Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Am I just poo poo at working out how to fight things or did I end up somewhere I wasn't supposed to? Ended up in the Warrens on the first day and the robots and robot bugs took ages to kill and took gently caress-all damage most of the time. Did manage to pick up a Thundara and Sparkstrike and they seem pretty good, but only really used them on regular crap enemies so I don't know how much better they are. Oh, ended up with Red Mage and a bunch of good things in the Ark too.

Also, please shut the gently caress up about the stupid loving numbers Hope. Then kill yourself you stupid annoying little prick. Should have let the God-Robot murder you. Does he ever just gently caress off and let you do stuff without going on and on about inane bullshit? Or can you turn his volume off at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Thanks for the combat tips on the game. Clicked for me today and I've been busting heads up and down Luxerion. Shadow Hunter took me several tries to beat but then I had a proper look in my inventory and found that the SOLDIER garb has Heavy Strike or whatever. Combine that with the axe you get in the Warrens, and you can steal his buffs. Also Slayer is the loving best and that's Heavy Strike as well. Plus now I have a Heavy Strike Ability so I don't have to stick to the Cloud look.

As a celebration after beating the Shadow Hunter, the next day I beat the poo poo out of that bitch-rear end dragon for the quest. Met one of his buddies in the graveyard and hosed him up too. And through use of many potions and much trial and error, I beat one of those huge rear end in a top hat robots too. The Dreadnaught sort. So I spent a whole day faffing around doing sidequests and killing stuff. It's like day four or five and I haven't left Luxerion yet. Got wrapped up in looking for those loving clocks, and there's still one missing. Of, and I've been throwing time about all over the place like I don't care. Like I'd reload rather than escape, but it takes too long and I can't be bothered and I spent enough time trying to get past those bastard cats and waiting on the load screen and that's enough of that frankly. If I gently caress myself over wasting time, well that's my fault. Still, got two fruits on the tree so far, halted the Doomsday clock at five days pretty much for now.

Also met up with Anubysses again, the first one I whacked dropped a +40 magic axe thingy. Been having fun with Schemata shenanigans, especially once I started getting more stuff. Got a whole bunch of debuff power now.

Plus I love that you can name them whatever. There's RAINBOW POWER! which I use to make all the cutscenes look dumb as hell. It's the SOLDIER stuff with every proper colour of the rainbow, and the order even works properly, as long as you start from the bottom and wear a purple hat. Mainly use it for Deshell and Deprotect, with Guard thrown in and Heavy Strike to take advantage of staggers. And a big loving axe. Still using Siegfried for the more physical stuff. Buster Sword, Sparkstrike, Poison, Guard, Relentless Assault is pretty nice. That Schema is "hit the bastards". And the magic one has Thundara, Aerora, and now the two abilities you get with the Black Mage garb, a fast ice and fast fire one. Also using the axe thingy from the Anubyss. "magic gently caress yeah" sums it up pretty well and also works as an encouragement when you can make it flash up on the screen repeatedly, alternating with "hit the bastards".

Still hate Hope though. Lumina loving rules though, she does not give a gently caress. Also she told Hope to buzz off. Vanille got loving boring though. Hope she cheers up a bit.

But that loving Carbuncle Doll. Why the gently caress was it transparent? I could see the drat thing but not take it and then it suddenly just decided to let me. Did I trigger something?

Also gently caress waiting for the Warrens. Three times I've been waiting around the gate after half eleven or so waiting for the stupid loving thing because there's too many drat quests that need you to go in there.

e:looked up clocks in a guide, think I've realised which one I missed. None in the Warrens thank gently caress.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 16, 2014

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Beat Yusnaan's main quest today. That boss at the end was awesome. Started fighting him around five in the morning, he beat me, so back up to the Ark I went. Decided on better tactics, went back down, oops, it was the time when everything suddenly gets powered up. Beat him first try anyway.

