Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The board states got complex but the game wasn't. It was a hard game to play well, but not because of rule load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CitizenKeen posted:

I feel like AGoT isn't that complex when you're a goon nerd who subscribes to the LCG thread.

But when you teach it to somebody who has only played kitchen table Magic or Pokemon, its got a lot more core mechanics.

So you've got two different hands... You've got two different kinds of discard piles... You've got three different kinds of battles with different outcomes for each. What's the difference between crests and traits? You've got roles to claim.

One of the (many) reasons Magic is so successful is that its core loop is trivial, its complexity is emergent. I can build a deck of French vanilla creatures and sorceries and teach Magic in minutes and it would be a decent game.

By comparison? Yeah, AGoT is complicated.
Explaining timing rules and the stack to a non gamer is more complicated than every LCG combined. Magic doesn't have emergent complexity, it has decades of keyworded mechanics layered on to the base game.

MtG is only simple to someone that has been playing it for decades (and even then players will frequently have rule disputes).

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 7, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

HidaO-Win posted:

and have an awesome convention game forever. Does Star Wars Unlimited fit into that space?

Star Wars Destiny is probably perfect for that, especially if you build a draft set or themaric premades.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You also don't teach someone GoT by putting them in a multiplayer game where they have to choose roles. I've taught that game to people that have never played any TCGs and it was fine. Don't underestimate people, especially if they're interested in the theme. Playing modern games does not require a special skill set or level of intelligence, only time and enthusiasm.

I don't get your pick two line of reasoning, as novel and familiar are diametrically opposed by their nature. SWU could have easily done something novel like a Force tug of war for a victory condition or alternate victory condition instead of the ole reliable "kill enemy". If you're concerned about games being familiar to ease the teach, why are you talking about new players coming in? Nothing is familiar to them, so why not do something interesting for veterans of the space.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

I played Marvel Champions the other day, a first game against Rhino and then a second against the Wrecking Crew. Seemed fun, but I'm not sure if I'm into deck construction, or hunting old expansion packs because I want to be a completionist.

How viable it is to just get a hero deck when I want to add more variety and just not bother with the LCG part?

It's probably the best for that by a mile. The game is completely playable out of the box with basically every hero, so just buy the big box campaign expansions that come with 2 heroes and 3-5 scenarios and supplement with any extra hero packs you want or scenario packs (they're generally really well designed).

There is also a great list on BGG that has premade aspects or decklists for every hero so you can assemble those as grab and go.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/278797/marvel-champions-universal-prebuilt-decks

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If you are playing a decent amount, it's really worth building the aspect "pods" I linked above, then it's just grab your hero, grab one of the aspects you want to play, shuffle, go. Adds a lot of variety to them with very little overhead or effort. I could see it being great for the kiddo too, since you can say like "do you want to play Hulk that smashes harder or Hulk that is a lot tougher" or "you can be captain america with a bunch of allies or captain america that throws his shield better" etc.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Golden Bee posted:

AI is deleterious when it takes jobs from humans, not when it’s bad aesthetically.

This isn't the full picture. It's also bad when a paid artist uses it for a big project like Kickstarter campaigns for a variety of reasons. It's still plagiarism, it gives the companies the false sense that they can get vast amounts of artwork cheaply, etc. No jobs are lost in this instance, but it still harms the entire working artist economy.

CitizenKeen posted:

Fan continuations of games are built on the premise of "I desire [thing], but you own the rights to [thing]; gently caress IP."

I also take issue with this, lumping people who want to continue supporting a game design and community with people that are ok with stealing and plagiarizing work is not fair*. Continuing game design/dev work and community support is not stealing IP. They may end up in legal trouble because companies can enforce copyright protections in vast overreaching ways, but I do not think the concept of fan projects for dead games are close to the same as people using AI art, especially something like Midjourney.

*this specific case being the exception, of course.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Golden Bee posted:

I’m speaking clearly in terms of custom content for people who already support the game system.

And judging things based on looks isn’t just a social construct, it’s a base element of animals having eyes. That Stick Figure poo poo looks so different from the original that it’s hard to comprehend it as part of the same activity. Reminds me of when they did second edition cash n’ guns and it looked absolutely terrible.

Judging things on looks is part of the critique of using AI art anyways, as the poo poo looks terrible and off if you look at it for more than 2 seconds specifically because our animal eyes are really good at picking up on things that aren't quite right, as noted on this very page by OP.

Golden Bee posted:

But I don’t think you can have theft without loss.

I gave specific instances of why AI is harmful even when no job is lost directly. Do you consider it theft when an artist traces another's work? There no loss of jobs there, an artist still got paid. Is it not loss when a company gets 500 custom art cards from an artist for 1/10th the cost of what they would have paid for 50 cards, because the artist used AI? That devalues the work for all artist and is direct material loss to say nothing of the quality of the work.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

SettingSun posted:

The AI art genie is never going back into the bottle. The tech is only going to get better with time, and the effect on the industry will be massive. It will become commonplace to utilize Midjourney et al for art when it infeasible to have a human do it. I expect smaller teams to do things like this across the industry within a few years. Bigger corps who could totally hire a bunch of artists will do it too, unless something drastic happens like the Supreme Court ruling definitively that AI generated assets cannot be protected under copywrite or something.

If consumers at large, or in this case, the very small niche community that will follow and support fan projects reject AI art it can absolutely be put out to pasture. Consumer pressure has already had a handful of prominent crowdfunding sites issue policies restricting or outright banning it.

That doesn't mean it will go away entirely of course, especially with CEOs of every industry frothing at the mouth for it, but if public sentiment starts affecting their numbers they'll have to gently caress off too (look at the Hollywood writers' guild and all the concessions they got about AI use in their contract after striking).

And yeah, "lovely thing is here and not going away" is not much of an argument. We are aware.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 20, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

FFG is a skeleton crew at this point and I have zero faith that they can handle any CCG, much less an IP as big as Star Wars. Plus Lorcana already ate their lunch.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

John Romero posted:

Lorcana is a mass market product based on a wide range of Disney IP. I’m not even sure Disney would consider them competitors

Psst: Disney also owns Star Wars

But FFG absolutely sees Ravensburger as a competitor. One of if not the largest non-asomdee competitor at that.

I actually like most of the art and the general style they're doing, but the card layout is awful. I will probably proxy some decks and try it out, we had fun with Destiny that way.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I think you're missing the point: I'm not talking about Disney seeing the games as competitors, they win either way. But FFG definitely sees it as a competitor in the same space. Lorcana blew up enough to fill any gap in the CCG market in a way that will make it hard for Unlimited to get ground. FFG want it to be mass market too, they were pushing Destiny in Target and B&N as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, FFG said this was their biggest project to date, in a way that comes off as almost desperate and like they're putting all their eggs in this basket to save what's left of the studio. They have serious plans for organized play for competitive, draft, casual, etc. I don't doubt the team is doing this all in earnest too, I just think it's going to be a tough road to plow in the current market.