Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Just put in an order for Khazad-Dum and the Dwarrodelf cycle, excited to find a thread with a lot of LotR LCG talk. I have been buying the expansions slowly for about a year and a half now and I get a bug every month or two and play a bunch.

For the Core Set I went on eBay and got a parted out "get up to 3 of each" auction so it cost about the same as getting a 2nd core set but I didn't have to get a big pile of Sauron cards I wasn't going to need. I also get FFS05 sleeves for all the cards, but in general getting them from CoolStuffInc is a good deal because they sell the major expansions for $20 and the adventure packs for $10.

Does anybody have a good solution for storing sleeved cards? I have them in regular card boxes but you have to put them at an angle and so you can't store as many in a box and it looks weird and bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Epi Lepi posted:

We now know enough about the quest to plan for this stuff, but it got me wondering. How many of you read the quest/encounter cards of a new quest before you do the quest? We usually just go in blind, and I think I like it better this way, even though it can lead to situations like last night where we lose horribly.
On the one hand, you can literally only do this once with any scenario so it seems like good value for your money to do it. On the other hand, for me, I don't think any part of the game has felt worse to me than taking the game out after having it stored for a while, building a deck from scratch, trying a new scenario, and getting crushed.

I mean I know you're only wasting what, a half hour or an hour maybe, but still. Also, maybe that was just my fault for trying to make a functioning fighting eagles deck using mono Tactics based only on Core + Mirkwood cards.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
You will probably have to make a special deck to beat the A Journey to Rhosgobel quest, although that one is almost more dependent on luck. It's such a huge pain.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Currently I have the whole Mirkwood cycle and the whole Khazad/Dwarrowdelf cycle but I'm slowly going through quests. The deck I've had recent success with is Eowyn, Glorfindel (Foundations 5 threat version), and Denethor, and today I gave Return to Mirkwood my first try.

Try 1 the game surged Wolf Rider into King Spider on turn 1 and since I had used Denethor to scry already he couldn't defend and Gollum was immediately killed. I love how brutal the game can be, and I kept a marginal hand without any foreknowledge of the quest cards and was summarily punished.

Try 2 I managed to win on turn 8, Denethor scryed a Hill Troll to the bottom at one point and I hit a run of locations during the part where you can't play cards, so I was able to quest for 8 each turn with Eowyn and a Light of Valinor'ed Glorfindel.

Next up I'm finally going to go back and try to Escape from Dol Guldur, since I was able to complete the other two as well as the whole Mirkwood cycle. Maybe this Questing and Scrying list can get me through that as well without having to overhaul it too much.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
For people looking to fill out their core 1s and 2s for LotR be sure to search eBay. A few years back I was able to get a custom compiled set from an auction instead of buying 2 more Core sets and ending up with a million extra enemy cards. Although I don't see a set exactly like that right now when I'm searching, there are some similar ones like $8 for a 3rd copy of all the 2-ofs.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Just did The Seventh Level in the Khazad Dum expansion. Was running Frodo, Good Glorfindel, and Watcher Aragorn. Thought my nut opening hand of Fast Hitch, Asfaloth, and Light would be enough to cruise even with no allies in it, but then I drew basically nothing for the first 5 turns of the game (got 2 more Lights and another Asfaloth), but the first real card I drew was Arwen so that was nice. Fought through an Orc Horn Blower turning over 2 Goblins so that I'd be engaged by 3 enemies on one turn, and then when I was about finish stage 1 a Cave-Troll appeared.

I needed exactly Gandalf in 1 or maybe 2 turns or I had no chance on the quest, but luckily he was the top card of the deck. Still, had to fight through the Troll's trample and manage to get the damage on it through its 4 defense, so, well, Arwen had to get squashed by the troll. After that it was smooth sailing, but I definitely felt more oppressed than the quest's 3 difficulty would indicate, but it was a real fun time.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I paid the $20 for this http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/146012 and just ordered enough LotR expansions and sleeves to put me over the $100 for free shipping. I have 3x Core and then everything chronologically through Heirs of Numenor and all the sleeved cards fit in the first 3 boxes of the 12 box hotel.

They have the Fantasy Flight FFS05 sleeves for $2.89 per 50 so it is only slightly more expensive than Potomac unless you can get your Potomac order up enough to get free shipping.

Although I guess I live in NoVA and one of my friends goes out to Potomac every few months to get stuff so I should just have him get me a box of sleeves next time.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Revise your decklist so that it contains literally every healing card you have access to, then hope your draw lines up. I think it's generally accepted to be one of the worst-designed quests as far as just bringing a one-size-fits-all deck to challenge with.