Found a couple of things in Yusnaan that have entirely broken the game in terms of fighting monsters. That item you get at the end of Yusnaan, one of the Garbs that has Physical Defence up, an extra def accessory and Mediguard. As long as I avoid taking magic head-on, I have unlimited healing through the awesome power of stalling. Since the accessory tanks magic and strength, I'm using it for Saboteur things as well. Also since I can beat up as many monsters as I want, it's practically infinite EP as well.

And the Chocobo quest in Yusnaan. :3:

Also started the Wildlands. I love it. :3: times a million, sheeps, Chocobos, and I hope Moogles if these random forest people are right. Couldn't fit Bobby Corwen in the name box, so went for the Best Chocobo Name (Choco, duh). Going to take him around to eat those flowers now while I wait for the vines to move so I can go poke around the last little bits of the forest

Oh, and the Amazon Warrior garb or whatever turned up in the Ark. Ahahahaha.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

I've heard, "that must be one of the elites!" and, "That's a big sword!" in the cloud outfit.

They even say that sword thing for me while Lightning is wielding an axe. :laugh:

Also Dryads are assholes. There was one left with about half health and it went to summon, I thought it'd be something manageable. Nope, three more loving Dryads and they all had an Aerora circlejerk. Burnt those bastards down one by one though. That was the one fight I had with Dryads, never again. I'll take great pleasure in sending them extinct later.

Actually, how do you know how you've affected the population of a monster? Think it said in the Bestiary, is it the "Distribution" bit?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Met the Moogles yesterday. They were great. Was wandering in the forest looking for mushrooms. "Hey, these lights are interesting, wait a second, they're Moogles!" And then Moogle Village and everything involved with that. :3:

Beat Wildlands boss too. Who thought jumping puzzles were a good idea? Mind you, that place did signal the game starting to give me the 3rd tier spells, and now the game is filled with pretty explosions. Magic Schema is now using Guardian Corps so I can go for Firaga/Blizzaga/Aeroga/Thundaga. Doesn't work so well against bosses in terms of Staggering, but I've got an extra magic Schema for that now. Still, managed to beat Caius with it. Barely.

Wildlands boss was probably the most exciting fight yet. Just managed to scrape a win the first try, out of EP, out of healing items, about 1500 health but he wasn't doing much better so I went all-out and just managed to beat him down. The Caius and Yeul story stuff was dumb as hell, basically XIII-2 but somehow even stupider. But the Odin bits were really quite heartwarming. :3: And then we got into a ridiculously long fight with a Chaos-infused Chocobo Eater, and after that I made a special Schema for Chocobo Eater fighting.

Oh, and I managed to loot a sword off a Reaver. Thing's even bigger than the Buster Sword. And then I got an even bigger one from you-know-where. Also it turns out that weapon choice can also make some cutscenes ridiculous. I'd been using that really thin sword you get in Yusnaan for the play on the default Schema. So when Caius is swinging his ridiculously huge sword around, it gets blocked by this tiny little thing and sends me into a minor laughing fit.

I hate not having Choco around when not in the Wildlands. :qq: It's so slow and I miss my buddy.

DarkstarIV posted:

Last One stuff

Thanks. Found out pretty soon after asking actually, Niblets went down to Rare after I did a quest involving mass Niblet-slaying. Guess I needed to be more patient. But how are you supposed to get that many Mekonekton kills? Is the Last One just a fixed encounter in the optional dungeon or something?

Oh, and I found one of the official Outerworld bots too. Had some kind of shield for 400,000+ gil. How are you supposed to get that much, just grinding?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

This game is great. I was a little concerned about the time limit at first, but it is definitely manageable. I beat the Shadow Hunter, which was an incredibly exhilarating battle. So much strategy involved, and it required good timing of guards to instantly stagger him. Took me five tries, the final lasting eight minutes and giving me a whopping score of 1 point :lol: but I felt a sense of accomplishment and badassery that I haven't in a game in a long time.

