Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

chumbler posted:

On a side note, I submitted a score for the demo but didn't get the special garb from it. Doesn't show up in the reward barter thing. It's not that big of a deal, just kind of annoying that I must have messed something up somewhere.

Maybe try posting a picture/message thing from the pause menu as well to make sure you generated an outerworld profile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
So i have to wonder where did everyone's Eidolon's from 13 go? Lightning not having Odin i can see but Snow doesn't have Shiva from what i've seen so far.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Smornstein posted:

So i have to wonder where did everyone's Eidolon's from 13 go? Lightning not having Odin i can see but Snow doesn't have Shiva from what i've seen so far.

Eidolons were gifted by Etro and since she's gone there is nobody to re-gift them to Snow and nobody else is L'Cie. Lightning got to hang out with Odin in Valhalla because that is where the guy normally lives. A datalog in XIII-2 mentions that part.

They are addressed in the game but in a pretty weird way. Basically just "welp, Etro hosed up again" is the only sane way to summarize it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 15, 2014

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Smornstein posted:

I'm sure theres a random wall somewhere that has the cipher glyphs on them that when decoded form the poorly translated Latin message "Eidolons detracted from Lightnings Beauty - Toriyama"

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
You want to know the biggest rear end in a top hat enemy in the game? Earth Eaters. They can take one hell of a beating, and take a lot to stagger. They can also buff themselves. I hate them because they are the only enemy in the entire game to give me any sort of trouble. :mad:

Also until you stagger them the first time, they are pretty much immune to all but two debuffs.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 15, 2014

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Just wait until you go up against the second chocobo eater :stare:

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Murodese posted:

Just wait until you go up against the second chocobo eater :stare:

Already faced him. Had no real issues with it, since he was significantly easier to stagger, and wasn't resistant or immune to everything.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

DarkstarIV posted:

Already faced him. Had no real issues with it, since he was significantly easier to stagger, and wasn't resistant or immune to everything.

I'm getting ruined, his firebreath appears to be non-elemental and blows straight through guard to the tune of about 5500 damage.

e; for anyone, if/when you fight Chaos Chocobo Eater, take along remedy potions and spam the poo poo out of artemis' arrows because jesus that's a lovely fight

Murodese fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 15, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

This is giving me the same feeling I got when I first played Chrono Cross: just a sense of being overwhelmed with stuff to do and no idea where to begin.

Okay, so I'm following the dead girl quest in the first area. Followed the cult to their super sekrit meeting. I'm not seeing anyone to talk to who can shed more light on the password or glowy demonic graffiti. Should I just cut my losses and hop on the monorail like Hope suggested, or is there a plot/time trigger I'm missing?

Oxxidation posted:

After playing through the first two games and learning the end of this one, I like to think that the whole FFXIII series is just a tale of (spoilers obviously) Lightning getting increasingly fed up with how unbelievably motherfucking stupid the gods of her world are.

From what I can gather, if Etro hadn't intervened at the end of the first game, turning everyone back into humans, none of the following two games would've happened. So thanks to her, time got hosed up beyond all recognition... somehow.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

This is giving me the same feeling I got when I first played Chrono Cross: just a sense of being overwhelmed with stuff to do and no idea where to begin.

Okay, so I'm following the dead girl quest in the first area. Followed the cult to their super sekrit meeting. I'm not seeing anyone to talk to who can shed more light on the password or glowy demonic graffiti. Should I just cut my losses and hop on the monorail like Hope suggested, or is there a plot/time trigger I'm missing?

Time trigger. The numbers don't appear until daytime, so you effectively have free time until 6am that day. There's 3-4 sidequests in Luxerion that you can do while you're waiting, that are unlocked at the stage you're at. There are another 15 or so that unlock after you finish the first main quest line.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Quick question, do we get to see anything more from NORA of Alyssa or any other supporting FF13 characters? Or are they all dead since Chaos kinda took over when they were (for no proper reason) putting a new cocoon in the sky like 800 years in the future or something.