My notes from the Quest Log, where I see I used a deck with Dunhere, Denethor, and Core Set Glorfindel:

Boco_T posted:

Had 20 cards in hand, only 11 remaining in deck by the end, including a turn where I drew 8 cards. Asfaloth helped quite a bit, and having no ranged allies ever hurt. In the end I had 2 Athelas and 11 damage on Wilyador, so I used my final resource point on Glorfindel to heal the final odd point and win, at the expense of Glorfindel suiciding himself out of the game. Very tense, I used all 3 healing herbs but actually had to use 1 very early to prevent Denethor from being killed by a Treachery card. Only drew 1 Lore of Imladris, the other 2 in my remaining 11 cards in the deck.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
LotR LCG Core is a self-contained box for one or two, and there's a lot of good content in there. Maybe get Hobbit Over Hill and Under Hill because that has book-based quests that would be familiar to people and also two suggested deck lists so you can get into the quests without having to do a deep dive into deck building strategy.

I tried Massing at Osgiliath last night with the Frodo Glorfindel Aragorn questing deck, but because it is quite ally-light it I basically got dead-ended at the fourth stage when the Witch-King swoops in.

It didn't really help that I had Burning Brand and two Unexpected Courage on Aragorn but then drew all 3 Hasty Strokes. Probably would have been better to have any 3 other cards in the deck, although I also got a second Light for Glorfindel. Sold Frodo down the river on stage 3 and just didn't have enough allies to ever clear the Witch-King's 6 threat and -1 quest on every character, nor did I have any good number of allies to eat his attacks to make questing easier.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
There are also some cheap parted out Core Set auctions on eBay where you can top off some of the less-than-3 cards with out paying the full price of an extra Core and without then owning doubles of all the Sauron enemy cards that you won't ever need.

1 extra of the 2-ofs to make a playset, $8
1 extra of 1-ofs, $20

That was how I made it so I had 3 of everything and no extra stuff.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Shout out to The Redhorn Gate for milling over all the Victory Point cards before stage 3 so that I was only at 4 points after passing Caradhras and had to cycle through the entire Encounter deck and get a reshuffle before I could win. Luckily I was able to use West Road Traveller to double trigger The Dimrill Stair so my Threat was only at like 8 when I found myself in that predicament. In the end it took me 39 turns to clear. Fun quest though, even if I had to take Spirit Arwen out of the deck because the quest gave you the objective/ally one.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I know this is dumb for me to be asking with like 20 LotR things unpurchased and even more scenarios unplayed by me yet, but is the Pathfinder Card Game any good, particularly as a solo game? I saw some of the card packs at the game store today and it looked interesting.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
That settles that, thanks.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The 6-set series (i.e. Hunt for Gollum through Return to Mirkwood) have the same symbol because they're a "cycle" but each major release has its own symbol, similar to Magic. So they won't use the Spider again.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Zephro posted:

Can someone clear something up regarding LOTR?

I get that you need the big box to play the packs for each cycle. Are the 'Saga' boxes self-contained, though, as in playable with only one core? The first one seems to be, but the others don't always specify. If I have a single Core and I bought the Treason of Saruman, say, could I actually play it?
Yeah, that's all you need. I think most of the booklets that come with those even have suggested deck lists for just core + that box.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Zephro posted:

OK, thanks! Finally, if I'm planning to play with a friend, we can play with just one Core and one box between us, right? But if we want to start building our own decks to take around we'll want a Core + expansion each so that we can hang on to the player cards?

(Sorry if these are dumb questions, I think the idea of a co-op LCG kinda breaks my brain)

edit for specifics: my friend has the Core and the two Hobbit saga boxes. I only have the Core. Would it be worth investing in my own copies of the Hobbit boxes if I think I'm going to like the game and I want to get into it? I'm guessing yes.
Well for just a 2-player game, only one person needs the Sauron deck cards, so you wouldn't technically need those for yourself to just play the scenario. Like if you are always Leadership + Lore and he's always Spirit + Tactics, you could theoretically borrow cards out of his sets and split your expansion buying that way, but it would take some amount of time after playing to make sure you aren't taking the other player's cards home with you.

But yeah, the more expansions you buy, the larger your player card pool is going to be.