So far I've got 0 Stars and 1 point for every boss except the very first. I guess they're more of a high-score thing with the boss replay thing and they're for later when you've got more stuff. That or I just suck. :v:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Miniflan are extinct! Which is a shame because I'd just found the most hilarious way of taking out the huge groups. Magnet to draw them together, Thundaga to blast them all up in the air. It'll probably Stagger them all at once, making a ridiculously loud noise. Then they all slam into the ground together with the most silly thud. It's way louder than you'd expect for such tiny dudes. Felt a bit sorry for the Last One, not having any buddies to back him up.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well these ruins are off to a stupid start. "Hey be careful, you can't rest in here and there's no shortcuts out" as you run slap-bang into one of the teleporters.

Did run into the Last Gremlin a few steps in though. That's Miniflans, Niblets, and Gremlins exterminated so far. All accessories dropped, no hot-pink weapons yet. If Reavers don't have a bright pink sword to loot I will be sad.

I wish all the areas had party characters to help you. Luxerion and Yusnaan are obvious. Give us Noel and Snow. Or just let Choco follow you everywhere. Here's the deal, I won't bring him on the train if you explain why to him, Mr. Train Attendant.

For XIII-2 monsters, I liked Team Chocobo. All the colours. You can't go wrong with Chocobos. :3:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Main Quests all done. Now just to faff about until the end of the world. Reavers are extinct and I think Skeletons are next on the list. Or Chocobo Eaters, they need punishing too.

I think the Dead Dunes might be my favourite area. It's very Indiana Jones in places. Would probably be better if you could take Choco there too.

mikeraskol posted:

Does anyone have a good strategy for getting Earth Eaters down somewhat quickly? My god these things are a pain in the rear end to kill, I'm usually in no danger of death but it takes about 20 minutes.

Put Aerora on every Schema. Keep him staggered as much as possible, use physicals while he's staggered. Block just before he uses So Hungry, and when he uses Chef's Special block that too. Works better if you let go of block after the fire bit but before the ice bit.

Oops, you said Earth Eater not Chocobo Eater. Aerora spam is still the way to go, physical when staggered, block before his poison thing and I guess block the fireball thing too. I'm not looking forward to fighting them without Fang.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Snakeskin Cowboy Hat is the best. :colbert:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, it's a bit off-putting to get a trophy for sending several species of monsters extinct. But I got a lot of pink dudes today.

Started out eradicating Chocobo Eaters with my buddy Choco. While we were doing that we wiped out the Ectopuddings and Goblins. Magenta Chocobo Eater looks loving wacky. Didn't realise he was the example in the picture for the Datalog about Last Ones. The silly face is so much more apparent when it's bright pink.

Then I decided to go do the quest for drops from Zaltyses and Cyclopes. Was only going to get five each but then I discovered that the tiny room you fight a Zaltys in in the tutorial spawns nothing but them, so I wiped them out too.

Pity really, they're amazing fun to fight if you go for their gimmicks. Very Monster Hunter for the Zaltys, a bit Revengeance for the Cyclops. Oh, and I got the ridiculous damage trophy while battering the Last Cyclops.

Anyway, tomorrow the skeletons are going away forever. Might wipe out those dumb cats as well.

Also, got a question. I seem to be missing one of the teleporters in the Dead Dunes. I heard the optional dungeon is in that area, is there one I there I'm missing or are they all in the main desert?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Systematic System posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
All the teleporters are either in the desert proper or the ruins you visit in the main storyline. I'd bet you're missing the teleporter for "Ruins - South Gate" which requires you to go up a passageway near a big gated-off area.

Thanks for the tip, but it wasn't that one. Found the one I was missing though. It was in an area I'd written off already because "it's really close to that one, it'd be stupid for one to be there". gently caress you, Near God's Wrath!

Anyway, skeletons are all murdered. Next up, Gaunts, because they're clogging up the graveyard and I need to fight dragons and big robots and they keep getting in the way. Plus they need a special Schema for me to fight them without getting battered to death by Aero/ra/ga. It's no fun when the enemies do it. Being Magic-immune fucks them over though. To be honest, it's pretty much essential for me. Pricks. I'll go murder the Dryads later too. Leave those Moogles alone you buncha creeps.

