Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

How do I get Meonektons to appear in Luxerion? I've seen a grand total of two, and I only need one more for the noticeboard quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ah right. Thanks dude.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I forgot to pick up the weapon the Luxerion boss drops.
It's gone until NG+ now, I'm assuming?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ah, poo poo. I'm not sure why Squeenix decided it'd be a good idea to put their drops in the world instead of the battle drops like everything else, but oh well, I know now. Square works in mysterious ways.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I just got a bunch of Shard Blades from the Behemoths at the start of the Wildlands. They're a tad awesome.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

My copy was finally delivered, and I'm really enjoying this so far. I'd probably be getting my rear end kicked if I wasn't playing on Easy, and I still suck at swiching to my defensive schema in time, but I'm getting better.

Regarding the time limit: again, I'm on Easy, but I've been playing for 4 1/2 hours and just finished day 1 (which is much shorter than all the other days you get, for people who haven't played yet). Chronostatis spam let me explore Luxurion pretty thoroughly, and activated several teleporters in the Dead Dunes.

I guess I haven't been paying close attention, but it seems like playing on Easy restores a bit of health after battle, but not all of it? Or does it just regenerate your health while out of battle? Because I was coming out of fights in the Dead Dunes still at critical health and had to burn a few EP on Curagas instead of Chronostasis.

Use Potions to cure. There's not much point in using Curaga unless you're almost dead in a really close and important/long fight and most things will give you the 360 gil you need to replace it, not many will give you the EP to cover it early.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Is there a good place to spawn Niblets to wipe them out for that Yusnaan quest?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Alright, thanks. I did the Death Safari, so I guess it's a matter of time now.
I got the Reaver's exterminated. (Holy poo poo is that weapon ugly), and the Dryad's too. Shame about the Reaver's though because they were an enjoyable fight.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

tonedef131 posted:

Oh so if they aren't all done by the end of day 7 I just lose the game?

The bosses get buffed after day seven.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm actually surprised at how good the game-play is for LR. It didn't twig for me in the demo, though. It's just Character Action games had a baby with Final Fantasy and this is probably the best way to mix those two that isn't Kingdom Hearts.

The story sure is a thing that someone did, put it that way.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Is it me or does Chronostasis get shorter when you use it repeatedly, or is it a random amount of time frozen each time?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I've not seen a single one yet. Anyone know if this is a limited-time grab or what?
I think it may be down. I wasn't able to upload snapshots, and I didn't see a single outerworld character in 5 or so hours of play earlier.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The_Final_Stand posted:

what sort of setup would be recommended? I'm on Normal, have the XIII and XIII-2 imports and the FFVII DLC from a pre-order.

I used the thing that gives you Artemis' Arrows with Heavy Slash lvl 3 maxed out (and as much +STR abilities as I could get on there), Quiet Guardian with Deprotect and Deshell set up to be magic immune, and Dragoon (-5% needed to stagger enemies) with Thundara, the Soul of Thamasa to give it two combo finishers and the Quick Stagger sword.

I then took a bunch of Phoenix Downs with me, depleted the Dragoon's ATB with Thundara, and overclocked to do more damage and recharge the ATB to get him staggered 4 times and plinked away with Artemis' Arrows when it was down. It wasn't clean and I only just made it, but this is how I did it on Day 10 on Normal. The more ether/elixir you have, the more you can overclock and you can do it more easily then. You need to be good at switching back to your magic immune schema as to not die, but you should get it down eventually.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

My brother and I have uploaded an Elixir Outerworld message at Luxerion South Station, so if you're looking for one of those go check that area out.

Keep running around the station, and run up to Ranulph and back if it doesn't appear. My character is same as this, my brother's is Boulala.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Does the +100% status effect damage effectively double the HP drain of Poison?
I'm just wondering if it's worth taking to Ereshkigal to make the fight quicker.

Not because I think I'm pressed for time, just for the sake of it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

dinnerrollofdoom posted:

How is this game?

I have avoided review sites just because I don't like how commercial things have gotten in the past few years.

I played FFXIII quite a bit, couldn't finish it just because of the linearity of the game, I have heard from friends this is better?

It's basically open from the start. You need to do 5 main missions to finish the game and you'll want to do sidequests too, but if linearity is your main concern, then it shouldn't be an issue here.

Artemis' Arrow really isn't very good. People like Whirlwind Kick because you can out damage Artemis' Arrow with it easily when you're perfect timing it. You can see people hitting the Dead Dunes Superboss for 500k a hit with it.

