Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

So with Valar coming up, not to mention the already numerous ways of killing dudes that the last cycle introduced, how do you decide which characters are > 1-of in a deck?

Between Close Call and all the sources of saves, I don't think it's going to change too much, honestly. It's mostly a question of what a character is doing for you and how easily you can replicate their abilities with other characters. Characters that you really want to see because they make your deck work or how powerful they are you would still run three copies of, like Melisandre or Balon Greyjoy (Core). Others you don't care about as much. For instance, characters like Ser Waymar Royce and Ser Colen of Greenpools are mostly useful as cheap characters with some mildly helpful abilities, so I would run one copy of each and not care too much if they died. A Lannister player could even justify running one copy of someone like Tyrion Lannister (Core). He's got a nice combination of useful things, but he's not really doing anything that the rest of a Lannister deck can't. Characters with renown are a bit trickier, since you don't want to lose them after they've got some power for you. Still, many of them work very similarly, so many times it doesn't matter which ones you see, just that you see some.

I guess what you're really trying to do is minimize the chances of "dead draws," so if the deck has other ways to deal with it, more copies of characters can safely be run. Tyrell decks, for instance. They probably have enough draw at this point, so they could run two or three copies of The Knight of Flowers, since he's helpful early on, but if he dies the deck can just draw through the extra copies. More cards like Crown of Golden Roses would also lessen the impact of drawing into dead characters. Even things like Waking the Dragon and Marched to the Wall can be useful for keeping characters out of the dead pile, in addition to their other benefits.

PaybackJack posted:

I used to go by "Who would i need to have dupe'd after a Wildfire?" mixed with "Who do I always want to see?", and probably run a few bodyguards in a couple decks just to be safe.

I don't really see Valar changing my modus operandi. Honestly, I'm not sure it's better than Wildfire because the low gold value is really going to be crippling, but on the bright side you could use it to press an advantage, like I could certainly see my Greyjoy deck using it, perhaps more effectively than it is currently using First Snow.

Yeah, basically this. While Valar Morghulis can be used aggressively, it's going to be more useful to people as a way to catch-up if things get too out of control early on, which has been a problem for the game so far, I think.

The other big rule of thumb I remember from the first edition is: "Always assume your opponent has Valar Morghulis."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Hmm. This only has 2 scenarios, and the core set doesn't say how many it includes (it just says 110 encounter cards). I'm hoping this game isn't light on content, especially since they're pushing the campaign aspect so hard as the default way to play. I hope it has a lot more content in the core set than something like Warhammer Quest ACG.

Core set has three scenarios. They put up a copy of the campaign log.