Also the arena still has Reavers and Cyclopes. What is this sorcery, they're extinct! :v:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Exterminated the Skeletons. The weapon you get from the Last One is amazing. :swoon: I mean, it's the regular Skeleton drop, but a bit stronger (and pink), but the ability on it is brilliant if you pair it with Curse and Attack. Something-or-other-Chaser. Works with a whole bunch of debuffs, but Curse is the best. Gaunts went from a big pain that took ages to over in thirty seconds. So I sent them into extinction so I could fight more Dreadnaughts and those wind dragons. Both extinct as well now.

Picked up a pretty great strategy for Dreadnaughts. Deprotect, 11 Blizzagas. Well, four Blizzagas, Overclock, all the Overclocked Blizzagas, ordinary Blizzagas until it dies. Last One was exactly the same, just needed way more Blizzagas, and 8 EP worth of Overclock. And a bunch more Blizzagas. I love that big Last Ones give you 8 EP when you whack them, it lets you go loving mental on them.

Also the dragons collapsing when you cut off their tails is hilarious in slow-motion.

Anyway, think I've done all the Sidequests and Prayers I can so far in everywhere but the Dunes. Might leave some of those until next playthrough because I hate Earth Eaters. Will have a whack at that superboss though. Probably sort out the Cactuars.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Having done some google-fu, it's literally impossible to do all the Dunes side quests on a first loop, because one of them needs you to clear the bonus dungeon in order to fill out the bestiary.

The kill every Last One one, I think? Yeah, apparently there's also three monsters that only appear in the last dungeon so you have to kill all of them as well and go into NG+.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I can tell I don't have the patience for Aeronite right now. So forget him, I'm going to spend the day killing everything else in the desert instead. Then the day after that is for the optional dungeon, and the day after that is the final one.

How does the NG+ thingy work, is it possible to start a new cycle on Easy, rest for seven days, fight Aeronite and then go on to Hard mode by running out of time? Guess I need to finish a couple of Main Quests to reach day seven as well.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, I switched my main Physical attacking Schema to Soldier of Peace. Artemis' Arrows. :swoon:

Was pretty trivial to genocide the Gurangatch and Desert Sahagins with that.

Killed all the Cactuars as well. :( That's actually the only one I properly feel bad about so far. Never expected to end up with three spawning at once, but one of the battles ended up like that.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

They just wanted to dance you monster! :smith:

I know! :negative:

Still, the pink one was cute. I killed him too. I am a monster. A rich monster at least, those dudes have a ton of cash.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, I got carried away and now all of the monsters are dead, apart from old faithful Anubys.

Killed the Gorgonopsids first, then it was off to get revenge on the Dryads. While I was doing that I finished the Rafflessias. Then I thought why stop there so I killed the Apes and Protoflorians, and it seemed odd to leave one species alive in the Wildlands so I got the Triffids too.

Messing around in Yusnaan later, killed the Schrodingers and the Hoplites, realised there was only Skatanes and Earth Eaters left, so a jaunt round Snow's gardens finished the birds. Was going to leave the Eaters for the Ultimate Dungeon, but then I found an awesome tactic for beating them really fast so off they went.

Then the Ultimate Dungeon. Very empty place. Killed the Meonekton, poisoned the Ereshkigal to death, and I was so jazzed up I decided to give the Aeronite another go and he's dead too. The new world will be built on a mountain of monster corpses.

Just the final dungeon jerks next I guess. Almost finished all the Prayer quests as well, but 30 Flanitors are a bitch to find later on in the game, so that one's going on the backlog.

Oh, and recently I've managed to bump into the Rare Forge guy like four times in two game days. I'm guessing he's going to be trickier to find on Hard when he's actually got new stuff. And I'll probably be broke when I do find him. :v:

McDragon fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 24, 2014

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Apparently Flanitors spawn in the courtyard in front of the Patron's palace from 06:00-16:00.

Good to know, thanks. Will have to wait until next playthrough now, but I'll keep that in mind.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Something I just remembered I liked about the fight with Ereshkigal. Where his Meteor attacks get bigger and bigger suffixes as he starts adding extra meteors. Just a nice silly little thing about the attack that's gonna kill you.

