Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

When the game says I'm going to "offer Eradia" to Yggdrasil every morning, does that mean I'm supposed to save up some EP for it or does it just play out along with the story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Yes and no.

LR has a Dark Souls Lite system where other people who are playing can post things. They'll appear as NPCs in the world who have floating messages and who you can talk to in order to see the screenshot that person posted and possibly to buy an item they put up. So that is in the game but it's something someone else playing it posted, not an actual bit of NPC dialogue.

I really wish these didn't take a full minute to open up, although I do appreciate all the people walking around with "this story sucks" "what is even happening" etc over their heads.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

SoulChicken posted:

So I've got to the first real boss at the end of the second day (the shadow hunter/???). I die while he is at 75%. I stagger him then hit him a lot but not much happens. I'm so bummed out, I should have played on easy. It was awesome in the last games when you staggered enemies you felt so powerful.

He's weak to thunder so gear up with a bunch of those attacks (I had Sparkstrike on my physical schema, Thundara and Thunder+ on my magic schema, and a spare Thunder on my defensive schema to keep the chain going when I wasn't guarding). There's a monster in the graveyard that drops Deshell so maybe grab that too.

He's only got a few attacks and he telegraphs them like crazy - keep your distance and try to learn the timing on at least one of his moves for a perfect-guard.

Check the stagger conditions in his notes, where it says "do [x] during the first stagger" it means you can double-stagger him to get the old-style "flopped on the ground, launchable, big yellow numbers everywhere, you've basically won at this point" stagger effect. It even changes the music, it's great.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

It took me a while to realise I was doing it, but I'm so, so incredibly glad you can pick up notes on bosses to fill in their bestiary pages before you actually fight them. I've always hated RPG boss fights that expect some sort of pre-preparation, without any in-game means to actually know what you're preparing for until it's already smacking you around. Just having a list of elemental strengths & weaknesses in advance is a godsend.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I guess I appreciate that the (Wildlands) Lightning vs Caius fight resembles the Lightning vs Caius DLC for 13-2 but, uhh, that was a huge pain in the rear end to beat and now so is this. :thumbsup: I just can't seem to get enough damage out for a stagger. It feels like he's constantly attacking and half of it is bullshit cutscene attacks that do damage off-screen, so I can't just brace for the impact and get straight back to wailing on him, I'm sitting there with heavy guard up the whole time watching the stagger bar die off.

Do bosses get stronger every day, or just when they change "versions" on certain days? If I go get really buff and come back on day 5 or something is he just going to match it?

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Oh hey maybe everyone figured this out already but all the monsters in the Wildlands come out at night (bell rings at 6PM and you hear an announcement to get the gently caress indoors), which explains why there was that one poster saying there were too many Reavers everywhere yesterday and everyone else saying "drat, I wish". I'm drowning in EP and shard swords right now.

Dead Dunes is the opposite, you get Gurengatches and Earth Eaters everywhere during the day but I read on a loading screen it goes quiet at night.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I beat the Wildlands boss eventually, after backing off and doing two other entire main quests first (all on the same day :smug: ). My overall strategy was to turtle up for his whole commando phase and just lob a bunch of spells in the short pauses between his ravager attacks. Still never managed to stagger him, but it didn't take too long to wear him down and I got 4 stars for it (possibly could have used an overclock somewhere to bump it up). It probably helps that I wiped out the Reavers for a FLESH RENDER (900 STR/MAG, a million miles better than anything else I've seen at this point), and also I don't remember where I picked it up but I have an accessory that charges the two inactive ATBs every time you do magic damage. It might be the 6EP chest on top of the ruined city? Not sure.

The cutscene that followed was some real loving nonsense by the way, I think this means Yeul is the Dark Souls??

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 17, 2014

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

EDIT: Hmm, another question, similar to the one I posed in the FF megathread... what if I get to day 13/14 (I think the only difference is having enough sidequests to unlock the secret dungeon?) but I don't finish all the main quests. I'm pretty sure I don't have time to do Fang AND Sazh's, because I was dumb and basically didn't touch each area until I was basically done with the last, so I didn't hit the Wildlands until like day 9. Do I still get the ending? Do I get a game over? Is the final boss just harder because I'm 'under-levelled'?

You can do both of those quests in one day, unless you've already wiped out so many of the big monsters in the Dead Dunes that you can't keep Chronostasis running. If you're actually stuck, you'll get a game over when time runs out, but you can carry your work over into a new game and blast through everything again.

