Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Just realized my FFLGS (former FLGS) dropped the ball on my subscription. Need to go get Cyclops and Phoenix post haste.

LifeLynx posted:

"Unlimited" is a we-ran-out-of-names name for a TCG. All the good names were already taken by failed two-player competitive Star Wars games.

Ah, yes. Vastly inferior to names like Star Wars: The Collectible Card Game, Star Wars: The Trading Card Game, Star Wars: The Deck Building Game, and my favorite, Star Wars: The Card Game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

PaybackJack posted:

Off the top of my head you also forgot Star Wars: The Customizable Card Game. There was also another TCG from the mid 00s I have laying around somewhere that was a model game(like that old Pirates of Spanish Main game).

I believe the first C on SWCCG from Decipher switched from Customizable to Collectible at some point? That was the game I was referring to; same one.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

PaybackJack posted:

That's not the one I was thinking of, as you mentioned everyone thinks the CCG stands for Collectible, but on googling the one I was thinking of had the Episode 1 tag.

edit: Found the "other" tcg too.

I stand corrected!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Arkham Horror GenCon Discussion Today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUbBTqEHlz8

Marvel Champions GenCon Discussion Tomorrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kiNTn5qRGo

(Both by FFG.)

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
The Feast of Hemlock.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2023/8/4/a-feast-of-hemlock/

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Bottom Liner posted:

Star Wars Unlimited is the most paint by numbers dull rear end TCG FFG has ever made. The star wars deckbuilder does more in that tiny cheap box mechanically and thematically. Actually shocked how vanilla Unlimited is.

I've been playing a lot all weekend and I find the sequencing really interesting. It's pretty simple, but that's okay by me - more games need to follow Magic and have emergent complexity. No more L5R please.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Bottom Liner posted:

I like the aspects and alternating activations but everything else is exactly what we've done in hundreds of games at this point.
Yeah, SWU does not appear to be in any way novel. It's basically taking the WoW TCG's resource system (which feels great), EDH's Commanders, and the alternating actions and two-lanes we've seen in a lot of other games, and made a game out of that.

I feel like at this point, in the CCG space, it's a pick-two-of-three scenario: novel, familiar, and easy to teach. You can't do all three. I don't think FFG wants to shake up the model any (they tried with Destiny and failed), so it's got to be familiar. And I think they've struggled with complex card games (L5R and Netrunner and AGoT), so it's got to be easy to teach like Pokemon/Lorcana. If it's going to be familiar and easy to teach, it's not going to be novel.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I feel like AGoT isn't that complex when you're a goon nerd who subscribes to the LCG thread.

But when you teach it to somebody who has only played kitchen table Magic or Pokemon, its got a lot more core mechanics.

So you've got two different hands... You've got two different kinds of discard piles... You've got three different kinds of battles with different outcomes for each. What's the difference between crests and traits? You've got roles to claim.

One of the (many) reasons Magic is so successful is that its core loop is trivial, its complexity is emergent. I can build a deck of French vanilla creatures and sorceries and teach Magic in minutes and it would be a decent game.

By comparison? Yeah, AGoT is complicated.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

HidaO-Win posted:

The thing is, the Star Wars Unlimited game is going to ask you to pay CCG prices for half assed design, awful borders and el cheapo art? Given its only going to hook in the diehards, that sets it up for 1-2 years of life. Who wants to be the sucker cracking boosters on that model.

I bought the Transformers CCG because I liked the game, love Transformers and I bought it EXPECTING it to die in a year, and knowing I could build 10-20 decks and have an awesome convention game forever. Does Star Wars Unlimited fit into that space?

The critiques I've seen of SWU are:
  • The art is ugly. I like it, but it's heavily stylized and Star Wars art had historically not been.
  • The layout sucks. I'm ambivalent but it really pops on the table. It's super easy to read. I've been playing all weekend and it's one of the more visually clear card games in my collection.
  • The design is boring. Okay. Granted. I'm fine with good amalgamations but others want novelty.
  • It's not a good game. I'm having a lot of fun. The sequencing is tight. I'll happily play limited for a year or two.
  • FFG can't steward games. Agreed 100%. My confidence in them to not drive this into the ground is not super high.

I'm not signing up to defend SWU, but I've liked what I've seen enough to know I want to see more. I like the team behind it, I've liked all the FFG LCGs. I'm in an optimistic wait and see mode.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Bottom Liner posted:

Explaining timing rules and the stack to a non gamer is more complicated than every LCG combined. Magic doesn't have emergent complexity, it has decades of keyworded mechanics layered on to the base game.

MtG is only simple to someone that has been playing it for decades (and even then players will frequently have rule disputes).

Yeah, but all of the timing issues in Magic can be layered on. You can build fun teaching decks without engaging in that mode at all. After a person has played four or five games you can start to introduce all that complexity.

