Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yep
Dec 29, 2012
The fact that, despite having 4-5k viewers where half are trying to gently caress up and everyone is dealing with Twitch's awful lag, they've managed to get to Misty in the first place has made this experiment a success. If and when they manage to make use of their moonstone, we can chalk it up as one of mankind's greatest achievements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

I wonder if this would work well for multiplayer games.

Imagine one twitch chat room competing against another twitch chat room.

You'd still need a slow, menu-based game though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TK.Frampt posted:

The fact that, despite having 4-5k viewers where half are trying to gently caress up and everyone is dealing with Twitch's awful lag, they've managed to get to Misty in the first place has made this experiment a success. If and when they manage to make use of their moonstone, we can chalk it up as one of mankind's greatest achievements.

They got most of the way when there were only like 20 viewers, apparently. They've been stuck at this point for a long time.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

5000 people with nothing better to do on Valentine's day.

Actually, make that 5001.

yep
Dec 29, 2012

precision posted:

They got most of the way when there were only like 20 viewers, apparently. They've been stuck at this point for a long time.

Yeah, I figured as much. Seems like it could benefit from a super long slowmode but probably not that much.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

TK.Frampt posted:

Yeah, I figured as much. Seems like it could benefit from a super long slowmode but probably not that much.

This would ruin the fun. Plus they just beat that trainer, so they're doing great.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
They're getting their poo poo kicked in by a level 17 Slowpoke. It's beautiful.

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

I think allowing people to send a short queue of commands would help this game a lot.

...but the chat seems to be making progress somehow anyway.

Go ABBBBBBK (, you can do it!

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

precision posted:

That's definitely not true, they managed to make it from Pewter City through Mt. Moon and into Cerulean with above 3000 people.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

That loving Sned posted:

5000 people with nothing better to do on Valentine's day.

Actually, make that 5001.

After you've been with the same person for a few years, Valentine's Day becomes kind of pointless.

It is a Friday though, I bet it hits 10k people tonight. Actually at this rate it'll hit 10k people by noon.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Law posted:

That's definitely not true, they managed to make it from Pewter City through Mt. Moon and into Cerulean with above 3000 people.

How the hell did they avoid being permanently traumatized by Zubats

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Wish this was tied to a voting system instead of allowing people to just spam chat.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Pureauthor posted:

How the hell did they avoid being permanently traumatized by Zubats

The same way they managed to catch LVWNOOOOOOOOOOO. Pure wizardry.

yep
Dec 29, 2012
One day they will have useful items to spam. Like Pokeballs that they can spam throw at other trainer's Pokemon.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I'm surprised nobody did this on twitch sooner. I love the people getting mad in chat.

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

I'm now thinking this stream is guaranteed to work.

If people get frustrated at the lack of progress, they'll quit voting. With fewer people voting, progress will be easier. Are the players motivated enough to actually beat the game? Hell yeah they are, because this is Pokemon.

My prediction: barring technical difficulties, TwitchPlaysPokemon will kill whatever boss pokemon is at the end, and beat the game.

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Ugh. They turned off the battle animations. Good bye sweet sand-attack graphics.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Ator posted:

I'm now thinking this stream is guaranteed to work.

If people get frustrated at the lack of progress, they'll quit voting. With fewer people voting, progress will be easier. Are the players motivated enough to actually beat the game? Hell yeah they are, because this is Pokemon.

My prediction: barring technical difficulties, TwitchPlaysPokemon will kill whatever boss pokemon is at the end, and beat the game.

There is one single humongous stumbling block.

Surf.

Which requires you to enter the Safari Zone.

And get an item within 500 steps.

You need to pay a fee every time you enter.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
RIP

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Hooray, they managed to save. :toot:

e: they did it again

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Wrap it up, Twitch! e-sports will never top this!!! :fap:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Gotta run from this boss battle! Over and over and over...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Korak posted:

Wish this was tied to a voting system instead of allowing people to just spam chat.

You must be one of the people getting mad in the chat.

Anyone who takes this seriously is missing the point.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

precision posted:

You must be one of the people getting mad in the chat.

Anyone who takes this seriously is missing the point.

The people desperately trying to make this organized is the best part of this trainwreck. :allears:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

TheEggsBenedict posted:

The people desperately trying to make this organized is the best part of this trainwreck. :allears:

Once in a while they come to some sort of vague consensus on what to do.

Like now, when they're grinding.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
This will be amazing to watch at 100x speed when they beat it in twenty years.

fake edit: it's like if you gave the mars rover controls to every six year old

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
It's pretty funny to see the Twitch chat react to what's on the screen despite being 40 secs behind.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Wonder if they'll manage to catch any more pokemon.

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Pureauthor posted:

Wonder if they'll manage to catch any more pokemon.

They need to sell their nugget and buy some, but I think the only goals the hive mind recognizes are 'gym leader' and 'grind.'

This shows just how easy pokemon is. If hundreds of people spamming semi-random commands can make progress...

Lame Devil fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 14, 2014

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

TheEggsBenedict posted:

GUYS STOP PRESSING DOWN WE NEED TO GET TO MISTY

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The best part is when the delay from the chat means all their inputs are for the wrong part of the game usually. So you'll get people to spam a bunch of commands that instead end up screwing them over, its wonderful.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Oh my god they have the text speed set to 'slow' :gonk:

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
Spam start, watch everyone in chat get pissed

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
oh no they were defeated by Misty again

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dragongem posted:

oh no they were defeated by Misty again

SERIOUSLY GUYS WE NEED AN ODDISH

StopHangingDjs
Jan 9, 2013
How the hell did we beat Brock with a Charmander and a Pidgey?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

StopHangingDjs posted:

How the hell did we beat Brock with a Charmander and a Pidgey?

I'm pretty sure they had a Charmeleon by that point.

And then they managed to erase Ember and replace it with Bide.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
If someone did a playthrough with actual random commands I think it would eventually do better than this experiment.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
GUYS STOP PRESSING START

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
You know, I think if we got the entire population of the world in on this as opposed to a bunch of fuckup internet shutins, we'd ace it in no time :unsmith:

• Locked thread