Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Shove a series on Netlfix and skim the subtitles. XIII, as long as you're not a stubborn idiot manbaby like some people I've seen on Youtube and don't insist on manually choosing each attack, isn't that hard or taxing. Tedious at times, yes, but not hard. Especially once you grasp the battle and crafting system.

XIII-2 is much better designed for intermittent, short play sessions, but it does have a weird difficulty spike in the final dungeon. Not the final boss, mind you, just the dungeon.

EDIT: Hmm, another question, similar to the one I posed in the FF megathread... what if I get to day 13/14 (I think the only difference is having enough sidequests to unlock the secret dungeon?) but I don't finish all the main quests. I'm pretty sure I don't have time to do Fang AND Sazh's, because I was dumb and basically didn't touch each area until I was basically done with the last, so I didn't hit the Wildlands until like day 9. Do I still get the ending? Do I get a game over? Is the final boss just harder because I'm 'under-levelled'?

If you fail to complete all the main story quests, you get a "game over" when time runs out, and you're sent back to the first day with all your stuff to try again. Getting to the secret dungeon is impossible without completing all the main story quests anyways. It appears only on the final bonus day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Herr Direktor posted:

Do all the quests reset?

In a new game+ (either from failing, or beating the game) all quests reset, but if you beat the quest in a previous playthrough, the rewards change (generally that means more gil, less stat rewards).

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Keep in mind, as the days progress, monsters get stronger (specifically on Day 7, Day 12, and Day 13). So if there are any sidequests that require you to fight very difficult enemies (say Earth Eaters), it might be a good idea to knock those out earlier.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Chichu takes a long time to level up (farming power crystals hurray). If you just want to beat the game, get a Dragoon (COM) from Augusta Tower (300 AF I know they spawn, might come from other times), a Flanitor (MED) (again, Augusta Tower 300 AF), a Bunkerbeast (SEN) (Yaschas Massif 100 AF), and a Leyak (SYN) (Mog Throw while riding Enril). All of those monsters are relatively easy to cap (read: don't need crystals for the most part), and do a fine enough job to take you through the final boss. If you want a RAV, or a SAB (hint: don't use a SAB monster), just pick one with good HP growth.

Also, if you bought "Requiem of the Goddess," beating it with five-stars (relatively easy, and it doesn't depend on your party's stats), gets you Lightning as a COM, and she is a extremely strong COM, even without leveling her at all.

Systematic System fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 18, 2014

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

mikeraskol posted:

Does anyone have a good strategy for getting Earth Eaters down somewhat quickly? My god these things are a pain in the rear end to kill, I'm usually in no danger of death but it takes about 20 minutes.

It isn't a good strategy, but I use Cloud DLC + the sword you get from the Reaver Last One (Soldier of Peace might be better?) for Slayer, the Aero+ garb with the sword you get from one of the Wildlands Main Quests (Quick Stagger) and Deprotect/Deshell, and the last garb to be immune to magic attacks. Basically spam aero while perfect guarding the physicals, and eating the magical attacks in the garb immune to them. With Fang, I could kill them in about 2 minutes with one Overclock.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
The more monsters you drive to extinction, the more often you'll see them. I assume making them basically impossible to drive to extinction was partially so that there would always be something to fight.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Fun fact, if you do that quest, and then make Niblets extinct, you can go back to the entrance of the Industrial Area, and 30 more emblems will be sitting on the ground there.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
All the teleporters are either in the desert proper or the ruins you visit in the main storyline. I'd bet you're missing the teleporter for "Ruins - South Gate" which requires you to go up a passageway near a big gated-off area.

ShadeofDante posted:

I don't get the stagger system. I thought I did, but I really don't get it.

SO I'm on Day 10, trying to kill Earth Eaters to fully explore Dead Dunes. I've been told to "spam Aeroa" to stagger them. It doesn't work. Every time it gets them to the middle color, and then quickly drains back to nothing. I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious here but how the hell am I supposed to beat these guys?

Keep in mind that some of the stagger mechanics of the previous two games are still in play, albeit to a lesser degree. Basically, abilities that make the stagger wave go faster (elemental magic, beat down, the like), won't keep it wavering for long. Conversely, magic that hardly makes the wave move, helps stabilize it (ruin, attack, the like). If you have enough MA/good enough Aero magic, you can stagger Earth Eaters with just Aero straight, but if you're a little weaker, or your magic isn't very good, you might want to stabilize the wave with ruin between Aeros.

Systematic System fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 21, 2014

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

Regarding helper characters: In the Wildlands, do I lose Chocobodin after beating Caius? That would make me sad.

Also, still stuck on that boss. None of the schemas I've got set up seem to do enough damage/stagger (I did genocide the Ravagers so I have that sweet hot pick weapon), and the unblockable attacks take out half my HP bar. I'm tempted to come back later but I think I've done all the quests I can that don't involve having to wait until after that boss. I guess I should start futzing around the Dead Dunes since I'm only on Day 5.

Come back later: The Wildlands boss is definitely the hardest in the game till Day 7 (good news though, while all the other bosses get stronger on Day 7, the Wildlands one doesn't!).