I'm still hoping to play as Chocolina at some point.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Andrew_1985 posted:

Quick question, do we get to see anything more from NORA of Alyssa or any other supporting FF13 characters? Or are they all dead since Chaos kinda took over when they were (for no proper reason) putting a new cocoon in the sky like 800 years in the future or something.

I'm still hoping to play as Chocolina at some point.

They're referenced at various points, but they don't appear from what I've seen.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Since folks are mentioning guides (and since the other FF thread appears to have vanished--where'd it go?), are 13 and 13-2 the sort of games that I'll want to get the guides for if I want to play them before I get this?

(Yes, I know about the story synopsis, I still want to play the previous games first. v:shobon:v)

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Ciaphas posted:

Since folks are mentioning guides (and since the other FF thread appears to have vanished--where'd it go?), are 13 and 13-2 the sort of games that I'll want to get the guides for if I want to play them before I get this?

(Yes, I know about the story synopsis, I still want to play the previous games first. v:shobon:v)

13 not really, though if you're aiming for 100% on 13-2 it's nice to have on hand. I grabbed the one for this game and it's kind of a mess in terms of organization, but I can appreciate them keeping normal run and optimized run strategies apart.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Ciaphas posted:

Not really. The first game is a straight A-B walk and the only subquest in the latter half of the game is a glorified join-the-dots. Maybe if you're planning on indulging in weaponcrafting, but otherwise, not really.

As for the second game, there's nothing really missable. You can freely revisit any previous point and reset it to how it was when you first got there. There's a ton more optional content, some of it annoying to access, so you might want to look up how to get to them, but if you're just planning on running through the story, its straightforward.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

When the game says I'm going to "offer Eradia" to Yggdrasil every morning, does that mean I'm supposed to save up some EP for it or does it just play out along with the story?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Tempo 119 posted:

When the game says I'm going to "offer Eradia" to Yggdrasil every morning, does that mean I'm supposed to save up some EP for it or does it just play out along with the story?

It's the souls or whatever you get after doing quests.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Huh, that was incredibly easy to get 100% damage resistance.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tempo 119 posted:

It just plays out as part of the story as long as you're doing the main quests/sidequests.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

InfinityComplex posted:

Huh, that was incredibly easy to get 100% damage resistance.

As pointed out previously, a lot of the harder bosses have deprotect/deshell that'll throw a wrench into it, but overall it's a nice addition.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I too have an xbox dlc code to give away:

WTH23-27VC7-YKWKH-QD2JG-P6R7Z

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Doge Returns

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Varance posted:

Doge Returns

Is this really in the game?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Is this really in the game?

Yes and no.

LR has a Dark Souls Lite system where other people who are playing can post things. They'll appear as NPCs in the world who have floating messages and who you can talk to in order to see the screenshot that person posted and possibly to buy an item they put up. So that is in the game but it's something someone else playing it posted, not an actual bit of NPC dialogue.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I've been playing through the game for the past three days and overall enjoying it, though the game is bitchingly hard at first. It seems as though a lot of the beginning of the game is really about gradually building up Lightning's stats by doing chores until she's strong enough to take on the main quest. I'm on day... 9 or something now, and have atleast 30 hours in the game thanks to abusing Chronostasis like a chump.

Something that irks me is that it doesn't seem as though the various schemata Lightning can find don't seem to be able to level up? I mean, you can level up the separate abilities, but the ones specifically attached to the costumes themselves aren't able to be boosted, unless I'm missing something entirely. A real pain if you're like me. I'm actively trying to stick only with costumes I like, so I've stuck with the Equilibrium costume as my main for the whole game thus far, minus a few times where I've switched to the all-around upgrade "Nocturne" garb when I reach bosses.

I've done pretty much every main story event available to me thus far, aside from Caius at the top of the Tower of Etro. I've killed probably around six Last Ones so far, and most enemies don't give me trouble... except for big ones like Cyclops and Chocobo/Earth Eaters. Hitting the sweet spot and defending from their attacks at the right times is pretty painful, and if I fail, I take a ton of damage once they've gone enraged. I'm assuming a lot of that is because I have not restarted the game through any sort of New Game+, so I'm running on the bare minimum stat fumes.

