Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Galeboomer posted:

Which phase is the one causing the most trouble there? I thought the third and fourth phases were annoyingly hard on the regular fight, so + scares me. Then again, I have a history of finding the final bosses of the XIII series to be really hard, aside from Orphan. :ohdear:

On NG+ he actually cycles between his 2nd and 3rd forms between broken-rear end superattacks until you make him eat 14,000,000 damage, then you fight the 4th form. Every attack is basically a 1HKO. I haven't yet found a way to stop him getting a Hypernova off. Dancing Mad is preventable though I always need to burn an Overclock. Final form is an rear end in a top hat with his fast stagger recovery and stalling-rear end attacks although Heartless Angel is now basically a freebie since it's the only attack that doesnt 1HKO you.

The problem is that he gets to keep doing the superattacks. Over and over until you rack up the damage. And the whole time you have to keep your guard up or whoops you dead.

Got Double Deity first try, like a boss. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm kind of getting annoyed at FF13-2 and I'm not even all that far, can I just put it down until later and grab LR? Gameplay-wise it looks much more like something I am into (I love shopping!!!!) and I don't really care about plot, I just don't want to be totally lost

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'd just drop it. Anything important is covered in the game. I really really disliked FFXIII-2 but enjoyed LR so YMMV.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

precision posted:

I'm kind of getting annoyed at FF13-2 and I'm not even all that far, can I just put it down until later and grab LR? Gameplay-wise it looks much more like something I am into (I love shopping!!!!) and I don't really care about plot, I just don't want to be totally lost

God's exist and they're all pant-shittingly incompetent. Also Serah is dead because of bullshit stupid god reasons. There, everything you need to know.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The only things you really miss in 13-2 are Liam O'Brien hamming it up incredibly hard and Snow Villiers, time cop.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
A YEUL WHO LIKED TO FREQUENT FYAD. A YEUL WHO COULDN'T UNDERSTAND WHY TYPE-MOON KEEPS MARKETING THE SAME GAME OVER AND OVER. A YUEL WHO DIDN'T REALLY LIKE FROZEN THAT MUCH AND WAS ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED BY THE INSANE AMOUNTS OF ELSA X ANNA INCEST LESBIAN SHIPPERS. I have known them all! They have all died, right before my very eyes!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
That wasn't funny the first time you did it and now you're on what, the seventh or eighth?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

A yeul who ran jokes into the ground.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
This is what happens, you know.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I laugh every time. gently caress the haters.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I am all the Yuel's i am the Chaos, please Savior end the torment of this running joke. Or don't because some of me loves this poo poo.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

precision posted:

Is there something specific that's annoying you? You can totally jump straight to LR, it's a much better game, but 13-2 does have its moments when it gets going.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Well, I did all the things and I finished NG+ and now I'm officially just tooling around until I get bored and move onto the next game in my list. I've settled on a setup that can reliably deal with Aeronite, Ereshkigal, and Bhunivelze+ without using items, so that's pretty neat.

What a last boss, though. Definitely worthy of capping off a NG+. I got just one question though; is there a particularly reliable way of dealing with Genethliac Hymn that doesn't involve overclocking? Without it, it seems like it's down to either using a powerful schema and getting killed by random lightning or using a tough schema and not staggering the bastard in time. It's the only piece of boss bullshit I haven't quite figured out how to reliably deal with yet.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Does anyone feel a strange character disparity in this game? It feels like this game was written by two entirely different teams. In story she's boring as gently caress and not really much of a character at all. In game though, in all the sidequests, she's actually a pretty fun character. It feels like she has an actual personality.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Nah, I act pretty differently too when I'm at work surrounded by people vs. when I'm at home plotting to murder God.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So to everybody that is into that kind of thing, there is an LP going on of this game now! Done by KFJ and the Posse of Sonic 06 and Mario Party fame! They are only one episode in right now and unfortunatly it'll be a bit before the game audio audible.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3634124

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
YES. THANK YOU GOD YES

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So since the game is on sale and I still have a little money in my wallet to burn, are any of the DLC costumes worth getting? I already have Cloud and FFX Yuna since they came with the game for me.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Artix posted:

So since the game is on sale and I still have a little money in my wallet to burn, are any of the DLC costumes worth getting? I already have Cloud and FFX Yuna since they came with the game for me.