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

Good to know on both accounts. Now, if I'm saved right before the boss' room, and I don't have enough EP to teleport...is there a way out or am I boned?

You can walk out, and it is pretty easy since that area you can just jump to the bottom. In the future, you can teleport straight from the entrance of the area to the boss arena (I know this because I also went to that boss wait too early).

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Purple Lightning/Blue Mage's unique spells change in potency based on your HP I believe. The lower your HP, the stronger the spells.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

The_Final_Stand posted:

I'm at 6AM on Day 12, and the only things left alive are Aeronite and Earth Eaters. Killing them all is, in fact, the only thing left to do at this point before endgame.

My issue is this: I cannot stagger Aeronite before he gets fed up and runs. I've never even got him into the red as far as staggering goes. It doesn't help that his Magnet doesn't have a clear wind up, so I tend to get dragged in and roared at which hurts like hell no matter how much I guard. On the other hand, I have like 5 ethers, so EP isn't an issue.

Given that the alternative is extincting Earth Eaters (gently caress those guys and their "no I don't care that you're blocking, you are taking all the damage and debuffs" attitude), and I have a whole day ahead of me to burn, what sort of setup would be recommended? I'm on Normal, have the XIII and XIII-2 imports and the FFVII DLC from a pre-order.

Regardless of your other two garbs, I highly recommend using the Miqo'te Dress as your damage dealer after he is staggered over Solider of Peace/Solider First Class. After four staggers, Aeronite is very weak to both magic and physical, and the Miqo'te Dress has "Magic Slash" which does both magical and physical damage.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

J-Spot posted:

Based on this, am I better off pursuing Dead Dunes first over The Wildlands? I'm about to start day 4 with the main quests for Luxerion and Yusnaan behind me and it seems like the game implies that The Wildlands would be the next place to go. I feel like I'm barely getting by as it is so I sure as hell don't need to make the game more difficult on myself by progressing to the wrong area too early.

The Dead Dunes has stronger enemies (well one specific enemy: Earth Eater), but a much easier boss than The Wildlands. Also the last dungeon in the Wildlands has a gimmick which can be rough if you're unprepared (Your health drains constantly while in the dungeon). I personally did all the stuff in the Dunes and the Wildlands before-hand, and then did both bosses on Day 6.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Fedule posted:

Is there actually a way to not die to that? I always just wrote it off as "welp, time to burn another Phoenix Down". Can you perfect guard it or something?

Meteor's damage is reduced solely by guard defense. Its really telling you: hey kill this monster before he fucks you up. He'll keep going until he summons 15 meteors at a time.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
I exterminated the apes before I went into the temple because they are assholes without a chocobuddy to back you up. (Unfortunately this turned out to be a bad idea, as they're the sole source of thunderaga besides a few chests).

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

abaddonis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNnHMZe-t_E

Did I just watch a no-damage Caius on hard mode fight? Jesus

That is definitely not Caius. Its the boss in Yusnaan after Day 12, Snow++.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

McDragon posted:

Wait, some of the bosses have ++ versions as well? Welp, add one more playthrough to get everything I guess. If I ever go all crazy completionist on this game anyway. Will probably at least go do the Platinum, there's just a bit of busywork really.

Luxerion's boss has a + version, if you fight him past Day 7. Yusnaan's, has both + and ++, Day 7, and Day 12 respectively. Dead Dunes' boss changes if you fight it past Day 7, but it only gets slightly stronger. And if the final boss has a + version if you fight him on day 14.

In general, the + versions of bosses drop better versions of the weapons you from fighting their normal versions. They also have doubled stats all around, and different AI/move sets.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

I suppose I should have mentioned I'm done all the main quests, and am pretty darn rich (130,000 gil), so I'll check it out. Thanks.

Ahahaha, ahahah. As you'll find out, 130,000 gil unfortunately seems to not very much money as the game progresses. Monsters do start dropping more gil though as time progresses, and then into hard mode.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
I suggest not buying weapons/shields in general, unless there's something specific you need it for. The shields that are sold in the research camp in the Wildlands (Ghostly Bloom, and something very french for its second tier), and upgraded rods/lances are highly recommended though (no rod from a Last One, and the best lance is only on NG+).

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
The Guide says Artemis Arrow increases the power of heavy slash by 2.50x. Not sure if that's directly added to your Heavy Slash's power, or if its multiplied. No way to tell in game though, unfortunately.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
I really hope we get some brutally difficult DLC bosses. I've really enjoyed the battle system so far, but nothing has taken me more than two or three tries to figure out.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
FFXIII-2 did get fairly extensive DLC, for more than a year after release. That's the only reason I have any hope.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
The shops in Ruffian open up when you find a gate and you need to go do poo poo to open it. It'll be really obvious when it happens.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Finally had a chance to beat the game. Final boss was fairly challenging, but its too bad the best song is saved for his easiest/shortest last form. You'd think a thirteen minute long song would be used for the entire fight. The ending cinematics were pretty, but fairly silly, as expected. I must say I appreciated that Lumina wasn't actually Serah in the end. The way it played out was cute. Very silly, but cute.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Aurain posted:

The line of shields with flowers on top and good ATB recovery have the same maxed stats when upgraded. The 500k one is no better than the 4k one. That's a real player troll and a half.

