Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Warhammer Invasion is probably one of the best games to play for a couple, I have to say. It's easy to teach and the theme carries over well in the card mechanics. I've built almost all the decks with theme first and mechanics second, but the nice thing is that they end up pretty decent decks as far as I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

I've very nearly completed the set for Warhammer Invasion; I just have the last block to go. It is a great game. I would say it's probably the most accessible to a new player out of the LCGs, which goes a long way toward how much an exposure a game I own gets, since much of my gaming is with family versus my nerdier friends.

That being said, most of the other LCGs are deeper, or at the very least have a very different focus on how resources are allocated (LOTR LCG isn't very comparable to the rest, and Netrunner is it's very own distinctive beast). The factions are flavorful and the mechanics reflect that very well, now that I'm finishing up the set it has a very MTG Cube Format feel to it. Dwarfs are tough, Orcs smash things, Skaven have a bunch of rats, etc.

I managed to make a Dwarf deck that can't be beat by the other decks I've made, but loses to decking itself almost everytime. It focuses on mitigating damage plus damage resistant dwarfs, but can't pump out enough to finish an enemy. I'm going to have to tweak it.

Zombie #246 fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 7, 2014

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

The planet mechanics look kinda-sorta like the plots in Call of Cthulhu.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Paper Kaiju posted:

I've had the core set for GoT for several years now, and I really WANT to get into it, being a big fan of the books. But I swear, I've never managed to finish a game. Even just doing a 2p Joust, it always takes us over an hour just for one player to get half the amount of points needed; and since by then we've hit the point where Power challenges have started to come fully into play, we get the sensation that game is actually slowing down, instead of speeding up, so we always end up calling it quits.

I was wondering if there were any common rookie GoT mistakes we could be making that might be slowing the game down. As it stands, I just don't find it nearly as satisfying as Invasion or Netrunner, which also take half the time for us.

Playing the game with the base set with 4 took ages, if you like it enough I recommend getting the first 6 booster packs, it will go a long way to making the decks faster (because they will be more efficient). It dropped the 4 player game from 2 hours to 1 for us.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

I never played VTS but the GoT combat system in multi games sounds sort of similar if a bit more forced.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Hey for Warhammer Invasion, I think I'm missing something crucial here. Cards with the raider ability generate resources based on the raider value when they attack, but are those resources only for tactics cards at that point?

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

Would the Star Wars LCG be a good intro to the LCG genre for kids? My kids love games like Dominion and Ascension so I'd like to try an LCG with them. LotR is an option but they like Star Wars better.

Out of all the LCG's, I thought warhammer invasion was by far the simplest, but it may be too much "skulls and blood and murder" for them depending on their age. LotR is okay if you don't mind quarterbacking until they get it, because imo there is alot going on in the game state at any given point.

Star Wars is only 2 player aside from some 1 player vs many scenarios that came out with one of the expansions...I think. Overall however, I'd say Star Wars is the best option for kids to get into.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

For someone finally getting around to playing the Star Wars lcg I've had for a while, is there a general theme to the factions, or the types of decks you would typically see with them?

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

SolitarySolidarity posted:

I recently picked up LOTR: LCG. I've enjoyed it so much that the Mirkwood Adventure Packs and Hobbit: Over Hill and Under Hill are on their way in the mail.

I'm already thinking about my next purchase like some sort of addict. I know my next purchase will be On The Doorstep and Khazad-Dum in order to complete the Hobbit campaign and get a good foundation for a dwarf deck. I'm just wondering if I should pick up another core set first before jumping into those. It would be nice to get triples of most of the core set player cards, but will I still be using a good number of them from here on out when I have 6 APs and 2 Saga expansions available?

I know a second core set is a no-brainer for a lot of players because they want a complete deck. But if I end up ditching the entire core set because the Deluxe/Saga options are better then I'd rather spend money on the expansions I don't have yet. Does anyone use a good number of core set cards even with newer cards available?

I've got good mileage out of 1 core set plus the the first wave of boosters. That being said I'm getting a second core before moving on.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

How do I deal with the drat hill trolls in the second quest in the main LoTR set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

djfooboo posted:

I really hated the GoT LCG. Does this reboot change enough to sway me?

It's been maketed mostly as the same but different, but they haven't gotten far into the mechanics of it, just says by they've removed some of the clunkier systems in an already clunky game. My suspicion that s you would not like it if you hated the first.