Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

There doesn't seem to be much discussion about it, so i'm a little unsure if I want to buy Call of Cthulhu. I've always wanted to try a LCG and I have a few buddies that would love to dive in, but we're stuck between Warhammer and CoC. I personally love Cthulhu-themed games and literature, so I figured I would pick that up. Anyone want to talk me out of it before I take the dive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Rusty Kettle posted:

I'm pretty sure that out of all of the LCGs, it had the worst reception. I haven't heard anything specific as to why that is, but I think it is surviving on theme alone. Someone here might be able to elaborate on that more. Warhammer is cancelled, but if you wait a few months, there is a new LCG based on Warhammer that you and your friends can hop on the ground floor with. Its gameplay looks similar to Blood Bowl:Team manager, so you could pick that up in the meantime. If you are thinking about getting something immediately, the gold standards are Netrunner and LotR, in my opinion. I also am really looking forward to Doomtown.

If I were to jump into LotR while waiting for 40k to drop, what would one recommend for 4 players getting started? Core Set + ?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Chiming in to say that Conquest is loving awesome and I may build a Chaos/Dark Elder deck.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Carteret posted:

So, how about after having played like 5 games on OCTGN, I learned TODAY that combat turns aren't fought on planets that aren't (a) the first planet or (b) have a warlord. Therefore, you can only have battle abilities on planets trigger on 3 planets MAXIMUM a turn. Vulturesrow, I think our turns will go much quicker now. lol

I've played a few games at this point and we're still feeling the rules out, so let me bounce something off you: barring some faction - specific mechanic, units deployed to a planet OTHER THAN the first planet/warlord planet will only win/lose a command struggle for that planet, right?

For instance, if we both deploy to the third planet but neither one of us deploys our warlord there, there is no combat? Only command struggle?

Also, units stay on the planet they're deployed unless retreated/bounced back, right? Units in the HQ deploy WITH the warlord? We're still hazy on some stuff.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Conquest is amazing and I'm having a blast playing as the Imperial Guard and Chaos. I'm sure the game will grow really well. I have a question about LotR, however:

Are Nightmare Packs functionally the same as their AP counterparts? When searching for The Hunt for Gollum, I find Nightmare Packs. The few Adventure Packs I found on Amazon went for like $75. What's the deal with the Nightmare Packs?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Carteret posted:

Holy poo poo do not spend $75 on an adventure pack. They may be out of stock everywhere, but FFG is good about reprinting them and there are more at the printers as we speak. Don't buy 60 cards at a %750 markup :psyduck:

I didn't. I was just saying I either didn't find them or found them at a tremendous mark-up. That tells me they're either out-of-print or a collector's item. I thought maybe the Nightmare Packs were just re-skins or re-prints. Just clarifying. Don't worry; I'm a dumb nerd with expensive hobbies but I'm not THAT dumb.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Aleator posted:

FYI, CoolStuffInc.com has all the adventure packs with a few exceptions like The Hunt for Gollum and the Steward's fear, each for $9.99. Even with shipping, you'll save a bundle if you're looking for the adventure packs that way and live in the US. 750% markup, I would probably own the first 3 adventure packs and that's it.

CSI is actually my preferred source so way ahead of you. I was going by goon recommendations for starting out and will apparently have to look elsewhere for HfG.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Well holy poo poo. Bought LotR, decided to get a feel for the game by playing a solo game. Keep in my at this moment I only have the Core Set.
I figured mono-sphere would be too weak, so I combine Spirit/Leadership and take Eowyn/Theodred/Aragorn as my heroes. I discard ten cards that affect "other players" since obviously that isn't going to help me. Cool, right? I set up "Passage Through Mirkwood" and let's loving do this...

...and get the poo poo kicked out of me. It takes me three GAMES to make it to stage 3 and unfortunately poor Aragorn can't withstand the tide of spiders. I read the rules and phases to make sure I wasn't making harder on myself and sure enough, it's just a tough game solo. At least with the starter decks, it is.

I had a lot of fun, and I will definitely pick up some APs, but drat this game can be rough. I think i'll play again without Shadow effects.

