Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
I'm actually a little miffed at a friend who is a pretty decent gamer, and a strong Netrunner player gets MEGA pissed off at the GoT game, and we're just loving around with the core set. Valar Morghulis just existing makes him upset, and man he was pissed in a 3 player game when he discovered that being in first place means #2 and 3 start ganing up on you.

AGoT is its won brand of fun, but holy poo poo if you like a sense of permanence to your cards look elsewhere. You have to be able to get over dudes dying and "whoops, dude killed from loving nowhere." Much like Diplomacy, this game needs a separation of your ego from the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Paper Kaiju posted:

I've had the core set for GoT for several years now, and I really WANT to get into it, being a big fan of the books. But I swear, I've never managed to finish a game. Even just doing a 2p Joust, it always takes us over an hour just for one player to get half the amount of points needed; and since by then we've hit the point where Power challenges have started to come fully into play, we get the sensation that game is actually slowing down, instead of speeding up, so we always end up calling it quits.

I was wondering if there were any common rookie GoT mistakes we could be making that might be slowing the game down. As it stands, I just don't find it nearly as satisfying as Invasion or Netrunner, which also take half the time for us.

I've notecied that games take a while in Core Set context, and that's honestly because they're not great decks. I think FFG wanted you to get two Cores (as they do with everything,) and once you have that, you can build decks that streamline the process down and get games to crank out quicker. If anything, 3-6 player games slow things down further, as picking Small Council roles are (I noticed) taken 20% for their in-game effect, and 80% for who they effectively block from challenging them this round. Approximately.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Carteret posted:

At the bottom of their FAQ and Tourney Rules update post, they snuck a little line in there:

I got really interested as my first LCG when I got into the books, but the card pool was massive already. I have 2 Cores, and all of the big boxes, but they hadn't even revised or reprinted the first 2 cycles at that point and the packs with the Black/White Ravens were 80+ dollars on ebay thanks to scalpers. :smith:

Curious to see their solution, as I'm sure if it works we have that to look forward to Netrunner further down the line.

I'm interested as well. I have out here two dudes that buy it, love it, and basically play between themselves because no one else does. Once drafting was announced, interest shot up, because it was a card pool equalizer. Mr. Playset over there had his experience to back him, but drafting can mitigate the "Gotcha!" factor. I have a Greyjoy deck I built literally out of the house box (Kings of the Sea,) and I think it can do OK against any other house that has 2x Core to work with. I might take it the Meta Games' regional in Springfield, MO, just for a laugh. Some kind of catch-up set or "right, Cycles X, Y, and Z are legal" would be a boon for a newer player to come in and enjoy the tournament scene.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Evil Badman posted:

Has anyone played Warmachine/Hordes High Command? It's like the weird child of a deckbuilder in its gameplay with an LGS (expansions are a specific allotment).

I like it a bunch, but the core set doesn't sell it well. The expansions really open up gameplay. It solves a ton of issues I had with the DBG genre. Have a PG demo it before you pass on it.