Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

This game is great. I was a little concerned about the time limit at first, but it is definitely manageable. I beat the Shadow Hunter, which was an incredibly exhilarating battle. So much strategy involved, and it required good timing of guards to instantly stagger him. Took me five tries, the final lasting eight minutes and giving me a whopping score of 1 point :lol: but I felt a sense of accomplishment and badassery that I haven't in a game in a long time.

I took care of most of the side quests in Luxerion, and am about to move on to Yusnaan, but I was wondering about the Born from Chaos quest. How early are people generally strong enough to beat it? Dude was taking like ~1500 off per hit when I fought him earlier and gently caress that noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

After losing to Caius a few times then changing around garbs a bit to fit the fight I managed to five star him on the first try. It's really awesome messing around with garbs and just dominating a tough boss.

Please spoiler that boss, thanks.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Phantasium posted:

I did that one immediately after the Shadow Hunter and did fine. You get a nice chunk of stats from the SH fight, and the preparation for that fight made me ready for it.

Yeah, I ended up beating him with judicious use of Heavy Guard and Thunder/Thundara/Sparkstrike. Staggering him with magic then hitting him in the head with Sparkstrike was brutal and owned pretty hard.

I farmed a bunch of Liquid Glass from those bug dudes because why the gently caress do they only appear from 4-6am? I have an extra ten or so, hopefully you don't need a million later on.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Everybody should check out today's TeeFury shirt.

It's Lightning themed.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Got to the Wildlands boss. What a dick! Didn't help that the dungeon before him is bullshit with your hp slowly draining. I had to waste several items that could've better been saved for the boss. He basically spams mega combos then ridiculous elemental bullshit attacks and I run out of healing items before I can win. I also wasted all my EP on Chronostasis like an idiot.

Luckily I saved before the temple so I can just start it over and be better prepared for the random encounters to preserve my health. gently caress those apes. I run from them and basically only fight the flan dudes. This time I'll equip a 50% fire protection accessory and the blizzard+ garb.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Mediguard.

The drain is slow, so being able to restore some HP in battle while you're waiting for your ATB to regen makes a huge difference. It works really well with spells that take a while to complete - I'd throw off a couple Elementas, then mediguard until they killed the enemy. Was usually good for 500 - 1K HP or so.

Good idea. Does it stack with regen? Because I have Shard Blades on 2/3 of my schematas. But I suck so bad I was still running out of hp!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Yes, I believe it does stack with regen.

Do people usually put all their magic on one schemata, all their physical attacks on another, and have the third all defense? Or mix it up? There's that accessory that reduces attack to nothing but protects against almost all damage , should I throw that on Paladin with mediguard for healing?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ImpAtom posted:

It's best to have dedicated schemata. You don't gain any benefit from mix and matching.

And yes, that accessory is insanely good. On certain Garbs it can literally make you immune to all physical damage.

I think this is my problem then. I'm gonna redo my schematas and report back.

Something like: magic garb w/one spell of each element or mixes, physical garb with some neutral attacks and some physical elemental strikes, one with purely defensive moves, maybe some debuffs?

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 25, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Trip report: completely smoked the boss of the Wildlands with an all magic/all physical/all defensive setup. Took very little damage. This is totally changing the way I am approaching my setup from now on.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Where do I get the pumpkin head? I need it.

Edit: I got to the Dead Dunes and joined a gang! But are there any other shops anywhere here? A forge? A sorcery shop? Is Ruffian the only place with any shops besides the station?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Hmm I already exterminated Niblets, Gremlins, Dryads, Rafflesia, Miniflan, and those rear end in a top hat monkeys. What awesome things am I missing out on? I'm about to start day 9.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yeah I have a few shard blades. The Last Reaver appeared but I haven't killed it yet. I meant in reference to guys dropping better poo poo on day 10, my bad. Am I missing out on all the thundagas from monkeys or what?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

McDragon posted:

Etro broke the bridge in Final Fantasy 1.

And the After Years was her idea.

The end boss of The After Years was actually Etro.

