Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
gently caress some of the side-quests in this game.

Farming last ones (last of a monster species aka Omega monsters) is so goddamn painful, especially with no real indicator of how many more of some monsters you have to kill. I mean you have the bestiary, but lets be honest. It only gives you a vague hint. Under distribution, it says Common - Uncommon - Rare. If its rare, it means the Last One will show up soon. Other than that, you will be killin the dudes forever (by that, I mean I've heard anywhere from 30-180 kills). At least they drop good stuff. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
You want to know the biggest rear end in a top hat enemy in the game? Earth Eaters. They can take one hell of a beating, and take a lot to stagger. They can also buff themselves. I hate them because they are the only enemy in the entire game to give me any sort of trouble. :mad:

Also until you stagger them the first time, they are pretty much immune to all but two debuffs.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 15, 2014

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Murodese posted:

Just wait until you go up against the second chocobo eater :stare:

Already faced him. Had no real issues with it, since he was significantly easier to stagger, and wasn't resistant or immune to everything.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Just a heads up, if there are 100,000 Outerverse posts by the 28th(?), Square Enix will unlock the Helter Skelter garb for everyone.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Fedule posted:

I lovehate that I'm judging Garb suitability primarily by ability to be colour-coordinated.

Also why can't you colour-edit adornments :mad:

E: Or weapons :mad: :mad:

EE: Seriously though, why can't I have a magic sword that isn't bright purple? And why must some garbs have bits you can't colour-edit? I want to make a black version of Ignition damnit.

Well then you'll like the weapons that drop from the Last Ones. They are hot pink. :v:

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Refused posted:

I'm on day 8 and have just completed all the main quests and ~45 of the side quests so far. Does more content open up towards the end, or am I gonna have some slow days? All I can think to do now is explore more in the Dead Dunes/Wildlands and collect stuff for canvas quests.

You will unlock the optional dungeon on the 13th day, since you have 45 side quests done. Otherwise I just endlessly killed monsters, and killing their Last Ones. The big problem with the optional dungeon is that time still flows while you are in battle, and you cannot use Chronostasis, so being able to skip a few last one fights is a godsend.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

McDragon posted:

They even say that sword thing for me while Lightning is wielding an axe. :laugh:

Also Dryads are assholes. There was one left with about half health and it went to summon, I thought it'd be something manageable. Nope, three more loving Dryads and they all had an Aerora circlejerk. Burnt those bastards down one by one though. That was the one fight I had with Dryads, never again. I'll take great pleasure in sending them extinct later.

Actually, how do you know how you've affected the population of a monster? Think it said in the Bestiary, is it the "Distribution" bit?

Yes, as the distribution of a monster gets lower and lower, it will change from Common to Rare. When it switches over to rare, there are only a handful of them left, and the Last One will spawn in a few more kills.

The general breakdown for kills required is:

Large: ~30 kills
Medium: 31-120 (give or take a few kills)
Small: 120-200 kills (they come in large groups though)

There are a few exceptions to this rule. Cactuars only require around 30 kills, the Cactair is the only one of its kind. Chimeras require 15 kills due to where you fight them. You'll be forced into the optional dungeon for Mekonektons, since they require 65535 kills. I mean you could wait until the optional dungeon to kill all the omega monsters (last ones), but it will be their Day 13 version, so it will take a little while, and time continues to flow while in battle. And you cannot use Chronostasis while in that dungeon.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 17, 2014

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
So lets talk about the Rare Forge and how dumb it is. I am missing two garbs from it. Astral Lord and Carnaval Crusher. The dude is hard as hell to track down (he changes locations every IN GAME HOUR), and doesn't stick out too much. I have to 100% this game and until I get those two costumes I will be mad as heck. Not that I'll be able to afford the Astral Lord costume any time soon (500,000 gil).

Before anyone asks, the Astral Lord costume isn't very good. It comes with the level 3 version of chill, flare, surge, and tornado already equipped on it. Which sounds cool as hell, until you learn those spells aren't very good unless your HP is very low.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

McDragon posted:

Thanks. Found out pretty soon after asking actually, Niblets went down to Rare after I did a quest involving mass Niblet-slaying. Guess I needed to be more patient. But how are you supposed to get that many Mekonekton kills? Is the Last One just a fixed encounter in the optional dungeon or something?

Oh, and I found one of the official Outerworld bots too. Had some kind of shield for 400,000+ gil. How are you supposed to get that much, just grinding?

Yeah, its a fixed encounter in the optional dungeon. It's a great place to get some decent accessories (how about a PIN that increases your starting ATB by 50%?), and some not so decent accessories (Increase resistance to fire by 90%, but double all other damage you take).

As for the gil costs, that is about right. The Astral Lord garb on Hard Mode is 500,000 gil, but you get more gil on HM.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
For those who need to know exact numbers on how many enemies they need to hunt until they go extinct, here is a guide that lists the kills required for each:

http://www.trueachievements.com/walkthroughpage.aspx?pageid=5998

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Hey duders, just a heads up for those going into a new game plus: If you complete more than 40 sidequests during NG+, not only will you unlock the optional dungeon, but you'll unlock a significantly tougher version of the final boss. He is pretty much superboss level then. Given, this form has a better chance of dropping the Double Deity, but its only a 15% chance, and the weapon itself isn't the best.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Syrant posted:

When do you unlock access to Last Ones? Just as soon as you drive your first enemy toward extinction?

Just endlessly kill dudes. That's about it. As long as they have a distribution thing, they can be driven to extinction. If you want exact numbers, this guide should provide them. It also provides a list of what they drop, and on what days.

http://www.trueachievements.com/walkthroughpage.aspx?pageid=5998 (Put this in the OP, please)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Fedule posted:

Beat Ereshkigal.

Got Ultima.

Everything I could use it on is extinct.

:(

Good news is that Ultima is loving garbage and not worth using at all.

• Locked thread