Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
One thing about the LCG format that I didn't see in the op is that in order to do competitive play you usually need to buy two core sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Carteret posted:

I actively keep up with Star Wars, Netrunner, and LotR. I intend to pick up Warhammer.

Someone help me :negative:

I'm in the same boat.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

A few people at the store I play at are trying to get a LCG night going. I have 3 core sets of LOTR and Netrunner. Any good demo decks I can put together with the left over cards I have minus the 1 offs?

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Rusty Kettle posted:

White counsel is good times in four player games. Everyone makes fun of you because you are taking your time building, but within the first five rounds or so, you are handling most of it on your own.

Reminds me of a good story. I had three orcs on me. One was relatively small and had some wounds, the other two were nasty and no one wanted them. I had ents defend all three (damaging some and boosting booming end of course) and had Gandalf kill all three of them single handedly. He killed the weak one, used flames of anour + Beorn to ready and be eight attack, then one shotted one, used shadowfax to ready, then one shotted the other. Badass Wizard. I had contributed at least 7 to questing (most likely more due to faramer) , and drew a few cards previously. Everyone felt inferior.

Do you have a deck list because this sounds fun.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Unless it has the surge keyword or some other effect from the quest you draw 1 per player. So yea depending on the deck it can wiff a few times if your soloing it.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Elf friend feels like one of the most broken cards for Lord of the Rings. I had Gimli hitting for 10 damage and had range and had black arrow on him.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

mongol posted:

But how many cards did you have, how many turns did it take, and how close to death was he? The fact that it doesn't do anything on its own but give a trait doesn't make it broken.

I don't disagree but I was able to set it up on turn 1 due to drawing elf friend and rivendell bow and taking an undefend attack but me at +5 damage. Then by round 3 I had one armor on was brought down to 1 hit point. Mablung helped with the resources. This is in a 3 player game it certainly wouldn't work solo. Having played the deck only three times now I've been able to set it up each time by round 2.

frgildan fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 7, 2015

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

So I've got 3 people interested in playing melee and have 2 cores. Would it be fine to just build the pre-construction decks out of the back of the rules book?

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

So can you use cost reducers during setup? Like if your running a mono house deck.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Baron Porkface posted:

Starting with less than 3 heroes isn't really a thing, but The upcoming Grey Havens cycle will apparently support it.

Unless your doing a secrecy build then it's fine.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Just played through the newbie passage through mirkwood quest using a single-hand solo newbie leadership deck. Really loved how the leadership deck performed, managed to complete the quest by the skin of my teeth. Well, at first it was the skin of my teeth, but by the end I had a small army and I rolled right over the last quest step. Got an unlucky draw of Ungoliant Spawn really early on which rocked my guys, but I hung through. I do enjoy the tactics of the game and it plays pretty well, even if some of the mechanics are a little funny if you think about it. (Like, the guy who defends against a monster does zero damage to it? huh? You always have people fighting in pairs where one attacks and one defends... yeah right)

Gondorian Spearman do 1 damage when declared as defenders. Also Spear of the Citadel does 1 damage when the character it's attached to is declared a defender. Throw it on Boromir or Beregond and watch the small damage pile up.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I'd try and get at least 1 more unexpected courage in there. Also not sure with your card pool but do you have burning brand? If you do make room for both. There will be occasions where you might need elrond ready to defend.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

ChiTownEddie posted:

LOTR got a new FAQ! https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/2/2/counsel-from-the-loremaster/
Primary changes are a nerf to
Horn of Gondor - Character leaves play becomes Character is destroyed
Love of Tales - After a song is played add 1 resource to attached hero's pool becomes After a song is played exhaust Love of Tales to add 1 resource to attached hero's pool
Bye-bye mega resource abuses haha.

The other big change was they went back to the old way of calculating player card effect totals. such as Blood of Numenor and Gondorian Fire.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Baron Porkface posted:

Tom the Troll prevents trolls from being attacked by more than one character

If your playing with 1 core run Gimli and make sure he's charged up with damage and use Gandalf's damaging effect? Should take tom down pretty quick.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Baron Porkface posted:

Speaking of Hobbit how am I supposed to kill the trolls when I can only send one guy to attack them?

