Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
So Syrio is incredible in my Lannister fealty deck, holy crap. Really plugs the hole in the deck (military) and also plays to the strengths by letting someone like Cersei have stealth. Soooo good. Three games in a row I've managed to just shut down the other player by taking 2 or more cards every turn with intrigue. I even had a powerplay first round with Wardens of the West that completely stopped a Targaryen deck in it's tracks. It feels like the most control-style deck in 2nd edition.

quote:

Control & Economy

House Lannister / Fealty

Packs: From Core Set (3) to The Road to Winterfell

Plots
1x A Game of Thrones (Core Set)
1x A Noble Cause (Core Set)
1x Filthy Accusations (Core Set)
1x Heads on Spikes (Core Set)
1x Marched to the Wall (Core Set)
1x Wildfire Assault (Core Set)
1x Wardens of the West (The Road to Winterfell)

Characters
3x Cersei Lannister (Core Set)
3x Grand Maester Pycelle (Core Set)
3x Ser Jaime Lannister (Core Set)
3x The Tickler (Core Set)
3x Tyrion Lannister (Core Set)
3x Tywin Lannister (Core Set)
3x Lannisport Moneylender (Core Set)
3x Lannisport Merchant (Core Set)
3x The Queen's Assassin (Core Set)
3x The Hound (Taking the Black)
3x Brothel Madame (The Road to Winterfell)
3x Syrio Forel (The Road to Winterfell)

Locations
3x The Kingsroad (Core Set)
3x The Roseroad (Core Set)
3x Casterly Rock (Core Set)
3x Lannisport (Core Set)

Attachment
3x Milk of the Poppy (Core Set)

Events
3x Tears of Lys (Core Set)
3x The Things I Do For Love (Core Set)
3x Treachery (Core Set)

The idea is an intrigue heavy deck that has a ton of bonuses to winning intrigue and econ to pay for the strong characters. Cersei, Queens Assassin, Tears of Lys, Wardens of the West, Casterly Rock, A Game of Thrones, and Heads on Spikes all completely demolish their hands and control the board each turn. Brothel Madame and Tyrio pay for events and buff Tywin. Tears, Milk, Filthy Accusations, The Things I do for Love all handle any threats I need to target. It's a blast.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Pretty much smash two of the factions together and split up the neutrals pretty equally and go at it. With one core set a lot of games will come down to who draws the big guys, since there's not enough consistency to build any real synergy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I remember reading that Star Wars is one of their best selling LCGs, surprisingly enough. I think a lot of people must buy it just because of the property but not actually play it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, I would totally be down for a 2.0 of the Star Wars LCG. AGoT proves they can do it well, and Star Wars is too good a license to let the card game ever die.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CaptainRightful posted:

When you guys say "kill" do you mean "stop producing" or "stop producing new content"? Because if it's the latter, I wouldn't be too upset. Now that they're up to the Grey Havens, there isn't a whole lot of untouched material left to cover.

They don't continue printing games they are no longer making content for. See the Invasion liquidation this past Christmas sale.

frgildan posted:

Also it's funny like I said earlier Star Wars keeps growing in my community while Conquest is pretty much dead.

Mark my words, Conquest will be the next LCG they kill. It won't be this year, but next.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Commander is a terrible format in all honesty, which probably explains why it's so loved by MtG players.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

tijag posted:

I don't think Conquest is currently in any danger of dying. Unless it drastically fell off GenCon and Worlds attendance for Conquest was fantastic.

That's not really an indication of the overall success though. Of course the biggest two tournaments are going to attract big numbers of all the die-hard fans. Hell, GoT 2.0 had huge numbers despite not even being out yet.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Azran posted:

Pathfinder ACG is really bad. WQ: ACG suffers from a lack of content right now, though the creators said it blew all their expectations away when it came to sales so expansions should be in the pipeline. I even like the dice mechanic, and I personally think dice has no play in a card game.

