Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
In spite of your self-deprecation in the main FF thread, that's a great OP and covers pretty much everything that anyone wanting to pick up the game might be interested in. Nice job! There is a small typo in the thread title (Returns).

You didn't mention spoiler policy so I've spoilered the specifics of my comment.

The only quest I've managed to gently caress up so far is the one with the girl looking for her green Carbuncle doll. You can actually get a red one, and if you give it to her she goes batshit crazy. As far as I know, the rewards don't provide a major boost so I'm not that fussed. I'll maybe restart when my guide finally arrives. It's been stuck in a Purolator facility for 3 days. :smith:

e: You might want to add some discussion of how to optimize Schemas; you had some good stuff in the other thread.

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Smornstein posted:

There are one man bands in Lusnaan that play various pieces from the series one of them is battle on the big bridge i love this game already.

Yeah the random dudes scattered around playing the guitar are a nice touch. The sound is directional so it just sort of pops up when you're running past them. If you want to listen, just start a convo with someone in range so your time doesn't run.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

SoulChicken posted:

I remember back in the days the FFXIII thread was huge as we shared our love of killing tortoises. I wonder if I should read anything in to this thread being only two pages so far! For some reason I'm nervous about dropping $60 on this one, I'm torn.

It's being sold for $40, so you'll never need to drop $60 on it. My bad, I confused with x/x2 remake.

Nyeehg posted:

To clarify, my issue was that I hadn't received a code. I didn't realise that amazon doesn't ship a paper insert, they just emailed a code to me. Sorry about that.

I'm still not sure about the costumes from playing the demo though. I'm guessing I link up the Facebook account I used for the demo and all is well?

The Demo costume, as well as any costumes you get from having a XIII or XIII-2 save show up in the Outerworld section of the Barter Shop once you get past the tutorial. The one you get for the demo is the Siegfried suit and it's not bad for early game. I suspect it will fall behind other options in a day or two though as it's not specialized enough.

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 14, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

God lord I don't know if they could've made this guide any more chaotic. The page I'm looking at right now cites now fewer than 5 other pages you have to flip to because none of the useful information is actually on this page, as well as requiring you to have the giant map poster unfolded and on hand.

Anyways the guide came with a 360 code for some outfit so someone can have it (are 360 codes seriously like a million characters?):

QW7XX-DHMTP-X3M34-RMHTY-HMTTZ

Mine just arrived and while I haven't read it yet, this makes me sad because the guides for the first two games were among the best I've ever had for any game. The only one that's been close was probably the guide I got for Metal Gear Solid 4 when it first came out. I usually need to supplement with gamefaqs or whatever but didn't need to do that at all on XIII and XIII-2.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

McDragon posted:

Am I just poo poo at working out how to fight things or did I end up somewhere I wasn't supposed to? Ended up in the Warrens on the first day and the robots and robot bugs took ages to kill and took gently caress-all damage most of the time. Did manage to pick up a Thundara and Sparkstrike and they seem pretty good, but only really used them on regular crap enemies so I don't know how much better they are. Oh, ended up with Red Mage and a bunch of good things in the Ark too.

Also, please shut the gently caress up about the stupid loving numbers Hope. Then kill yourself you stupid annoying little prick. Should have let the God-Robot murder you. Does he ever just gently caress off and let you do stuff without going on and on about inane bullshit? Or can you turn his volume off at all?

They're both weak to lightning, and the robot (not the bug) will stagger instantly if you perfect time its charge. If you can't do that, spam thunder and/ or thundara, block its charges, and do physical attacks once it shoots past you. You can also do physical attacks for extra damage / stagger when it's open and charging its laser cannon. Sparkstrike is particularly good for this. Once it's staggered, do heavy physical attacks like Relentless Assault from the Siegfried suit or Slayer from the Cloud suit if you have them. One Slayer attack will do >10,000 dmg during stagger if you have the suit set up right. I don't remember the special stagger conditions of the Meonekton off the top of my head.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

chumbler posted:

On a side note, I submitted a score for the demo but didn't get the special garb from it. Doesn't show up in the reward barter thing. It's not that big of a deal, just kind of annoying that I must have messed something up somewhere.

Maybe try posting a picture/message thing from the pause menu as well to make sure you generated an outerworld profile?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

I too have an xbox dlc code to give away:

WTH23-27VC7-YKWKH-QD2JG-P6R7Z

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

So anyways, playing through the demo and submitting your score is supposed to get you two extra outfits, right?

Just one, I think Siegfried.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

I got 5 stars on the Shadow Hunter fight on my first try, but they're small red stars rather than the big gold ones you get for the beating the tutorial boss. Do the smaller stars mean something different?

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 17, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Yeah I've had a few that were snarky when going around in one suit (can't remember which suit). Stuff like "what is she wearing?".

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Fedule posted:

In my greed for EP I accidentally hunted a species to extinction.

I don't know how I feel about this.

