck in AGOT will have three of its House's +Gold cards (e.g. The Goldroad). I imagine the neutral cards for Conquest will find their way into many decks, if only for the cheap units with command icons or the extra shields, but I doubt they'll be as common as those in Netrunner. Here's the neutral Conquest cards in the core set, for comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

No Mercy is probably great if you're one of the swarmier factions (Orks, IG, Dark Eldar?). Fall Back likewise is probably great if you're one of the more elite heavy factions (Chaos). I'm curious as to whether Void Pirate/other neutral bonus unit are playable. They're certainly not great cards, and I question whether they would be useful enough to actually pay themselves off.

Edit: Also my order shipped!

I think the biggest usefulness of the Void Pirate and Rogue Trader is simply that they're one cost units with a command icon, which is pretty useful. Less so in some factions, though.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Managed to pick up a copy of Conquest last night at my FLGS and played a couple games. Pretty awesome! A number of people here are big Warhamer 40k fans, so we're going to be having a tournament on Sunday. Since the game just came out, we'll be restricting decks to a single core, with another core as the prize. Should be pretty fun!

My first games were with Colonel Stracken with Space Marines, but for the tournament I think I'll go with Cato Sicarius with the Guard instead. Hopefully the extra resources from his ability will give it some much needed consistency, though I'll miss my Leman Russ.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Switching to Sicarius was the right call, as the deck went almost undefeated on Sunday, only losing in the final round against my Starbane/Tau opponent. I got the Tallassarian Tempest Blade on Sicarius right away, but misplays on my part left me behind in the Command Struggle, and what little I did draw wasn't what I needed to take it back. Lots of fun! Here's the deck I used if anyone is curious. Really looking forward to getting a second core on Tuesday and messing around with Colonel Straken more. I threw a deck together, but I'm a little worried about the cost curve. How have the expensive units been working out for people? What Warlords/Factions have you guys been using?

In LOTR related news, The Road Darkens is now available, and spoilers are up on cardgamedb. Ally versions of Bilbo, Boromir, Elrond, and Galadriel look pretty cool, not to mention the Gandalf hero and all his cards. Anyone get a chance to use Gandalf or play through the new quests yet?

The new Call of Cthulhu expansion, The Sleeper Below, is also out and up on cardgamedb, if anyone cares.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm not sure I parsed this question correctly, but the signature squad is set. No plus or minus on any of those cards. Anything else goes up to 3.

Yeah, this is right. You have to use the eight cards that comes with your Warlord's signature squad. The other forty-two cards can be up to three copies each of cards from the Warlord's faction and non-loyal cards from one of the two factions that are next to it on the alignment wheel. Keep in mind, too, that the core set only comes with a single copy of most cards, so you'd have to own three core sets to use three copies of those cards. This Eldar deck I built uses only those cards I'd have owning two core sets.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Fetterkey posted:

I've played a bit with almost everything (haven't done much Tau or Chaos). Expensive units seem a little weak outside of Chaos (which has strong cost reducers in the form of Splintered Path Acolyte and Promise of Glory)-- the only non-Chaos Elite units that I like are Land Raider and Crisis Battle Guard, though cards like Ultramarines Dreadnought and Goff Nob have a certain brute force appeal.
Yeah, that seems to be the consensus about expensive units. I think most decks should have a few for those times when you really need a big guy, but I'll have to see how it plays. I'm especially looking forward to using the Leman Russ. Those four command icons are tasty. Sicarius should be able to afford them, if nothing else.

DontMockMySmock posted:

Seems like they took the opportunity to add a lot of sweet quest content, especially a host of new boons and burdens for the campaign (covering the Council of Elrond through to the end of Fellowship). You're right about the strong cards, though. My friend opened the box earlier today; it looks pretty sweet. Gandalf hero + gandalf's staff + gandalf's pipe looks like an auto-include for any deck where you don't know what to do for your third hero; the pipe negates his "drawback" of being unable to cast poo poo from hand and the staff is just baller as gently caress. There's some other cool stuff too; all in all I can't wait to play it.
I don't know that Gandalf is quite an auto-include, given his 14 threat, but he's certainly a strong option to consider. I'm a little surprised we didn't get Narya, too, but I guess they have to keep some big cards for the future. I'm curious to see how these cards will work in a deck without a Gandalf hero, Flame of Anor especially. Being able to Sneak Attack Core Gandalf out during combat, attack/defend with him, then attack with him again seems like it would be pretty awesome! I might even throw a Gandalf's Staff in a deck with OHaUH Gandalf for the added utility.