Edit - Thoughts: It's tough to make a decision whether to commit to a quest or have defenders/attackers to deal with encounters. PtM starts with a Forest Spider out, which hits pretty drat hard on the first combat round following engagement. God help me if I draw another Forest Spider/Dol Guldur Orcs on the first encounter draw. I realize that's part of the depth and strategy of the game, but Christ it's a parade of death if I draw creatures immediately.

Final Edit - Played another game, solo-Leadership. Went without Shadow effects, which probably made the game TOO easy because I absolutely steamrolled it. Made Aragorn a Steward of Gondor and took an undefended attack to boost Gloin with some resources. I ended up drawing and playing Gandalf TWICE, which was a huge boost in cards and Threat. I got lucky and drew some Locations and Treachery cards, which allowed me to flood the field with Allies. Was a much easier game, but I suspect that was due to the lack of Shadow cards. LotR is pretty awesome and I look forward to more.

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 9, 2014

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Carteret posted:

Spoilers if you haven't been keeping up with the word on the street from GenCon

AGoT 2nd Ed LCG is REALLY loving good.

Indeed it is. Had a blast playing it and i'll definitely be picking up another box.

Also, I cannot stress this enough: Blood Bowl TM is loving awesome too. I played with my friends who typically aren't really into card games and they couldn't get enough. I guess it plays a little like Conquest but has that hilarious Blood Bowl flavor and faster mechanics. I know it's not a new product or anything but if you've ever been on the fence...

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 2, 2015

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Been exploring my AGoT core and it looks like a Lannister/Targaryen splash may be effective? Maybe? Lannister dominates at Intrigue/Economy while Targaryen is Military/Power while sappung STR from opponent's cards. I'll probably have to look more into it but it seems like they shore up each other's weaknesses.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I put together a Lannister/Tyrell deck as well, focused a little more on dominating Intrigue/Power challenges with chances at multiple challenges.

Faction:
Lannister

Agenda: (1)
1x Banner of the Rose (Core Set)

Plot: (7)
1x A Clash of Kings (Core Set)
1x A Game of Thrones (Core Set)
1x A Noble Cause (Core Set)
1x Heads on Spikes (Core Set)
1x Taxation (Core Set)
1x Confiscation (Core Set)
1x Wildfire Assault (Core Set)

Character: (33)
3x Cersei Lannister (Core Set)
2x Grand Maester Pycelle (Core Set)
3x Littlefinger (Core Set)
3x Rattleshirt’s Raiders (Core Set)
2x Ser Jaime Lannister (Core Set)
2x The Queen’s Assassin (Core Set)
2x Tywin Lannister (Core Set)
2x Tyrion Lannister (Core Set)
3x Gold Cloaks (Core Set)
2x Left (Core Set)
3x Maester Lomys (Core Set)
2x Olenna’s Informant (Core Set)
2x Margaery Tyrell (Core Set)
2x Right (Core Set)

Attachment: (3)
3x Milk of the Poppy (Core Set)

Event: (12)
3x Hear Me Roar! (Core Set)
2x Tears of Lys (Core Set)
2x The Hand’s Judgment (Core Set)
2x Treachery (Core Set)
3x “The Bear and the Maiden Fair” (Core Set)

2x Casterly Rock (Core Set)
2x Lannisport (Core Set)
2x The Roseroad (Core Set)

It's only 54 cards, i'll take suggestions.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Taran_Wanderer posted:

More economy cards. Western Fiefdom/Lannisport Moneylender/The Kingsroad.

I had Moneylender and booted him out, i'll stick it back in. I gave some thought to Fiefdom as well. Thank you!

Looks like we run similar decks. I don't run Joffrey/Widow's Wail, Courtesan, SotH, and Knight of the Flower. I definitely see where they fit in though. I may dump Bear and Maiden Fair to include Joffrey for more Military. A zero-cost deck mill where I get to choose sounds pretty useful.

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 8, 2015

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

In my sleep deprived state I threw this together:

Sea Lions!