I'm definitely enjoying the game. It's much better than FFXIII since it actually feels like I'm making progress when I play the game, even if it's very slow. Even so, I'd definitely say that $60 is too much to pay. The NPCs in the game exude cheapness, just like XIII-2. As with that game, it's like even though they knew they needed to have a ton of models for the massive amount of quests they wanted to add to the games' plotlines, they didn't want to do the work to make them all interesting. Every unimportant guy in the game pretty much has the same face with barely any articulation and the same wonky emotes, just different transplanted hair. That said, the open world aspect is definitely improved, and the Wild Lands and Dead Dunes are really fun to run around.

I don't want to make it sound like I'm making GBS threads on the game. It's fun, but it's nothing incredibly special. Some things are a step backward from XIII-2, and others are a step forward. It's not a great game, but it's not a bad game. I do like the battle system a lot though, and when I don't feel as though I'm undergeared, I'm having a great time working out strategies. It's probably the game's greatest strength. I'd say it's worth a play for anyone on the fence, but not for $60 if you haven't already bought it.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Hey ImpAtom, any idea if Artemis Arrow retains upgrades from the base heavy slash used? Or does it just replace it?

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

So, I loving hated 13 and was pretty blasé about 13-2, but I am having a loving blast with Lightning Returns. I mean, poo poo, it's a totally absurd game that embraces its ridiculousness and I respect that. In some ways it reminds me of a Japanese South Park game - I mean I'm laughing out loud at absurdity pretty often. Combine that with a legitimately fun battle system, awesome towns and cool (varied, too) quest systems and I'm really happy with this game so far. It's great.

They should have realized that all they needed was an ability to put ridiculous hats on formal evening wear and have Lightning run around being totally ridiculous. It's fantastic. I highly and unironically recommend this game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Got a Cloud code for anyone who wants it on the PS3.

98K8-B6N8-2LL2

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Got a Cloud code for anyone who wants it on the PS3.

98K8-B6N8-2LL2

Redeemed it. Thanks, buddy!

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I really love those street performers. I was listening to the one in Ruffian, and I was trying to figure where it came from, because I recognized that it wasn't a FFXIII song. It took a bit of thinking before I realized it was from FF3.

Cute.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Yes and no.

LR has a Dark Souls Lite system where other people who are playing can post things. They'll appear as NPCs in the world who have floating messages and who you can talk to in order to see the screenshot that person posted and possibly to buy an item they put up. So that is in the game but it's something someone else playing it posted, not an actual bit of NPC dialogue.

I really wish these didn't take a full minute to open up, although I do appreciate all the people walking around with "this story sucks" "what is even happening" etc over their heads.

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki
So I've got to the first real boss at the end of the second day (the shadow hunter/???). I die while he is at 75%. I stagger him then hit him a lot but not much happens. I'm so bummed out, I should have played on easy. It was awesome in the last games when you staggered enemies you felt so powerful.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

SoulChicken posted:

So I've got to the first real boss at the end of the second day (the shadow hunter/???). I die while he is at 75%. I stagger him then hit him a lot but not much happens. I'm so bummed out, I should have played on easy. It was awesome in the last games when you staggered enemies you felt so powerful.

Go somewhere else, do sidequests, and suchforth. The game doesn't actually expect you to stick with one area at a time, and regular enemies in other areas are obviously weaker than bosses. Plus it'll give you a chance to get better weapons, costumes, accessories, attacks, and so on.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

SoulChicken posted:

He's weak to thunder so gear up with a bunch of those attacks (I had Sparkstrike on my physical schema, Thundara and Thunder+ on my magic schema, and a spare Thunder on my defensive schema to keep the chain going when I wasn't guarding). There's a monster in the graveyard that drops Deshell so maybe grab that too.

He's only got a few attacks and he telegraphs them like crazy - keep your distance and try to learn the timing on at least one of his moves for a perfect-guard.