There, that ties together most of the 2D games with minimal effort.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Refused posted:

Lightning's definitely at her best when she lets the utter contempt for everyone around her shine through

Fang had it best when she said to Light, "If you had shouted, 'FANG!' and run up and hug me, I would have thought something was seriously wrong!" (paraphrased)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I have to say, I sure love fighting Desert Sahagins. I prefer my framerate under ten so it works out great

But seriously, what the gently caress?? Some sand particle effects slow the game to a crawl???

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Schwartzcough posted:

I've heard a bunch of people say this, but I never had the framerate completely tank while fighting them. Are you on Xbox or PS3?

Xbox. I played the first two games on it and wanted the extra bonuses, even though I now own a ps3.

I know the framerate and resolution of FFXIII was poo poo on Xbox compared to ps3, so I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing is happening here.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I thought the optional dungeon only appeared in ng+??

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Is Aeronite really hard? I was gonna tackle him after I exterminate all the monsters.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

He's a total dick. Is there a good strategy or setup for this? I have to spend so much time blocking I can't accumulate much on the stagger meter, even though I'm loving using a move with an A in stagger time

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ok well I decided to finish the Ultimate Lair before fighting Aeronite and gently caress dude, this guy is also pretty loving awful! I can't seem to stagger him quickly enough even though I'm using a combination of Heavy Slash and Thundara/Aerora which works ok but you basically have to hit him while he is doing certain attacks to even have a chance at staggering him which is super difficult. It's easy to hit him during Thundaga and Aeroga if you are far away, wait until he casts it, and then run in to avoid all the hits and hit him in the face. That's a good way to build stagger but he rarely uses those. It's always Grand Impulse which you need lightning loving reflexes to be able to take advantage of. Plus Resonance and rear end in a top hat meteors kill me basically every time. Is there a way to avoid those meteors? I got him down to really low health, he went into his final phase, I staggered him and spent my last two EP on Overclock in the hopes that I could Heavy Slash him to death. I got him super low and of course he used meteor and insta-killed me. Bullshit.

I'll go back to Aeronite after.

btw I am running Witching Hour with the two -ara spells plus Ruin, Soldier of Peace with Heavy Slash (which stays that way since the enemy is airborne) and Flamestrike, and Paladin with Heavy Guard/Poison/Deshell/Deprotect.

Maybe I should replace Paladin with Quiet Guardian?

EDIT: I have the weapon you get for beating the Wildlands on Witching Hour so I can stagger quicker, but they have to be all the way in the red for it to stagger which is still a pain in the rear end. That one also has the Iseult's Lament shield, maybe I should replace it with the one that has ATB+30? Maybe I should put that on Soldier of Peace, too...

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 10, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Do you get anything for beating hard mode? I know there aren't any achievements for it which boggles my mind :psyduck:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I'm in the final dungeon and I'm exterminating the Archangeli and monkey dudes during the brief moment that Fang is in my party. I assume that's what most people do? Also, I peeked ahead to see if I still had Fang after going through that door, will I get a chance to exterminate Chimera behind the optional doors?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Aurain posted:

Yes, and the two enemies you speak of cannot be wiped out for good until you progress the story a bit past the part you are at.

So I'm gonna keep killing them but the Last One won't show up? I think I have an idea of what's behind those doors now :v:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ok so I will kill enemies until the remaining number is the number you are forced to fight later? Then, once I finish that, I can go back to the room where I killed the Chimera to make it spawn 29 more times?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

According to this guide Chimera Omega only has 900k HP :confused:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I beat the game last night. The ending was awful and makes me like the game less. Seriously, that was the dumbest poo poo.

Didn't help that the end boss was a dick and had four forms and was a pain in the rear end to stagger. But hey, he dropped his lovely weapon :shepface: I hope he didn't drop money because I equipped the collectors catalog or whatever to get his lovely weapon to drop!!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Gologle posted:

I think the funny thing is, if this was another (better) game in another (better) game series, I honestly think I would like the ending.

Nah Xenoblade's ending was similar and it still sucked so I disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I laugh every time. gently caress the haters.

• Locked thread