Same, it's a really strong framework for a dungeon crawl card game. I really just want more of everything right now. Being able to make a party from a lot of classes would be awesome.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

All of their games do. It's kinda lovely but understandable for time management.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fetterkey posted:

Conquest rules, I certainly hope they don't cancel it anytime soon. The Planetfall cycle has been really exciting (I think Boundless Hate was the best pack ever) and has shaken up the meta a lot, so I'm excited to see where things will go from here.

The most obvious LCG to cancel would probably be Star Wars IMO - the game is more or less an alpha version of Conquest - but I suspect the strength of the license alone means that if they did cancel SWLCG there would be another Star Wars card game waiting in the wings shortly afterwards, which doesn't really help if they're in fact trying to restrict the overall number of LCG games that they have out at a time. I haven't heard the interviews or statements alluded to earlier about this, though. Is there a source on the "we think the market is saturated and will cancel an LCG to make room for L5R" claim, or is it just speculation?

No we're just speculating what would be next. As pointed out, they already canned two to make room for Conquest and Lot5R.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fetterkey posted:

The Codex kickstarter has been progressing well and just hit the stretch goals where the Deluxe set includes the white and purple factions, for those who were speculating about this earlier.

I just noticed one of the characters is named "Jaina Stormborne" :lol: gently caress off David Sirlin, maybe kickstart some originality.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm on mobile, but Ser Gregor Clegane has been spoiled and drat :stare:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

I'm on mobile too and it ain't that hard to grab a pic or link.

Imgur doesn't work for me and I don't have the app.

What I really like about Lannister now is the ability to build heavy military or intrigue (or a mix) with the bankroll to support either really well, along with the accompanying events, etc. So many big threats and unique effects.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Taran_Wanderer posted:

I thought it had been said that Valar Morghulis itself wouldn't be coming back, but similar effects. Things like Varys, from my understanding.

That was the original statement, but this week one of the devs specifically mentioned VM being brought in to 2.0. I think as long as it stays 2/0/0/4 then it would be a great addition to the game, as it's already really hard to recover from a behind position and more removal and board wipe options are usually healthy in card games. My friends and I are going to proxy it this weekend and see how it plays out.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Put to the Sword being an almost given every time with Gregor is also A Thing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/2/19/the-pack-survives/

Preview of some new Stark cards in the big box expansion, including a Stark version of Jon. Pretty interesting sacrifice gimmick they're going with for the Starks here.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's not just references when it's that blatantly ripped.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Reminder that David Sirlin is a loving hack of a designer. Here's the chip design someone made on BGG for Dominion well before Puzzle Strike was made, he just literally ripped the layout and design 100%. This was uploaded in 2008.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

makes codex sound like somebody's fanfiction.

That's the best description of David Sirlin games I've ever read.

quote:

It's really funny watching people attack David Sirlin. I mean, seriously, it's like he kicked their loving dog or something. Here are the arguments:
It's really funny to watch people write long winded defenses of the man like he's your own flesh and blood when we point out that he's as original and creative as any number of f2p mobile games that shamelessly rip off content, and about as consumer friendly as well.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I've played the pnp Codex set. It is basically streamlined Mage Wars and if done by any other company and it didn't cost $200 dollars it would be alright. But since I've never shook the mans hand I guess I have no room to criticize his laziness or lovely business practices right?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That looks like a blast, thank you for the idea. I've been loving my Tyrell Stark Knight power rush deck, even pulled off a turn two win with it yesterday. It's pretty retarded fast if you draw right. I'll post the list when I wake up.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

