Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Its ok. Not great, not horrible. Basically, if I want to play a Warmachine game, Ill play Warmachine and if I want a card game I will play something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Carteret posted:

The more I read about WH:40K:C the more interested I am. Consider me optimistically excited? I'm in for the core set, at a minimum.

Between this and Doomtown, I am super stoked for card games this year!

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
The Ork preview for 40k conquest is up on FFG.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
The doomtown print and play demo is up

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Literally The Worst posted:

Necrons can be Necrons plus any other faction, Tyranids are JUST Tyranids. I want to know how they plan on introducing those cards, though, unless there's neutral cards, and unless they really plan on loading up big expacs with nids.

I could see a creation and control like big box release with just those 2 factions.

Release them with two warlord pods each and that'll match up with everyone else at the end of the Warlords cycle.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Literally The Worst posted:

Doesn't quite work, though, there's seven factions plus the two future ones.

They said that every warlord cycle pack will have a new warlord. I imagine they'd double up one.

Boom, 6 packs, 7 new warlords.

Big box with 2 new factions with 2 warlords each.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4919

Chaos preview for conquest is up.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
So you'll need 3 core sets for a full play set.

Buying multiples here will also create a lot more waste than Netrunner.

Hrmm.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Oh I'm not saying it's mandatory and I'll probably buy 2, but I've been looking online and there are a few people who say the won't play if you have to buy 3 for a full set

Edit: either way, between this and doomtown im running my budget tight this month

omnibobb fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 1, 2014

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Does anyone have advice on starting an LCG night at their store? The owners have been pushing Netrunner and for 3 weeks in a row I'm the only one who has showed up so I've taken the past couple of weeks off. Tonight the owners were bugging me about it again. I have some game store experience and I told them they have to brand it as a "non-Magic card game night" instead of Netrunner and they (the owner an his wife) need to play to get people interested.

I have more than enough to run multiple demos of Netrunner and Star Wars and will be picking up Doomtown and Warhammer 40k. They said they'd be down for playing Netrunner and have 2 store copies for demoing.

That will allow me to run 4 games of Netrunner (at least if i make less than competitive decks with my stuff), 2 of Star Wars, and 1 of Doomtown and Warhammer.

They only have OP kits for Netrunner and I'm encouraging them to buy the rest.

All said, short of just going up to people and being like "will you play star wars with me on sunday?" I dont really know what to do.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

tomdidiot posted:

I think you'd get a lot less waste - there are 222 cards in the box, but around 178 unique cards... so you're probably talking about 120 or so 1x cards in each core set - a much better deal than Netrunner where you're buyin the core set for the 10 cards that came 1x.

Well, there was plenty of 2x cards that you needed one more of. Here, if you buy 2x, you are getting 10 extra planets, 7 warlords plus their signature squads, an extra however many 2x cards, and I imagine the entire token card set would be extra.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I think it looks great. Deck building is going to be a lot fun too. I've seen a lot of bitching about the ally system "urmm the dark eldar wouldnt team up with chaos" kinda poo poo.

I've always loved the look and lore of 40k but disliked the actual game so I cant wait to jump in.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I have Netrunner and Star Wars and I will be getting Warhammer and Doomtown.

But I have been letting Star Wars slide.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

S.J. posted:

Star Wars just didn't grab me.

I can get that. I also know I'm a sucker for certain licenses.

Would you like to see my platinum trophies for the Green Lantern and X-Men games?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

SuperKlaus posted:

I like:

-the apparent great game speed as it is fixed to only go 7 rounds. While there seems to be much thinking to do, the simple fact that you start with ~7 cards and draw only ~2 a turn will probably do a lot to keep poo poo moving. As in, you can't possibly have that many things that need doing each round anyway...can you?

-that economics is fully interactive, as you apparently cannot gain increased resource generation except via command struggle that exposes units to the enemy. Most games have players manage their economic engines as their own private affairs.

-command struggle as a second dimension to a unit's worth beyond ATK/HP. I'm reminded of how Dawn of War made you capture map locations to keep resource flowing and I really appreciate how making money and fielding soldiers is the same thing.

-warlord deployment as a simultaneous bluff thing with all the attendant "well if he X to my Y then...better Z..." kind of planning, especially thanks to its major effect on command struggle and fight initiation (double bonus theme points for Guard: "well, the Commander's not around and this isn't a primary objective world. We could charge the Ork trench...or order pizza.")