House Greyjoy / Banner of the Lion

Plots
2x Heads on Spikes (Core Set)
1x Marched to the Wall (Core Set)
1x Sneak Attack (Core Set)
1x Wildfire Assault (Core Set)
1x Rise of the Kraken (Taking the Black)

Characters
2x Littlefinger (Core Set)
2x Rattleshirt's Raiders (Core Set)
2x Alannys Greyjoy (Core Set)
3x Asha Greyjoy (Core Set)
3x Balon Greyjoy (Core Set)
1x Euron Crow's Eye (Core Set)
3x Maester Wendamyr (Core Set)
3x Theon Greyjoy (Core Set)
2x Black Wind's Crew (Core Set)
2x Iron Islands Fishmonger (Core Set)
3x Tyrion Lannister (Core Set)
2x Lannisport Moneylender (Core Set)
3x The Hound (Taking the Black)

Locations
3x Great Kraken (Core Set)
2x Iron Fleet Scout (Core Set)
1x The Seastone Chair (Taking the Black)

Attachments
3x Milk of the Poppy (Core Set)
3x Throwing Axe (Core Set)

Events
3x Put to the Sword (Core Set)
3x Tears of Lys (Core Set)
3x The Kraken's Grasp (Core Set)
2x We Do Not Sow (Core Set)
2x The Things I Do For Love (Core Set)
2x Support of the People (Taking the Black)

Charts if you like charts I guess

The idea is unopposed challenges, bonuses for unopposed challenges, and keeping as many characters off their side of the board as possible. Initiative is key; I sacrifice econ for speed so I made it up by throwing in A Noble Cause and Support of the People. Thinking about subbing out Sneak Attack for Storm of Swords, too. Also don't really like Alannys Greyjoy but I run dangerously low on Intrigue without her. I suppose I could run x3 Little Bird, but I dunno. What do you all think? I haven't had a chance to actually test it; I ran some test draws through thronesdb.com, and it drew well, but execution might not be as smooth.

Edit: Already seeing I could use Kingsroad and Salty Navigator. Probably cut the Moneylender and Raiders?

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 26, 2016

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

tijag posted:

This deck has no economy?

you can't afford to not run 3x each of the neutral economy locations and probably 2 of the GJ 0 drop limited reducer location.

Run 3x of both factions 1 drops [this will help your setups a lot and give you some claim soak.]

I count 20 cards you either CAN'T or don't want to setup [all your events, milk of the poppy and littlefinger]. I think if you play this deck it will go very poorly.

edit: a few other problems. 3x tears of lys when you aren't expecting to win lots of int challenges? 2x the things I do for love when you have a total of 5 cards in the deck that can meet the requirement of 'lannister lord or lady' to be able to play it?

I don't like storm of swords right now because everyone is running Calm and if you get stuck on your storm of swords turn with a calm then you have a sad day.

I built this deck really quickly as a response. I don't know if it's good, but it will work better I think.

Plots
1x Calling the Banners (Core Set)
1x Calm Over Westeros (Core Set)
1x Marched to the Wall (Core Set)
1x Sneak Attack (Core Set)
1x Summons (Core Set)
1x Rise of the Kraken (Taking the Black)

Characters
1x Littlefinger (Core Set)
1x Rattleshirt's Raiders (Core Set)
2x Aeron Damphair (Core Set)
3x Asha Greyjoy (Core Set)
3x Balon Greyjoy (Core Set)
2x Euron Crow's Eye (Core Set)
1x Maester Wendamyr (Core Set)
2x Theon Greyjoy (Core Set)
2x Black Wind's Crew (Core Set)
1x Drowned Men (Core Set)
3x Iron Islands Fishmonger (Core Set)
2x Salty Navigator (Core Set)
1x The Tickler (Core Set)
3x Tyrion Lannister (Core Set)
3x Lannisport Merchant (Core Set)
3x The Hound (Taking the Black)

Locations
3x The Kingsroad (Core Set)
3x The Roseroad (Core Set)
2x Great Kraken (Core Set)
3x Iron Fleet Scout (Core Set)
2x Sea Tower (Core Set)
1x The Seastone Chair (Taking the Black)