Check the stagger conditions in his notes, where it says "do [x] during the first stagger" it means you can double-stagger him to get the old-style "flopped on the ground, launchable, big yellow numbers everywhere, you've basically won at this point" stagger effect. It even changes the music, it's great.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I didn't even do the Luxerion main quest first. Once I unlocked the last part of the Warren, I ended up just bumming around Yusnaan and doing its story. Yusnaan's story is awesome, by the way. Pretty much everything about Yusnaan is awesome, particularly the music. God drat, it's upbeat.

Yusnaan main quest spoilers: Our tough battle warrior has to play dress-up in a production in order to unlock the way to her real target? Celes would be proud. Definitely had a big grin on my face during this whole schtick. Hell, I'm still using this garb in my third slot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Grimace posted:

Something that irks me is that it doesn't seem as though the various schemata Lightning can find don't seem to be able to level up? I mean, you can level up the separate abilities, but the ones specifically attached to the costumes themselves aren't able to be boosted, unless I'm missing something entirely. A real pain if you're like me. I'm actively trying to stick only with costumes I like, so I've stuck with the Equilibrium costume as my main for the whole game thus far, minus a few times where I've switched to the all-around upgrade "Nocturne" garb when I reach bosses.

Certain Schema can upgrade but most are locked to what they are. Several kinds of upgrade things are locked until NG+. (For example you upgrade accessories to improved versions by finding them in a second playthrough.) The lowest-level Schema in the game (those you start with, for example) will get plot-related upgrades later in the game. Equilibrium is one of those Garbs. It gets Attack Level 4, ATB Recovery Plus and +30 Maximum ATB.

Otherwise however you can use whatever Schema you like. A lot of the Schema are balanced around the idea that their passive or unique abilities balance out weaker basic abilities, or that they have a unique powerful ability to balance out weaker schema attributes. There are a few which just get outclassed, unfortunately, but I don't believe any gets outclassed to the point you can't use it because you like it. I was using early-game stuff at the final boss just because I liked how it looked more.

Murodese posted:

Hey ImpAtom, any idea if Artemis Arrow retains upgrades from the base heavy slash used? Or does it just replace it?

Altered moves like that and Whirlwind Kick benefit from upgraded moves as far as I was able to tell. Level 3 Punt did more damage than Level 2 Punt at least.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 15, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

For people looking for a decent early boost, here are a couple things you can do that will help:

-The dlc items are really good for the early game, so if you have those from preorders, 13/13-2 saves, or just shelling out cash, you can use those.
-Yusnaan has a really good blitz ability right out of the gate and sells the tuxedo, which is a solid physical damage garb (color it with Hitman colors)
-Dead dunes has an outfitter right at the start who sells a garb with deprotect and deshell built in (also appropriate shades to go with the above Hitman suit)
-The first town in the Wildlands sells 4 garbs with a good built in magic attack for their respective element, as well as some baller hats
-If you do a bit of the Wildlands you'll come across a chaos area that will have a behemoth in it. You'll want a decent defense for it and a good store of potions since he does a lot of damage even through guards and one of his attacks is hard to time a perfect guard on, but it's not too tough and nets you a ridiculously powerful weapon.

For reference, I have not yet fully finished a single one of the main quests, including the Shadow Hunter and am on the third day, so these things should be pretty easy to do even on day 1 or 2.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I'm quite enjoying this game, I'll admit to being another one who felt overwhelmed at first but when I thought about it for a while, I can see that you can actually get a lot done in a short amount of time, I'm getting heavy Majora's Mask vibes in all the time sensitive quests and areas, come back here at 11pm and so on.

I'm on day 2 right now and am just bumming around Yusanan doing various side quests while I wait for the Warrens to open at midnight for the final code number.

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki
So I don't HAVE to fight him on Day2? Thanks for the other tips. I think I was using 100% magic based attacks so deshell would help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Behemoths oh god behemoths why are there so many behemoths go away i don't want you as a pet i want this chocobo as a pet.

Like seriously though, Behemoths are annoying to fight with how often they spawn. Despite the massive EP gain you get from them I think I prefer running from them than killing them out of annoyance.

• Locked thread