They've done well with high faction counts in every other game, so I don't see them cutting it here. I never played L5R though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That is a sick card. I'm loving Martell/Crossing and those new cards will only make it better. That 6 drop will be killer too, as I don't run Red Viper in mine.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm generally gaining 3-4 power every turn thanks to icon removal for unopposed and crossing boosted power challenges. The Boneway and Doran's are just way's to seal the deal in the end. Also, The Long Plan into Counting Coppers + In Doran's Name is an incredible late game combo. Tons of gold and card draw to seal the deal or rebuild if I face a board wipe or something.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I don't even play Conquest, but that new two player mat is super cool.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Don't forget that list that went 9-0 at a store champ and got popular over the past few weeks. It's super slow, defense oriented and kind of boring to play, but they are viable.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

No, it's a fealty deck. Fealty is pretty important for helping their econ problems. It's the deck on the homepage on thronesdb.com, but the site seems to be down at the moment.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Upper Deck's components are worse than WizKids. Those cards are such poo poo printing and paper I'm almost mad I bought Legendary Alien, even at a big discount.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I don't know how I feel about the summer/winter theme being tied to plot card traits. That's such a crap shoot way to build a deck that depending on your opponent's to have ornnot have specific things. The reserve stuff is cool though, I want to see more of that kind of design.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

I don't mind the summer/winter them as long as it remains neutral. Right now Star Wars is doing and Endor theme and the Scum faction is completely ignored which is making their stuff very insular and not able to cross pollenate with the other new decks that are built around the Endor theme. It's extremely frustrating, and if the Summer/Winter thing ends up with one side being strong and the other side just being meta to it, it's going to be really bad if certain factions are able to take advantage of that more than others.

Well they balance each other out, which is actually really smart in terms of game design. And different factions will obviously lean more towards one or the other as well, which will also encourage diversity in deck building.

Deviant posted:

But it's not like the cards are bad on their own. Both of those plots seem perfectly playable, if Summer is a bit better.

This is a good point, they're pretty solid plots on their own and the agendas are probably worth it even if they only trigger the bonus effect ~50% of the time.

Also, that art on the plot cards looks out of place in this game (but still good). Are there any other cards with that style?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Some stuff from the Stark box. That 7 gold plot looks really good. Sacrifice a character when revealed, but that will have a lot of synergy with some of the new Stark cards.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

There are tons of synergies with it. Targ can run it to trigger Viserys, etc.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The only deck it affects for me is Tyrell/Stark Knights/Ladies, but as mentioned, it usually affects the opponent a lot as well. I think it's more of an alternate Wildfire than anything.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I think Lannister Lord of the Crossing is the strongest list right now, but I just picked up Wolves and am testing a Stark Fealty deck tonight.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Just watched a nasty play from a Stark/Rose deck. Catlyn and The Blackfish in play round one and a Lady Sansa's rose on Blackfish. drat. Stark Rose power rush is real.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, the guy ended up losing 3-15 against Lannister Crossing ( :lol: ) but the pieces are starting to appear for a lot of cool decks. I don't think Blackfish is really worth it quite yet, there are better options in the 6 drop spot for Stark right now and he's hurt more by milk than any of the others.

I'm having success with Tyrell Crossing Knights/Ladies power rush right now, but it's very much feast or famine. I honestly haven't touched any other board games in 4 months because my wife and I love this game so much.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, Leaping Lions is the first deck I could see being an issue. Not to mention Lannister make up 38% of tournament wins since NMG release. I believe that's much higher than Baratheon ever had during the first few months. I'm still having a ton of success with my discard control Lannister.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I don't know if I love or hate this card. It's just madness. Great for Leaping Lions but just pure gold bait vs other houses.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 14, 2016

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I don't get the purpose of 1 of's in LCGs. They seem to be the only card games where people frequently run them. I get that unique cards can be dead draws and I understand going for 2s, but singletons are just so unreliable in a 60 card deck. I play all 2s or 3s.

Bronn is definitely just straight up good. Lannisters usually have econ advantage anyways, and like you said, being in control of playing him or not skews it even more in your favor. People also underestimated Gregor, and we've seen how that turned out :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

How much replayability is there with each adventure pack for LotR?