My main gripe with this game is that I can't unlock or upgrade the baked in skills on garbs. I wouldn't care if it meant I had to pay a big fee or use a rare item drop, I don't want to have to use ugly as hell outfits like Helter Skelter purely because its baked in skill isn't garbage, or things like the XIII-1 outfit because it doesn't have a bad baked in skill.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Feb 25, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fedule posted:

Here's a thing that I think should be told to more people:

Share your Ethers and Turbo Ethers, people! Post something, anything, to Outerworld and attach an Ether/Turbo to it. You don't lose items you share! People make a lot of fuss about Elixirs and yes Elixirs are awesome, but they cost like 360,000 gil and gently caress that poo poo. Ethers/Turbos cost like 2800/5600 gil and really help people out.

Similarly, if you see someone selling Ethers/Turbos be sure to cheer them.

I've never even had a Turbo Ether, but the reason people want Elixir is purely so they can buy it for 360k, get the trophy and then reload. Time not spent Soul Seed farming is time well spent.

I've exterminated every last one, including the Chimera Omega which was a bit of a pain and unexpectedly difficult for what it was.

Next stop, final boss, who I am expecting to be a bit of a push over. When I can be bothered. :effort:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I did it, it was easy. The third form was lamest because of the incessant juggles which are just grating.

E: Seems like EP is actually going to be a factor you need to pay attention to on Hard mode. At first glance, it seems that every EP reward is halved again from what it is on Normal. Interesting.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 25, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Not massively so. The level 3 skills are cool, but they're not vitally important. The skills you've got during your planet wide genocide should suffice if you combine them with the ones you're yet to get from the enemies you haven't wiped out.

I've just got my platinum, finishing the platinum collection for the XIII trilogy and the most masochistic thing I've ever done.

:ssh:I enjoyed them all actually:ssh:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, you can. It's probably the beat way to go about it technically. A level 3 Blitz you raised from level 1 will have a lower ATB cost than a level 3 dropped one. The auto ability will be worse in all likelihood but apparently you can mess around with those somehow. It seems more metagaming tactics than anything else though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Note that that's definitely not something necessary to do in a normal playthrough and probably not even super necessary on hard, but it's an option for if you really want to min/max. However, if you do decide to do this, it helps to plan it out, otherwise you'll end up like me and have to do a second run through normal because you extincted the stupid thunder monkeys that end up being the only source of Thundara, Thundaga, and Electric Blitz (among other things).

I love Electric Blitz so much. I killed the Yusnaan boss on Hard (not + version) in 20 seconds with it because I was hitting him for 400,000.
I'm sure the other elemental blitzes own as much, but I don't have good ones of those yet.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The rare shop is entirely random and can move once an hour, he might move out of the zone you're in and he might even be in the Warren during the day. If you want to try and force it, go to Poltae, save, sleep at the inn and sleep in hour increments until he shows up just outside that inn, and if you think you've wasted too much time, reload.
Locations here.

Schwartzcough posted:

It's really disappointing how poor the reviews and sales for this game have been. I think it's really a step in the right direction for their game design, but knowing SE's over-reactionary responses to critical reception, they'll never do something like this again.

Honestly, I think it's partly an issue with hating on FFXIII is the expected thing, and FF to a lesser degree, regardless of what the games actually do well. LR isn't a GOTY contender by any means, it has a dumb story but the gameplay is solid and the OST is still good. It's a solid 7 or 8 in a real 10 scale sense. Not the game journalist 7 = bad, 8 = not good, 9 = pretty good, 10 = average scale.

USgamer ran an article the other day along the lines of "Was FFXIII really that bad" which presented a reasoned look at what it actually did well. It was met with derision and "lol, yes it was xD" kind of comments. It's a shame that reviews dictate so much because reviewers are awful with poo poo opinions.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

After reading most of the responses here I'm thinking of getting this but should I finish the past two games for it all to make sense or is it good to just go ahead with this one?

XIII-2 is pretty cool and pretty fun. XIII is fairly disconnected from LR, XIII-2 is more closely linked.

Lightning Returns will never, ever make sense though. It's probably the best of the three games to play, but maybe XIII-2 has the better plot. They're all gobbldigook basically though.
There are no Tonberries or Long Gui/Adamantoises to fight in LR though. :(

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Saint Freak posted:

Maybe you shouldn't have killed them all in XIII farming for the trapezohedrons or whatever they were. Never occurred to you that there were a finite number of enemies, did it?

