Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
So with Phoenixborn 1.5, is that only a core refresh? It sounds like this is a soft reboot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I can't think of any other than L5R and (thankfully, now) Ashes.

Doomtown is kind of fun, and still kinda sorta in production.

And I wouldn't discount Nisei Netrunner; it's really rock solid.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Is that ranking based on solo play? Does Thor still take the bottom place if you're ranking for 3p-4p?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Fritzler posted:

Will either proxy Reinforced Suit to use that Spider-Woman deck for my first play through of Rise of the Red Skull

My search-fu is weak. What set is Reinforced Suit in?

Found it. Ant-Man.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 1, 2020

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Of the four heroes listed, three of them were homebrew, which is fine and fun, but the results are always going to be wonky

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I am reasonably confident I made the first home brew villain deck.I am a firm believer in the power and in the fun of creating new modules, villains, and heroes.

That being said, I think conversations about decks that involve homebrew require some context, and possibly even some siloing. Talking about Marvel Champions with homebrew and without homebrew are two completely different games.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
A Leadership/Protection Spider-Woman plan is forming in my head.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I find Rhino to be a joke at 3+ players. With 3 players, you have one player dedicated to Thwart, one dedicated to rear end-kicking, and one who bounces to wherever you're hurting. Rhino's scary reputation stems entirely from a massive Scheme swing, which can happen, but it's only scary if it happens N times in a row, where N is the number of players. It has decent chance of happening in a 1 player game. The likelihood of Rhino Scheming enough to scare three players is slim.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Golden Bee posted:

In solo you would never want to do it, in multiplayer it’s not that big a deal

I feel like it's equally balanced. In Solo, your don't want that Threat, but in 4P, you're actually going to go through the encounter deck a few times, so that acceleration is equally bad

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Yeah, I'm of the opinion that if you think obligations aren't a choice, you haven't played enough. I can only assume about 1-2P games, but in 3-4P games, you're often in situations where you can't choose one of the options, because you have to do X or you'll lose.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I get that some of the decks are going to have repeat cards, but Rocket's deck felt like too many cards I had already seen before.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Where's that Goon who always talks about homebrew like it's actually part of the game?

I couldn't give two shits about homebrew heroes, but I wouldn't object to a polished, balanced villain deck.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2021/6/3/to-edge-of-the-earth/

FFG new release model

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Just got Star-Lord (accidentally thrice), and I am ecstatic so see cards keying off of aerial.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

alansmithee posted:

Also I got to try the new Vampire Rivals lcg.

Ooh, this is the first I'm hearing of this.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

McGurk posted:

What does Longshot mean here? Do you have a link to the deck?

Golden Bee likes playing with a lot of homebrew.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
How is GMW as a campaign with scenarios versus standalone? Does playing it as a campaign make it harder or easier?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I'm wondering what the odds are we'll see Vision, Sam Wilson, Winter Soldier, Shang-Chi, and Kate Bishop Hawkeyes as decks. Maybe I'm missing how marketing works, but it feels like leaving money on the table to not have the main characters of the current MCU properties as decks. Like, by all means, go get Flash Thompson Venom and Quicksilver, yes please. But also, there's a lot of marketing going on that FFG could be piggy backing on.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
In hindsight, what are peoples' thoughts on the pod deck building mechanic in the Star Wars LCG? Clever? Overly limiting? Other thoughts?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
People who played it, I feel like it makes decks less consistent - you only have 1 or 2 copies of a lot of cards. True or false impression?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Fan made stuff for a game that's still in production? Not interested.

Individuals-as-fans making stuff is too much chaff to wade through, not interested.

Glad to hear there's a committee for AGOT-as-NISEI, though. I think having things go through a group process is usually a good idea.

A vast majority of Marvel fan-made stuff is hot garbage or worse. The community seems to be focusing a bit on creating some "official homebrew community-endorsed" committee type stuff, which is good to see. Though still a waste of time for a game that's actively supported.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Golden Bee posted:

The official homebrew thing was well established in early 2019. If you have a creator to create something good, they probably created five or six (or 10!)?other things that are good, either other characters, aspects or villains. And if someone made something bad, don’t look at their other stuff. It’s not like you’re looking for hay in a needle stack.

Rainy, designhacker, NeBookworm, ekaugust, embitteredsoul. Those five people have put out nearly as much content as the official game company.

Fair enough. I stand corrected. I just know I've started getting @everybody pings on Discord in the last week or two; I'll admit I didn't look too closely. I have no need of homebrew stuff for a game that's putting out a new deck every month when I still haven't played enough of the official stuff.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Doing SP//dr and Spider-ham over Spider-Man Noir is not what I expected.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
For me, Nova is the surprise. Ironheart seems obvious, since she's probably the most prominent MCU female to not have a deck.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Haven't heard of it, look forward to buying it when preorders open.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
WHOOPS. Delete. Thanks, Thirsty Dog.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 4, 2022

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

The Black Stones posted:

Nova/Sam Alexander announced for Marvel Champions. Looks like he has a really good kit and I’m excited to see more.

What they also stealthily announced, was that it seems they cannot keep up with their releases and they’re now every other month. Which explains why nothing new was announced till now. Sinister Motives is March, and Nova is April. Gets me a little worried about the state of the game.

Yeah, if not being able to put a pack out a month is a shipping thing, I get it, the world is weird.

If it's a "we don't pay our developers enough because we were gutted by private equity", which is what I assume it is, well, I always assumed it would happen.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Wait, so is Armadillo in lieu of Nova's nemesis?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Don't they usually mention the nemesis?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
And again, they don't mention a nemesis, which feels weird. I doubt FFG is giving us a bonus seven cards from nowhere, so where are those bonus seven cards coming from?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Fritzler posted:

I am assuming (but this is a guess), that Nova has less non-aspect cards than most other heroes, so we have same total number of cards. Maybe all Allies? I’m hoping they’re all other champions (or other novas).

Actually, scuttlebutt from reddit and Discord is you're correct. The cardpool is sufficiently deep that not every pack needs to have a new card for each aspect; getting more modulars is deemed to also have value. Also, pairing packs reinforces this - between the two packs you can have a new aspect so the pool changes slightly over time.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Can’t wait for this to drop stateside.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I have a subscription with my FLGS, so I get it when they get it.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I mostly play 4P, and I've been having a blast with Spectrum. The ability to be what the other line-up is missing is often helpful, and if the other three players cover the Attack/Defend/Thwart spread, being able to cycle through and give the other players an easy turn is really nice.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I do love that Cloud 9 is shown giving a bonus to Aerial characters, right next to a character with wings who does not have the Aerial trait.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I was thinking of seeing if Arkham Horror was for me. I still have the Super Complete TTS mod from before it was taken down. How far is that going to get me, and is there anything I need to be concerned about?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I can’t really answer your question but I wanted to let you know there’s a dedicated Arkham Horror thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989685

Thank you!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
FFG has shown with Arkham that they're willing to errata cards pretty aggressively. I don't understand why they're so reticent with Marvel.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Yessssssss.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

DLC Inc posted:

(probably in a dual pack)

What's a dual pack?

I think your picks are good ones, and I'd probably bet the same.