Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

CowboyAndy posted:

I'll stick with Final Fantasy 6, thanks.

You're welcome.

I'm in the middle of day 4, having done both parts of Luxerion on day 2 and Yusnaan on day 3, and I've found the large cyclopses outside of the palace grounds an easy way to farm up EP. They don't move particularly fast, and their big attacks are stupidly telegraphed, and once you stagger them they have the defense of wet tissue paper. It takes maybe a minute per fight for two EP.

The only sidequest I've failed thus far is Louise's (:(), though I can't imagine the reward was anything particularly special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Farming EP is stupidly easy in the Wildlands once you (minor spoilers) get the white chocobo (who you should name, either, Chocobro, or Boco, and if you don't I will find you and kill you). Having a second party member, as limited as they are, trivializes basically every encounter, and staggering the big guys that like to spawn in the northeast section of the map is a joke. I've been in Day 4 for longer than I spent in Days 1-3 combined, though technically only like seven game hours have passed. Thanks, Chronostasis!

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

ImpAtom posted:

Ahaha, no. Not even a little accurate. Especially since You get Ultima Weapon and Ultima Shield from a sidequest right before the final boss which is hilariously powerful. Like twice the stats of the second strongest weapon available.

That reminds me, I like that the larger swords have a completely different animation set. It's just an aesthetic thing; there's no difference in timing between attacks, but I thought it was a nice touch to see Light put a little more oomph behind the giant hunk of metal I pilfered from a behemothreaver.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 14, 2014

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

InfinityComplex posted:

Behemoths oh god behemoths why are there so many behemoths go away i don't want you as a pet i want this chocobo as a pet.

Like seriously though, Behemoths are annoying to fight with how often they spawn. Despite the massive EP gain you get from them I think I prefer running from them than killing them out of annoyance.

You mean reavers? Because I jump for joy when they show up. I have them down to a science, it's actually a chance for me to abuse Mediguard and heal up to full HP.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Buhbuhj posted:

The lost moogle quest more than validates my purchase of this game.

Lightning's inner thoughts after it are amazing. It's too bad the world's ending so soon, moogle toss could catch on!

I've been hoofing it around the Dead Dunes, finding the Temple Ruins entrances and I only just realized that on my way back to the surface, I've been singing Snake Eater to myself. I don't think I'll ever be able to interact with a ladder without doing that for the rest of my life.

What a thrill...

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Fedule posted:

In my greed for EP I accidentally hunted a species to extinction.

I don't know how I feel about this.

Accomplished.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

TheReverend posted:

So I just played the demo and I thought it was silly (The beginning scene where she's on that tower and she says something clever and she does a quick 180 and she's wearing a pair of dumb silly glasses had my eyes roll so hard I saw my own brain stem) and I didn't understand any of it (even though I played 13 and 13-2) so my question is if you think 13-2 is "fun enough" would you suppose 13-3 would be "fun enough" for about 30 bucks?

Also I played this sober. What drugs are you guys taking to understand the plot (and how much should I take)?

I'm definitely getting my money's worth, and I paid $45 for the game. There's a few genuinely great shmaltz moments, but for the most part you should be laughing at the intentionally funny bits and laughing even harder at the unintentionally funny bits.

Also, the storyline in LR is magnitudes more simple than 13 or 13-2.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

The Grimace posted:

End game poo poo:

Just died on Bhunivelze's fourth form after using about four X Potions and two ethers. I was barely doing any damage to him and Heartless Angel kept wrecking me because I couldn't figure out how to escape the angels before they processed the attack. By the time I made it to the end, I don't think I made even a small dent in his HP. I'm not sure what the hell I'm doing wrong here- the previous forms were all no issue at all and suddenly I'm on the floor in my own pool of blood.

Changing up my garbs to make a schema built directly on Defense using Sacred Knight. If this doesn't work, I'm not sure what I'll do. I've got way more hours on this game than what you goons are suggesting the median is, yet I'm still having all of this trouble. What the gently caress.
:psyduck:

Endgame spoilers: Bhunivelze's fourth and final form is a stagger check. Really damaging attacks aren't all that necessary, as once you've staggered him you've essentially won. You'll want a mix of abilities with high stagger power and high stagger time, and switch between the two to make sure any stagger you've built up doesn't fall off, .e.g switch between Light Slash and regular Attack. Jump is useless, as any melee attack you do will put you in the air, which is something to keep in mind with defense; you need to land before you can guard, so get good with reading the tells for each attack. He's immune to all debuffs, so don't bother with those, and the only buffs useful to you are Protect, Shell, and Haste.

Hope this helps! I beat him earlier today, and that ending is... it's an ending, all right!

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Fedule posted:

God, the Last One weapons aren't just coloured hot pink, they actually ignore all in-engine lighting and are fully lit at all times. So even if you try to colour an outfit to coordinate with a hot pink sword it'll still clash if you're somewhere with any unusual lighting.

Who thought this was a good idea?!

There has to be some downside to them.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Unless you are extraordinarily terrible at managing time, you will not run out. I finished every main and (available) side quest by Day 8, and had five days to do Canvas of Prayers quests and in general just fart around (most of it was spent listening to Biggs and Wedge play FFVI's Terra's theme in Yusnaan). Hell, the last day and a half I just slept through because I had literally nothing left to do.

The clock will never truly limit you in any way,

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

ImpAtom posted:

Chronostatis seems to last longer sometimes because fights stop the clock and so you can go like twenty minutes without it wearing off in certain areas.

I sort of wish there were more options for Hard Mode. It'd be interesting to see one where the Bonus Dungeon mechanics were applied to the whole game as a challenge mode. Time passing during fights would probably make the clock feel a lot more meaningful.

(I'd bet that was the original plan and playtesters or someone complained about it. A lot of the "there's too much time" stuff would vanish entirely if the clock wore down while you were fighting.)

If time went about a third as fast during battles, I think that would be perfect. That'd probably have left me with half a day of nothing left to do, instead of four.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Sazh's was the best DLC because it was just gambling, and the reward was Sazh as by far the best Synergist "monster" in the game.

And you can put an afro on his afro.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The running theme across the FFXIII trilogy is "Etro fucks up (again)."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
You basically want to switch between stagger rate and stagger duration; throw Light Slash on one or two of your shemas and intersperse it through everything else to make sure stagger doesn't decay. Once you do get that stagger, you've won.

• Locked thread