I wouldn't have had to kill all of them if they would just give me the drat trap. If they were more generous with their belongings, they'd have survived. :argh:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The line of shields with flowers on top and good ATB recovery have the same maxed stats when upgraded. The 500k one is no better than the 4k one. That's a real player troll and a half.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Systematic System posted:

That's true for all the classes of weapons/shields. The main benefit to getting more expensive shields/weapons are you need to upgrade them less. So, you get a choice between farming gil or farming upgrade material.

I suppose it means you can choose your favourite stuff aesthetically too, which is neat.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It was less so in XIII, but XIII's super boss was also one of those flying Cieth with a huge weakness to poison so it's definitely intended.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Academia 400 really isn't that bad. The fights are frequent and give no reward, but they're absolutely effortless and the area is short and simple to navigate. You can be done with it in 30 minutes. There's no reason for the enemies to be there in that number, but it'll never be the worst area in FF considering the fact that FF8's desert prison is a thing. As is the Lunatic Pandora. And that prison where you can't use magic in FF9. And the Via Infinito. And the FF8 sewer in Deling City. And that bit where you need to jump on that green pole in FF7.

Man, FF8 has a lot of poo poo areas.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 28, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

She's in France, so that is pretty unlikely the intended reading. It's probably supposed to be Serah.
Ending stuff still:
Considering the dialogue suggests that the team were separated when they went to earth, would it be fair to assume that Dajh and Sazh got split up too? The universe does seem to hate our baby chocobo wielding pal. :smith:

Caius is actually pretty good for a Final Fantasy character. His motivation isn't entirely stilted, he's voice acted pretty well because Liam O'Brian is pretty good. He won in his debut game too, which is a nice change.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I was just fighting Aeronite on Hard mode. He flew off with around 500k of his 36 or so million HP left. That's one Magic Slash combo finish and he's down.

The next time I used an Ether and had an overclock spare to wipe him out, but that first fight stung.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Turns out the statues in FF6? All Etro.
Jenova? Etro summoned her by accident.
The entire Sorceress cycle was because Etro took pity on a human. The Great Hyne is just a corruption of her name.
Don't even get me started on FFX.

Who greenlit Final Fantasy 2? Etro :argh:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Backwards Compatibility hasn't really been a thing since the early PS3 days. Discounting Nintendo consoles, thankfully. Though their draconic region locking is probably worse than no backwards compatibility for me.

The PS4 is going to get that Playstation Now, but that's probably going to be a wreck and you'll have to rebuy things you already have to play them.

I think having a bunch of consoles in your room is inevitable. Or at least stored somewhere safe for when you want to play them.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Saint Freak posted:

Really the best solution is to buy a PS4 and a PS3 and Lightning Returns, and then play the game on your PS3 using your PS4 controller like a king among men.

Edit: While also remote-playing something else through your PS4 via the Vita you bought.

My DualShock 4 didn't work on Lightning Returns for whatever reason.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tempo 119 posted:

You can't have a problem, you solved all the problems in the entire world.

Counterpoint: Noel's fashion sense still exists.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

PunkBoy posted:

Yusnaan's boss gets stronger after Day 7 and Day 10.

As does Luxerion's and the Dead Dunes (marginally) on Day 7. Only Yusnaan's has two ++ forms however.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Do 'em on NG+ Hard Mode. They're probably easier than usual because you'll be a murder machine by then.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

On day 7 onwards you can get level 5 abilities for huge damage boosts over new game's abilities. Extinct the Cactuars for fat stacks of Gil to upgrade your weapons, and don't be afraid to redo the cycle to do it again and again by speaking to the hour glass. Once you have good abilities and good weapons, Aeronite Hard or anything else are just a matter of tweaking strategies, rather than difficult.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

It's weird, because Hills CAN emote, she does it a lot in the Mass Effect games, and I get that Lightning is supposed to be kinda stoic, but god, there's a way to do that without being monotone.

Sorry, but Liara is not a good example of literally anything. She's just as monotonous and dull in all three Mass Effect games. Jennifer Hale is equally bad as Ali Hillis in Mass Effect, and she's a voice actor who is better than her ME performance suggests. BioWare are just not good.

Except Wrex, naturally.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's cool. As long as you agree that Wrex is the best, because he quite clearly is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nope, do around 40 to 45 side quests and you should get it on your first play. You can basically one cycle platinum this game and finish everything, excluding the upgrading gear trophies thing which is negligible and one side quest.

• Locked thread