Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

TheHoosier posted:

There doesn't seem to be much discussion about it, so i'm a little unsure if I want to buy Call of Cthulhu. I've always wanted to try a LCG and I have a few buddies that would love to dive in, but we're stuck between Warhammer and CoC. I personally love Cthulhu-themed games and literature, so I figured I would pick that up. Anyone want to talk me out of it before I take the dive?

I'm pretty sure that out of all of the LCGs, it had the worst reception. I haven't heard anything specific as to why that is, but I think it is surviving on theme alone. Someone here might be able to elaborate on that more. Warhammer is cancelled, but if you wait a few months, there is a new LCG based on Warhammer that you and your friends can hop on the ground floor with. Its gameplay looks similar to Blood Bowl:Team manager, so you could pick that up in the meantime. If you are thinking about getting something immediately, the gold standards are Netrunner and LotR, in my opinion. I also am really looking forward to Doomtown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
If you really want proven decks with those packs, I would recommend looking at the Beorn's Path series of articles. They discuss decks that are able to beat each quest starting with using just the core set, then adding each pack through the mirkwood cycle in sequential order.

I personally have beaten most quests with one deck that uses cards up through the next cycle. It involves using Elrond and Vilya to cheat out tons of allies, and to be honest, it gets kinda boring having one deck to rule them all. I still need to side board some cards depending on the quest from time to time, but I have been going in blind and beating the quests over 50% of the time with this spammy anti-thematic Elrond/Glorfindel/Bilbo deck. I am going to try the double-fisted approach once I get through the rest of these quests, as well as a thematic dwarf deck.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

ChiTownEddie posted:

I've done something similar, but now that I have a buddy to play with I'm switching my decks more often to silly combos/trait/thematic decks. Typically means my deck is less strong but usually more fun. Also sometimes when we lose because one or both of us is running a non-ideal deck its hilarious because we implode so fast and hard.

Yea. This is what this game is all about. I built a Hobbit deck that can win very few quests, and when they lose, they lose bad. It is hilarious to picture a bunch of hobbits sneaking around then getting immediately squashed by a troll.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Really the difference is where they are printed. If they are printed here in the US (I believe at or near their St Paul headquarters), they are in the blister packs. If they are printed overseas, they are in the standard box. This is just because of the manufacturing process involved.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Mehuyael posted:

My post got eaten somehow, so here goes again:

Hi thread. I'm planning to get LotR at some point since I want an LCG and a coop game. I got a question though. If I do get into it, will I need to double up on expansions to get a good 4-player experience or will getting 2 of the core sets be enough for that and from then on it's just one copy of each expansion?

Actually, while I'm writing, here's another question. Are there other good coop LCGs? I searched BGG and LotR was the only one I found, but I suppose they could be missing something somehow.

You should be just fine with 2 Cores and one of each expansion. Hell, if you just get 1 Core and one of each expansion, you should be able to build four decks that work well, though there are likely to be some compromises. You could even just go one cycle at a time and still be able to function. The good thing about this game is you can build a deck that knowingly skimps on one particular aspect so another deck can pick up the slack.

Only the most hardcore of the hardcore double up on expansions.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Mehuyael posted:

Alright, thanks. Can you get a 4 player game going without getting 2 core sets? Like with let's say getting a couple of expansions?

Kinda but not really. The core box only comes with tokens and threat counters for two players, but those can be easily substituted. For instance, there is an android app that can track threat for you and automatically lower it each turn. As far as the cards go, you might be a bit stretched thin as far as deck building goes, but it certainly isn't impossible.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Mehuyael posted:

Alright, I'm making my move on getting the LotR LCG. I already know to get 2 core sets for 4 player support, now are there expansions that help give the game a better first impression? A couple of those would be nice. And if they're all good to get for starters then maybe a couple that'll help make a dwarf deck since at least 2 of us here love them dwarfs.

Khazad-dum and Over Hill and Under hill contain a lot of dwarf cards, and they also have quests that do not require other expansions. Also I believe the Return to Mirkwood adventure pack has the king of the dwarves as a hero.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

inSTAALed posted:

That is a really powerful effect. Easily slots into any deck and "draws" an extra card every turn in a roundabout way. Solid stats, too.

