Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Saint Freak posted:

(are 360 codes seriously like a million characters?):

Xbox Live codes are handled by the same system that generates and manages Product Keys for Windows and every Microsoft software ever. So, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I lovehate that I'm judging Garb suitability primarily by ability to be colour-coordinated.

Also why can't you colour-edit adornments :mad:

E: Or weapons :mad: :mad:

EE: Seriously though, why can't I have a magic sword that isn't bright purple? And why must some garbs have bits you can't colour-edit? I want to make a black version of Ignition damnit.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 16, 2014

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
In my greed for EP I accidentally hunted a species to extinction.

I don't know how I feel about this.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Static Rook posted:

Picked up the Collector's Edition of the guide and I'm liking it. It's nice to be able to put markers on the in-game map with all the spots you need to go to for certain quests.

Being able to drop markers is nice, but what would be nicer is if the game would just mark certain things on the map for you, especially in instances where you're dealing with known locations and people.

Better waypointing in general is something I think this game could really have done with; it's getting really annoying having to look up stuff in a guide because gently caress looking around the whole of a place for a person when they might not even be there until another time.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

DarkstarIV posted:

Well then you'll like the weapons that drop from the Last Ones. They are hot pink. :v:

Holy gently caress you were serious.

Why?

I mean actually what is it with Last Ones and hot pink? I get that you want a warning when you see them on the field so you'll know to get ready for poo poo going down but why did they have to colour their entire models hot pink?! Why?

Now I have to recolour all my outfits so that they don't look ridiculous with hot pink weaponry.

I love this game.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Funny story: There's a quest in Yusnaan where you have to defeat a bunch of Niblets, and they drop Niblet-Slayer Emblems on the field screen. There's also a quest in Yusnaan where you have to make Niblets extinct.

If you do the latter quest first, then when you start the former they just spawn 30 Niblet-Slayer Emblems on the ground right in front of you. None of the quest dialog changes in any way.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
God, the Last One weapons aren't just coloured hot pink, they actually ignore all in-engine lighting and are fully lit at all times. So even if you try to colour an outfit to coordinate with a hot pink sword it'll still clash if you're somewhere with any unusual lighting.

Who thought this was a good idea?!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

ShadeofDante posted:

I don't get the stagger system. I thought I did, but I really don't get it.

SO I'm on Day 10, trying to kill Earth Eaters to fully explore Dead Dunes. I've been told to "spam Aeroa" to stagger them. It doesn't work. Every time it gets them to the middle color, and then quickly drains back to nothing. I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious here but how the hell am I supposed to beat these guys?

Yellow is not the middle colour. Yellow is just the "yes, that thing you just did was the Right Thing™" colour. When you do the thing you get a brief flash of yellow regardless of the actual stagger value. The actual stagger meter is the one that starts out blue then turns red.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Apropos of nothing, they sure did a great job choosing a perfect moment to reprise Crazy Chocobo.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Now that Endgame is coming up I have a newfound appreciation for the FFXIII/FFXIII-2 costumes, for one simple reason; they have four open ability slots. Seriously, the other garbs are great and stuff but so many of them are held back by being stuck with poo poo abilities I don't want and/or are worse than the ones I have.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Beat Ereshkigal.

Got Ultima.

Everything I could use it on is extinct.

:(

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

McDragon posted:

Something I just remembered I liked about the fight with Ereshkigal. Where his Meteor attacks get bigger and bigger suffixes as he starts adding extra meteors. Just a nice silly little thing about the attack that's gonna kill you.

Is there actually a way to not die to that? I always just wrote it off as "welp, time to burn another Phoenix Down". Can you perfect guard it or something?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Can someone tell me what is the deal with Whirlwind Kick? Some people are swearing up and down that it's like totally amazing but it just seems to do not a great deal of damage and have a fancy animation. Am I missing something?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Here's a thing that I think should be told to more people:

Share your Ethers and Turbo Ethers, people! Post something, anything, to Outerworld and attach an Ether/Turbo to it. You don't lose items you share! People make a lot of fuss about Elixirs and yes Elixirs are awesome, but they cost like 360,000 gil and gently caress that poo poo. Ethers/Turbos cost like 2800/5600 gil and really help people out.

Similarly, if you see someone selling Ethers/Turbos be sure to cheer them.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Well, I've seen the ending.

Words fail.

No, wait, I thought of some. Please, please tell me Lightning saying "we'll be together soon" was her talking to Serah or something and not, as I fear, to Motomu Toriyama. Or, worse (?), to the player.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Qwezz posted:

I have a spare keycode for the FFX Summoner outfit (+staff/shield) from the FFX HD remake. EU version if that matters.

2KD5-MCN2-CH5B

first come first served if anyone wants it.

Snapped up gladly!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Everyone playing this game should download a FFXIII and FFXIII-2 save from GameFAQs or something if they don't have one of their own. You get a bonus garb based on Lightning's costume from each game - LR doesn't care if the save is yours or not - and the two costumes you get are decent if middling (IIRC Guardian Corps gets you bonus ATB and Knight of Valhalla gets you bonus Str/Mag), and more importantly are the only costumes in the entire goddamn game that have four free ability slots.

They also have pretty OK colour customization options, and come with pretty OK equipment too.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Funfact: Lightning Returns is on sale on EU PSN right now; was £39.99/€59.99/$89.95, now £19.99/€24.99/$29.95. That's not half bad!