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Great to hear. The Black Riders was probably my favorite expansion they've released so far, and I'm definitely looking forward to continuing the campaign mode. Speaking of which, isn't there supposed to be one or two new Print on Demand quests that also add to the campaign mode? I seem to remember something about Bombadil and the Barrow Wights being GenCon and some special October scenario.
I had forgotten about those! Both of these quests are standalone, but can also be used to expand the campaign mode, coming with Boons and Campaign Mode Setup cards. If they follow the pattern set by previous GenCon event quests, The Old Forest should be available in October. The October event is part of FFG's Organized Play events, like the Game Night Kits. Unfortunately, it looks like the registration period ended back in July, so if you'd like to try it you'll have to find someone that's already hosting an event. There's a few listed on BGG. It will also be available for purchase, eventually.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Dre2Dee2 posted:

By the by, does anyone know a place in NJ where people can play Conquest? I'm looking at all the stores I know, but they seem to all run Magic and none of the LCGs. :(

I go to Trotta's Hobbies. We've got a pretty healthy LCG group that comes in on Sundays.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Spiders and Trolls and Nazgul! Oh My! is up! We'll just use the four starter decks and the first scenario to start with.

Nice! These summary sheets might help you out, too.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

crime fighting hog posted:

Hey guys, still going through the thread but a friend of mine is HUGE into 40k Conquest right now, and I've played half a dozen games and lose like a chump each time. I just can't seem to wrap my head around the strategy and was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a dummies guide to not losing all the time.

I'm usually not too bad at card games, I was fairly decent at Magic when I played so that makes this really frustrating to be a few games in and still very confused as to what I should do each turn.

Check out Team Sandcrawla; they have some nice articles on strategy and videos of games that can help you out.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

I was referring to the Battle Phase, but I didn't think about that in the Deploy. I've been playing it as Event = your turn, but I guess it matters far less in the Deploy phase so we never actually bothered to look it up.

Yeah, this is right. When it's your turn to Deploy, you can take an Action or Deploy a card, then it's your opponent's go. This is why all the deploy cost reducers are Interrupts rather then Actions.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Speaking of putting all your eggs in one basket, has anyone played with the big units? I feel as if the game as it is does not really reward giant fuckoff units (Dreadnaughts, Crisis Armor, like most of the Chaos Elite units, Boss Nob, etc.) since they can be shut down pretty easy and severely limits your ability to cap planets. Even with Fall Back to "save" them, are they playable?

I think it's helpful to have a few in your deck. Several times I've been in a position of having more resources then needed, and it's nice to have a way to spend them. It's also nice to have something to put into play with the one planet. I like using the Leman Russ tank for its Command Icons as well.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
The Gen Con scenario, The Old Forest, has been released for LOTR. Tom Bombadil!

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
I was thinking something along the lines of "Look at the top 6 cards of your opponent's deck and put a unit of cost 3 or less into play under your control" for Genestealers. Whatever we get, should be fun!

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

always be closing posted:

Does anyone have experience with the two player HBO version of the game?

It's basically just the regular game using images from the HBO series and only for two players. While the decks will be the same each time, there's a big deck of plots that can be drafted before each game to provide some variety. If you can get it for cheap and/or are really big into the TV show, I'd look at picking it up to get a feel for how the game plays. The general flow shouldn't change too much between editions, from what I've read.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Mr. Met posted:

I was hoping someone could help me out with some basic questions I still have after reading the OP. My fiancée and I have very recently started to get into designer board games, and are interested in getting some more. (We just bought Twilight Struggle.) The LCG format sounds interesting to me, and the themes are appealing (especially Netrunner and LotR, and maybe Star Wars to a lesser extent).

Our play sessions are just the two of us on a weekday night or sometimes a Saturday afternoon. Neither of us have any interest in ever doing a tournament of any kind. That said, is there still a need to buy multiple versions of the core set/expansions? That would be a huge turnoff - I'd love it if we could sort of treat this as a board game with expansions, like, say, Rivals for Catan. Assuming so, any general thoughts on whether to pick up Android/LotR/Star Wars outside of which has the most appealing theme?