I think it is interesting especially considering decks that use him as a hero cannot use any Gandolf ally cards, which are a staple in many decks. So I feel like they need to power him up to compensate for that. Very solid hero.

Is he the only hero? It looks like it is coming soon, so it might already be at GenCon.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

ChiTownEddie posted:

So whatcha guys think. I have Core, Mirkwood Cycle, Khazad-Dum, Dwarrowdelf Cycle, Black Riders, and both Hobbits. I recently started to play with two different people so I've been blitzing through quests and playing a ton in general. This satisfy's my requirement for buying MORE. :homebrew:
Should I get Heirs of Numenor and keep going 'in order' or just hop over to the new cycle with Voice of Isengard?

I would say keep on going in order. You are breezing through them pretty fast anyway, so you can just pick up the rest when you have completed that cycle. If you are this far into it, you'll likely end up to date eventually anyway, so there is no harm in waiting a little bit longer.

That being said, the latest adventure pack has a pretty cool quest that I like a lot.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

ChiTownEddie posted:

Are we expecting FFG to announce anything of importance for LOTR?

I believe so. There is an empty spot next to the next Saga expansion that could be something.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

mongol posted:

First, Leadership Aragorn, then Lore Aragorn, now Fellowship and Tactics Aragorn. How soon do you think before we have a Spirit Aragorn?

If we can get a Baggins Sphere Aragon we'll have a full set! :v:

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Warm Woolen Pants posted:

So I impulse bought all the LOTR LCG sets (except Hunt of Gollum and Steward's Fear, which FFG's website says will be reprinted soon) from CoolStuffInc after playing with a friend a couple of weeks ago. My problem now is where to store all these cards. I've never collected cards before, so this is all new to me. Is there a goon-approved storage solution I can just grab off the internet? Help!

Cut off the front of the adventure packs and use those for dividers. I'll take a picture later, but you'll feel like a native American using every part of the Buffalo.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Carteret posted:

But... what are you going to do when they finally go to blister packs? :ohdear:

Most likely something like what I am doing with the nightmare packs.

I have the big box things one the left with BGG dividers, and the adventure packs on the right. In the middle are my decks, tokens, and threat counters. I keep all the documentation organized in a three-ring binder, and all the nightmare packs in run of the mill deckbox with the top cut off. That just sits in my office because I split the cost of them with a co-worker and they don't travel much.

Eventually, I want to pick up one of those go7-gaming LCG boxes. I will most likely do that once I fill up the left or right column. Once that happens, I'll transfer the saga expansions to the middle and spill over the adventure packs to there.

Not pictured are the player cards. They are in a three ring binder organized by sphere and type.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I think the turn-around time would be faster as well. No longer do we need to wait the 4-6 weeks for boxes of cards to make it across the ocean. I also imagine there is a nice profit margin increase when FFG cuts out the middle man and prints everything in house. Finally, this is subjective but I think the POD cards are slightly better quality than the other ones.

I am all for the blister packs even if it messes with my organization scheme.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

GrandpaPants posted:

Zogwart just seems like a shittier Kyth to me.

I disagree. He is pumping out Snotlings at a rate 3-4 times faster than Kith if you keep him in the battle. Then with his signature stuff he is pumping them out even faster. I am looking forward to trying him out.

I haven't played much with Kith yet, but from looking at the cards it seems like Snotlings can swarm a planet twice as fast as Kymera. The loss of the Snotlings afterward is unfortunate but you exploded with Snot fiercely enough, it shouldn't matter.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

GrandpaPants posted:

Is this realistic, though? Do battles typically last more than 2 full rounds? I imagine at that point, it should be pretty obvious who is going to win, and then it's just a matter of deciding whether or not you want to bleed their units. Not to mention if a fight lasts that long, I get the feeling a Warlord would not want to be vulnerable to attacks for that long. I'm obviously not a master at this game, but it just seems to me that it's hard to do a long sustained fight with a Warlord present without putting that Warlord at risk. Although amusingly, if Zogwort gets bloodied, his Snotlings live on to fight another day, maybe.