Not sure about your card pool but this will probably work. I went with 1 core and 1 ohuh

1x Aragorn (Core Set)
1x Eowyn (Core Set)
1x Gimli (Core Set)

Ally: (27)
2x Bofur (Over Hill and Under Hill)
2x Faramir (Core Set)
3x Fili (Over Hill and Under Hill)
3x Gandalf (Core Set)
2x Gondorian Spearman (Core Set)
2x Guard of the Citadel (Core Set)
2x Horseback Archer (Core Set)
3x Kili (Over Hill and Under Hill)
2x Northern Tracker (Core Set)
2x Snowbourn Scout (Core Set)
2x Veteran Axehand (Core Set)
2x Wandering Took (Core Set)

Attachment: (8)
1x Celebrian's Stone (Core Set)
2x Citadel Plate (Core Set)
2x Dwarven Axe (Core Set)
2x Steward of Gondor (Core Set)
1x Unexpected Courage (Core Set)

Event: (15)
2x A Test of Will (Core Set)
3x A Very Good Tale (Over Hill and Under Hill)
2x Dwarven Tomb (Core Set)
2x Feint (Core Set)
2x Hasty Stroke (Core Set)
2x Quick Strike (Core Set)
2x Sneak Attack (Core Set)

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

With the Gandalf ally if you give him the ring you can then sword thain him to gain resources.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I doubt it. LOTR is one of the higher selling LCG'S outside of Netrunner and I guess now Thrones. Besides they already killed COC so there's space for one more LCG on the roster.

Even if they announced the end of LOTR they still have a ton of products in the pipeline. Plus the way LOTR is setup up you can collect everything and still play it solo unlike COC or Invasion.

So you know have no fear of buying into it. It's a great game that provided me hours fun.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Star wars is way to popular to let die. Also now that FFG has been more consistent with release the game has been growing pretty steady in my meta.
The only reason SW had any issue was that FFG didn't release any content for almost a year after the first cycle finished. Now most of that was due to SW being sold to Disney.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

With COC the writing was on the wall they had announced the final faction box and no other mentions of content post that had been mentioned for months. LOTR still has 3 saga boxes the cycle that started this week and while I haven't heard about anything after it doesn't mean there's not. Star wars has this cycle the next big box already annouced. I don't see either game being killed in the next few years. Besides the important part is these games are still profitable. When Star Wars starts selling COC or Invasion numbers then we'll see.

Also it's funny like I said earlier Star Wars keeps growing in my community while Conquest is pretty much dead.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Single Tight Female posted:

Although the idea that FFG is only willing to support so many lines and therefore might kill something for L5R (as it's considered CoC died for Conquest) is possible, there's been zero indication from FFG themselves that anything will go. Even if something did, there's no way it'd be LOTR, Netrunner or AGOT - they're all big sellers. LOTR just happens to be big in a really invisible, silent way.

I want to say I doubt they'd trash Conquest so early but then I remember Diskwars and get irrationally angry. Gotta think it'd be Star Wars, but CoC was at a place in its life that it made sense to shut down. Nothing else does right now.

Warhammer Invasion was killed for Conquest. They killed COC then announced L5R like a week later.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

MisterShine posted:

One of our game stores is doing five store championships on one day so it'll be interesting to see the split between the various games

I'm doing conquest myself

Wait their having all the LCG store champions at the same time? That just seems crazy.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

MisterShine posted:

All FFG store champs at the same time. Pick netrunner, conquest, AGoT, xwing or armada.

How big is your community? Because mines pretty healthy but the split running all those games at once would be pretty brutal. That's just the LCG if you threw the miniatures in it would be cutting even deeper.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Baron Porkface posted:

Can anyone confirm if Song of wisdom actually makes someone a Lore character?