Attachment
2x Little Bird (Core Set)

Events
3x Put to the Sword (Core Set)
3x Risen from the Sea (Core Set)
3x Treachery (Core Set)

After looking at it again I at least knew I needed Kingsroad and Navigator. My bad on TidfL, I missed the Lannister icon preceding the Lord trait. Told you this was slapdash. I'll run the list and see how it goes

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

tijag posted:

I think you're meaning to say 'fishmonger' when you say navigator. The navigator is a decent chud that gives +1 initiative, but the fishmonger is your 1 drop reducer character.

Went 3-0 tonight with that deck! Didnt run into a Targ fealty deck though, thank god. Further tweaks and it should be a fun deck. First game ended up being like 15-3

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

AGoT players, how do we feel about King Robert's Warhammer? I'm trying to build a Bara fealty deck to combat a Lannister/Tyrell deck that's wrecking our LGS, and I"m at 62 cards. A 2-cost +1 STR single-use attachment doesn't look great a first glance. I like the effect if it's attached to Robert or Stannis, and it certainly fits the Kneel theme, but I'm at 62 cards and something has to be cut. Thoughts?

On second thought I might cut Lightbringer since its even more situational. Nevermind it's killer on Robert as well. Keeping this

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 6, 2016

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Cassa posted:

Oh awesome. I was watching that hive tyrant YouTube guys conquest vids, but his commentary lags just a touch and it sucks. He needs a co-comnentator too.

Speaking of conquest, played a game the other night and was destroyed. Completely under appreciated how bad my starting hand was. Drawing no units second turn, also bad.

I built a Urien deck after not playing for an entire year, took it to my local shop, and got absolutely slaughtered. I did nearly mill my opponent in one game, so there's a nice small consolation. :v:

I make a lot of the same mistakes as I do in AGoT: I lose the game in setup. I just flat out make the wrong decision. It's so frustrating.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

GrandpaPants posted:

You lost when you decided to play Urien :v:

Yeah I know, I know. Honestly it performed better than expected, but the way I distributed my units across planets totally sunk me. I think I had actually lost the game by turn 3. I just need to read articles or watch videos and try to get a better handle on the deployment phase. I end up stupidly saddling my Warlord with most of my guys and end up getting wrecked in each battle.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

It's been a couple weeks, so if i can remember the details I'll be happy to share. I faced the new Chaos Warlord, Worr, and Old One Eye. OOE was the opponent I nearly milled to death, but I made the mistake of taking the first two planets despite the fact they didn't share symbols. I blew most of my Torture cards to mill/card-deny him, and ended up with no shields. I don't remember what the unit is, but there's a Tyranid that stands after smashing a 3-cost or lower. I could be mistaken but I know it's something along those lines. This guy: http://www.conquestdb.com/en/card/08-decree-of-ruin/023-striking-ravener In the game-point planet battle, that lone 'Nid smashed all 5 guys I had deployed at that planet. My deck runs a lot of weenies and I certainly paid for it. My largest mistake was probably blowing my load on the first two planets to get a fast start. Each subsequent deployment allowed him to wreck my exhausted HQ guys, and as I said, I blew Torture cards to trigger my supports and win those first two battles.

I realize there's a lot of holes, I'll try to recall more. When I see them again, I'll ask them to recount in vivid detail how thorough their victories were :v:

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 12, 2016

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

How are we able to tell? Is it actually doing poorly?

And IDGAF about CoC being ousted for L5R. We still play at my FLGS :smug: the card art is amazing and it just seems to click with my group. Im sad there's no more, but there's so many expacs we haven't touched that there's still plenty of content to keep it fresh.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

EVGA Longoria posted:

Alright, I'm going to do something dumb. I'm getting my Conquest cards Monday. And there's a GNK Monday night. So I'm going to get my cards, sleeve up a deck and play.

What's a good, simple deck I can pick up and play with? I've played a couple rounds on OCTGN and I have a feel for the rules, just want something simple and straightforward I don't have to practice beforehand.