You'd want to hit the objectives in this order to do both quests:
Before 6PM: (while the 2EP monsters are active in the Dunes)
- Activate Sazh's quest in the Wildlands
- Activate Fang's quest in the Dunes to get her in your party
- ** Start spamming the heck out of Chronostasis **
- Pretty much do Fang's entire quest (the timed doors gimmick is incredibly silly, you'll need to advance 1 or maybe 2 hours but you can just walk around most of them)
- While you're going around collecting tablets, stop by the lighthouse to kill the Cactair
- ** Stop spamming the heck out of Chronostasis **
- Pick up Chocolina's whatever from the road all the way to the south of the Wildlands

After 7PM: (when your last destinations open up for business)
- Go to the Moogle Village (in the woods, through the vines that only open at 7PM) and do the initial sidequest for a moogle thing
- Go to Yusnaan, give Chocolina her whatever and give the seed hunter the moogle thing
- Fight at the Slaughterhouse (open 7PM to 3AM)
- Go back to Sazh

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 18, 2014

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I hope they take another look at this Outerworld thing some time - it's so close to a fun idea, but it's so ineffective at every stage I can't figure out what they even want out of it. Spamming Facebook walls I suppose. The "submit 100,000 snapshots" challenge suggests it's all a numbers game too. Thing is, if the in-game stuff didn't all take forever to load I'd probably click on them all and get really into it. I love pushing the AI around and trying to frame scenes with the camera tool. An online gallery would be great, maybe even some control over what shows up in-game (I mean who wants to sit through half a minute of "Downloading" just for my Zaltys score screen with no caption or item?).

Failboattootoot posted:

Please tell me you can extinct skeletons. I have been dicking around in the ruins for 3 hours now and I am certain I have got to be close to the extinction number.

Yes there's a man in Ruffian who asks you to do exactly that, and the remaining number shows up on the quest screen.

Edit: aha nice

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Failboattootoot posted:

Trying to exterminate Hoplites is the worst. So many useless desdemona spawns!

I had a lot of luck just inside the "sneaking in" door in the industrial area, down the first set of metal stairs. It's not worth wiping them all out though, if that's what you're doing.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Fedule posted:

God, the Last One weapons aren't just coloured hot pink, they actually ignore all in-engine lighting and are fully lit at all times. So even if you try to colour an outfit to coordinate with a hot pink sword it'll still clash if you're somewhere with any unusual lighting.

Who thought this was a good idea?!

I went through the entire population of Cyclopses trying to take a good photo, had to settle for this last attempt before they went extinct and the Last One colouring on the sword and monster makes it kind of unintelligible :(

If you find it in the world though, you can buy the Bonecracker :v:

Edit: there's a bulletin on the title screen saying there's a problem with the Cloud DLC gear not showing up in the 360 version, has anyone experienced this? That's the version I'm on and it works for me. When I saw the big red "Graphics Issue" title I thought it would be about how Desert Sahagins completely murder the framerate.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 20, 2014

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Urgh I don't know what I've been doing wrong with my Schemata towards the end but I couldn't make a dent in either of the optional bosses and I just finished off the final boss with literally 1 battle point, zero stars. Here's what I've got (first playthrough, normal difficulty):

Physical schema:
~3000 STR
Attack, Artemis' Arrows and Counterblow

Magic schema:
~2500 MAG
Elemental gear according to who's around (eg. weak against thunder = Electronica, Thunder+, Thundara, Auto-Enthunder)
Witch's Rosary (+ATB to other schemata when casting spells)
Quick Stagger
Ruin

Defense schema:
100% resistance to either physical or magic damage (using Ghostly/Preta Hood, so no STR/MAG)
Gagnrad (+ATB)
Knight's Pledge (+15,000 HP, moderate guard def)
Heavy Guard, Deprotect, Deshell, Imperil

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Spoilered for strategy: then you're not staggering quickly or frequently enough. IIRC, you have to stagger both of them like 4 times within a short period of time in order to actually start damaging it at a decent pace. Also, actually damaging it is tough, but once they've been staggered they lose their resistance to poison. Chug ethers and abuse overdrive to stagger.

You're right, I need more stagger power. It's been pretty tough to get anything into the red before all the ATBs are out, and the defensive one isn't contributing at all. I just started a NG+ on the same difficulty, started shuffling them around a bit, hopefully with the weapon upgrading stuff I'll have a bit more of an edge when I get there again.