LCGs work pretty well if you just treat them as board games, though you might want a second core anyway to expand your options. As for which one, I'd recommend Lord of the Rings over the others a bit, as it's a co-op, but if a particular theme really appeals to you, I'd go with that.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
We had our Store Championships on Sunday, and I managed to win with my Eldar deck!

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Warhammer 40,000: Conquest Deckbuilder

Total Cards: (50)

Warlord:
1x Eldorath Starbane (Core Set)

Army Unit: (28)
4x Starbane’s Council (Core Set)
3x Altansar Rangers (Core Set)
3x Biel-Tan Guardians (Core Set)
2x Earth Caste Technician (Core Set)
3x Eldar Survivalist (Core Set)
3x Iyanden Wraithguard (Core Set)
2x Spiritseer Erathal (Core Set)
3x Swordwind Farseer (Core Set)
3x Vior’la Marksman (Core Set)
2x Wailing Wraithfighter (Core Set)

Attachment: (4)
1x Mobility (Core Set)
3x Ion Rifle (Core Set)

Event: (12)
2x Foresight (Core Set)
2x Calamity (The Howl of Blackmane)
1x Doom (Core Set)
2x Empower (The Howl of Blackmane)
2x Gift of Isha (Core Set)
3x Nullify (Core Set)

Support: (6)
1x Alaitoc Shrine (Core Set)
1x Corsair Trading Port (Core Set)
1x Craftworld Gate (Core Set)
1x Dome of Crystal Seers (The Scourge)
2x Promethium Mine (Core Set)

Top 4 ended up being three Starbanes and a Blackmane. I was up against Blackmane first, but he whiffed terribly on his first Drop Pod Assault, and I was able to keep control of the board to end the match. Finals was against a Starbane I had actually lost to in the Swiss match-ups, when he was able to snowball very effectively. He had something like a dozen units in HQ, and I drew the Doom the turn that he committed them all to the last planet he needed to win. During this match, we started out on much more even footing, though an early Trading Port and Promethium Mine kept me ahead a little bit. Key to this match was the Wraithfighter, as its ability, combined with a lack of card draw planets, allowed me to keep him very low on cards, especially shields. We eventually ended up in a big brawl at the last planet I needed to win, and the Wraithfighter got to discard the last card he had in his hand before he could use its two shields to keep someone alive. Empower, combined with the few shields left in my hand, allowed me to turn the mostly even battle to my favor and win the game. Very good, close game, and I'm looking forward to playing Conquest more often.

Now that I've won with Starbane and I have my alt-art Leman Russ Battle Tanks, I think I'll go back to playing Stracken. It'll be nice to use Catachan Outposts and all the tricks Astra uses again. I've missed Preemptive Barrage, especially.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
A new preview for the Treason of Saruman is up. The Ally versions of Gimli and Legolas look very nice, though a bit expensive. Helm's Deep looks like a neat variation on the formula, too. I especially like that the locations give a benefit on travel, and a detriment on exploring. Mostly, it just makes me wish I had people to play LOTR with.

Some Gift of the Ethereals spoilers for Conquest can also be found.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Someone asked about my deck on cardgamedb, and I ended up writing a whole lot more then I expected to, so I thought I'd share.

quote:

The basic idea of the deck is the old "quality over quantity." I'm not going to win all of the command struggles, so I'm going to focus on what I need or what they need and deny it. Calamity helps thin the board out if they get ahead in body count, while leaving most of my guys alone. When I do need to stand and fight, Empower makes a world of difference. Just making the Wraithguards have three HP makes them far more likely to suvive a round and hit back hard. Making Starbane have two ATK was pretty excellent, too. If I have some cheap units out, especially the Biel-Tan Guardians, Craftworld Gate is great for moving them around the board and denying key command struggles, not to mention delaying deployment. As much as people disparage Promethium Mine, I'm a big fan of it for its consistency. Rogue Traders and other cheap units can be sniped off, losing those command struggles, but once I put a Mine down I know I'm getting my resources out of it, which is key with a cost curve like this deck has.

Still, the MVP of the deck, other then Empower, was the Wraithfighter. Having five HP *and* flying makes it really tough to kill, and if I'm playing it right, I can get it to attack two or three times, massively reducing any advantage my opponent may have gained from winning command struggles, not to mention killing the stuff that's already on the board. I especially liked, during the Final match, having my opponent retreat to let a Wraithfighter die when Empower wore off, just to play another one as I had just won the battle for the "Put a unit into play for free" planet. Even better when he only got a Biel-Tan Guardian out of it. The most memorable moment of the Final match, howeverwas using my Wraithfighter to discard my opponent's last card during the final battle. It turned out to be Gift of Isha, which I'm certain would have turned the tide back in his favor, whether for its two shields or the event itself.

