Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Does the Lord of the Rings LCG do the same thing as Netrunner and stick you with 1-2 copies of clutch cards so you have to buy multiple core sets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Evil Badman posted:

Has anyone played Warmachine/Hordes High Command? It's like the weird child of a deckbuilder in its gameplay with an LGS (expansions are a specific allotment).

It's a mediocre game in a bloated genre, so I'd pass.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Haven't really looked at conquest, maybe tomorrow
I do have a doomtown premium set though. And after today's Netrunner tournament, I have 2 alt art Noise. So, It's been pretty great for LCG's so far. Even if I did wait for over 3 hours to be in front of the line for nom VIGs

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Played Conquest today. The FFG demo dude was a prick, bit the game has some promise. I don't think it will dethrone Netrunner any time soon, but I think it is worth a look. I'm still salty about needing 3 cores. 2 would be perfectly reasonable, but 3 is such a kick in the dick. I wish I had a chance to see more of the factions to get an idea of their play styles.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

S.J. posted:

Why do you need 3, exactly? Like, you need 3 for full playsets of everything or you think you'll need 3 core sets if you want to be able to play at all competitively?

It's unclear, but I want to have the option to build any competitive deck, and as others have pointed out in Netrunner the SanSans are important as 3 ofs in some decks. When the game was younger the consoles were also pretty important. I imagine Conquest will be the same. If the one ofs are all garbage, then few people will buy more than two, and they clearly want competitive players to buy 3.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

S.J. posted:

I know, I play Netrunner competitively and I stay away from San San builds because I never bought a 3rd core set. It's not as though you can't play the game competitively without that one card, there are plenty of competitive Corps decks out there - I'm asking more about how wide spread the 'I need three of this one of card' problem would be among the factions. If it something that ever faction has a problem with, that's definitely an issue.

I haven't seen all the cards. I imagine it will be most pronounced for the first few months as the card pool will be small, so even a moderately good 1 of will be a pretty important card for a lot of decks.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

SuperKlaus posted:

Mmmmhmmm. I'm not into the nids or crons but I do wish FFG would clarify their plans for those factions some more. For all that I've been posting and theorydeckbuilding I too might not actually buy this game until a few months post-release have given it time to be studied. Have some real gripes from listening to Netrunner hype that I don't wanna repeat.

What didn't you like about Netrunner because it feels like a way stronger game to me. Not that Conquest might not be solid, but I wouldn't consider it on the same tier.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Yeah the game certainly plays fast. I don't know if it would slow down more if you played more and felt you needed to go into the tank, but I doubt it. It's a lot more viable as a lunch break game than Netrunner.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

SuperKlaus posted:

Hey easy there. Nothing was meant by that. I said I still find joy in Netrunner. "Boy howdy [sarcasm]" could be taken as condescension too ya know. Let's agree to assume we are mutually speaking with good intentions.

A list-making game is one where you get to put together the assets you'll use in the game ahead of time, customizing your deck or whatever and choosing a limited number of a wide number of options. As opposed to a game like Eclipse, where you do get to pick a faction but it's all prepackaged and not open to tinkering. You make lists, like what minis games players call their armies. X-Wing does it, Netrunner does it, Conquest is doing it. I have played and enjoyed the first two. Complaints about them exist but don't really have a lot to do with the fact that you make lists.

My only statement was that I read hype posts about ANR that claimed list-making a.k.a. deck-building didn't significantly affect who won the game, and that's pretty well an impossibility for any game that lets you make those pre-game decisions, and therefore I take that experience with ANR's release as a reminder to give game reviewers some time to settle down and think before I really trust their reviews. We cool here?

Obviously awful lists exist, but the argument about Netrunner has often been that it allows for a high diversity of potentially successful lists. Tournament results seem to bear this out and even decks that are billed as wildly over represented are usually a minority of the field, and even then, deck-to-deck there is a lot of variance. Compared to Magic, Netrunner seems to offer tournaments with much more variability. When I played Magic competitively (the past 6 years to this April), Standard usually had 2-3 really viable decks and the lists were nearly identical with sideboards being the main source of variation. Even eternal formats like Legacy had pretty stock lists - like if I played against a BUG deck or a Devler deck, I could probably write out their maindeck from memory and get somewhere in neighborhood of 56-60 cards out of 60 correct.

