Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
In a day? Or entirely?

At 6am each day you get yanked back to the Ark regardless of what you're doing. No idea what happens if you run out completely - game over and NG+, I assume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So I'm guessing I should rent this game before making any snap decisions regarding purchasing.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Hrm, so how many main story bosses have an alternate drop for when you beat after the 7th day?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Speedball posted:

So I'm guessing I should rent this game before making any snap decisions regarding purchasing.

You'll probably just want to wait for a price drop. Some of the pre-order DLC should also be on sale by then, if you're into that sort of thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

So what happens if you do run out of time?

I have not experienced it myself but what I'm told is that you restart the game with a 'soft' NG+. None of the bonus NG+ features but you carry things over.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

The character writing in this game is much, much better than both previous, as is the voice acting. The Lightning/Snow arc is particularly well-done.

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...
The demo's combat system was incredibly janky, the moves are spammable and the game way too easy. (definitely doesn't feel anywhere near as tight as Valkyrie Profile like you suggest from my experience at least)

Does it get any better after this or am I just gonna stick to playing Bravely Default some more?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Proto Cloud posted:

The demo's combat system was incredibly janky, the moves are spammable and the game way too easy. (definitely doesn't feel anywhere near as tight as Valkyrie Profile like you suggest from my experience at least)

Does it get any better after this or am I just gonna stick to playing Bravely Default some more?

The demo has you overleveled and much better equipped than the same portion in the actual game (which is to say, the first like 15 minutes of the actual game). The niblets that you two shot are actual fights, though still not particularly threatening.

I still haven't had that much time to get very far in the game yet, but the difficulty on normal mode is surprisingly high. Zomoks, gorgonopsids, and gaunts can and will kick your rear end until you learn their timings, and I imagine enemies stay pretty difficult until you get the broken setups. It's going to take me a bit to break the habits 13 and 13-2 gave me.

Murodese posted:

The character writing in this game is much, much better than both previous, as is the voice acting. The Lightning/Snow arc is particularly well-done.

I'm still not all that far in, but I agree with this. So far even the old characters seem to be written well, and Lightning herself even has some semblance of a personality, though it's not much beyond "Is pissy a lot" and contradicts her claims that she feels nothing. And I'm finding that I kind of like Lumina despite generally disliking that character type.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
There are one man bands in Lusnaan that play various pieces from the series one of them is battle on the big bridge i love this game already.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Smornstein posted:

There are one man bands in Lusnaan that play various pieces from the series one of them is battle on the big bridge i love this game already.

Yeah the random dudes scattered around playing the guitar are a nice touch. The sound is directional so it just sort of pops up when you're running past them. If you want to listen, just start a convo with someone in range so your time doesn't run.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

chumbler posted:

I'm still not all that far in, but I agree with this. So far even the old characters seem to be written well, and Lightning herself even has some semblance of a personality, though it's not much beyond "Is pissy a lot" and contradicts her claims that she feels nothing. And I'm finding that I kind of like Lumina despite generally disliking that character type.

The irony is that Lightning's voice actor is far better at expressing emotion in this (general mid-game minor) even though the character herself is unable to feel any.

e; Afro Cactuar manages somehow to be both the best and worst enemy. Also, Saber's Edge is such a good loving battle theme that I just spent an hour in the shrines fighting to listen to it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Proto Cloud posted:

In the demo you have gear that is high above the level you are at and it takes place in the first 15 minutes of the game. I compare it to the FF7/FF8 demos where you were in the opening area of the game equipped with Leviathan. The final battle system is a lot more tight although not flawless. It also is not based around long smooth combos in the same way VP is and if the OP implied that, I apologize.

I would never say it is hard but it is a game that can punish you fairly hard if you give it a chance to. Enemies hit extremely hard and there are less pure defensive stats so you can get blindsided by enemies if you give them a chance. I'd compare it to something like SMTIV in that regards although it feels a bit less feast-or-famine than that game since it has a more twitch-interactive combat system.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 14, 2014

Reive
May 21, 2009

About the difficulty, I just reached the fight with Noel and it's kicking my rear end hard, then I tried to go back to the upgrade shops and realzied the Warren isn't open until midnight so I'd literally be wasting 12 hours.. I think I may restart on easy.

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki
I remember back in the days the FFXIII thread was huge as we shared our love of killing tortoises. I wonder if I should read anything in to this thread being only two pages so far! For some reason I'm nervous about dropping $60 on this one, I'm torn.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Don't drop $60 on it. FF13-2 dropped to $20 in like 2-3 months after release.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Reive posted:

About the difficulty, I just reached the fight with Noel and it's kicking my rear end hard, then I tried to go back to the upgrade shops and realzied the Warren isn't open until midnight so I'd literally be wasting 12 hours.. I think I may restart on easy.