I'm not so great at remembering the details of the rest of the matches, but overall it went pretty well, only losing during Swiss to the Starbane I would end up playing for the Final match. I remember the match I lost though, as I played poorly in the beginning and he built up a massive unit and hand advantage. He must have had over a dozen units in his HQ at one point, and I was incredibly annoyed that I drew my Doom right after he commited them all to the second planet, which is what he needed to win. The Farseers and Dome of Crystal Seers were in there to help ensure I get what I need or, at the least, know what I won't be drawing into because it's at the bottom of my deck, but after that, I think I would swap out the Dome for another Doom. I had forgotten how important it could be to salvaging a game.

Now that I have my alt-art Leman Russ Battle Tanks, though, I think I'll go back to Colonel Stracken. I think there's room in this game for decks with a higher cost curve then what seems to be popular, sacrificing the more numerous units needed to win many command struggles in exchange for making sure the important ones are won, as well as being better in combat. From my experience, though, this is a lot harder to play, as it can be incredibly difficult to judge which planets to commit to winning command struggles at, and how far to take battles to kill units. Really satisfying when you do it properly, though.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Preview is up for The Wastes of Eriador the first pack of the new cycle for LOTR. Shows a couple new Side Quests, which look they'll have really nice effects. Quest itself seems like it will have some sort of Day/Night mechanic, which could make a very location heavy scenario more interesting.

Big thing, however, is the introduction of a new trigger, Valour. The opposite of Secrecy, this will go off when Threat is over 40, but unlike Secrecy, instead of a straight cost reduction, Valour will be part of Actions and Reactions, so those can only be triggered when the threat is over 40. Hopefully they'll keep it like in the example card, Honour Guard, where they still have a useful ability without Valour, but if your threat does get that high, you'll get a big boost to help close out the game. Looking forward to it!

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

vulturesrow posted:

Is it worth setting up a Google spreadsheet for OCTGN usernames? I'd love to play games there, at least when I'm not playing hearthstone.

Well, there's one for Netrunner already. Depending on crossover, it might be best to just keep using that list and add what else people play on it. Might be better to make an irc chat room for everyone to hang out and organize online games, though.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Since there seems to be some support for the idea, I've created #lcgoons on synIRC. I'll be in there most of the day, though I won't be able to play any games. I'll also add this info to the OP.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Yawgmoft posted:

Does anyone still play the Star Wars LCG? I was really impressed with it when it came out but I haven't gotten many expansions for it and now there are like twelve things to buy. Is it still a solid and fun game? Do the expansions do a good job of adding things and being fun? I don't see many people talking about it.

Star Wars is pretty cool! There's a thread for it over here.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
We might not see seven Warlords next cycle, but I'm certain there will be at least one per pack.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
I was thinking, as a neat Genestealers ability: "Interrupt: When this unit leaves play, search the top six cards of your opponent's deck for a unit of cost 3 or lower. Put that unit into play at the same planet and put the remaining cards on the bottom of your opponent's deck in any order."

Taran_Wanderer fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 10, 2015

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Oh man, this looks like fun stuff. If I get a hold of this before this weekend, I may run my Space Marines deck instead of Astra Militarum. Might be fun to finally mess around with Coteaz, too.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Baron Porkface posted:

On the battle of 5 armies, what does it mean that "any card effects that affect the current quest can only affect the quest phase chosen." does that mean that the failure effects at the end of the round for the 3 battles only activate for the objective chosen, or all of them thereby guaranteeing that 2 objectives will fail each round.)

Looking at Stages 2, 3, and 4 of The Battle of Five Armies, none of them mention "current quest", so the card text is always active. However, progress tokens are not removed except by card effects, so it's not guaranteed that 2 of the quest stages' Forced reactions will trigger each round. Looking at the rest of the cards in the quest, it seems likely that progress will be removed from phases that aren't being focused on, but that's because of those card effects, not from any game rule.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
I can certainly see having one or two in a deck in case I get a chance to pull off something huge with it. New Elite Daemon looks pretty cool, too. Guess we'll be getting a Slaanesh Warlord next cycle?