When I played Netrunner at GenCon I only ran into one Andy (who I feel like people say is really overplayed) in 7 rounds, and while I played against 3 different HB core identities, all three were fairly different from each other, and all 3 were different from my own HB core identity deck. Games with deck/army building are probably more skill-intensive on average than a standard board game because you have to essentially start playing the game before you get to the table and give at least some consideration to the meta. But, deckbuilding/tweaking IS a player skill. If it's not one you like, that's totally fine, but it doesn't make people who say these games have a high skill cap wrong.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

omnibobb posted:

Speaking if Doomtown, someone made a thread here. Im on my phone so no linky but its in trad games.

Here you go http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3658929

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
So what's the deal with AGoT 2nd ed? Is the first ed. dead? Are the two both going to be supported? The only reason I never started the original is because I was so far behind, but if we're starting over, I'm interested.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Chill la Chill posted:

I wish the cardboard barons at the magic thread had more of this attitude.

There's a lot difference between a couple hundred bucks and a many thousands. When I sold my Magic collection 7-8 months ago, I made more off of it than my salary from the previous year. Magic, especially eternal Magic, is a very real investment (buying legacy staples 8 years ago would have been a much better move on average than investing in the stock market). FFG's LCGs are an entirely different animal in terms of how much they cost.

Abolishing Magic's reserve list without a VERY gradual multi-year plan would be a debacle. FFG's model is way more consumer friendly, and I think if you're getting into card games you're insane to pick Magic over Netrunner; however, you're comparing apples to oranges when you're talking about the games from a financial perspective.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

omnibobb posted:

Conquest core sets are miniature markets deal of the day. 20 bucks each.

It's probably good that I didn't see that in time to buy 3.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

MisterShine posted:

Really surprised they went with gencon instead of right now, what with the premiere

Do a big splash at gencon but surely the buzz is right now?

I doubt they're going to rope in a huge swath of the show crowd. Also they've releases a lot(all?) of other LCGs at GenCon

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
How far in advance of GenCon do you think it'll be before we get a full GoT2 spoiler and pdf rulebook? I signed up for the single box tournament and I'm excited about brewing.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Any idea which Conquest producers will be out pre-Gen Con? I'm seeing conflicting dates on the first deluxe box and first pack of the second cycle.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
That's going to make nationals interesting if it pops up at GenCon

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

nyxnyxnyx posted:

I never played GoT1 and only have a rudimentary understanding of the rules. Of the houses previewed so far, Night's Watch seems the most interesting / strong to me. Is that right? How do you gauge power level?

Well, it would be easier once we have a sense of what the full card pool will be. I'm not sure what will be good out of the bot. I've only really been analyzing the cards from the prospective of the GenCon tournament which is limited to a single core set, so play sets won't be a thing, which will skew it dramatically. Everyone has something interesting, but it's too hard to tell what will be strong without a full spoiler.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

GrandpaPants posted:

So since Games Workshop seems like it is now showing (more blatant) signs of suicide, what will happen to Conquest (and probably a lot of the FFG line) if they go down?

FFG almost certainly have a contract in place for the use of the IP in Conquest. If GW were to go under, their assets (like Warhammer) would be sold to pay their debts. This shouldn't have any impact on contracts currently in place to use said IP. It could obviously affect future uses of the IP, but Conquest is likely safe.

That said I think we're a few years off GW actually being in a position where it could go under. The downill slide is going to take a while.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

plester1 posted:

GW is really weird for a corporation because they have no debt.

Well they would presumably accrue some if they were to collapse.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Devlan Mud posted:

I wish FFG would put the 'Nid expansion on the drat boat instead of showing all these previews of cards we'll get in nine months.

edit: Gorzod is amazing though, holy poo poo.

Is he actually good yet, or does he need more vehicles? I mean, at some point he'll probably be solid, but I don't know if that time is now.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

S.J. posted:

Land Raider, Leman Russ, Dreadnought, Valkyrie, Chimera. He's good enough I think.