Go to Snow's city. I went there while waiting for the Warrens to open and some of the garbs I got there really made the game more manageable. They let me specialize schemata more so I had one the could block pretty much everyone of his attacks. You also can buy a garb there called velvet or violet bouncer that comes with blitz 2 which is crazy strong.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Did they fix (or break) the stacking of resist%? I just fought (late-game)Caius using Cyber Jumpsuit / Ghostly Hood / Guard Glove and Quiet Guardian / Preta Hood / Runic Ring and attacks did virtually full damage. I assume some of them were chaos damage, but it didn't even block the elemental ones much.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Murodese posted:

Did they fix (or break) the stacking of resist%? I just fought (late-game)Caius using Cyber Jumpsuit / Ghostly Hood / Guard Glove and Quiet Guardian / Preta Hood / Runic Ring and attacks did virtually full damage. I assume some of them were chaos damage, but it didn't even block the elemental ones much.

That certainly works. You may have been misunderstanding which damage type was which but I can absolutely confirm that those two builds work. The thing with Caius is that he switches between attack types constantly so you can't just leave one on and be invincible. You have to swap, often mid-attack. When he's in Commando form he'll still toss magic attacks in. Ravager tends to be more purely magic but he'll go in for physical attacks sometimes. I think Megaflare is entirely unlockable but I may be mistaken.

Also he can buff himself and deprotect/deshell you with Eye of Bahamut. If you are Deshelled or Deprotected you take damage from attacks even with those builds. That last thing is an easy thing to overlook. Remember that you can lessen/block status effects by guarding.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 14, 2014

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...

ImpAtom posted:

In the demo you have gear that is high above the level you are at and it takes place in the first 15 minutes of the game. I compare it to the FF7/FF8 demos where you were in the opening area of the game equipped with Leviathan. The final battle system is a lot more tight although not flawless. It also is not based around long smooth combos in the same way VP is and if the OP implied that, I apologize.

I would never say it is hard but it is a game that can punish you fairly hard if you give it a chance to. Enemies hit extremely hard and there are less pure defensive stats so you can get blindsided by enemies if you give them a chance. I'd compare it to something like SMTIV in that regards although it feels a bit less feast-or-famine than that game since it has a more twitch-interactive combat system.

Ok, cool, that doesn't sound too bad. I might give it a shot. Is it short, though? Short RPGs are a plus in my book. I don't honestly care for sprawling 100 hour "epics".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Proto Cloud posted:

Ok, cool, that doesn't sound too bad. I might give it a shot. Is it short, though? Short RPGs are a plus in my book. I don't honestly care for sprawling 100 hour "epics".

I'd say 30-35 hours is a safe bet for an 'average' time. It's fairly flexible because it depends on what you decide to do/how many sidequests you finish/ect.

There's no way you can spend 100 hours on it though. There just isn't enough content to do it even if you go through on Hard Mode after Normal Mode.

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...
Sounds like a decent run time, not bad.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Okay I just got this game today after preordering It from amazon and forgetting about it. Can't play it till later tonight and i have a couple of questions.

I know there was some preorder dlc but my copy has none. I'm assuming that the Cloud dlc was only available from preorders at GAME in the UK. Is that correct? It's not really an issue, I'm just curious.

Also, do I need to do anything special to redeem the costumes from the demo? Or are they just available once I start the game.

At any rate I'm looking forward to this. I'm hoping that the plot remains a weird mash up of ideas (even when they don't work, I find that the most entertaining part).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nyeehg posted:

Okay I just got this game today after preordering It from amazon and forgetting about it. Can't play it till later tonight and i have a couple of questions.

I know there was some preorder dlc but my copy has none. I'm assuming that the Cloud dlc was only available from preorders at GAME in the UK. Is that correct? It's not really an issue, I'm just curious.

Also, do I need to do anything special to redeem the costumes from the demo? Or are they just available once I start the game.

At any rate I'm looking forward to this. I'm hoping that the plot remains a weird mash up of ideas (even when they don't work, I find that the most entertaining part).

You need to enter the codes on PSN/XBL to redeem costumes. Once you do so they'll be available in the Barter Shop option on the menu.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

You need to enter the codes on PSN/XBL to redeem costumes. Once you do so they'll be available in the Barter Shop option on the menu.

To clarify, my issue was that I hadn't received a code. I didn't realise that amazon doesn't ship a paper insert, they just emailed a code to me. Sorry about that.