Kith, on the other hand, is a 2/6 that puts a 2/1 into play on commitment. For no work besides committing a Warlord, you get 4 attack worth. Combined with her signature Khymeramasters and Beastmaster Wyches, you are making GBS threads out a lot of Khymera.

This is all completely moot if your opponent has area effect, obviously. One Tactical Squad Cardinis is a surprisingly effective counter for a lot of Dark Eldar...

If you played this game more than twice, you have played it more than me. However, he'll put at a minimum two Snotlings down, which (barring area effect) seems like a free 2/2 unit. Then with his magic stick one is sticking around, and his supports bring out more. It seems reasonable that you could get 5-6 out at once mid to late game relatively easily.

Edit: also orcs seems like they will have lots of cards that make them beefier, so it seems like the support units will make this deck significantly less of a glass cannon.

Rusty Kettle fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 9, 2014

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
In all board and card games, unless a rules clarification says otherwise, my house ruling is: 'if an event causes a number of sub-events to occur simultaneously without player involvement, the player who caused the first event chooses the order in which the sub-events occur'.

It is a universal house rule that covers more games than you would think. The 'without player involvement' part means that every sub-event would happen without any further actions, card plays, dice rolls, etc.

So in this case, the player would likely choose the order of events such that the cultist doesn't appear.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

omnibobb posted:

I played a game of Conquest last night and we had only one question come up.

When, during battles, can you play events and actions (like on a location card)? In two places in the rulebook it seemed to indicate these cards could only be played in between battles, but several of the cards seemed to take place during a battle.

We went that you could use them during a battle, but that was your turn. Like you couldn't use an event and attack on the same turn.

I believe those fall under the action windows that are before and after exhausting someone to attack. I think that you can play as many as you want during that time. The only thing is that if both players need to go at the same time, the initiative player goes first. This may be wrong, but it is how we are playing it.

I have a question as well. In shadowsun, you cannot use his power to place army units that can be played as attachments, with the one exception printed in the text. However, there is a tau card that makes attachments cheaper. Do that support card make army units played as attachments cheaper or does the same logic apply?

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I am having a lot of fun blasting quests with Gandalf, Elrond, and Galadriel. Feels totally OP but I recommend anyone who is up to date with lotr try it out. I am using Eagles as the ally support, but I could see using silvan, outlands or literally any other ally set that goes well together.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Lichtenstein posted:

In SUSD case in particular, I think their reasoning was literally "it's cool enough I guess, but we're too busy binging on Netrunner to bother with other LCGs".

I am getting fed up with Netrunner and this opinion, only applied to all board games, is part of the reason. I have a group of folks who are really into Netrunner, and I am getting burnt out. Getting them to play literally anything else is like pulling teeth.

Hopefully the Conquest guys have learned a few lessons from the Netrunner guys. The rules of Netrunner are turning into more of a cluster gently caress of timing windows and crazy counterintuitive twitter rulings with each pack. Is it too much to ask for an lcg with consistent language and good playtesting? Hopefully conquest will still be as strong as it is now in a few years, in this regard.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

admanb posted:

Lots of people like 40k and Conquest is probably the second-best 1v1 LCG that FFG has made. Netrunner is the best, but Netrunner is a very strange style of card game whereas Conquest is much more conventional.

I think Netrunner being the best is debatable at this point, but I may just be a crank. The wording and fiddliness of it has grown horribly worse over the last cycle. I really hope the playtesting team for Conquest is better than Netrunner. Their job is to not only test balance, but clarity and they've been doing a piss poor job.

Edit: fixed grammar

Rusty Kettle fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 17, 2015

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Been listening to the Grey Company podcast for LotR, it's really great. I've also been enjoying the hallofbeorn and talesfromthecards blogs. Any other good analytical resources for LotR LCG?