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

ChiTownEddie posted:

Wow "Safe locations" in the 3rd Angmar Awakens AP sound really interesting.
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/4/6/across-the-ettenmoors/

Wow, those do sound neat. We've had variations of locations with beneficial effects throughout the game, so I guess this a natural extension of that. Almost makes you want to use A Watchful Peace, though they'll probably have victory points.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Baron Porkface posted:

Wait does "no progress' mean no porgress counters? As opposed to no progress made this turn? This loving game...

Yeah, this is what I was getting at.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

ChiTownEddie posted:

Do people that play LOTR on OCTGN hang out in the OP's IRC channel? (Lots of abbreviations)
I have a random schedule, but so do my friends that play LOTR and I'd like to try and play more if possible.

Not so much. I'm usually hanging around to keep it open, but I haven't seen many people come in. I play LOTR though, so I'd be willing to play with you sometimes. I'm terrible, but it would be nice to play it more :)

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

ChiTownEddie posted:

Gotcha. I'll install IRC and start idling tonight. Maybe we can get the channel going :)

You can also access the synirc server online through a browser. I use that to idle at work.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

OMG indeed. I like his ability representing the Rage of the Ents. Might have preferred some kind of downside like Beorn, but this is cool. The new Theoden is also awesome. He'll slot really nicely into more decks then the previous version. Might have been neat to have him have lower stats, representing old Theodan or something. Again, still very cool!

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
I figure they want to take their time and do it right, as they're rebooting their most oldest LCG and angering a good number of people. I know someone who went to GAMA and played a demo of it, so they're fairly far along, at least.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
I've also found, at least with the Star Wars and Netrunner, that the right-click menu contains lots of commands that you might not need all of the time. So if you're not sure how to do something, it's usually in there somewhere.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Finally got around to teaching some people how to play LOTR. We played through the core scenarios with a Sam/Merry/Pippin Hobbit deck and a Eowyn/Dunhere/Hama Rohan deck. Dunhere proved to be the star, destroying nearly all the enemies in the staging area before they could do anything (hooray for Spear of the Mark!) in the first two scenarios. Against Escape from Dol Guldor, the decks did not fair so well, and we gave up after two attempts. I'll have to go back to the drawing board and figure out something different, as I think the Hobbits were too fragile for the scenario. Later, I threw together a quick Dwarf deck with Dain/Thorin/Ori and played Journey Through the Anduin and taught two new people. A little rough going, but we managed to prevail in the end. Will have to tweak things a bit. Maybe I'll proxy a few more cards. I've got a ton of scenarios, so we'll try something different next time. I'd really like to finally get through Over Hill and Under Hill and The Black Riders.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Additionally, while CoC seems to be the least popular of their LCGs, they're still updating it, though they switched to doing deluxe expansions all the time instead of smaller packs. Unless GW wants them to, I'm sure FFG won't be ending Conquest anytime soon.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

PJOmega posted:

I thought a player could only attack one enemy per round?

Each enemy may only be attacked once per round.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

sirtommygunn posted:

Thalin actually kills Eastern Crows before surge takes effect so you don't need to draw additional encounter cards because of it.

Good ol' Thalin. Now that I'm playing this game again, I should give him a try in the Battle quests.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Got to play some more LOTR. I had built a Leadership/Tactics deck using Beregond, Leadership Boromir, and Thalin for use against the Heirs of Numenor quests, but we decided to try our luck against Conflict at the Carrock. Things went well at first, but with the unique Trolls came a Hill Troll, and we didn't see any of our location management, so we had to deal with the Trolls before we were ready, and things went bad quickly. I wasn't displeased with the deck's performance, so hopefully we can give it a go against Peril in Pelargir this week.

Since I've got people interested, I think it's finally time to start picking up some more cards for the game. I was going to pick up Khazad-Dum and the Dwarrowdelf cycle, but after seeing The Lost Realm's stuff, I think I'll just get that instead and get the new packs as they come out. I think it's also time for The Road Darkens, because Gandalf!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Is it me or does it feel like FFG is doing kind of a terrible job at the hype train for Conquest? No info on the next cycle, no more previews for Tyranids, and Isha even feels a bit late this month or something? Has Netrunner spoiled me?

The last preview for the Tyranids was in March, so a bit, maybe? After the problems they had with the Star Wars LCG, I think they're being a bit more cautious about how soon they release previews for everything.