Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Sweet. I got my second Core set, Khazad-Dum, and Over Hill And Under Hill recently, sat down and put together some decks but haven't gotten to try them out yet. Since we usually play with three I went with:

Gimli / Legolas / Denethor - The deck that should be able to handle almost all of the combat needs. Denethor is a solid defender and gives access to some healing stuff from Lore.

Aragorn / Theodred / Nori - Primarily Leadership, thought Spirit made sense to fit in because of Celebrian's Stone. Not many Dwarves but it was basically either Nori or Dwalin for the spot, Dunhere doesn't do a lot in 3-player games including a higher threat Tactics-based deck.

Eowyn / Eleanor / Beravor - Questing and support. Beravor seems to fit in nicely to either add questing power, draw cards, or even defend in a pinch, and she's one of the best recipients of Unexpected Courage, both copies of which are in this deck. Eleanor seems weak stat-wise but I think we'll appreciate her ability.

I think the biggest problem I have now is trying to not spend money on all the cards I could conceivably want, since I'm already interested in a bunch of other deck ideas. Thorin/Balin/Ori Dwarves, maybe mono-Tactics with Gimli/Beregond/[Legolas or Hama], and the Spirit/Lore deck would be insane with Eowyn/Spirit Glorfindel/Elrond. But not only do I not want to blow all the money to get everything right away, I think the game itself would be less enjoyable if I just went straight for the power cards and blasted through every quest with relative ease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I believe there was a recent post in the Netrunner thread where someone with just a Core set ended up placing very well in a local tournament. I'm assuming if you want the theoretical best-of-the-best deck you're going to have to spend some extra money, but seems like player skill may be able to make up some of the difference.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Zombie #246 posted:

Warhammer Invasion is probably one of the best games to play for a couple, I have to say. It's easy to teach and the theme carries over well in the card mechanics. I've built almost all the decks with theme first and mechanics second, but the nice thing is that they end up pretty decent decks as far as I can tell.

Yeah, I really enjoyed playing a few games with the core set, I like the ruleset a lot. For whatever reason I like keeping it as a "board game" LCG rather than a "buy a ton of cards and deckbuild" LCG.

Speaking of "buy a ton of cards", more LotR chat: tonight we tried out the decks I built against Escape from Dol Guldur, and found it... surprisingly easy? Everything just seemed to flow nicely for us and we were never particularly threatened. The one-ally-per-round restriction kept our development slow, and we got the "discard all event cards" treachery in the setup which was annoying, but none of the enemies or treacheries seemed particularly threatening: we had to read and re-read Iron Shackles because we were like "really, that's it?" I know it's definitely a scenario that's designed to be more difficult with fewer players, but we didn't expect it to feel considerably easier than Journey Along the Anduin. Anyone else have this experience, or did we just get lucky somehow? Are the Khazad-Dum and OHaUH quests generally more challenging?

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Taran_Wanderer posted:

I think it was mostly a matter of luck. Did you remember the errata? I know they made the Nazgul immune to attachments, at least.

Yeah, I actually must have gotten a more recent reprint of the Core set since everything has its errata printed. Nazgul can't have attachments, Beravor is once per round, Protector of Lorien is capped at three, etc.

The Nazgul, despite sounding somewhat threatening on paper, just wasn't a problem by the time we faced it. Since we couldn't summon a bunch of allies each turn, the Tactics/Lore deck spent all of its resources on attachments instead. So after we rescued the prisoner (Eleanor, which I suppose is a pretty lucky pick), he optionally engaged the Nazgul, defended with Denethor, no shadow effect (didn't matter since I had Hasty Stroke ready anyway), then Gimli with Dwarrowdelf Axe/Dwarven Axe/2 damage counters + Legolas + Veteran Axehand killed it in one shot. And the questing push following that was made trivial after Kili & Fili telling A Very Good Tale brought Faramir and a Guard of the Citadel into play, letting the Leadership/Spirit player crap out an enormous amount of Willpower each round after that.

So far it's basically felt like the initial setups that throw extra encounters at you before you've had a chance to develop can be the most difficult parts, but the "status quo" of handling 3 encounter cards per round seems really easy for three players to manage once you've gotten a few things into play. The specialization really helps, since I didn't have to worry about any monsters all game besides one of those 1/1/1 Orc guard tokens, and meanwhile the Tac/Lore player never committed a single character to the quest, but demolished the Nazgul the instant it appeared.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Baron Porkface posted:

In Lotr, what should I buy for dwarves after Khazad-dum? That plus core set doesn't seem like enough.

The two Hobbit saga expansions have a ton of Dwarf stuff, it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

mongol posted:

No, that is incorrect. Lorien Guide does not place a progress token if there isn't an active location.

It does work the other way around though, right? Like Legolas says to put tokens on the current quest, but if there's an active location they go there instead.