I really don't listen to any other gaming podcasts but 'cardboard of the Rings'. I wouldn't exactly call it an analytical resource, but it sure is entertaining. I recommend the 'themurder' episode.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I listened to a few of those and kind of liked it, but the episodes I listened to fell into that same gamer podcast pattern of the hosts talking about dumb news and what they did last week or whatever for waaaaaay too long. I'll try it again, but I ended up listening to the Grey Company because after reading their silly LotR quote at the beginning they pretty much get straight to the topic.

I'd agree. I listen to a whole bunch of podcasts, and like gaming. However I do not listen to gaming podcasts because there is one important thing gaming podcast hosts cannot figure out: pacing. One hour, maybe an hour and a half, once a week. No longer. Keep it moving, keep it interesting. Cardboard of the Rings certainly has issues with this, but their hosts are enduring and entertaining.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/3/5/the-great-devourer/

Get ready for the 'nids!

Can they can use neutral cards?

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Amoeba102 posted:

Since when have the Treason of Saruman card spoilers been out?

The last of them leaked in the last few days.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Amoeba102 posted:

Yeah, I just noticed them when doing deck building on cardgamedb then realised there was a filter for the set. Welp, I need to buy more cards. I have barely touched anything that isn't the Sagas beyond the core, only picking up Dead Marshes for a fast hitch and the hunt for gollum just because. In the last three days I have bought or put in orders for the rest of the Mirkwood cycle and Khazadum/dwarrowdelf. Now I need to do sneak ahead in the cycles to get Celebrimbor's secret and The Antlered crown for some Ents.

It sounds like you'll soon have most of the pieces of my favorite deck, at the moment: the white counsel! Gandalf, Elrond and Galadriel with all of the their unique attachments. Put an unexpected courage on Galadriel, shadowfax on gandalf, and light of valinor on Elrond. There is an attachment that allows you to ready a hero when they get a resource from a card effect, and sometimes I include that on Elrond so gandalfs staff can make him triple useful. I also put some threat reduction cards in there, like the zero coster that reduces the threat by 3.

Load up the deck with Ents and you'll have a party. Also a single Beorn for fun. Each of the heroes is pulling at least double duty. Galadriel keeps your threat down and allows you to draw more so you can get the attachments out quickly. Soon she'll be doing that and contributing to questing. Gandalfs pipe and Elrond's ring get your Ents out right before the refresh phase, so they'll start ready for action. Treebeard ally keeps them cheaper, so you can get at least one but mostly two Ents out per turn. Extra attachments make using Galadriel's mirror less of a threat to pull those last needed pieces (and more Ents) as you'll be likely to lose an extra staff or pipe.

Depending on the quest, you'll end up below your starting threat between Galadriel and the threat reduction cards. I also ended up decking myself, so I have more than 50 cards. I might work my way back down to that though, but it works with more.

In the end, you'll end up with Gandalf who can be used twice, Elrond who can be used three times, and Galadriel who is being used twice. You'll have 4-5 resources per turn (one additional from the staff and one from Treebeard) and an army of Ents. On top of all that, your threat will be close to, if not lower than what you started with. You can replace the Ents with any other allies if you want to use Galadriel's 'allies don't exhaust to quest' ability, but I usually forget about that.

Edit : One more thing that I don't think I emphasized enough: the sheer ridiculousness of the card draw. You are drawing at least two per turn with Galadriel. That becomes three with the mirror (with the negative loss but that rarely is a big deal). With Gandalf, all zero cost cards replace themselves afterwards if they are on top, so playing that threat reduction card or a Durin's runes from the top of the deck replaces itself with a new card. So add one for each zero cost card you play from the top (another use for the pipe), and an additional two for Durin's runes.

It isn't rare drawing 6-7 cards in a turn with this deck. Absolutely bonkers.

Rusty Kettle fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 24, 2015

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Epi Lepi posted:

That sounds like a ton of fun. I'm always at a crossroads because I want to try all sorts of different decks, but I love my main Legolas/Haldir/Celeborn Silvan deck. I play 4 player with people who all have better defenders so I generally just shoot the poo poo out of everything while absorbing a lot of our direct damage because Silvan Trackers are dope.

