Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
The second expansion they're doing in 2019 is more villains (after Captain America). I think I read somewhere it's Thanos's villains?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I grabbed all the Marvel Champions spoiled in the Team Covenant videos, through them up on imgur.

https://imgur.com/a/YXHTzWH

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

nomadotto posted:

Interesting! I like the resource mechanic, but the way that Black Panther works seems.... bad? Maybe it'll play better in practice, but having having a bunch of low-quality cards that become above average with an enabler seems less good than just doin' stuff.

His Upgrade cards don't do anything at all.

He has 7 copies of Wakanda Forever (7/40 with the draw rates they went through seem good). So, as the game goes on, he ramps and ramps until Wakanda Forever becomes this beast of a card. Both he and Iron Man seem to lean heavily on ramping.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
When I have time to do a proper job I should probably start a Marvel Champions thread, but until then, here's a link to the Green Goblin pack announcement.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/8/8/the-green-goblin/

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
This is their first game since they got their new KeyForge printer relationship/setup, so I'm curious to see how it plays out.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Team Covenant is playing Marvel Champion's Ultron on Expert mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpkMSSXJLlc

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
FFG just previewed the first hero pack, Captain America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erz_-YEar6I

• He's dope
  • Confirmed that he's Leadership
  • The unaccounted for 13 cards (the difference between 60 in a pack and the 47 needed to make a deck) will be a playset of other Aspect cards + Neural playset + Divider with Decklist
  • There will be reprints

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
And the FFG announcement article.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/9/10/stars-and-stripes/

Announcing the second pack before the core has dropped. Is this normal for FFG? I can't remember any more.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Current timeline, subject to the vagaries of FFG being FFG:

• October - Core
  • November - Green Goblin
  • December - Captain America
  • January - Ms. Marvel
  • February - Wrecking Crew

I will wager two donuts March is Thor.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Bottom Liner posted:

I think it'd make a lot more sense to have each pack be a hero and villain combo. It'll be weird buying a new hero and only being able to replay old content. I'll probably just buy them in twos for that reason.

The reasoning seems to be a desire to make the game more welcoming for casuals.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

The Black Stones posted:

Hey guys. Question came up for with friend for Game Of Thrones LCG.

For Mandon Moore
http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php...don-moore-r1201

If you don’t have the cards in hand to satisfy the discard requirement do you have to kill a person, or can you choose the option to discard and because you have no cards you paid as much of a cost as you could and nothing happens?

It's not choose. It's "Do X unless you do Y." Did your opponent choose and discard 2, not 3, not 1, not 0, but 2 cards from their hand? If yes, awesome. If no, then they choose and kill a character.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

The Black Stones posted:

Ok, thanks. Appreciate the clarification.

No problem, happy to help. Apologies for tone.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Bought it. Played it with the wife over the weekend. Running organized play for my FLGS next Tuesday.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I'd be very curious to see what the contracts required. Because FFG is making some of their own art (the cards that have artist attribution), because those seem to be some of the worst offenders.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Foehammer posted:

Thematically, shouldn't it be like, Ms. Marvel?

How is a stretchy teen from Jersey anything like Gandalf?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Sorry, I was thinking about the current Ms. Marvel. The one in the game, since she'll be the second hero pack, coming after Captain America and notably before Thor.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/10/8/metamorphosis/

Regarding Captain Marvel, I think thematically Nick Fury makes the most sense thematically - he's the one who's everywhere with the answers.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

The Black Stones posted:

Does anybody know how the tournament format works for a game like Marvel? I have a friend interested but he doesn’t own and would just borrow a deck from me. So if I need all 4 decks available that wouldn’t help.

While I’ve pretty much got all the rules down I do have a question about resources. When you play a card like Iron Mans damage one where you discard cards from the deck, and it has to have a certain symbol in order for it to do more damage, does the “wild/anything” resource count for that? Or is that only when you play it from your hand?

Wild counts as any resource, unless the rules specify printed resource. Assuming you're talking about Relentless Assault, if you pay for that with a Wild resource, then the attack gains Overkill.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Rusty Kettle posted:

He isn't announced, but Im looking forward to Hulk. Bruce Banner doesn't have much control over when he becomes Hulk, so it'll be interesting to see how they translate that.

Since Hulk is already in the game (as an Aggression Ally), I'm curious when Hulk will be added as a hero.

I am very interested in seeing how Allies/Villains/Heroes get re-included in new forms.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Zerf posted:

While it seems like a cool idea, let's not kid ourselves - lots of cards will suck and become binder fodder, and you'll probably have 1 (2 after a while) decks of each aspect which are good. The same goes for the Hero packs, which will most likely be bad-to-average at best without any changes.

I don't doubt that there will be garbage cards.

But, I wonder if the nature of the Hero and Villain decks will require a greater diversity of Aspect decks.