Fedule fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 16, 2014

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
With most of New Game Plus behind me basically every foe in the game is getting their poo poo wrecked by Elementa nukes/Beat Down followed by Deprotect Chaser (now finally free of the Brittle Bone). Times are good.

Except.

Jesus loving Christ Aeronite (Day 10), what the gently caress do you want from me? Between Magic Slash spam and about four consecutive overclocks I can get him down to about 15% health before he goes "lol j/k" and flies off.

This is to say nothing of his Flare attacks, which seem to randomly decide whether or not they're going to bypass my guard today.

I am missing something.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Magic Slash with the double physical finale item (Locket Pendant I think?) is how I did it in my first runthrough. Just to check on some things:

- You're inflicting both Deprotect and Deshell, since Magic Slash accounts for both
- If you have space in your setups, you might also consider Imperil paired with an elemental potion
- You're popping items like Warrior's Potion or whatever else so you're going at him with Brave/Faith/Haste active
- It helps if one of your setups is completely immune to magic damage so you can switch to it real quick to tank spells while still doing minor amounts of damage or reinflicting statuses instead of guarding

Honestly, if you fulfill all those requirements, you shouldn't really need Overclocks to take him down, especially given you're in a second playthrough.

Oh yeah, one other thing: even though Magic Slash does both physical and magical damage, it apparently only factors your physical stat into account, so make sure you're pumping that up as much as possible in that garb setup.

Cheers for hints; I didn't think to use an elemental potion, so I popped over to Ruffian and got an Enearo Potion and that just about put me over the edge.

Aeronite aside (I dislike how maddenly specific the Aeronite strategies end up being - it's Magic Slash or Artemis' Arrows or GTFO, basically), I am kinda sorta reeling from the sheer number of viable strategies that become available once you hit a certain critical mass of abilities (or start a NG+). I keep swaying back and forth on a main approach to take with my builds but I always end up settling on a super-stagger-happy setup based around Spira's Summoner and her batshit crazy overpowered Elementa spell.

I did not fully appreciate that the Sworn to the Staff passive is applied generally to spells cast by the Schema that has it equipped. I thought it was just, "cast spells with Blue, get ATB for Red and Yellow", but no. It's "cast spells as Blue, then when those spells do damage, whatever schema you aren't in at the time get ATB". And this is per hit, not per spell.

What this means is that when my Yunalightning casts two Elementas, she can switch to Sentinel Sacred Knight and guard, and three seconds later she'll have regained the 80 ATB it took to cast them, and more if it hit more than one enemy. It means even though my ATB capacity and speed aren't very impressive on any schema, I am pumping out Beat Downs and Elementas all the time.

Similarly, I didn't know that Jump counts as a combo finale. I thought it was only Attack and -Strikes that got combo finales. So now I know that the Locket Pendant allows you to Double Jump, which staggers and usually kills basically everything in one go.

On the opposite end of this scale, does anyone else think it's loving stupid that the rare passive "Committal" doesn't work on abilities that you have levelled up from 1 causing them to now cost less than 40 ATB? (eg, Heavy Slash costs 35 if you raise it all the way from Lv1). Don't see why they couldn't have just designated "heavy" abilities like Heavy Slash and Beat Down instead of doing it via ATB cost.

Another weird thing; there are a bunch of enemies - not sure what the pattern is - that take much more damage from Deprotect Chaser when you activate it using Light Slash instead of attack. What's up with that?

I love this drat game, in all the ways I hoped I would love XIII.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
It's gotten some pretty good sales lately too. I've seen it go from £40 to £20 a few times, and presumably NA PS+ has had something similar what with its generally more sale-happy setup.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
By the way, does anyone know exactly how you're supposed to guard against Arcangeli's Wings of Judgement attack? It seems like sometimes it just decides "no gently caress you I'm bypassing your guard" and sometimes it gets blocked properly (by holding down guard) and I have no idea what's different between each situation.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Unrelated: Jesus Christ, Last Boss+. Fuuuuuuuck.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Galeboomer posted:

Which phase is the one causing the most trouble there? I thought the third and fourth phases were annoyingly hard on the regular fight, so + scares me. Then again, I have a history of finding the final bosses of the XIII series to be really hard, aside from Orphan. :ohdear:

On NG+ he actually cycles between his 2nd and 3rd forms between broken-rear end superattacks until you make him eat 14,000,000 damage, then you fight the 4th form. Every attack is basically a 1HKO. I haven't yet found a way to stop him getting a Hypernova off. Dancing Mad is preventable though I always need to burn an Overclock. Final form is an rear end in a top hat with his fast stagger recovery and stalling-rear end attacks although Heartless Angel is now basically a freebie since it's the only attack that doesnt 1HKO you.

The problem is that he gets to keep doing the superattacks. Over and over until you rack up the damage. And the whole time you have to keep your guard up or whoops you dead.

Got Double Deity first try, like a boss. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Well, I did all the things and I finished NG+ and now I'm officially just tooling around until I get bored and move onto the next game in my list. I've settled on a setup that can reliably deal with Aeronite, Ereshkigal, and Bhunivelze+ without using items, so that's pretty neat.

What a last boss, though. Definitely worthy of capping off a NG+. I got just one question though; is there a particularly reliable way of dealing with Genethliac Hymn that doesn't involve overclocking? Without it, it seems like it's down to either using a powerful schema and getting killed by random lightning or using a tough schema and not staggering the bastard in time. It's the only piece of boss bullshit I haven't quite figured out how to reliably deal with yet.

• Locked thread