Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Great OP! Just finished the prologue and the first main quest, and I'm liking it so far. Had to redo the stealth section in the next part since during the first time, the cultists spawned right around me as I ran around, and I didn't want to have to fight them. The one fight I did try against a couple of them was pretty awesome. Perfect-guarding, using magic to dodge attacks, and switching around Schemata reminded me of something like DMC 3. So for anyone else, when the music changes as the quest begins, start hiding around the stalls or around there. You'll know you're hidden when Lightning kneels on the ground.

Brumaldo posted:

I bet Lightning every FF protagonist ever is gonna kill god, isn't she/he.

I wouldn't expect anything else. Would be justified in this case, since the gods in XIII are jerks.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I absolutely love the combat in this game. Was fighting one of Behemoth-like monsters in the Wild Lands, and I thought I in way over my head. But with some fortuitous perfect guards and liberal use of Deshell and Thunder, I was able to turn the tide of the fight, and got him staggered at around halfway health. Turned on Overclock and took out my Buster Sword and went to town, finishing with a fancy air combo. Cue FF 7 victory music. :black101:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

The Grimace posted:

Hope: You threw that moogle farther than Serah ever did!

Lightning: "Did I overdo it?" I love the delivery of that line. She sort of feels bad, but mostly she's like "Eh, they'll be fine."

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Just finished the Shadow Hunter fight.

Took me a couple tries, but I thought it was really fun. Fighting Noel seemed closer to a Devil May Cry boss fight than a typical JRPG fight. I also thought the pre-fight banter was pretty neat, if only for Noel and Lightning being stone-loving cold to each other and showing signs of mentally cracking. "You want to find Yeul? Find her in death." :stare:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

chumbler posted:

I liked how Lightning was being :smug: as poo poo to him, too. Lightning is so much more interesting and fun as a character when she can actually emote and interact with people, even though she's supposed to be dead inside. I want to believe the voice directors just said "You know what, gently caress being accurate to the story, let's actually make it fun." Hope also has some good moments from time to time. Mostly when he's making fun of Lightning instead of being an annoying nag or creepy pervert.

Their conversation in the Moogle search quest was great. Speaking of the Moogles, I got a good laugh at Lightning and Mog's "hug."

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Hah, that's a neat detail. Now I need to see if the Cloud outfit gets any unique conversation. Speaking of neat touches, I found one of the street performers people mentioned, and this time he was doing an acoustic version of the New Bhodum theme. The game's a lot more fun when you explore and not try to follow the completion guide.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Hah, just got a good exchange during "The Saint's Stone."

Warehouse Worker: "I'd open these crates, but you would have to smash them open, haha!"

Lightning: "I can handle that."

Warehouse Worker: "Wait, you're joking, right?"

Lightning: "No, not really."

Snarky Lightning's pretty great.

D'aw, and Hope's pretty happy about seeing Vanille again. :3:

EDIT 2: As out of nowhere Vanille's new power was, her story's pretty depressing. Thousands of years later, and she still carries her guilt. :smith:

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 18, 2014

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Just finished the Yusnaan main quest.

Really liked the Lightning/Snow confrontation. As melodramatic as it was, Ali Hillis and Troy Baker did a great job selling me on it. I found it amusing that in it's own minor way, *Punch Snow* helped save him in the end. :v: The whole main quest was great, overall. Got a good laugh at Lightning's deadpan "Oh no, you saw through my elaborate disguise" and Hope giving Lightning poo poo for sticking out by going into the plaza "populated by couples." And to top it off, the whole infiltration/play plan was ridiculously crazy and I loved it.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 19, 2014

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

LegionAreI posted:

This game really has some neat little touches - in the middle of hitting peak JRPG in the Yusnaan storyline, you need to do some stuff in the arena. The best little touch is that when you win some fights in there, the audience sings the FF victory theme. :3:

Semi-spoiler if you care about that type of thing: http://youtu.be/j_Q0FFrwdqw?t=44s

I played that part of the story with my sound low, so I completely missed that. :( Hopefully that happens with the optional fights as well. Really cool, though!

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Speedball posted:

I have a conundrum with this game. From the demo I can tell you that I love everything artistic about it. The visuals, the environments, the music. All superb. I had the same reaction to the other two XIII games. It's like, the part of Square-Enix in charge of aesthetics is totally doing everything right…it's just the core gameplay and core writing team need to get kicked into a different department.