I'm still not sure about the costumes from playing the demo though. I'm guessing I link up the Facebook account I used for the demo and all is well?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I just watched a dumb review of this game that straight out proclaimed the final boss is unkillable on normal, hah. I'll assume this is lovely reviewer rhetoric as usual?

ImpAtom posted:

I guess this answers my question better.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Farming EP is stupidly easy in the Wildlands once you (minor spoilers) get the white chocobo (who you should name, either, Chocobro, or Boco, and if you don't I will find you and kill you). Having a second party member, as limited as they are, trivializes basically every encounter, and staggering the big guys that like to spawn in the northeast section of the map is a joke. I've been in Day 4 for longer than I spent in Days 1-3 combined, though technically only like seven game hours have passed. Thanks, Chronostasis!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

I just watched a dumb review of this game that straight out proclaimed the final boss is unkillable on normal, hah. I'll assume this is lovely reviewer rhetoric as usual?

Ahaha, no. Not even a little accurate. Especially since You get Ultima Weapon and Ultima Shield from a sidequest right before the final boss which is hilariously powerful. Like twice the stats of the second strongest weapon available.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

ImpAtom posted:

Ahaha, no. Not even a little accurate. Especially since You get Ultima Weapon and Ultima Shield from a sidequest right before the final boss which is hilariously powerful. Like twice the stats of the second strongest weapon available.

That reminds me, I like that the larger swords have a completely different animation set. It's just an aesthetic thing; there's no difference in timing between attacks, but I thought it was a nice touch to see Light put a little more oomph behind the giant hunk of metal I pilfered from a behemothreaver.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 14, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

SoulChicken posted:

I remember back in the days the FFXIII thread was huge as we shared our love of killing tortoises. I wonder if I should read anything in to this thread being only two pages so far! For some reason I'm nervous about dropping $60 on this one, I'm torn.

It's being sold for $40, so you'll never need to drop $60 on it. My bad, I confused with x/x2 remake.

Nyeehg posted:

To clarify, my issue was that I hadn't received a code. I didn't realise that amazon doesn't ship a paper insert, they just emailed a code to me. Sorry about that.

I'm still not sure about the costumes from playing the demo though. I'm guessing I link up the Facebook account I used for the demo and all is well?

The Demo costume, as well as any costumes you get from having a XIII or XIII-2 save show up in the Outerworld section of the Barter Shop once you get past the tutorial. The one you get for the demo is the Siegfried suit and it's not bad for early game. I suspect it will fall behind other options in a day or two though as it's not specialized enough.

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 14, 2014

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

SoulChicken posted:

The thread's like a day old; the general FF thread had a bunch of pages of LR discussion before ImpAtom caved and made this thread. Also, I imagine some people (including me) are still occupied with other games like Bravely Default.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

This game is supposed to be lackluster I hear, but given the fact I hated ff13, mostly loved ff13-2, this sounds really good.

Figures I had to go and sell off my consoles, so I suppose this ends up being a few months down the line purchase.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
God lord I don't know if they could've made this guide any more chaotic. The page I'm looking at right now cites now fewer than 5 other pages you have to flip to because none of the useful information is actually on this page, as well as requiring you to have the giant map poster unfolded and on hand.

Anyways the guide came with a 360 code for some outfit so someone can have it (are 360 codes seriously like a million characters?):

QW7XX-DHMTP-X3M34-RMHTY-HMTTZ

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Saint Freak posted:

God lord I don't know if they could've made this guide any more chaotic. The page I'm looking at right now cites now fewer than 5 other pages you have to flip to because none of the useful information is actually on this page, as well as requiring you to have the giant map poster unfolded and on hand.

Anyways the guide came with a 360 code for some outfit so someone can have it (are 360 codes seriously like a million characters?):

Grabbed the code, thanks!

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

Mine just arrived and while I haven't read it yet, this makes me sad because the guides for the first two games were among the best I've ever had for any game. The only one that's been close was probably the guide I got for Metal Gear Solid 4 when it first came out. I usually need to supplement with gamefaqs or whatever but didn't need to do that at all on XIII and XIII-2.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Am I just poo poo at working out how to fight things or did I end up somewhere I wasn't supposed to? Ended up in the Warrens on the first day and the robots and robot bugs took ages to kill and took gently caress-all damage most of the time. Did manage to pick up a Thundara and Sparkstrike and they seem pretty good, but only really used them on regular crap enemies so I don't know how much better they are. Oh, ended up with Red Mage and a bunch of good things in the Ark too.

