Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I just beat (barely) Snow and the following scene made me shake from laughter. Most of the dialogue in this game is painfully tedious and boring but this one went head-first into 'so bad it's good' territory. I've beaten three main quests now and the game has been pretty fun so far. I just wish the dialogue was better written and presented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Schwartzcough posted:

I love a lot of the little series nods in here. After convincing Biggs and Wedge to stop their little game, they set up a two-man band in Yusnaan and play the FFVI World of Balance theme. :3:

Where do I find them? Don't think I've seen them anywhere.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Thanks! I've already beaten that area's boss but I'll go there if I can find the time.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
This game give you much more freedom than in the other games of the trilogy. I also got to the part in the Wild Lands where you get a chocobo as both a party member and as a mount that doesn't run away. That's pretty drat great.

The story is stupid as poo poo but there are some so bad-it's-good scenes and Lightning' s deadpan delivery actually sort of works at times.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
It's pretty funny how Lightning gives long encouraging speeches to random NPCs but when she meets her old friends she pretty much goes "suck it up". Seriously though, the speeches feel really out of character especially when so far a big pot point is that Lightning is feeling unnaturally detached and distant. She sounds like a different person at several points during the [spoiler] chocobo quest{/spoiler], less monotone, and lighter in tone. It's an improvement, even if the monotone delivery can be pretty funny sometimes. One of her outfists makes her laugh during some attacks which is pretty disturbing. Hearing her laugh, that is.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The framerate is pretty crappy overall for me. It slows down constantly in every city and it becomes really annoying in the Wildlands. Inside the forest it's fine for some reason. Fighting Sahagins is a nightmare. I'm on a PS3. Could it be because I've replaced the hard drive?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Just beat the annoying Caious (kind of annoying I wasn't allowed to finish him off) but now I'm unable to kill the second chocobo eater, inside the village. How can I avoid the devastating chomp attack? I get its health down to 40 percent or so but then the thing goes into overdrive and kicks my rear end.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Schwartzcough posted:

If you wear the item you get from the Yusnaan boss (75% physical resistance), the Guard band (10% physical resistance), and either the Quiet Guardian or Cyber Jumpsuit garbs (+15% physical and magic resistance), you get 100% physical resistance for that schema. You should be immune to most of his attacks unless he puts deprotect on you. If that's a problem, you can get a Resist Deprotect 100% armband accessory in the Dead Dunes somewhere.

Tempo 119 posted:

You can use Counterblow to auto-evade + counter all his attacks including the one with the debuffs. The timing for evading chomp is weird, it's earlier than it looks.

Thanks! I completely forgot about the counters even though I used the magic one against the Yusnaan boss. I never got the 75% physical resistance as far as I can see, though. Is it possible to miss it?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, I think it gets dropped on the ground after the fight as a glowy, like when you kill a Last One monster. Always check the ground after killing bosses and last ones. Anyways, it's called the Ghostly Hood, in case you just missed it in your list.

If you did miss it, that sucks. Complete physical immunity is really key to cheesing the game. Make sure to get the item from the Dead Dunes boss if you haven't done that already.

That's probably it, yes. I should have thought of that, considering I found Caious' huge sword on the ground as a frickin' glowy :v:. I wouldn't mind running back to every boss location otherwise but I'm already on day 10 with one main quest in the Wild Lands to go so the clock is ticking. 75% physical resistance sounds amazing though so I guess I've got some backtracking to do. Hopefully the chocobo eater quest isn't timed!

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 11, 2014

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Miku Hatsune has one of the nuttiest fanbases in Japan and Danganronpa's most popular character is Monokuma and he is also super popular outside of that game. The fact that Lightning beat those two is a massive accomplishment.

The funny thing is that Miku isn't even a character. Or do the Vocaloid games have stories now?

I've beaten all the main quests with three days to spare. Seriously considering just looking at FAQs for some of the sidequests because finding specific characters with no clues as to where they are or when is really annoying.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
So, the last boss is a complete bastard. I sail through every form but the hit the solid brick wall of death that is the final form. I just can't get a stagger on it. I manage to get the stagger meter up to 50-70% with overclock and by switching between outfits mid combo. Then it attacks, I block, and the meter is all but gone. Usually I use physical attacks to get the meter to stay high longer but the attacks just take too long in this fight.

I've looked up strategies but they usually use weapons and equipment I've never seen even though I finished almost every sidequest and request and (almost) beat the secret dungeon. Does anyone have any tips? It's getting really annoying, even worse than the final boss of XIII-2.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Thanks for the suggestions I haven't tried spamming those spells yet. Does the Wild lands boss sword work even when you're casting spells? I don't have any ethers since I wasted all of them in the secret dungeon, but I can get to the final form without using any EP so I'll gave enough for a couple of overdrives.

Also is every god / demigod in the FF13 universe contractually obligated to be a petty dick? Sure seems that way.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 29, 2014

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

"Schwartzcough" posted:

Although they probably won't have the best stats, they're still helpful, especially if you have one or two schemas using the hoods to reduce physical or magical damage- those kill your damage output, but stagger buildup isn't tied to the damage you do. So you can still build stagger if you're doing 5 damage a hit.

Seriously? I'll have to try that out next time. I'll give the boss shot again after work.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Spent around 30 minutes oppressing about my setup, then finally beat the last boss! I took it easy for the first forms, taking my time to heal with mediguard. The second to last form beat my face in since I had completely focused on negating magic damage but I got past him while using up most of my items. The timing for his attacks are pretty darn tricky as well. Then for the final form I just used up all my EP and threw everything I had at the bastard and managed to stagger it. It took twenty minutes but I don't care. It's done. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'd put it together with Ex-death and Caious on my list of annoying dickish bosses.

Edit: I have no idea why people are making GBS threads on the ending. It was corny in the best way and I'm having trouble imagining a better ending for the trilogy. Who cares if it's out of character or whatever? I had a goofy grin on my face throughout the whole ending which is what I want from a Final Fantasy finale.

Smiling french Lightning at the end looked seriously creepy though :gonk:

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm waiting for a sale so I can buy the Moogle outfit with a clear conscience.

• Locked thread