Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I've been playing through the game for the past three days and overall enjoying it, though the game is bitchingly hard at first. It seems as though a lot of the beginning of the game is really about gradually building up Lightning's stats by doing chores until she's strong enough to take on the main quest. I'm on day... 9 or something now, and have atleast 30 hours in the game thanks to abusing Chronostasis like a chump.

Something that irks me is that it doesn't seem as though the various schemata Lightning can find don't seem to be able to level up? I mean, you can level up the separate abilities, but the ones specifically attached to the costumes themselves aren't able to be boosted, unless I'm missing something entirely. A real pain if you're like me. I'm actively trying to stick only with costumes I like, so I've stuck with the Equilibrium costume as my main for the whole game thus far, minus a few times where I've switched to the all-around upgrade "Nocturne" garb when I reach bosses.

I've done pretty much every main story event available to me thus far, aside from Caius at the top of the Tower of Etro. I've killed probably around six Last Ones so far, and most enemies don't give me trouble... except for big ones like Cyclops and Chocobo/Earth Eaters. Hitting the sweet spot and defending from their attacks at the right times is pretty painful, and if I fail, I take a ton of damage once they've gone enraged. I'm assuming a lot of that is because I have not restarted the game through any sort of New Game+, so I'm running on the bare minimum stat fumes.

I'm definitely enjoying the game. It's much better than FFXIII since it actually feels like I'm making progress when I play the game, even if it's very slow. Even so, I'd definitely say that $60 is too much to pay. The NPCs in the game exude cheapness, just like XIII-2. As with that game, it's like even though they knew they needed to have a ton of models for the massive amount of quests they wanted to add to the games' plotlines, they didn't want to do the work to make them all interesting. Every unimportant guy in the game pretty much has the same face with barely any articulation and the same wonky emotes, just different transplanted hair. That said, the open world aspect is definitely improved, and the Wild Lands and Dead Dunes are really fun to run around.

I don't want to make it sound like I'm making GBS threads on the game. It's fun, but it's nothing incredibly special. Some things are a step backward from XIII-2, and others are a step forward. It's not a great game, but it's not a bad game. I do like the battle system a lot though, and when I don't feel as though I'm undergeared, I'm having a great time working out strategies. It's probably the game's greatest strength. I'd say it's worth a play for anyone on the fence, but not for $60 if you haven't already bought it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

I didn't even do the Luxerion main quest first. Once I unlocked the last part of the Warren, I ended up just bumming around Yusnaan and doing its story. Yusnaan's story is awesome, by the way. Pretty much everything about Yusnaan is awesome, particularly the music. God drat, it's upbeat.

Yusnaan main quest spoilers: Our tough battle warrior has to play dress-up in a production in order to unlock the way to her real target? Celes would be proud. Definitely had a big grin on my face during this whole schtick. Hell, I'm still using this garb in my third slot.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Certain Schema can upgrade but most are locked to what they are. Several kinds of upgrade things are locked until NG+. (For example you upgrade accessories to improved versions by finding them in a second playthrough.) The lowest-level Schema in the game (those you start with, for example) will get plot-related upgrades later in the game. Equilibrium is one of those Garbs. It gets Attack Level 4, ATB Recovery Plus and +30 Maximum ATB.

Otherwise however you can use whatever Schema you like. A lot of the Schema are balanced around the idea that their passive or unique abilities balance out weaker basic abilities, or that they have a unique powerful ability to balance out weaker schema attributes. There are a few which just get outclassed, unfortunately, but I don't believe any gets outclassed to the point you can't use it because you like it. I was using early-game stuff at the final boss just because I liked how it looked more.

Okay, thanks. That is a bit of a relief.

Still not made any main quest progress since my last post, but I've been doing a ton of little itty bitty quests in the mean time. Dead Dunes is really big, guys. :negative: Finding quest items here is like finding a needle in a haystack.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

poo poo, the side quests in this game may be really lame due to the lack of NPC models, but I'm having a blast with the main quest stuff. They really have stepped it up in comparison to the last games and now I'm interested in what's going on. Can't get over how awesome Yusnaan was.