It's really top heavy though. I'd think they need more low cost vehicles to round out the curve. Obviously, you can toss in normal orcs, but he really seems like you want to build to vehicles.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

PaybackJack posted:

The listing at the printer doesn't mean they didn't advanced an order, shove a couple boxes up the queue, so they could have some to sell at Gencon. Companies will always print off a fair bit of early copies to get to their 2nd tier playtest teams and out to reviewers. Pretty much everything sells a ton at Gencon and showing up with as many boxes as they could carry meant that they'd sell a ton. FFG has done this in the past too, heck tons of companies show up with a small supply of whatever they have coming out because they know it will sell, people love coming back from Gencon with prereleases to be smug about, and its the best time to hype that product. Hell, I'd even bet GenCon sales on this would be like 50% of the total sales they get that are at MSRP.

So yeah, unless they had a gently caress up and couldn't get the stock, I'm certain they'll have copies there for sale.

I'm torn between wishing they'd make it legal for nats and hoping they don't since we're getting pretty drat close to the actual GenCon dates.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Rusty Kettle posted:

You can only choose one? So if you choose Fealty, you can only use your faction's cards? Thus, as you insinuated, you'll need more than one core set to use it?

So for the GenCon tournament, I'll need to choose two factions.

I've also been thinking about what I want to play in the GenCon tournament, and it seems like you'll need to play a 2 faction deck. I'm kind of curious what other people are thinking is good in the GenCon format (1 core set). We still need Martell and Tyrell spoilers (though Tyrell is mostly spoiled at this point).

Thoughts so far:

Good banners to take offer strong non-loyal characters (probably unique) and a couple solid events. My thoughts so far:

Baratheon - not a great banner to take. You get the R'hollar stuff, and that's about it.
Greyjoy - Seems decent. Asha is solid, Iron Islands Fishmonger is probably a 2 of in the core set and it's ability isn't house specific, which makes it pretty drat good. Throwing Ax and Risen from the Sea are both reasonable inclusions to get you up to 12.
Lannister - Look really loving good as a banner choice. You get Jamie and Tyrion (I'm not sure if Joff is worth mention, though Widow's Wail is solid) . The Things I do for Love will certainly have utility in the 1 core format.
Martell - We know the least about them so they may be better post spoiler. Dornish Paramour is solid and that's about it so far.
Night's Watch - Jon Snow isn't terribly exciting outside of a Night's Watch deck. They don't seem to offer much as a banner faction. As a main faction they suffer from this being the absolute worst format that will ever exist for Take the Black. I plan to avoid playing them in any capacity at GenCon.
Stark - Eddard as a non-loyal is a thing. If the last unrevealed plot is a war, then Vanguard of the North would trigger off about 1/3 of the plots, which is pretty decent.
Targaryen - Dracarys! isn't as exciting if Targs are your banner faction since you don't get Dany and the dragons aren't as exciting without her. Mormont seems quite good to me in that he will probably accumulate some early wins for you and then he can hang back on defense.The Unsullied are also a pretty solid unit.
Tyrrell - The other faction we don't have a spoiler post for. Margaery is great as is the Knight of Flowers. Hopefully they have some good events to round them out. The Bear and the Maiden Fair is probably actually decent in this format since no one will have more than 1 of any unique character in their deck. This could really throw a couple of their bombs on the bottom of their deck.

Right now, I think the good "ally" factions for GenCon are the Greyjoys, the Lannisters, or the Tyrells. Maybe the Martells will make it once we see some more of their cards. At the moment I'm leaning towards Targaryen with a Tyrrell banner. The Tyrell cards seem to interact well with the Targ -Str stuff. Loros + Dany seems like a really good pairing whenever it comes up, and Margaery is really strong with the Targ -Str game. You can also Handmaiden Marg to get a +6 Str boost, which should be pretty much impossible to beat.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Well, FFG released the new conquest tournament FAQ which answers the most important question:

"2015 North American Championships NOTE: Any new Warhammer 40,000: Conquest products released at Gen Con will not be legal for the 2015 North American Championships."