Yea and no. If you have Song of Wisdom on a hero you can use it to attach Burning Brand because it just asks for a lore character but if it asks for a printed lore icon your out of luck.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

DonnyTrump posted:

This is sad. Where was it announced?

It hasn't been and mostly likely won't be for years to come. It's one of there better selling card games and they don't have to worry about balance issues for the most part.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

So I'm looking to print some higher end proxies for my LCG's. Anyone have any suggestions for type of printer/card stock to use? I've been doing the regular paper and sticking it in with an extra card for while now and I'm tired of it.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

After 17 tries last night I finally beat Ruins of Belegost. I've come to hate that quest so much

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Fat Samurai posted:

Newbie LotR question: Does Unexpected Courage allow a character to attack twice, or do you assign attackers only once, and it's only after that phase that you use the ability?

You can have them attack twice. It just can't be against the same enemy.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Fat Samurai posted:

Fun.

I'm new to deckbuilding and realizing how easy is to make Gimli a mincemeat machine and other simple combos is very rewarding.

I had a deck where it was just Citadel plate elf friend and rivendell bow. He becomes a murder machine for the whole board.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Is there a particular house your interested in playing?

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Lannister is currently one of the stronger houses. Stark just got their big box so there's plenty of new cards to play around with right now. Martell just got a few nasty cards in the last two packs that have made them a thing. Greyjoy is the house everyone loves to run the banner of. Baratheon is very strong but not the top dog it used to be during early core days. What it comes down to is play style.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Azran posted:

Meanwhile, I'm certain I'd enjoy the LOTR LCG way more if it had no deckbuilding. :sigh: I just want something a bit more complex than the WHQ ACG.

Look for the packs that include the outlands trait. You can throw every Outlands card into a deck then only have to add a handful of cards and you have a viable Deck. Outlands was made for people who played the game but didn't like deck building.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

ChiTownEddie posted:

I mean...yeah...but if you put in 1% effort you can make that into a deck.
The outlands "pre-made" deck comments are about how they are a cheap, self pumping, and contained trait.
Slap sneak attack + gandalf, steward of gondor, and 2 more heroes in there and it really is ...a deck.

Also core ally Faramir. He makes questing so much easier. For heroes Elrond and Aragorn are pretty good. The Denethor that comes in the new pack might be slightly better than Aragorn.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Azran posted:

Okay, nevermind, LOTR LCG is amazing.

12 players in a single quest :allears:

Someones getting stuck with Tatics Dori. I do not envy that person.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

When Thrones was first released someone had posted 4 melee decks that could be build with 2 cores. Does anyone have an updated version with the latest card sets? I've looked around and most places just seem to be focused on joust.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

alansmithee posted:

I kinda wish I'd have waited now to pick up LotR stuff. I've recently got the first three sets, but if they're moving on to another co-op LCG I'd rather just start fresh. Also I'm kinda one of those suckers for Lovecraftian stuff (I actually have all the arckham horror board game stuff, and eldritch horror as well).

Yea but unlike agot 1st edition you can still get a ton of milage out of your LOTR cards. Also I can't see LOTR going anywhere. It still moves a ton of product and it seems every time something comes back in print it flies off the shelves. Turning off the LOTR faucet for an eldritch game seems zany as well because cthulhu based card games haven't gone so well for them before.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Literally The Worst posted:

Aw man I just found out that the next Pathfinder Adventure Path is about Cthulhus and I want that to be a card game like

Now

Arkham Horror doesn't count

Well FFG may be coming out with an answer for you.

http://www2.pic-upload.de/img/30734678/news.jpg

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Reread the text on levies and yea don't think it worth running.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Looks like they still want a pretty steep rate (~30) to get it there :(

Throw it in a padded envelope and mail it first class parcel it will cost half as much and arrive around the same time.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

If you want to go to worlds for conquest you still can. It's the only one with tickets available 7+ hours later. Then again putting anything against Thrones seems like a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I'm hoping with the announcement of this new cycle we can hear the end of the game is dying cries if only for alittle while.