-a lack of randomness in damage dealing

I fear:

-ranged attacks in particular as being goddamn annoying. Warlords can't use their special run away option until they could otherwise fight; therefore, a warlord without Ranged could get sniped to poo poo by a ranged-heavy deck. I smell degenerate strategy in the making.

-with only 7 worlds between 2 players that need 3 matches to win, color symbols best be liberally splashed about or it's going to go to tiebreaker a lot. And the tiebreaker "most recent winner is overall winner" is very unsatisfying, and also makes me sweat the possibility of some degenerate deck that purposely treads water until forcing a tie.

My fears are mostly the sort of thing that only the cardpool can prove or counter. My hopes are all based on the system itself, which is a good thing. I was just asking if anyone detected any major red flags in the game's underlying framework.

I was under the impression only the units from the first planet (which ever planet it may actually be) were the only ones to retreat and then they get distributed to where the worldlord goes on the next turn.

This could build up a large mass of units if you deploy your warlord to the 1st planet every turn after the first and assuming you win all of those planets.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Doomtown is getting a non-GenCon release of 8 Sept.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I didnt see that, but i only read the book once. Were did it say you can retreat regular units?

Edit: it's in the RRG. You can't retreat whenever you want (well not WHENEVER) like warlords, but at the end of the combat round.

Hrmm.

omnibobb fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 5, 2014

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I absolutely love Deadlands, but never got around to trying Doomtown. I feel kind of iffy about AEG's rules a lot of the time from my experience with L5R and some of their other games, moreso than FFG- enough so that I'm definitely going to wait until I hear some more reviews/see it played before I jump on board. Are there any preview copy reviews or anything floating about?

I'm on my phone so no links but if you just search "doomtown reloaded review" on youtube you'll find some.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I've been really upset that we haven't had the rest of Warhammer spoiled yet.

And then I remembered GenCon wasn't this weekend.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Best estimates (based on FFGs "on the boat" date) put release in the third week of September.

I want it now, but it's at least going to be in a separate pay check than Doomtown.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Kaddish posted:

I'll let you guys know how it is LIVE from the floor of GENCON YEEEEAAAAH

Nice!

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Full Conquest spoilers

http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/wh40kconquest/conquest.html/_/core/

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Everytime I think I'm out, they pull me back in.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9GfT4LGZU4w

Team Covenant has a Conquest demo up. I haven't watched it yet.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9GfT4LGZU4w

Team Covenant has a Conquest demo up. I haven't watched it yet.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I thought it was, hence Doomtown being an Expandable Card Game.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Any word on when Vs will be in stores?

Also, I cant freaking believe they had product at GenCon for sale with no pre-hype or fanfare.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Per a boardgamegeek thread, someone confirmed with FFG that they own all rights to "Living Card Game"/"LCG" and they have not licensed or given out use to anyone.

Poor Vs...

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Just curious, how was dude a prick?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

PaintVagrant posted:

Ok, so I got a chance to get on a device with an actual keyboard. Conquest thoughts:

3 Cores are going to be necessary for competitive play, for reasons mentioned earlier in the thread. Specifically, because when you lay out a factions available cards, 80% of them are single card only in a Core. Only 2 cars per faction have 2 copies in a core, not including the warlord's locked signature cards. This also creates a situation where you end up with a shitload of extra unusable warlord cards, and 6+ copies of cards of a type. I am not super happy with this, but it feels like an acceptable tradeoff for a game that comes with such a huge variety of factions and cards in the base set. It is just more of your money early :v:

Runaway winner only seems to be an issue with newer players. If one player understands how to win the command phase convincingly, and do so early, and the other player fumbles around or makes a few bad decisions...it's over. But in my experience, 2 players who had some games under their belt rarely had this issue. The only way I can see an early scoop is if you get no/low units in your first hand, mulligan it, and end up with the same in your second hand. The issue being that units are 95% of the economy in this game, as well as the path to your win conditions. Being dealt early hands with few units can put you in a doom spiral for sure, as you will not be able to grab the high-draw planets to fix your problem. I never had it happen to me, but I suppose its possible. I did have a game where I went down 2 planets, had a hand with no units and no draws from command phase...and ended up winning the game. This goes into my next point, which is...