That's true for all the classes of weapons/shields. The main benefit to getting more expensive shields/weapons are you need to upgrade them less. So, you get a choice between farming gil or farming upgrade material.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Also keep in mind, when you fight monsters in chaos zones, abilities they drop have a chance to have special auto-abilities, usually the best quality that auto-ability can have. So for monsters you want abilities from, it'd be a good idea to not exterminate (or kill that many of them) till you've unlocked the highways, where chaos zones spawn frequently.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Honestly, I don't even think that's a cheesy way to do it. I think the developers intended it. Always gotta have one boss with a stupid gimmick to win.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
I don't know where it talks about combos (for example, when you cast tier two spells, you cast two regular ones and then do a backflip for the finale which does about twice as much damage/stagger. Its most notable for the Soul of Thamasa/Locket Necklace which let you do a extra finale for magic and physical attacks respectively.), but perfect timing is explained. You probably noticed when the game dings, that's a perfectly timed guard/attack.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
The only indication is when you redo a quest, if you've done it already, is the rewards change. Specifically, you get more gil, no adornment, and less stat bonuses.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

S-Alpha posted:

Is there a decent way to scam myself some (Turbo) Ethers? I blew everything I had on Day 12 spamming Aeronite to death, and now that I'm moving on to superboss #2, I've just got one Turbo and one regular Ether.

Similarly, when fighting the boss of the Ultimate Dungeon, I'm told poison is effective, but it seems to last just a few seconds at best, even with a level 3. Is there a better option I'm missing?

For the Ultimate Lair's boss, poison does only last a few seconds, but it still does tremendous amounts of damage. The only ways to extend its duration is to use higher tier poisons, or the Femme Fatale weapon, or have debuffs with auto-abilities that extend debuff duration.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Ideally, you'll want to stagger him once in COM stance, wait for RAV stance, and then stagger him again, and kill him. If you push him too far in COM stance, he'll never switch to RAV, and he's much harder to stagger twice in COM stance for a newer player. Be sure to perfect guard Megaflare as well, since that is pretty easy to do.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
And what was your score after that? I'm finding the most enjoyable part of the game, for me so far, is winning really hard bosses without using items or EP. It certainly seems easy to cheese all the bosses with ethers and overclocking repeatedly, but winning without using any items/EP, and getting a high score is drat satisfying.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I finally got cracking on the final day, and I have to say I'm really surprised at the jump in difficulty in the normal encounters. Before I was feeling all full of myself because I was genociding even the meanest monsters without breaking a sweat, but now I can't even stagger these monsters. I think I've become over-reliant on Jump for that, so I guess I'll have to rethink things and go back to other conventional stagger methods.

Keep in mind, the final day also has the final difficulty increase, which, if you got the optional day as well, is a pretty big increase in difficulty. That being said, those archangel guys made me say gently caress it and just make myself immune to magic.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

UselessLurker posted:

My favorite part of the final day was getting 3X Anubis spawns every five seconds right on top of the damned shopkeepers outside. :argh:

Actually no, my favorite part was the Doom counter that goes away after you blast the first (and easiest) form of robogod. What was the point of that?

Its a test of do you understand the most fundamental battle mechanic, can you stagger this guy? His + form does more dooming/gives you less time to stagger him.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Welp, I beat the final boss and got the rare weapon drop first try, only to realize I forgot to extinct the drat Chimeras like an idiot.

Be sure to throw that up on the Outerworld service. You don't lose it or anything. Also a good idea to do it with Bladed Lances, and Gagnrads (since you can't get more than one normally), and ethers, turbo ethers, and elixirs.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Specifically it is the @LRXIII NPC which says "Outerworld Challenge #1." Unfortunately SE seems to rotate what the NPCs say, so you might be out of luck now. Your best shot is to make a throw-away facebook account, link it to your Outerworld, and then use that to summon @LRXIII NPCs till you get the right one.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Gerblyn posted:

Do you get better rewards or something if you beat main quest bosses after day 7 in hard mode? I'm not very good at the game, and some of them gave me enough of a hard time in normal mode that I'm not sure I can be bothered to fight version who have 9 times as many hitpoints or whatever it its.

Luxerion's main boss gives a better weapon if you beat him later, and if you unlock Day 14, the final boss becomes his plus form, with a higher drop rate on his weapon otherwise its just more gil. Bosses don't actually get stronger on Day 7/12/13 like regular enemies do. They have a specific pattern, depending on the boss. For example, Luxerion's boss goes from base 230k HP to 800k hp on Day 7 (then times three for hard mode), but doesn't get stronger on day 12 or 13. The Wildlands boss never gets stronger as time passes, etc.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Duelist was unlocked earlier today.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
If you really did do all but two side quests then you would have unlocked it. How many quests did you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
I wish the game would tell you before the Final Day if you had. Its very silly that they make you wait/give no indication.

• Locked thread