Up to 2 Chocobo Eater kills and one Earth Eater kill now. Gotta push myself to the absolute limits to beat those miserable fucks, starting fights with as much EP as I can muster and as many hi-potions as I can remember to snag beforehand. Never gonna finish that quest that requires 8 Green Monster Moss at this rate, but... well, killing this many for now still feels like an accomplishment. gently caress those guys.

I got pissed off and looked up the answer to where to find the Old-Fashioned Photography Frame earlier. I was expecting an NPC to give it or something, so... I would have been looking for a long time. The quest help is rather deceiving in that regard.

Buhbuhj posted:

The lost moogle quest more than validates my purchase of this game.

Hope: You threw that moogle farther than Serah ever did!

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

DarkstarIV posted:

Well then you'll like the weapons that drop from the Last Ones. They are hot pink. :v:

I used the skeleton Bone Cracker for half the game because it was the best thing available to my physical attacker until I unlocked Kusanagi. Now I still use it on my Defense build. Thing is uglier than poo poo. I'm not sure what they were thinking.

Three days left and I'm still not sure if I should try fighting the Wildlands boss again. First two times I tried, I got my rear end handed to me. I can only assume I have to beat him to unlock the last day, but man, that poo poo is painful.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Slowly counting down the clock. Two days until oblivion and I'm now just killing all of the big monsters I have left to complete my few remaining Canvas Quests. Think I just need to focus on Dreadnoughts now... then maybe I'll just focus on summoning Last Ones. Not Earth Eater or Chocobo Eater, though. gently caress those guys.

I've had a Last One reaver running around my Wildlands incessantly for the past two days and haven't really tried it since I beat the Wildlands Bosses. Before that, I just couldn't get him down below 50% because his regen effect is so drat strong. Afraid I may have to cheese it with continuous Overclocks and Army of Ones.

Army of One is so awesomely broken. It's pretty much the only way I got any of the Earth Eater/Chocobo Eater quests finished.

Qwezz posted:

Walking around in the FFX-2 Yuna outfit in Luxerion.

"She must be in the Gullwings"

"Hey, found any spheres lately?"

:allears:

Do other outfits also get unique NPC remarks?

There's a small kiosk in the Armory Alley where you buy the Gift Glasses for a quest that reads, "JECHT'S GOODS." I took a picture and uploaded it in the game, but I have no idea if there's a way to get those images outside of the game.

e: Also, I have to mention how awesome the Purple Lightning Ninja garb is. Flame and Flood are hilarious to use in succession over and over. It makes the entire screen just one gigantic whirlwind of insanity, requiring me to just have situational awareness on the enemy I'm fighting so I know when to guard.

The Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 17, 2014

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Oh my loving god how am I supposed to beat Omega Chocobo Eater and Omega Earth Eater? Trying Earth Eater now, and only Heavy Slash and Flame do anything above 1 damage, even when the jerk is staggered. I've also tried setting up Galestrike, which does more than`1 damage, but still pretty low- Aerora 3+ and Aeroga 4 don't do anymore than 1 damage either. WHAT IS THIS :psyboom:

Seriously, I hate these loving mobs. I can kill the regulars without issue now, and didn't even have a problem with Cyclops or Zomok or Zaltys. I don't even see a possible way to cheese them when Overclocked and Army of One barely do anything. I've come so far... :smithicide: I can't bow down yet, I just can't

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

End game poo poo:

Just died on Bhunivelze's fourth form after using about four X Potions and two ethers. I was barely doing any damage to him and Heartless Angel kept wrecking me because I couldn't figure out how to escape the angels before they processed the attack. By the time I made it to the end, I don't think I made even a small dent in his HP. I'm not sure what the hell I'm doing wrong here- the previous forms were all no issue at all and suddenly I'm on the floor in my own pool of blood.

Changing up my garbs to make a schema built directly on Defense using Sacred Knight. If this doesn't work, I'm not sure what I'll do. I've got way more hours on this game than what you goons are suggesting the median is, yet I'm still having all of this trouble. What the gently caress.
:psyduck:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Coughing Hobo posted:

Endgame spoilers: Bhunivelze's fourth and final form is a stagger check. Really damaging attacks aren't all that necessary, as once you've staggered him you've essentially won. You'll want a mix of abilities with high stagger power and high stagger time, and switch between the two to make sure any stagger you've built up doesn't fall off, .e.g switch between Light Slash and regular Attack. Jump is useless, as any melee attack you do will put you in the air, which is something to keep in mind with defense; you need to land before you can guard, so get good with reading the tells for each attack. He's immune to all debuffs, so don't bother with those, and the only buffs useful to you are Protect, Shell, and Haste.

