Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

This is giving me the same feeling I got when I first played Chrono Cross: just a sense of being overwhelmed with stuff to do and no idea where to begin.

Okay, so I'm following the dead girl quest in the first area. Followed the cult to their super sekrit meeting. I'm not seeing anyone to talk to who can shed more light on the password or glowy demonic graffiti. Should I just cut my losses and hop on the monorail like Hope suggested, or is there a plot/time trigger I'm missing?

Oxxidation posted:

After playing through the first two games and learning the end of this one, I like to think that the whole FFXIII series is just a tale of (spoilers obviously) Lightning getting increasingly fed up with how unbelievably motherfucking stupid the gods of her world are.

From what I can gather, if Etro hadn't intervened at the end of the first game, turning everyone back into humans, none of the following two games would've happened. So thanks to her, time got hosed up beyond all recognition... somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Ciaphas posted:

Since folks are mentioning guides (and since the other FF thread appears to have vanished--where'd it go?), are 13 and 13-2 the sort of games that I'll want to get the guides for if I want to play them before I get this?

(Yes, I know about the story synopsis, I still want to play the previous games first. v:shobon:v)

Not really. The first game is a straight A-B walk and the only subquest in the latter half of the game is a glorified join-the-dots. Maybe if you're planning on indulging in weaponcrafting, but otherwise, not really.

As for the second game, there's nothing really missable. You can freely revisit any previous point and reset it to how it was when you first got there. There's a ton more optional content, some of it annoying to access, so you might want to look up how to get to them, but if you're just planning on running through the story, its straightforward.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Gaz-L posted:

Shove a series on Netlfix and skim the subtitles. XIII, as long as you're not a stubborn idiot manbaby like some people I've seen on Youtube and don't insist on manually choosing each attack, isn't that hard or taxing. Tedious at times, yes, but not hard. Especially once you grasp the battle and crafting system.

XIII-2 is much better designed for intermittent, short play sessions, but it does have a weird difficulty spike in the final dungeon. Not the final boss, mind you, just the dungeon.

Basically this. You can autopilot a lot of the first game with COM/COM/RAV (or RAV/RAV/COM) and if there's anything you don't understand (which will be a lot, since most of the story is hidden in the datalog), look for a story or plot guide. The ending will make little sense without one ([spoiler]other than boiling down to 'deus ex machina out of loving nowhere'[spoiler]), to the point where a few bits of XIII-2 are dedicated to explaining what the hell actually happened.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

abaddonis posted:

I couldn't turn around without running into one of the official SE outerworld NPCs but now they're nowhere to be found

I've not seen a single one yet. Anyone know if this is a limited-time grab or what?

Also, what outfit is it you get in the CE guide? Is it the Art of War one?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

RoboJoe posted:

This is a rather stupid question and but I'm wondering about something.

Anyone in the UK here who bought Lightning Returns, can you look at the back of game box and at the barcode in the bottom right, and see if it says "NOT FOR SALE IN THE UK" just above the barcode. It doesn't really mean much but I'd appreciate you checking it out all the same for me.

I've got the steelbook from Game and I'm not seeing anything here.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

If you go to the Wildlands, there's an outfitter close to the station who sells some garbs that come with upgraded versions of the basic elemental attacks. They're all reasonably cheap and for this stage in the game, fairly powerful. Invest in at least one or two of them (definitely get the one with Aero, wind seems to be harder to find than the others) and start using it.

As for blocking attacks, most of the enemies seem to have a good windup before striking. I'd love it if the game had some sort of warning for when to block (even if it's just a ! like in Vagrant Story), but sadly it's really just a case of learning to anticipate them or holding down block to minimise the damage.

For what it's worth, I'd consider playing on Easy: it feels like the game was balanced with regenerating HP post-battle, and for my money, it plays slightly better that way.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Do elemental attacks like Sparkstrike draw from attack or magic? Not sure which garb I want to be putting them on.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I'm hoping there's a proper Colosseum DLC along the line. That was one of the biggest disappointments in XIII-2, the fact that the cool arena and guardian was a gigantic cocktease for some DLC. I still bought it, but I was shaking my fist as I did so :argh:

Saint Freak posted:

Making the main character an emotionless straight-man in a world filled with All Of The Animes was the best decision ever.

'I am pretty sure sheep don't lay eggs' :what:
'Oh no, you saw through my disguise' :geno:

:smugjones: "Meowmeowchocochow."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Gerblyn posted:

Have the reviews been that bad? Apart from the rather incoherent plot, most of the reviews I read seemed positive. I think I only read Eurogamer and IGN though...

I have to say I think it's very well done, and I really like some of the ideas behind the design. Like the way you can farm monsters for EP, to stop time and put off the inevitable apocalypse. If you do it too much though, then the monsters go extinct and you end up running through a dead world, devoid of life, and you realise that all you've really done is delay the inevatiable at the cost of exterminating whole species.

Most of the reviews I've seen boil down to 'Better than the first, worse than the second, still a long way from the glory days of the series', which is pretty accurate for my money. Interesting point about staving off the end of the world through more death though, hadn't thought of it that way.

Golden Goat posted:

After reading most of the responses here I'm thinking of getting this but should I finish the past two games for it all to make sense or is it good to just go ahead with this one?

Read a synopsis of the first game. You can do in less than an hour what it took the game about 40 to accomplish. In all honesty, you only need to understand a handful of key plot points and relationships to get the most out of the second game. For an interconnected trilogy, the latter two games stand surprisingly alone.

• Locked thread