Yeah, in order to skate through Luxerion without losing a day I killed a lot of the dog things on that long causeway on the southeast of the map. You can kill them slightly faster than you use up their EP so they were good for building up my EP bar before the end. Triggered the final boss fight at 05:55; 100 dog things died to get me there. Oddly still says they're 'common'.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

LegionAreI posted:

This game really has some neat little touches - in the middle of hitting peak JRPG in the Yusnaan storyline, you need to do some stuff in the arena. The best little touch is that when you win some fights in there, the audience sings the FF victory theme. :3:

Semi-spoiler if you care about that type of thing: http://youtu.be/j_Q0FFrwdqw?t=44s

I can only hope that's not you who posted the pic to Outerworld with 'PERFECT BOOBS' in that video.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Mischitary posted:

Beat every single main quest line and I'm on the 6th day, I think, or something around there. Now, am I correct in my assumption that to beat the game you have to get to the 13th day?

So does that mean I should've rationed tha main quests better since they each give you one extra day? I did two in one day one time.

Nah, just spend the rest of the days committing genocide / side quests and looting hot pink gear. If you get all that done you can just sleep at a hotel until the bonus dungeon day and/or final day.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

McDragon posted:

It's a shame it takes such a long time to upload pictures to the Outerworld thing. And annoying how difficult it is to grab them. I've had lots of fun taking goofy pictures but it would be so much better if it was faster and easier to get at them. Anyway, I persevered, so here's some snaps.

Pics

So how do you get at them? I've uploaded a few that I'd like to keep but can't figure out how to review / export them.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

McDragon posted:

Well, the way I did it was to link a Facebook account in the settings, went to the Lightning Returns page (I think there's a link on the Square Enix one), wrestled with the app for a bit, and they all popped up at the bottom of the screen after a bit of fiddling about. As far as I can tell you can't actually download them unless you take a screenshot. Anyway, apparently it only saves the last 100 you took, and I'm pretty sure battle rankings count towards that too.

Oh, it had all the ones I took before linking it as well, which was nice.

Dunno if there's an easier way, but that's how I did it.

Does it poo poo up your whole Facebook profile with final fantasy images though? Don't really want to spam my friends with nerd posts.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

McDragon posted:

I think XIII-2 had one of those too.

gently caress that guy, he's a giant rear end in a top hat.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

I got 5 red stars on a boss the other day instead of the usual big gold ones. Anyone know what that means?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Am I the only person super-sad about the removal of backwards compatibility? Basically the only reason I don't already have a ps4 is that I don't need a second system cluttering up my living room. I bought an early PS3 so it has backwards compatibility with my embarrassingly large library of both PS1 and PS2 games.

(Sorry for the derail)

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Aurain posted:

Backwards Compatibility hasn't really been a thing since the early PS3 days. Discounting Nintendo consoles, thankfully. Though their draconic region locking is probably worse than no backwards compatibility for me.

The PS4 is going to get that Playstation Now, but that's probably going to be a wreck and you'll have to rebuy things you already have to play them.

I think having a bunch of consoles in your room is inevitable. Or at least stored somewhere safe for when you want to play them.

I'm still entitled to be butthurt about it. :colbert:

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So i finally beat Caius last night after saving him for last and oh my god IT WAS ALL FOR NOTHING,THANKS SAVOIR! at least he gave me an awesome weapon to go along with Helter Skelter being extremely overpowered physically. I guess it's time to just do random sidequests for the next 4 days since that was all of the main plot.

Also thank god for the return of Crazy Chocobo, even if i can't beat the dude that's carrying it. :(

I still can't find Helter Skelter. I've talked to a bunch of @LRXIII chars or whatever and it hasn't appeared in Outerworld services yet. Anyone know if there's a hidden trigger or specific @LR char to talk to?

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 5, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

That's a good idea, thanks.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

abaddonis posted:

Have you checked the Outerworld Rewards section of the rewards barter shop in the menu? I never talked to the LRXIII people specifically about it, but the helter skelter garb was there when I looked.

Yep, I think it's the issue noted above re having not talked to the specific @lrxii char. Looks like I'll have to make up that dummy Facebook account after all (also to grab my own photos).

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Nerd cred is important ok

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

I just got back into this and just got the shard blade from a Reaver. I thought Cloud's sword was ridiculous, but man. Now I can't wait to get the pink one.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Instant Grat posted:

This game is pretty incredible because unless I am mistaken, it is the first Final Fantasy game for 14 years that lets you play as a female character who wears pants

On the other hand, there are also dresspheresschema which are teeeeny tiny bikinis, and Lightning got an obvious boob job since the last game.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

I have actually used the Siegfried outfit a tonne. I also coloured it the deepest black you could make it and it looks even more awesome.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Anyone know what the difference between red and gold stars are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Well, that too.

Pumpkinhead McGee, saviour of the world is optimal. I'm hoping the PC release had someone mod it so every character wears a pumpkin.

You know that what will actually happen is that someone will mod it so that everyone wears the bondage bikini. :negative:

• Locked thread