Hope this helps! I beat him earlier today, and that ending is... it's an ending, all right!

Thanks. This is essentially what I've been figuring out, albeit slowly. My only problem is that when it comes to staggering, I've never cared to use any strategies outside of "hit it with what it's weak against," so for much of this I've been brute forcing it. I do have a stagger schema set up that I may drag with me if I fail this current run.

Speaking of Heartless Angel, I've found that it's easy to dodge as long as I drop every single thing I'm doing, and then attack right when the camera zooms in to finalize the attack.

e: ah, thanks to Imp Atom, too.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Thanks, guys. Finally beat the game, although it still took me forever.

Coughing Hobo posted:

I beat him earlier today, and that ending is... it's an ending, all right!

I just want to reiterate this. Had a big goofy grin on my face through the whole thing. It's what I expected for the end of the Final Fantasy XIII series, so it's fitting. And as cheesy and ridiculous as it was, it was still 500x better than Mass Effect 3's ending.

As a whole, definitely enjoyed the game. I'll work on doing all of the stuff I passed some other time. Definitely need a short break from the game before I try doing more hunting.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

I got lucky and found someone selling an Elixir for 360,000 gil. Instant trophy! Then, since I saved before, I could just reload my save to lose the Elixir and reclaim my gil once again. Maybe kind of cheap, but I think that searching for Soul Seeds is one of the grindiest parts of the game... and I killed all but four last ones before the optional dungeon.

Being able to level up weapons in Hard Mode is kind of nice.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

As with games like Dead Rising and Majora's Mask, the countdown adds a sense of emergency. It doesn't work for every game, but it works very well in LR, if you ask me. And, as we've mentioned before, it's incredibly easy to bypass the clock by abusing Chronostasis. And there's NG+. There's literally no good reason to be so stressed over the time limit when there are so many possibilities to get around it: adding time by doing missions, freezing time with Chronostasis, or using NG+ to restart time.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

I started a new game on Hard and now I'm day 4. I expected Hard Mode to be a lot more challenging, thinking they would scale it to account for all of the stats I gained from my first playthrough... but I'm just breezing through everything. Battles are going way faster than my first run. Maybe some of this could be attributed to the fact that now I know how the system works and I gained the ability to upgrade weapons, but overall, my equipment has not changed much from my first playthrough thanks to constantly being poor.

Gonna wait a few more days here to actually finish off the main storylines even though I've got everything completed to just before the bosses. I want to see just how hard the + versions will be so I can get a better gauge on whether this is just me improving, or if Hard Mode is just lacking.

Tempo 119 posted:

Hey we've hit 100,000 snapshots so if you talk to an @LRFF13 NPC you can grab the Helter Skelter garb from the rewards store.

Strength +180
ATB +50
Default ATB -50%
Attack Lv.4

Next target is 250,000 posts for Duelist.

I bought Helter Skelter in-game earlier in the day just before it was unlocked as a reward, and I also bought Duellist soon after. Joke's on me!

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Brumaldo posted:

I've been in an argument with a friend of mine over the past few years about this whole XIII series.
He loves this poo poo, I hate it.
Trying the demo left me kind of skeptical, but now there's a bunch of people saying how nice this game is and from what I've seen it seems dumb in the best kind of way, the way that turns on itself and turns out to be pretty neat.
Should I just bite the bullet and play this on another profile on my PS3, because NOBODY MUST EVER KNOW I PLAYED THIS.

Um... I guess? I mean, if you're that apprehensive about it, that would probably be the best decision. Also to wait until it's lower in price if you're really that unsure you will like it. It's legitimately a fun game though and has a really fun battle system. The story is still FFXIII, but it's a step up from the original game, if you ask me. That opinion will vary from person to person.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

I hope they release more garbs as DLC sometime. I would love to run around as Agrias Oaks.

I would buy that immediately.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

That Twitch xbox video is painful, but those other garbs you showed are pretty great. Here's hoping SE will still develop a few more even though the game has been out in Japan for four months.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

pichupal posted:

For the curious, here's the Ultimate Saviour video.