To be clear, on my earlier post I was thinking about the complexity of the teach, not complexity as a whole. I probably didn’t make that clear, so at the risk of being accused of moving the goal posts, that’s what I’m talking about.

That's the problem with half the LCG/CCGs out there: they compare their base game with the entirety of Magic and think they're not that complicated, when you don't teach a new player the entirety of Magic in the first game.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Fan continuations of games are built on the premise of "I desire [thing], but you own the rights to [thing]; gently caress IP."

(I say this as a fan of of fan continuations.)

The thought that groups of people organizing to use IP that doesn't belong to them would like to use AI does not boggle the mind.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Bottom Liner posted:

This isn't the full picture. It's also bad when a paid artist uses it for a big project like Kickstarter campaigns for a variety of reasons. It's still plagiarism, it gives the companies the false sense that they can get vast amounts of artwork cheaply, etc. No jobs are lost in this instance, but it still harms the entire working artist economy.

I also take issue with this, lumping people who want to continue supporting a game design and community with people that are ok with stealing and plagiarizing work is not fair*. Continuing game design/dev work and community support is not stealing IP. They may end up in legal trouble because companies can enforce copyright protections in vast overreaching ways, but I do not think the concept of fan projects for dead games are close to the same as people using AI art, especially something like Midjourney.

*this specific case being the exception, of course.

It certainly looks like, say, Star Wars Destiny: A Renewed Hope or Star Trek CCG: The Continuing Committee (links are to recent fan sets) are using art (stills from Clone Wars and Trek shows respectively) that they don't own the rights to? (Or do they?)

Fan communities keep making material for a thing they don't own. We may find it more ethically morally palatable because they're stealing from Disney and Paramount instead of a somebody on itch, but that's still what's happening.

I actually give a ton of credit to Null Signal Games: they seem to have gone through the effort of actually stripping out a lot of the IP (new icons, new frames). Do other fan made projects do this?

PaybackJack posted:

It's funny because the defacto stance on this fan content was basically started by Decipher that told fans to essentially make whatever to keep the game going as long as they didn't attempt to profit from it or infringe upon the IP of other stuff which is why all the Star Wars and Star Trek cards didn't use new art was so that there was no legal infringement of pushing players towards printing their own game. It's been a *fairly* recent thing IMO that these games started to get daring enough to try and push custom content into having whole new cards; specifically with Star Wars/Trek CCGs. FFG opened the door a lot more with the fan continued versions of Netrunner/Conquest as they were basically like "do whatever as long as you aren't profiting from it".

Over on the Star Wars Unlimited discord I was talking to one of the people who work on the SW CCG continuing committee, and they (apparently) actually have a license with both Decipher and Lucasfilm to keep making the fan sets (TIL). That's why they don't use stills (as opposed to other games) - but they can use "new art". But since the SW CCG didn't use art, it used stills, their "new art" is photos of cosplayers and 3D renders of ships and planets.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 20, 2023

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I know they're called "waves" instead of cycles (right?), but Marvel Nextwave featured Monica Rambeau (already released), Elsa Bloodstone, and Tabitha Smith. Smith is too deep a cut, but Elsa Bloodstone's in the MCU so she's not entirely out of contention.

But it's probably just going to be more X-Men.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I feel like Marvel Champions is one of the more "kid friendly" of FFG's games, and Emma Frost feels like a slightly harder pitch for a game played by kids.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

The Black Stones posted:

I’ll just throw it out in the thread. If anyone’s able to get their hands on a promo kit I’ll make it worth their while to send one to me. I don’t feel like spending the 300$ that scalpers want.

FFG sucks so much poo poo. “Yes, your LCS will ask us for product and we’ll just shrug”

OOTL. What promo kit? Why does FFG suck?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
On the one hand, I get it: if you can't get them it sucks that you can't get them.

On the other hand, my understanding is that these promos are to support Organized Play, and if they're made available outside OP then that kind of defeats the purpose of having the promos.

Honestly, I think OP promos are kind of a mistake for an LCG: LCG people have a "get everything" mentality that clashes with it, whereas TCG players tend to accept that they're not able to get complete sets of everything.

I know that the Asmodee distributor kind of sucks rear end which is why FFG opted not to use them for Star Wars Unlimited.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

PaybackJack posted:

That's why I said out of season. After a cycle of promos ends and a new one begins the old ones should be available for everyone to purchase if they want them.

Supporting OP is a great idea in theory but if it's 50/50 that your LGS is going to get them, or that you have to go way out of your way to find an LGS that does then that kind of defeats the point. Also having stores just turn around and flip the kits isn't better for consumers either. These kits aren't like FNM promos where WotC would send them out like candy on Halloween. Sadly FFG OP just isn't at that level and as a result many customers, have a negative experience instead of a positive one.