Also, please shut the gently caress up about the stupid loving numbers Hope. Then kill yourself you stupid annoying little prick. Should have let the God-Robot murder you. Does he ever just gently caress off and let you do stuff without going on and on about inane bullshit? Or can you turn his volume off at all?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Saint Freak posted:

(are 360 codes seriously like a million characters?):

Xbox Live codes are handled by the same system that generates and manages Product Keys for Windows and every Microsoft software ever. So, yeah.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

McDragon posted:

Am I just poo poo at working out how to fight things or did I end up somewhere I wasn't supposed to? Ended up in the Warrens on the first day and the robots and robot bugs took ages to kill and took gently caress-all damage most of the time. Did manage to pick up a Thundara and Sparkstrike and they seem pretty good, but only really used them on regular crap enemies so I don't know how much better they are. Oh, ended up with Red Mage and a bunch of good things in the Ark too.

Also, please shut the gently caress up about the stupid loving numbers Hope. Then kill yourself you stupid annoying little prick. Should have let the God-Robot murder you. Does he ever just gently caress off and let you do stuff without going on and on about inane bullshit? Or can you turn his volume off at all?

They're both weak to lightning, and the robot (not the bug) will stagger instantly if you perfect time its charge. If you can't do that, spam thunder and/ or thundara, block its charges, and do physical attacks once it shoots past you. You can also do physical attacks for extra damage / stagger when it's open and charging its laser cannon. Sparkstrike is particularly good for this. Once it's staggered, do heavy physical attacks like Relentless Assault from the Siegfried suit or Slayer from the Cloud suit if you have them. One Slayer attack will do >10,000 dmg during stagger if you have the suit set up right. I don't remember the special stagger conditions of the Meonekton off the top of my head.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

McDragon posted:

Just spamming poo poo at them is largely a waste of effort and ATB gauge. I know this because I did the same poo poo. Those enemies (especially the bugs) are pretty harsh early on, but I think it's to teach you that you're relly supposed to be paying attention to stagger conditions. Unfortunately that does tend to lead to a lot of waiting around, but you can generate and maintain the stagger wave without really having to spam.

Just wait until you get to your first gaunt or zomok :unsmiggh:. I like this game's combat and how it doesn't pull its punches.

On a side note, I submitted a score for the demo but didn't get the special garb from it. Doesn't show up in the reward barter thing. It's not that big of a deal, just kind of annoying that I must have messed something up somewhere.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I've beaten two of the main quests so far and my biggest complaint is that the speed at which you can pull up your guard feels weird sometimes. Some enemies can transition to attacking really fast and I feel like there is a small delay from me hitting the button and Lighting guarding. I guess I'm just wanting the game to be more action gamey then it really is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ethiser posted:

I've beaten two of the main quests so far and my biggest complaint is that the speed at which you can pull up your guard feels weird sometimes. Some enemies can transition to attacking really fast and I feel like there is a small delay from me hitting the button and Lighting guarding. I guess I'm just wanting the game to be more action gamey then it really is.

A good trick here is that you can hold the button down while transitioning and it automatically takes place. You can even hold it beforehand. It's even possible to do it like "hold square to fire -> transition to schema with square on block -> automatically be blocking." It's also possible to set up schema which have such high resistances that they auto-guard against physical or magical attacks.

The other trick is to guard in advance. Enemies follow ATB rules as well and it can help to get a mental grasp over their 'time limits.' It slows down your attacking a little but if you can get the hang of schema-swapping in advance you actually can attack in an unbroken pattern. It looks pretty action-gamey but the game is still an RPG and enemies still have to wait their turn too. (And Slow still increases the time in which you have to act against them, making it a very useful debuff.)

McDragon posted:

There is no real 'overleveled' area in the game aside from maybe one. The Palace of Chaos in the Wildlands. For those guys, as people have recommended above, you really need to stagger them. The bug creatures take a lot of stagger when using Eerie Sound. Perhaps more important attacking them repeatedly during the first stagger gives them a ton of debuffs. The machine enemies are vulnerable to attacks when they are charging their laser and to having their Rush attacks perfect-guarded. Do that enough and their armor falls off and they become incredibly vulnerable to damage. Lightning, especially Sparkstrike, is very effective against them.

chumbler posted:

Just wait until you get to your first gaunt or zomok :unsmiggh:. I like this game's combat and how it doesn't pull its punches.

For these guys, by the way, keep in mind that there's an anti-Wind item in the graveyard and both of them depend heavily on Wind attacks. Zomak's attacks all have fairly predictable Perfect Guard window which makes them a bit easier to tank through just on pure timing.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 15, 2014

• Locked thread