So, no Nids.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I'll play something +Tyrell's at GenCon in the 1x core. Right now Targs and Greyjoys are top contenders. I wish I had an idea of how many copies we'd have of which cards. With GenCon next week, it's starting to seem unlikely that we'll know before Thursday

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Do we know if the GenCon tournament will follow traditional deck construction rules? In the intro rules book they tell you to make decks with a single box out of 2 factions cards ignoring loyalty rules. I'm not sure if you can even make a large 60 deck with the deck with a single core. It seems unlikely given that they have 250 cards or less and 8 factions + neutral cards. I suppose this also alters which faction combinations are best.

You get 31 Neutrals and 20 per factions. So unless we aren't making legal decks, I assume the deck construction rules will be suspended.

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 21, 2015

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

tomdidiot posted:

Word from some testers is you can build tourney-legal 60 card decks from any faction combination out of the core box.

If that's true, its going to lead to some samey lovely decks.

20 faction cards were a given, but you'll need. It looks like factions are about 6-8 loyal cards. So if you take 12-14, you'll still need 26-28 neutrals out of 29. Plot cards are going to be about the only meaningful distinction between two similarly allied decks.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

GrandpaPants posted:

Doesn't the same thing essentially happen with any 1x Core tournament? I recall that the Conquest tournament was all SM/Tau with some representation in DE/whatever. I see the 1x tournament as more a mass preview event rather than as anything representative of the final product.

I'm also somewhat surprised that there aren't full spoilers out for this and 'nids yet, though.

Well, Netrunner had a bit more versatility out of the box, but that's what 45 card decks, fewer factions, and a larger card pool will get you

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

tomdidiot posted:

Plots make a huge difference to how the game plays. Some might say they're the most important part of the game :p

More importantly, there are also 56 possible faction combinations. I wouldn't write off the 1x core game just yet.

The issue is more the swingyness than anything. A decent amount of the non-loyal cards require faction cards as targets. Since you have no dupes, it makes it hard to use those. A card like Dothraki Sea has what 2 targets in your whole deck? I think skill will certainly matter, but it's going to be a decent amount of luck too.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
We are indeed getting alternate deck building rules https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/7/22/becoming-a-kingslayer/

Playing 2 full factions kind of turns things on their heads. I'll be looking at the options later tonight and coming here with thoughts if anyone wants to chat about potential decks.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Is anyone else reading the Kingslayer Tournament rules as allowed 50 card decks?

FFG posted:

Kingslayer Deckbuilding Rules

To build a deck for this tournament, a player selects the following:

A plot deck of seven plot cards. A second copy of a single plot card may be chosen if more than one copy of that plot card exists in the Core Set.

All of the cards from any two factions. A player’s faction choices are indicated by using the faction card from both of the chosen factions. Agenda cards, such as the Banner agendas, are not used for this event. Each of the twenty Core Set cards, both loyal and non-loyal, from both of the chosen factions must be included in the player’s deck.

A minimum of ten neutral cards. For neutral cards that appear more than three times in the Core Set, no more than three copies of the card may be included in a deck.

Plot choices, faction choices, and/or neutral card choices may be adjusted between each round of the event, as long as players are ready to begin play at the start of the next round. A player who is happy with his or her deck is not required to adjust his or her deck between rounds.

If so, I assume you should play 50 cards no matter what faction combo you're rolling with in order to maximize your odds of drawing your unique power houses

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

MisterShine posted:

So with the restriction of if a named character dies you can't play that named character again, does GoT have less use for 3-of in deck building?

Or are the good cards less the named guys and more the generic guys you can have three of in play at once?

You can use dupes to give a sort of extra life to uniques which helps mitigate the dead-guy issue.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Kingslayer Tournament thoughts:

Baratheon: Don't look particularly standout, also we don't know how many R'hollor cards they'll have as they're the faction we have the fewest spoilers for. They don't have much in the way of heavy hitter or buffing. Just Robert assuming you have a bunch of kneeling opponents. I guess you'd want to play the 2nd so you have maximum kneeling opponents. Maybe pair with Targs since they also want to go second?

Greyjoy: Seem legit. Aeron is probably a beast in a format with no dupes. A ton of stealth seems pretty useful as well. They really want to go first though, so no Targs. Maybe Lannister or Tyrell?