A Cato Sicarius Space Marine deck is both straightforward and strong. Splash in some IG and you should be set

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

EVGA Longoria posted:

Everything. Friend is dropping out because he doesn't have time for it anymore so I'm picking everything up for $90.

Thanks, any suggested lists? CardGameDB and ConquestDB don't seem to have a Hall of Fame or anything similar to make it easy to find good decks.

http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php...iking-deck-r457

Guy claims he went 7-1 with this. Its SM/Tau. Looks strong to me. CardgameDB has articles on deckbuilding, as well

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 15, 2016

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

GrandpaPants posted:

Has anyone actually used the Nocturne Ultima Storm Bolter? I think every time I see it come into play, whatever unit had it (Blood Angel Veterans) either dies or somehow gets controlled (Archon's Terror, Eldorath exhaust, etc.) until it dies. 3 resources is a lot of investment into something, vs. the 1 for Ion Rifle that has a really frightening benefit. 6 ATK Blood Angel Veterans loving suck! Similarly, I'm not sure if Iron Halo is just a consolation prize/2 shields when compared against the Tal Blade.

I'm not sure how I feel about a deck that has a bunch of cards for the explicit purpose of them being used as 2 shields, which is sorta the impression I get here. I might also throw in a couple Elite units. Firedrake Terminators seem to be the best one for Space Marines.

Yeah i'd ditch the Storm Bolters for FD Terminators for sure. Yeah they seem to be for shields since the Events are more crucial

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I'm excited about some of the future Night's Watch spoilers. Ser Aliser Thorne should help alleviate the current mil icon issue. There's a new Weapon coming out for them as well, and an awesome plot.

But gently caress, man. Lannister doesn't need anymore help

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Kingsroad/Noble Cause that bad boy Actually that's awful and you shouldn't do that with anyone not named Twyin, Jaime, or Tyrion in Lannister. Still, would be hilarious

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Not that you can't just Tears him of course, but Tywin/Jaime Mil having Renown as well? And the gold gen with deck-staple Tyrion?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Taran_Wanderer posted:

More renown is never a bad thing. If there's any faction that has the tools to keep him alive, it's Lannister. I look forward to seeing what nonsense people will pull off with him.

Im typically playing AGAINST Lannister, which dominates the local meta here. It just makes me groan

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

GrandpaPants posted:

Nobody wants to talk about the new Game of Thrones preview? https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/2/22/across-the-seven-kingdoms-1/

I guess nothing particularly superb. Robb is a bit of a Timmy card and Viserys still maintains the best flavor.

Edit: I've heard rumor that the street date for the next AGOT pack was on Thursday. It may be a "my uncle works at Nintendo" sort of thing, but.

The Stark direction with Wolves of the North and the next Chapter cycle looks to be very interesting. I might have to set NW aside and break out House Stark. As an aside, huge loving spoiler, FFG. I'm not to that point in the story yet :( AGOT spoiler if you're like me Apparently Ned dies? I don't watch the show and I'm only up to Robb-at-Lord Frey's in the first book

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

GrandpaPants posted:

I assumed that that particular plot twist reached the same pop culture level as "Aeris dies."

WHAT?!? :v:

I dunno, guess I just never ran into that particular spoiler. I was just starting to like him, too.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Runnin out of game companies its okay to give money to. Please dont betray us ffg youre all I have left

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Merauder posted:

Don't forget this, which will of course be overshadowed by the Targ plot, but makes me way more excited:

Looks like that may have some great synergy with the House Frey agenda

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Merauder posted:

I don't think so? Lords of the Crossing affects the first and third challenge you initiate, but FTW plot only affects the first challenge initiated against you. Unless I'm completely misremembering how LotC agenda works.

No you're right I misread LotC

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

JoshTheStampede posted:

You are missing something. Challenge resolution uses the mnemonic DUCK:

Determine winner (and by how much and whether it was opposed) - Warm Rain happens here
Unopposed bonus
Claim (you discard the card here)
Keywords (renown, insight, etc)

So you have no chance to lose it. That said, it's still kinda situational and there's probably not enough good dire wolves yet to make a deck that can really abuse it. It's a good card waiting for a good deck to run it in I think.