I'm really curious to see how the Star Wars game turns out. The art is so bad on the normal card, I feel like I'd need to get the some of the alternate arts just to enjoy it.

But assume the there's OP in my town, but I know I can just order them in a few months. I'm not in a rush - what's the incentive to go get them at my LGS if I can just order them online? They have to be exclusive or the value to the OP program is nil. Like, it's exclusionary and it sucks if you're excluded, but I feel like that's the name of the game. Looking at the exclusive cards at something like Flesh and Blood, which most stores around me can't get, sucks too.

Again, I think it was a mistake to do them with an LCG - you were never going to get the store buy-in for them that a TCG OP can generate.

Truth be told, it's my understanding all the MC promos are just trial balloons to get the printing and distribution tested for SWU.

I absolutely loving love the SWU art, but yeah, it's pretty contentious. Off-topic for thread, I guess.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

PaybackJack posted:

The incentive is that would you get them for free(* cost of the event), you'd be able to experience the release event with other people, and you'd get them months early.

The point of the OP is to get people to go out to the store and partake in the event, but if they just want the cards they're already just going to order them online.

1. Get Them For Free: When you factor in gas, that's drat close to a wash, but I'll grant it.
  2. Experience the Release Event: This is the value of having OP already, irrespective of promos. It's either worth interacting with other human beings or it's not, "free cards" doesn't change the value of that.
  3. Get Them Months Early: Given that we have 1-2 month differences in peoples' ability to get the actual product, this seems of negligible value at best.

I get that it sucks. "I wish Asmodee distribution didn't suck" is a take I probably agree with. "I wish Asmodee and the stores in my area could get on the same page" is a take I think everybody agrees on. "I wish there was a store within driving distance that had MC OP" is a take I think most people empathize with, and is basically unsolvable because there's always somebody somewhere distant.

"They should sell the OP promos direct to consumers" is a take that I think misses the entire point of OP promos.

Anyway, I'm sorry that you want a thing and you can't get a thing without paying exorbitant prices for that thing, that's a badfeel.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

PaybackJack posted:

I'm not missing the point of the OP promos. What is the point of OP promos for a game that doesn't need to have a scene at your LGS? Ignoring the distribution issues of FFG/Asmodee, there's no reason to have OP for coop LCGs beyond the release of an expansion and then not offer them to your players. An OP promo is designed to help maintain a scene or promote the release of a new product. 95% of the player base for this game are not buying this and then sitting down in the store to play with other players. They aren't showing up weekly to play with their buddies. This is game played by families, small game groups, and individuals.

I have no problems with OP promos for games like Netrunner, Star Wars, L5R, SWU; that's all fine because those are competitive games that are designed to be played at store with other people. I played FNM for years and while the promos were cool, they were a bonus that rewarded people for doing the thing they already wanted to do: show up and play. I ran Netrunner, and L5R for years; still have a ton of promos(sent a bunch of Netrunner ones to people from SA for free because we had extras). No problem with them not selling promos for those games because those games had a scene that needed to be reinforced with prize support. This is not about me, because if i wanted the Marvel Champions promos I could have them.

There is zero reason for a cooperative/single player game to have restricted promos.

You and I are in agreement; I don't think they need to exist for MC.

I'll be curious to see if they continue to do so after SWU launches.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
It's really fascinating watching the SWU launch: FFG's doing pretty much everything right but they're really struggling to overcome the reputational damage from Destiny.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

neosloth posted:

The art on the star wars game is so repulsive that I haven’t even looked at the mechanics. It’s a bummer if they have all their eggs in that basket

I think this might be the most fun competitive game they've put out, possibly second to Netrunner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Bottom Liner posted:

I actually like most of the art and the general style they're doing, but the card layout is awful. I will probably proxy some decks and try it out, we had fun with Destiny that way.

I was down on the layout when I first saw it, but I've come around. I think we're used to seeing layout optimized for phones and social media, but that is kind of terrible for play.

When I printed out a bunch of proxy decks, I changed my mind on the layout. It's incredibly clear on the table. I can see my opponent's units and values pretty clearly without hinting at what I'm looking at. It's very, very functional. Function over form is nice, though maybe they went too far in favor of function.

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, FFG said this was their biggest project to date, in a way that comes off as almost desperate and like they're putting all their eggs in this basket to save what's left of the studio. They have serious plans for organized play for competitive, draft, casual, etc. I don't doubt the team is doing this all in earnest too, I just think it's going to be a tough road to plow in the current market.

Yeah, 2024 is going to be a brutal year for TCGs. It's going to be a bloodbath, as I understand it. And FFG definitely reeks of "last stand" here; I'm hopeful they pull it off because I like the game, but if it tanks (or worse, just stumbles along for a few years), I think it's the end of FFG in any shape or form.