The core gameplay is awesome, and easily one of the best of the franchise. The story is still a Final Fantasy XIII story, so if you weren't tolerant of it before, nothing's going to change now.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 21, 2014

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Speedball posted:

I'm not actively offended by bad stories, I usually just love to do mental post-mortems on them to figure out how it could have been better. So then I might actually like this game. The demo doesn't give you more than a tiny taste of what the real action is like, I take it? I didn't have more than some small monsters and one boss to try everything out on.

The demo has you pretty powerful already, so fights aren't tough, and there isn't much need for strategy. The actual game requires a decent amount of strategy and skill. You mentioned that you liked the various aesthetics, and the game nails them pretty well. Exploring is fun, despite the slowdown, and there's a ton of neat details.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I'll be honest, I thought they were traps at first so I was extra cautious going through them.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

abaddonis posted:

I couldn't turn around without running into one of the official SE outerworld NPCs but now they're nowhere to be found

Same here, but then again I'm running around an empty desert. Guess I'll hunt for one when I'm in Luxerion or Yusnaan next.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Faust IX posted:

I had a good laugh when a bunch of NPCs in Luxerion who were normally talking about a "Knight of Etro" actually seeing a real Knight Of Etro and starting to freak out a bit.

The story and plot dialogue writers must have been isolated from the world-building writers team. There is so much life in the world around that you might not notice that I can't help but think they took a page from FFV Advance's translation. Especially some of the quest dialogue and quest related flavor text. "Look, lady, you can't possibly miss him" for the one man band playing 6 instruments in Yusnaan; got my hopes up for Gilgamesh inexplicably playing Clash On The Big Bridge after that event flag, but it was just another dude.

Wouldn't that be awesome fan-art, though?

I do appreciate the cute version of the Final Fantasy theme that band is playing, though. :3:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Just beat the Wildlands boss.

Holy poo poo Caius was a brutal fight. It was pretty much the definition of a slugfest as we kept on throwing attacks at each other. I think the only reason I was able to survive was that my defensive schema was somehow set up to block pretty much all of his Ravager attacks. Despite using all of my consumables and having to burn through my EP, it's the only fight I've been able to get 5 stars on.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Haha, the Bahkti sidequest in the Dead Dunes got real dark real fast. I love it.

I liked how Fang called Hope out on his bullshit emotionless response.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Ya the sidequests have been pretty neat in general. Though the concept of no one aging is pretty cool too. The main plot is still kinda bad. God I was cringing so hard during the final Yunaan main quest cutscenes.

Yusnaan was my favorite. :( Wildlands was kinda bleh once I reached the temple. CHAOS CHAOS YEUL. Still, I enjoyed Caius being Caius, and the Yeul that fell in love with Noel showing up at the end was a nice knife twist after doing Luxerion. Best part of Wild lands though was definitely Chocodin and the return of Crazy Chocobo.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Maybe if there's a Snow DLC, he'll get a WoL costume? The datalogs mention his deal with Cactuar, and I want to see how that came about. Have it set during right when he becomes Patron, and have it basically be Final Fantasy: Final Fight.

EDIT: Heading into Day 8 and I really liked the conversation with Lumina. I thought I would hate her character, but the mind games between her and Lightning are fun. I was happy when she finally brought up that Hope seems...off. And it's neat to see that Lightning is aware of the bullshit around her and is planning on a contingency.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 26, 2014

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I'm hoping there's a proper Colosseum DLC along the line. That was one of the biggest disappointments in XIII-2, the fact that the cool arena and guardian was a gigantic cocktease for some DLC. I still bought it, but I was shaking my fist as I did so :argh:

:smugjones: "Meowmeowchocochow."

"I'm only in this for the steak." :colbert:

Actually, the only times I've heard Lightning sound somewhat happy/proud was when she's talking about eating/grilling Behemoth steak, which granted, is probably justified.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I find the concept of "500 years of stagnation" in LR pretty cool, and I think it generally hits the creepy/depressing tone well, especially in the sidequests.

EDIT: Speaking of creepy/depressing, the stories the Seed Hunters start telling are pretty interesting. :stare:

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 28, 2014

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Yusnaan's boss gets stronger after Day 7 and Day 10.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Instant Grat posted:

Preorder DLC outfits are going up for general purchase if you're into that: Source

Flower of War looks like you get a naginata. That's pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Even though a lot of the music in LR is taken from XIII and XIII-2, the LR original music is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQdKkvERi6c

• Locked thread