My favourite area has to be the Dead Dunes. I just love sliding all round the place. Dead Dunes and Chocobo together would have been brilliant.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I'm just starting Day 6, and I really don't have much at all to do at this point. I have a few Canvas of Prayers quests I could work on, along with 2-3 sidequests, but the main quests are all wrapped up. Does anyone have advice on good things to take care of before blitzing to the end of this first playthrough?

As much as you can be bothered with, I guess. Probably as many of the side/prayer quests you can manage, more stats is always helpful, and extra adornments are great. Perhaps beat up a few Last Ones as well. That gets you quite a bit of money as well, always nice. Perhaps beat up all the Cactuars because they give lots of money too and you can only fight 30 in a playthrough. I went a bit mad and did basically everything I could think of, and there's still like six hours left on the bonus day for me.

Oh, the opening the Highways Prayer quests, if you do those the shops get more things to buy.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, beat the last boss. The ending sequence was everything I was promised and then some. :allears:

About the actual fight: Managed to bullshit my way to the final form and then died. Rejigged my Schematas to super-staggering versions of my physical immune, magical immune, and face-stabbing ones and saved EP for the end. Should have guessed the final form would use the same only properly vulnerable during Stagger gimmick as the first game.

Fedule posted:

Is there actually a way to not die to that? I always just wrote it off as "welp, time to burn another Phoenix Down". Can you perfect guard it or something?

No idea. Every time he used it it was Phoenix time for me.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Wait, some of the bosses have ++ versions as well? Welp, add one more playthrough to get everything I guess. If I ever go all crazy completionist on this game anyway. Will probably at least go do the Platinum, there's just a bit of busywork really.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Fedule posted:

Well, I've seen the ending.

Words fail.

No, wait, I thought of some. Please, please tell me Lightning saying "we'll be together soon" was her talking to Serah or something and not, as I fear, to Motomu Toriyama. Or, worse (?), to the player.

Oh good, not just me that those two things occurred to then.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

It's a shame it takes such a long time to upload pictures to the Outerworld thing. And annoying how difficult it is to grab them. I've had lots of fun taking goofy pictures but it would be so much better if it was faster and easier to get at them. Anyway, I persevered, so here's some snaps.

Sheep Herding

Search and Rescue

A Cute Puppy

This Dude

A Bird

The Protagonist

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

You made Lightning have that color scheme to match a hat too, didn't you?

I didn't, actually. I just like orange, and then I realised how well it went with the pumpkin head, and then Lightning became the Pumpkin King for the rest of the game. It got very silly.

Which hat were you thinking of? Might have to try it out.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

It's one of the sidequests you get from the board, the Dead Dunes one. One about collecting lizard tails as far as I remember.

I think the shops in Ruffian only open up after you finish the Main Quest there.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, the way I did it was to link a Facebook account in the settings, went to the Lightning Returns page (I think there's a link on the Square Enix one), wrestled with the app for a bit, and they all popped up at the bottom of the screen after a bit of fiddling about. As far as I can tell you can't actually download them unless you take a screenshot. Anyway, apparently it only saves the last 100 you took, and I'm pretty sure battle rankings count towards that too.

Oh, it had all the ones I took before linking it as well, which was nice.

Dunno if there's an easier way, but that's how I did it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Does it poo poo up your whole Facebook profile with final fantasy images though? Don't really want to spam my friends with nerd posts.

Not sure I'm afraid, iOS games forced me into making a special nerd post account a while back so I just used that one. I think you can probably do something to mean only you see them though.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Aurain posted:

It was less so in XIII, but XIII's super boss was also one of those flying Cieth with a huge weakness to poison so it's definitely intended.

I think XIII-2 had one of those too.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

UselessLurker posted:

Wow, the final dungeon looks like it was made on a budget of approximately five bucks.

Have you seen all of it? I thought it got quite impressive looking later on. First bit was dull though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Etro broke the bridge in Final Fantasy 1.

And the After Years was her idea.

• Locked thread