I've had it burn me more than once as I stupidly played aggressive with my NW deck :v:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I know it's not FFG, but has anyone played the new VS System? That game was hugely popular in my group of friends back in the day. I loved it and was sad it got scuttled. An LCG format sounds like it would be awesome but I haven't met anyone yet that's actually tried it.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

JoshTheStampede posted:

I haven't heard anything about the gameplay changes but I've heard complaints about printing and card quality. Which is a shame because I also was a Vs. addict back in the day.

PaybackJack posted:

Got it, didn't seem great in the one game of it I played. Cards had very little board permanency. I don't remember the game from beyond playing the video game form that came out for PC and Gameboy, but this felt like they made it more hearthstone-ish and there was less synergy with having your characters constantly generate effects and more with them hitting the board, doing their thing for a turn, and dying. Because of that, one I managed to get a character advantage my opponent had no comeback and victory snowballed.

Sad. I loved all the crazy decks people built in the old system. The game had a bad power creep issue, but for every tournament-winning JLA deck, there was that sly bastard running Kangbang, GL Willpower, or Doom In Hell. And Warpaint. poo poo that deck was amazing...

I guess they're two different games sharing the same name, but that's still kind of disappointing. Maybe it will grow into something better.

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 1, 2016

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

PaybackJack posted:

Yeah, I think I'm going to ditch this "2pcg" crap and just grab a bunch of stuff off eBay and make a few balanced decks.

I still have all of my old VS stuff. Maybe i'll get the guys together with a 12-pack and we'll see who gets pissed first :D I had a Spider-Friends/Heralds of Galactus deck that could easily lock down the board every turn until Big G visits on Turn 9. Bonus points if I get to play Silver Surfer, Harbinger of Oblivion on Turn 8

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

FFG has some spoilers for Called to Arms, the second pack after Wolves of the North:

Reserve value gonna be super important after the deluxe, it looks like. I like how plot types are really starting to become a valid strategy as well.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

The Black Stones posted:

Just an FYI. Called to Arms is a long way off. There's 2 more sets yet in the Westeroes cycle and Called to Arms in the second pack in the 5 kings cycle. Wolves of the North should actually be out this upcoming week. So these plots/agenda will not be out for about 4 months.

Oh I know, was just postin' for discussion. Luckily I don't have to tear apart my Targ fealty or Bara fealty decks yet. NW, on the other hand...

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Does anyone else think people are way overreacting to First Snow? To hear facebook/cardgamedb tell it, every single deck has been rendered unplayable by it.

My main deck right now is Tyrell Crossing knights/ladies, which everyone says is dead now, but it seems...fine? Like, just don't blow any Roses on small guys and don't Tourney for the King until after the Snow hits. It maybe slows it down a turn but Roses on Arbor Knights and early Tourney turns were greedy and risky already anyway. Now you just have to wait to be in striking distance (which in that deck is like...7-9 power away from winning) before you blow your wad.

My Targ deck obviously hates it, but I can probably just Call the Banners the next turn and put out 2/3 Dragons (Probably Rhaegal and Viserion). It sucks to essentially waste a turn to redo my setup, but it doesn't bounce Dany or Drogo or anything. It's not as bad as it seems. I imagine some decks would hate it more than others. I haven't faced it with my Bara deck but off the top of my head I can't see where it would really damage me too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Well yeah, the idea against Targ is to bounce your dragons and weenies and then win a military, so you have to kill either Dany or Drogo to claim. It makes military a bigger deal, which is fine since I was getting to the point where military challenges didn't even matter unless you could do multiples or needed a Put to the Sword or needed to make 3 challenges for Crossing or something. With no board clears and ample weenies/dupes, it was just not very impactful compared to intrigue/power.

E: but it doesn't say no saves, so you can dupe your dragons anyway, same for really important 3-drops like Margaery.

I will clutch that Dracarys dearly if I feel a FSoW coming.