To be honest, I find it adorable how you make squeaky sounds when walking in the moogle outfit.

That one looks pretty ridiculous, but it does have a pretty awesome looking ability. Excalibur and Aegis are always swanky too.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Fedule posted:

Well, I've seen the ending.

Words fail.

No, wait, I thought of some. Please, please tell me Lightning saying "we'll be together soon" was her talking to Serah or something and not, as I fear, to Motomu Toriyama. Or, worse (?), to the player.

I read an interview somewhere saying that that way to be open to interpretation. But yeah, that seems like the most likely scenario, so :iamafag:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Mischitary posted:

That moogle one is okay I guess but those other two are stupid. Instead of just making DLC costumes that you make sure people are going to buy by making them powerful, just give me more fanservice. A FF1 warrior of light costume, a Tifa costume, etc. I like this game a lot, and I'd spend a couple of bucks to run around with a feather-frilled leather jacket and gunblade.

I'm honestly very surprised that the Warrior of Light's garments aren't available in the game, considering the WoL is pretty prominent in the Slaughterhouse posters found throughout Yusnaan. It's like they're teasing!

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Running around on Day 7 and killing everything in my path... Finally decided to try out the Cloud Strife suit. Put on a Heavy Slash 5 in my circle space, then staggered an enemy. Slayer was doing something like 50,000 damage, atleast. I love the fanfare at the end too, but it sounds a lot louder than the rest of the game's music.

Gonna try to upload a few Ethers and Turbo Ethers over the next few days, so keep an eye out for "Knives McBride." I try to label them with "Ether:" before each message so people can know they're being sold. I recommend everyone else do this too, because it's a pretty cool way to help others out with the game for no cost.

PunkBoy posted:

Maybe if there's a Snow DLC, he'll get a WoL costume? The datalogs mention his deal with Cactuar, and I want to see how that came about. Have it set during right when he becomes Patron, and have it basically be Final Fantasy: Final Fight.

I didn't get any of FFXIII-2's DLC but the Commander Shepard suit for Serah and the Ezio Auditore robes for Noel, but there were three different add-on scenarios: one for Snow, one for Lightning, and one for Sazh. One was planned for Hope and Alyssa too, but it never came together.

Maybe another goon can unearth more about what happened in all of those little stories. I'm definitely curious, but I just didn't want to spend the money on the scenarios when they wouldn't be very long or add anything to the main game.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Sailor's Tricorne.

I'm rocking a painter's beret with an echidna armguard, with the Stone and Sand garb modified to make the cape red. It looks pretty great.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Beat Noel Kreiss+ earlier. I was not expecting him to wear something completely different and badass. That was cool. Looking forward to the other plus battles, if this is how things will go. The spear he dropped is pretty cool and reminds me of one of Noel's final swords in XIII-2.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Skip 13, play 13-2 and play this one. 13 is a bad boring game.

I agree with this.

I made a four paragraph explanation on why XIII was such a slog for me, but I'm just gonna make a small list here to make everyone's lives easier.

1. Limits on leveling up until you beat the game
2. Leveling up takes poo poo-tons of EXP if you want to fill your Crystarium. Have fun cheating Adamantoises with Death!
3. Leveling equipment takes poo poo-tons of gil/farming.
4. Linear dungeons.
5. No towns.

I used to add in the game's characters and music as reasons as well, but I think I was just using those as scapegoats. In reality, FFXIII wouldn't make a terrible anime movie (which I'm sure is already on youtube), but as a game, I just find it incredibly boring with very little player input. Atleast, until after you beat the game, when it doesn't even matter to me anymore...

FFXIII-2 and LR solve every single issue I have with the original game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Whaaaat? Their back story was interesting, but Noel is basically adult Sora and doesn't fit in at all with the rest of the 13 cast, attitude or appearance-wise. It's like they were just trying to bring in the Kingdom Hearts fans.

I really like Noel... I'm not going to argue any of what you said though. He was generally just really chill, regardless of the fact that he's the Last Man on Earth. That considered, he complimented Serah well since they were both upbeat main protagonists.

And maybe I just like Jason Marsden characters. Or maybe I liked him because I had him dressed as Ezio Auditore the whole time. Those two things definitely contributed to it, anyway!

• Locked thread