White counsel is good times in four player games. Everyone makes fun of you because you are taking your time building, but within the first five rounds or so, you are handling most of it on your own.

Reminds me of a good story. I had three orcs on me. One was relatively small and had some wounds, the other two were nasty and no one wanted them. I had ents defend all three (damaging some and boosting booming end of course) and had Gandalf kill all three of them single handedly. He killed the weak one, used flames of anour + Beorn to ready and be eight attack, then one shotted one, used shadowfax to ready, then one shotted the other. Badass Wizard. I had contributed at least 7 to questing (most likely more due to faramer) , and drew a few cards previously. Everyone felt inferior.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

frgildan posted:

Do you have a deck list because this sounds fun.

Not really. I tend to build by going through my binder and seeing what looks good. From the top of my head, I just started with 2x of all the essential attachements, 3x of the Ents. 1x beorn. 1x Faramir. 3x spirit threat reduction cards. 2x gandalfs big fireball. 1x bilbo to be a third pipe. 3x durin's runes.

I some of the attachments I want to see early I bump to 3, like Galadriel's mirror and readying cards, but this should get you pretty close if not over 50 cards.

Edit: also I put that side quest that lets you tutor a card. If gandalf sees it on the top of the deck, you can play it and it replaces itself instantly, so it doesn't really take up a card slot as long as gandalf plays it. And it lets you find those troublesome combo pieces early or dig up Beorn late.

Edit: At one point, I had 3x Galadriel's handmaidens in there. They help reduce threat, and are decent questers or chumps early. I took them out, but regret it.

Oh yeah, I have wardens of healing too. They pair with Elrond and keep the ents alive. You ideally want them to have one wound each for the booming ents.

This is the Homer Simpson car of Lord of the Rings decks.

Rusty Kettle fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 24, 2015

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Epi Lepi posted:

CardgameDB is fun for deck building, but I mostly use it to brainstorm the first iteration of my decks and then forget to keep it updated with any changes I end up making.

I tried it, but I got spoiled by Netrunnerdb.com and the Netrunner android app. Compared to those two, cardgamedb is trash, and I'd rather just use my binder.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

PaybackJack posted:

There is zero chance that the Conquest Deluxe with the Tyranids won't be for sale at Gencon. I can't speak to it's legality there after as to when they consider "street date" on it, they might just call that a prerelease, but you can bet your house on them having copies for sale at Gencon.

What gives you that certainty?

Edit: the reason I ask is that it is still labeled as at the printer, and it usually takes a while to ship to the states. It'll either need to be mislabeled or hurried to make it here in time.

Rusty Kettle fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 9, 2015

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
You have now secured FFG as my first stop. Really looking forward to the 'nids.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I don't quite understand what deck building will look like in GoT2. I never played 1. Those faction cards give you permission to include non loyal cards from that faction, which seems like a given. Does that mean that for some reason you cannot use loyal cards from a faction in its own deck?

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Carteret posted:

Choose a Faction. You can include all cards from that Faction in your deck, observing card limits (3 of, limit 1, etc)
(Optional) Choose an Agenda. The core set has 9 Agendas spoiled so far (Fealty, and the Banners)
-The banners allow you to take any faction other than your chosen Faction (as long as they are non-loyal) and you have to include a minimum of 12.

You can include as many Neutral cards in your deck that you want. Minimum Deck size is (probably) 60.

Fealty, aka the 3x core Agenda

You can only choose one? So if you choose Fealty, you can only use your faction's cards? Thus, as you insinuated, you'll need more than one core set to use it?

So for the GenCon tournament, I'll need to choose two factions.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Pretty much, yeah. Assuming, of course, that the distribution of cards will be similar to Conquest's, it will work much the same. They might decide to do smaller deck sizes for the tournament, but I doubt it.

In addition to what GrandpaPants posted above, this spreadsheet has all of the AGOT spoilers if it helps you make a decision on what Factions to use.

Pro: Those kinds of agendas lead to thematic decks and reward deck building within a faction. It 'punishes' banner decks as they won't have an additional ability.