On the Hero side, for example, heroes care about resources. So you'll want to have a Leadership deck with lots of Physical, and one with lots of Energy, etc. Not even counting that some heroes want to be able to do different things. I can imagine that, ten packs from now, Captain Marvel wants very different Leadership cards than Spider-Man.

On the Villain side, I suspect that villains will require certain builds, especially on Expert mode. Ultron in the Core Set seems to require an ability to go wide, and what we've seen of Green Goblin seems to want spikey damage. So those are two different decks.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Jarvisi posted:

So far the box seems pretty nice. Just got it today. Though why did the game come with slots for dividers while not actually having any?

A question for the ages

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Living Card Game That: What The gently caress Is FFG Up To Now?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I wonder if you two are talking about the same game...

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

PerniciousKnid posted:

LCG Thread: Build your own endgame

That is better.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
As I understand it, the whole point is that you can't have both (villain and hero) in play. That's by design. That's why Shadows of the Past, currently the only card that puts Nemeses into play, says that if they don't go into play, that card gains surge.

If you're fighting Loki the Villain, then Loki the Nemesis won't come into play. You're already fighting him. Thor doesn't have to deal with the Shadows of his Past, because he's currently dealing with them. Loki's machinations aren't a distraction, they're the main event.

If you're fighting alongside Loki the Hero, then Loki the Nemesis won't come into play. He's not going to screw you up.[*] Thor doesn't have to deal with the Shadows of his Past because Loki is on his side right now.

Or maybe I don't understand it?

[*] This example doesn't work as great, narratively, with Loki, because he's exactly the kind of fucker who would gently caress you while he's on your side.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Consensus on discord is that villain HP is printed.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
If the card doesn't exhaust your hero/alter ego, you can still use your basic ability.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Black Widow looks slick, and I'm glad that they're using heroes to introduce mechanics without gating them behind the hero. It'll be interesting to see how keywords like "Tech" and "Preparation" grow as the card pool starts getting deep enough to really think about.

I was building a deck last night, and I was running Concussive Blow, and I was making judgment calls on cards I wouldn't have played before because I really wanted reliable "Fist" cards.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I kept all my AGOT and Netrunner boxes.

I'm loving Champions, but their new clamshells aren't the same and don't feel worth keeping.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

The Black Stones posted:

AGOT has done the clamshells for quite a while. It got introduced during the 2.0 cycle. If Champions is anything like GoT packaging the only cardboard will be for big box expansions.

I stopped AGOT at the end of 1st Edition and took up Netrunner.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I've played some 3 and 4 player games of Wrecking Crew. They feel hard, I'm constantly agonizing over my next turn, and they hit hard, but I don't actually think they are hard. I think you play your cards and you win at a large player count.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Brother Voodoo was the Sorcerer Supreme for a while, so I expect we'll get there eventually.

I feel bad about a card (Sorcerer Supreme) that only one hero can play, so I suspect we'll have to get another Mystic hero in the near future. My money's on Scarlet Witch.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
So maybe we get more Ashes content after all?

https://www.dicebreaker.com/categories/board-game/news/plaid-hat-announces-summoner-wars-second-edition

quote:

Dauch added that Summoner Wars: Second Edition would serve as a test run for ideas that, if successful, could lead to the revival of Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Marvel Champions has really good timing clocks. It doesn't feel artificial (the game ends after N turns), but the game can't go on forever. I like it a lot.

The balance isn't quite there yet, but I hope they do get there. Specifically, it's rough at 1 v 4 players. On the one hand, you have 1-player Rhino possibly OTKs, and on the other, you've got 4-player Wrecking Crew or Risky Business, where you can't lose the game unless you're not paying attention, even with novices.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
What's Thor's best Aspect, other than Aggression?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
If we get Scott Lang before Hank Pym I will be very disappointed for about ten minutes and then move on with my life.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

smug jeebus posted:

If you're playing it a lot and you enjoy it, it's probably worth your while to get everything except Wrecking Crew.

So is the consensus that Wrecking Crew is a waste of time? (I already bought it, so I care less if it's a waste of money.)

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I have it and I played it once (all A side) in a pub-game. I had fun, but I never felt like I was on the ropes. I was wondering if the all B side was harder. Because if the all B side is sufficiently solveable, then yeah, it seems like a bit of a lost opportunity.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Yeah, my favorite mechanics that FFG comes up with (plot cards, pods, asymmetric play) never seem to get any love. But Gandalf keeps coming back.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Wrecking Crew promised "new" mechanics and failed to deliver, but this is pretty fantastic. Kang not getting a boxed set is maybe surprising. Can't wait to have more villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Oh man, I got right into Ashes as it was dying. The draft nature of the game makes it super fun for a board game night for people who aren't into LCGs. This is incredible news.