Schwartzcough posted:

Trying to get a really great Cyclops taint shot?

Yeah, what else :)

I was hoping to line up something a bit cool like this but the battle camera is a nightmare. I literally drove the Cyclops to extinction trying to catch a weapon impact without the screen flashing, so when I eventually caught Lightning taking a swing at the last one's junk I slapped a pun on it and called it a day.

Bonus Cactuar:

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Hey we've hit 100,000 snapshots so if you talk to an @LRFF13 NPC you can grab the Helter Skelter garb from the rewards store.

Strength +180
ATB +50
Default ATB -50%
Attack Lv.4

Next target is 250,000 posts for Duelist.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 22, 2014

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Noel was seriously devoid of any personality. I really don't get the people that like him at all. He is just kind of there. Especially considering he watched his species loving go extinct. Goddamn.

He acts basically the same as any other human, but he looks ridiculous and he's a little more powerful than you'd expect. That's how Last Ones work, duh.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Kak posted:

I understand the perfect guards and have my timing almost perfect, but I still don't under perfect attacks. What do you mean by "when it lands?" The way I understand it, you have to hold down the assigned attack button to hit annything. I've tried single button presses, but it just begins an attack without landing a hit.

One button press = one attack. I don't know why you're not landing hits (there are some moves where she doesn't move into range automatically, or maybe you're just being evaded) but holding the button down is the same as pressing it over and over.

A perfect attack is where you tap to attack once, then tap to attack again right as your sword connects with the enemy (or if you're casting magic, when it leaves your hand). It does a similar bubble effect as a perfect guard when you nail it.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Schwartzcough posted:

Welp, it's early on day 10 and I've completed every main quest, every sidequest that can be completed on the first run, every canvas of prayers quest, and hunted every monster to extinction. I may just have a problem.

You can't have a problem, you solved all the problems in the entire world.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I have absolutely no idea if it is intentional or not but the feeling I got is that for most people she's acting The Savior and doing what they want to hear and with her friends she's actually try to act like herself. The more likely answer is "bad writing" though.

Making strangers feel better about themselves is literally her life's purpose. There's at least one quest where she goes through a whole speech, takes the soul, then turns around to Hope and says "wow what a load of poo poo". Her friends deserve nothing but scorn anyway, look at them.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

You can use Counterblow to auto-evade + counter all his attacks including the one with the debuffs. The timing for evading chomp is weird, it's earlier than it looks.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

The best part of the ending is when everyone's chilling in space for some reason and Bhunivelze pops out of a portal to have another go at them, and he makes this really gross throat-clearing noise I can't even imagine why they did that and left it in but I'm glad they did.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

This is from some random NeoGAF post so it may or may not be total bullshit:

1. Lightning
2. Hatsune Miku
3. Monokuma
4. Zero from Drag-on Dragoon 3
5. Neptune/Purple Heart
6. God Eater's Alisa
7. Yuna and Raiden tied
9. Rorona
10. Rean from Sen no Kiseki

I haven't played most of these so I dunno, maybe this is actually a total travesty and "Rean from Sen no Kiseki" is literally Japanese Citizen Kane, but just out of the ones I've seen I'd probably pick Lightning as well. :shrug:

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I really like Cold Rebellion (coat + scarf) but having it upgrade into Watery Chorus is some kind of thematic whiplash if nothing else.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

They stop calling them tutorials at a point but you don't really get a proper mission until you leave Luxerion. They box you in to the train station to teach you about accepting side quests, paying attention to NPCs, collecting souls, and so on. Then the numbers thing takes you on a tour of the city and demonstrates the time gate stuff (though you can just go somewhere else at that point if you want). I actually thought it was pretty smart :shobon: although I super wanted to skip it on my second playthrough.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

precision posted:

I'm kind of getting annoyed at FF13-2 and I'm not even all that far, can I just put it down until later and grab LR? Gameplay-wise it looks much more like something I am into (I love shopping!!!!) and I don't really care about plot, I just don't want to be totally lost

Is there something specific that's annoying you? You can totally jump straight to LR, it's a much better game, but 13-2 does have its moments when it gets going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Nah, I act pretty differently too when I'm at work surrounded by people vs. when I'm at home plotting to murder God.

• Locked thread