Con: There will be at least one card (likely more) that are literally unplayable without buying another core. I was planning on getting three eventually anyway, but I can see how people could be upset about it.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I don't know much about Got, but it seems like kill and destroy decks would be great in a single core environment, especially with the ability to rise from the dead. So I was thinking perhaps Greyjoy and Lannister. I dunno who would be banner and who would be the main faction, but killing dudes when no one has a lot of dudes seems artificially great.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
The Tyranids are awesome and worth the wait.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Lichtenstein posted:

There is place for only one Rutibex in this town, stranger.

I was so harsh on the game from my playtesting experience, but everyone at Gencon seemed to enjoy it. I haven't heard anything negative yet, but that might just be the 'new hotness' issue. I want to play again with the actual game to see if I still think that the game sucks.

Most likely my mind won't change, but it is really perplexing.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I playtested Ashes and didn't like it. But there is nothing but praise for it since it came out. I don't know if my homemade pieces colored my experience, or the 'plaid hat can do no wrong' cult of the new folks are being too optimistic. I am likely going to pick up a copy because my name is in the rules, so I'll chime in here once that happens.

I am still upset that Plaid Hat put out a dueling wizards card game when they already have a top dueling wizards card game in a market that is full of dueling wizard card games. I don't understand it.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I got GoT2 at gencon and ebayed it for a nice profit. I don't plan on going back to it.

I think my issue is that there are too many numerically based branching decisions. These decisions give the appearance that there is one numerically superior solution for any given situation out of dozens of possibilities, which gives me a headache.

Of three dudes who can defend, which do I use? There are nine possibilities... Before factoring in saving them for defense or using them for another conflict.

Comparing this to netrunner, most of the decisions are small in 'multiplicity' but just as meaningful. Which server do I run on and when? What programs should I install?Should I rez this ice or not? Is this agenda safer in HQ vs a remote? Conquest is similar in this regard. GoT is just too 'mathy' and absent of theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Bottom Liner posted:

The theme is still fantasy and that is clear as day. If you haven't read the books or seen the show then it's at least as thematic as Netrunner or Conquest. The art and text on the cards tell you as much about the characters and cards as any other card game, and you can figure out a lot about them even having no clue about the source. The challenges are thematic as hell for a fantasy game about factions fighting for the throne, as are the kneeling and death mechanics.

For instance, the Starks all have a ton of synergy and act like a pack of wolves, because that's basically what they are. Their design and mechanics are thematic, even if you don't know them beforehand you can look through the deck, read the cards, and get that sense (as someone did last night that has never read or seen GoT).

There are two kinds of theme: theme in mechanics and theme in fluff. Both are important. Netrunner has good theme in mechanics in that the game makes the players feel like a hacker taking down a corporation. You might be able to retheme around an army storming a castle, but otherwise it's hard to imagine the any other theme matching that game. The fluff is questionable though. Why are these ice called space names? Why does this corroder wear down walls but not robots? Eventually you are just installing a general icebreaker that doesn't invoke any sort of imagery.

Conquest does both well, in my opinion. The gameplay invokes the ideas of sending armies to take key planets. The different factions and units in general tie mechanics and theme together well. There are of course examples of poor theme, but overall I think it does a better job than netrunner. Even mirror matches can make sense if you imagine two generals in the same faction going through some sort of civil war.

Game of thrones makes no sense most of the time whether or not you read the books or watched the show. Except in outcome, fighting is the same as spying is the same as politicking. What does defense against intrigue represent? "Hey Tyrion... Keep your eyes open, little finger is poking around." Are the political conflicts representing some sort of debate? Combat can invoke imagery, but it is borderline goofy like the Star wars lcg. In the end, all conflicts a poo poo ton of effort to make any sort of thematic sense out of what was going on, leading to the game boiling down to just juggling numbers and optimizing. As a result, the overall game lost any sort of narrative typically found in Netrunner or Conquest.

Oh and mirror matches make no goddamned sense no matter how hard you try. Perhaps you can have infighting within a house and there are new characters participating who behave exactly like Ned Stark or whatever, but it takes a huge stretch especially within a universe like GoT.