The Postscript section on this page has some tips if you just want to buy a few expansions to improve the quality of a Dwarf deck or just get a themed start to your expansion buying. It also has breakdowns of what kind of cards you get in the expansions to help you decide what order to buy them in.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Probably worrying too much. I'd say the first time you probably want to just build a good deck to beat scenarios, you can always go back and replay stuff with themed decks later. If you're making a deck focused on questing, I'd say the best tip then is to see if your friend will build a deck more focused on combat.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
It's on the boat according to FFG's site, so in a month or whatever it'll be back to normal price.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
This might help as well: https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-player-buying-guide/

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
For solo play you start playing Spirit Glorfindel because of Asfaloth and Light of Valinor. At least, that's what I've ended up doing. The deck that does the best against the most scenarios for me is Conflict Frodo, Foundations Glorfindel, and Watcher Aragorn.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
RIP in peace Arwen, died on the road to Rivendell after 2 "deal 1 damage" effects came off the Encounter deck in the same turn and I didn't engage the evil crows so I wasn't able to Hasty Stroke the second one.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Tonight I played The Watcher in the Water and the game mechanic they used for Stage 2 when you're trying to get into the Door of Durin was great. Took me 3 turns of flipping because my Spirit/Lore deck has no chance to kill the Watcher, but finally Lore of Imladris matched the flipped Light of Valinor to get me the win. Super tense and really fun, even if I will be happy to never see another Warg Lair again in my life.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
After the first few sets they started putting gold rings around some of the cards in the Encounter deck that you could take out if you wanted a more casual version of a quest, but yeah I guess the No Shadow Cards is also a rulebook-listed way of making the game easier on new players as well.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Wow, that site looks fantastic.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
There's enough content in that set for you to figure out if you like to play the game and the way it's set up you can get a good amount of replay value out of it. I think the general recommendation for a single first purchase to go with the core set would be the first Hobbit Saga expansion, Over Hill and Under Hill.

This is a helpful list if you like to read, but also it's probably most helpful once you've played the Core Set a few times:
https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-player-buying-guide/

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I love Tactics Eowyn, that is some premium flavor

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
It's Youtube, turn it on 2x and watch it in 21 minutes

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I don't know anything about the L5R game, are you guys talking about mechanically unique promos or just alternate arts or what

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Did anyone watch the stream? I’m at work so I didn’t get to see it yet.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The Steam version of the Lord of the Rings LCG comes out on August 28 and they are releasing a special card game box set that is a bunch of Core Set physical cards combined with the Founder Pack digital stuff:
https://steamcommunity.com/games/509580/announcements/detail/1674658681936786191

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The playmat was what sold me, I'm a mark who was going to buy all the digital tiers anyway so the math worked out. More money than sense when it comes to card games.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Seems pretty cool, I guess Terrinoth is a FFG-owned IP setting? The Eldritch setting was never my thing so I didn't get any Arkham stuff but I'll probably get this.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
https://twitter.com/ffi_games/status/1034456066120212481

Gonna try it out this evening. Free-to-play.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Once you do the Tutorial it unlocks enough cards to build a deck I think, you don’t have to buy anything. It just limits you to one hero of each sphere and a very small card pool.

I only had time to do the Tutorial so I didn’t see how much Valor you win from doing a scenario. I did see I had a Daily Quest for 90 Valor and the items that cost $2 to unlock cost 3500 Valor or something, lmao.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I ran through the first quest on Easy with a default deck and Normal with a Faramir Gimli Legolas deck I built. Difficulty seemed equal on both levels, and I scored 215 on Easy and 210 on Normal. It seems very difficult to get up to the 250 you need to get a lootbox, but I guess the first time you do that you get three lootboxes so I guess they want to gate it a bit. Like, maybe you're supposed to waste a bunch of extra turns putting Willpower into the Fate abilities to increase your score at the end of the run?

Game seems fun though. I will probably play just 1-2 quests a day for a while so that I don't burn out all the content in a single weekend.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I doubt it’s specifically what people on Steam are complaining about, but for me the biggest problem is that it’s not clear how much a playset of all playable cards costs. For every FFG LCG paper product, it’s always been “three cores plus each monthly release” and you can calculate that out. Here, I can’t even see a way where you can buy the Valor Cards you want if you run out of dust, and the total dust cost of a complete collection is nebulous.

The whole point of an LCG is you start with all the cards and you can build any deck you want.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Shadow cards are now basically Hearthstone Secrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The LOTR digital game came out on Switch this week, I saw it on the New Releases list