Lannister: Great all around faction. Plenty of solid bodies, great economy,

Martell: They're playing this longer control game, and I think the'll probably suffer from not having multiple copies of the cards that make that strategy work (Doran's Game). The Red Viper is a Beast, but without him, it seems kind of lack luster in this format.

Night's Watch: Jon is crazy strong. The Old bear may be a little harder to get value out of in a singleton format. With Castle Black and Old Bear they probably also want to go second which could pair with Baratheon or Targs, I guess.

Stark: We actually have all of their cards spoiled. Ice is on of the few reusable kill cards in the core set, and you also have Greywind. They have a little bit of card cost reduction though it's all focused on in faction cards. Very martial challenge oriented. Probably want to be going first.

Targaryen: Dany is really strong. Drogo also seems like he's packing a really powerful ability, and with Dracarys and Plaza of Punishment clearing out the chaff, you could be killing real characters pretty quickly. Solid faction.

Tyrell: Best buffing in the game. Solid attacking in Randyll Tarley and Loros. If Olenna gets in once that's a pretty solid pay off if you can drop a 4-5 cost card. In a singleton format, The Bear and the Maiden fair actually seem pretty good if you can put 2 or so strong characters on the bottom of their deck.

EDIT: Kind of thinking about Starks and Tyrells. The Starks have a lot of reusable kill, the Tyrells cover their intrigue shortcomings and can buff them enough to win the martial challenge. I 'm thinking you just try to hit them hard early in martial and winnow down their characters before closing out in the mid game.

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 24, 2015

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

MisterShine posted:

Is martell grey joy the dumbest plan possible?

Cause I really want to

It seems like bad synergy to me because Greyjoy want to go first and be aggressive and Martell seem to want to play the long game. Greyjoy ware trying to capitalize on turns 1-4 while Martell are more interested in 4-6.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Carteret posted:

Give it 4 days.

Well it's out once GenCon starts, so that's not really a spoiler control issue

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Played Greyjoy/Tyrell at GenCon and had a good time except for the last round (which I think would have put me in top 16 on breakers).

The guy I was playing flubbed his deploy - accidentally dropping the wrong pile of cards which left a single high cost dude in play. This probably would have been game if I didn't let him take it back since I would have marched him to the wall and negated his entire deployment and then Theon would have probably stopped him from ever stabilizing. So, I let him take it back. Then, later in the game, I make what is very obviously a misplay (the sort of I play this - oh wait poo poo I didn't mean that!) and he didn't let me take it back. It was a total scumbag move and cost me the game. I don't care that much about the playmat itself -I likely wouldn't have even used it. But it was a lovely note to end the day on and the guy was the biggest piece of poo poo (he was a weirdo during the match too) that I've ever encountered playing a FFG LCG.

With those gripes aside, the game looks promising. It's hard to tell how it will shake out once you actually have enough cards to construct a deck and you can start dropping dupes for protection. It's a shame I'm going to have to wait a couple months to actually play. The cores sold out while I was playing Conquest nationals so I only have a single core, which is sort of insufficient for 2 players.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Phrosphor posted:

I would have called him on it, if he is the type of player you are making out he would have totally crumbed if you confronted him on the turn. You wouldn't have even needed to have been aggressive.

So psyched for the game hitting UK shores though!

The guy was really weird and a bit older (mid to late 40's I'd guess), so I'm not sure he would have just folded. I mean, I was like "hey man, I gave you one at the beginning of the game" and that didn't get me anywhere, so I'm not sure how I would have accomplished anything without escalating things.

RE: snowballing - I think Conquest is more snowbally for sure.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

tijag posted:

Never let anyone take something back in a tournament. I've often wished I could take something back, but I don't even ask. It's not fair to have take backs. You shouldn't have let him take back up front. Unfortunately that was your biggest mistake.

It was a core set only release tournament with no money on the line, no cut for finding an actual champ, and only six rounds of swiss. It's not really a MtG Pro Tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Merauder posted:

What was actual prizing for the event? I heard they had playmats, anything else?

I think there were some tokens (targ maybe) for top 8 after swiss.