Planet icon order is loving huge. If you see a table where there is not a "win first 3 planets to win" situation, or you can look at the combination of colors and see that some are not as high priority, use that to your advantage! It is good play to skip a 1st planet that you can afford to give up while you win some command battles, especially if the initiative is flipping over to you next turn. Initiative can make or break your battle plan at the huge planet 1 brawls that end up happening later in the game.

Ranged and Ambush /anything that can screw with the normal order of battle, either attacking first (initiative/warlord/ranged) are very solid, but when you can throw in units as combat actions (hand of isha/space marine scouts/elysian drop dudes) you can swing a battle out of nowhere. There is an IG card that gives 3 units ranged, and it is the bane of my fuckin existence. It has singlehandedly swung a last planet battle against me in at least 3 games. Very powerful.

Shields are a great mechanic. As long as your opponent has cards, the existence of shields really starts to screw with the math of your battles. I generally found that I wanted to overkill by 1 damage if possible, because there are very few shield cards with more than 1 icon. This game has a lot of cool bluff mechanics, and this is one of them. I have skipped using shields on important things to convince my opponent that I didn't have any, then use it at the last minute to turn the battle my way.

Assassination, and causing early damage to their warlord, is very good. It is easy to create a situation where your opponent is gunshy of your first attack (initiative or ranged/etc) just taking out their warlord before they get a chance to de-commit. I feel that putting high early damage or bloodying their warlord early is an extremely smart tactic, and sometimes worth giving up a battle to do so.

So far, I have played the starter decks for every faction, I think. I have deck-built/played the following:

IG + SM - really nasty deck, straken buffs most of the marine stuff and between scouts, elysians, and that stupid "give 3 units ranged" card, I really had a lot of trouble beating this deck.

Eldar + DE - very finicky and difficult to use, but ultimately I feel it will be very powerful. I wasnt playing the various yard combos as well as I could have, which I think is the key. I mostly just put a few DE ranged units in the deck, with a few cool events.

Orks + IG - I only got a game with this deck, but it was a monster against the earlier mentioned IG/SM build. I ran enraged orks with the +3 hp equipment from IG, poo poo like that. It took a punch and then hit back crazy hard. I barely drew any units early and still won out later when I got a bunch of flash gits and goff boyz out and started rolling 1st planets.

Overall the game really clicked with me, and I am super loving pumped to dig deeper and find more gold in the base cards. It scratches the LCG deck building itch and fits a bunch of other criteria that I have not found in other LCGs, which is theme I like, games that take ~30 minutes, heavy battle theme, and unique mechanics.

Thats a lot of :words: hope someone finds it useful.

Yeah that makes me super stoked. I just don't know if I'll have the money or 3 sets between this and Doomtown.

And I'm sure no one in the store will play it :(

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
No 40K player really. We barely have any non-Magic card games at all besides Pokemon.

I'm slowly dragging people into Netrunner and it seems we will have a small Doomtown group though.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
It hasnt been announced. Best guess based off the "on the boat" date and FFGs usual timeline from that to store is third week of September.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Speaking if Doomtown, someone made a thread here. Im on my phone so no linky but its in trad games.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Everything I've seen is "at least 2"

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

S.J. posted:

Yay! :dance:

I almost feel bad that I'm more excited about this than Netrunner, but honestly I think this will have a much bigger and more active player base than Netrunner in my local area.

It totes will in my area. I've been trying to demo Netrunner and no one cares, but there is a HUGE warhammer group at the store many of whom are very interested in the card game.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Somebody did the math (earlier in this thread I believe) and a 3rd Conquest nets you something like 72 nonredundant cards. The 3rd Netrunner gives you 11.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Is anyone here from Southeast Florida by chance?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I played a game of Conquest last night and we had only one question come up.

When, during battles, can you play events and actions (like on a location card)? In two places in the rulebook it seemed to indicate these cards could only be played in between battles, but several of the cards seemed to take place during a battle.

We went that you could use them during a battle, but that was your turn. Like you couldn't use an event and attack on the same turn.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Ok. I was looking at the "combat phase" sequence in the rules reference guide. If I would've turned to page I would've seen the "battle resolution" sequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
We played an Orc starter versus a Dark Eldar starter. It seemed that the orcs way overpowered the de. Is that because of using a single core set or just bad draw on de? I was pulling out tons of dudes and he could pick off one every now and then but it was just a green tidal wave swamping over them.