Most of the dlc garbs and weapons/shields fall behind once you're out of the early game. FFX Yuna and the 13-1 and 13-2 costumes stay decent though, and the ultimate power or whatever they're called dlc garbs (they're the ones that look incredibly FF) are fun without being too broken. The yellow one also gives you a weapon and shield that pretty much let you turn on Lightning Must Die mode if you use them. But really just buy them if you think they look cool.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Well in that case, I guess I'll just grab the Divine Wear because jesus christ lightning what the gently caress are you wearing is that a gargoyle on your head :psyduck:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm waiting for a sale so I can buy the Moogle outfit with a clear conscience.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I'm wondering, after completing the normal game with most quests completed, Ultima garb etc., could you beat the final boss without using Aerora? Whenever I've looked up any guide for any non-Air-based enemy Aerora is almost always listed as the way to stagger and beat them. I wonder if that's why one of his forms has Air-absorbance?

Another thing I noticed when using Army of One on the final form was that he'd absorb some hits. Are some of the attacks from that ability given an element?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Squalitude posted:

I'm wondering, after completing the normal game with most quests completed, Ultima garb etc., could you beat the final boss without using Aerora? Whenever I've looked up any guide for any non-Air-based enemy Aerora is almost always listed as the way to stagger and beat them. I wonder if that's why one of his forms has Air-absorbance?

Another thing I noticed when using Army of One on the final form was that he'd absorb some hits. Are some of the attacks from that ability given an element?

Thundara is actually better for staggering than Aerora - they hit the same amount of times, but thundara doesn't have the travel time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just bumping this to avoid it dropping to the archives in the wake of the upcoming PC release.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Having recently finished the game I felt something bothering me the whole time and wanted to get it off my back. This game seriously felt like it may have been a Valkyrie Profile game at some point of development before getting turned into a FFXIII spinoff. The game systems, plot, and even some of the characters just really feel like they could have been from VP if you changed a few names. Please tell me I'm not the only one who sees this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ryoga posted:

Having recently finished the game I felt something bothering me the whole time and wanted to get it off my back. This game seriously felt like it may have been a Valkyrie Profile game at some point of development before getting turned into a FFXIII spinoff. The game systems, plot, and even some of the characters just really feel like they could have been from VP if you changed a few names. Please tell me I'm not the only one who sees this.

You're not the only one to feel that way. (I ever say so in the OP!)

Tri-Ace worked on both FFXIII-2 and Lightning Returns so I suspect that is part of the influence there. However yeah, you could have made this Lenneth Returns and not a hugely significant amount would have changed. I suspect that is part of why I'm more overtly positive towards LR instead of just "Well, it's a Final Fantasy game" despite its many many flaws. It's weird and janky but it does remind me of VP and I love VP.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

People should be positive toward this game because it is A Fun Game that generally succeeds at a lot of neat things it tries, makes Lightning an actually pretty fun character, and lets you be a pretty princess with a pumpkin for a head. People who don't like it are usually big babies about time limits or take FF too seriously.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

People should be positive toward this game because it is A Fun Game that generally succeeds at a lot of neat things it tries, makes Lightning an actually pretty fun character, and lets you be a pretty princess with a pumpkin for a head. People who don't like it are usually big babies about time limits or take FF too seriously.

Well, that too.

Pumpkinhead McGee, saviour of the world is optimal. I'm hoping the PC release had someone mod it so every character wears a pumpkin.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Having had a huge chunk of the year to digest the game and think on about it, I think I'd recommend this game to most RPG fans despite it being a FFXIII game. It's not the best game you'll ever play, but it's pretty fun. Glad a PC version is coming soon.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

ImpAtom posted:

Well, that too.

Pumpkinhead McGee, saviour of the world is optimal. I'm hoping the PC release had someone mod it so every character wears a pumpkin.

You know that what will actually happen is that someone will mod it so that everyone wears the bondage bikini. :negative:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

You know that what will actually happen is that someone will mod it so that everyone wears the bondage bikini. :negative:

If they can mod it so Sazh, Snow and Caius all are wearing it, I'll consider it worthwhile.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

If they can mod it so Sazh, Snow and Caius all are wearing it, I'll consider it worthwhile.

Why would you do that to Sazh? Hasn't that poor man suffered enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

Well, that too.

All pumpkin heads, and replace all lines of dialogue with "Meow meow, choco-chow :geno:"

• Locked thread