Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Isn't the Comcast / Netflix deal basically Netflix used to pay cogent to carry the traffic to Comcast, and now they're paying Comcast directly? Assuming the costs are in the same ballpark I don't see this being as huge a deal as it's being made out to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

adorai posted:

They aren't double dipping. Netflix added Comcast as an upstream ISP for less money than they were paying cogent to be an ISP. There is likely an agreement that traffic that Netflix sends directly to Comcast won't leave the Comcast network, but either way, there is no more double dip than there is when I download a movie from bittorrent from another subscriber of my ISP.

Exactly. Netflix is already paying somebody to carry that traffic to Comcast. Now they're just paying Comcast directly for that portion of the traffic.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

That approximately lines up with when Netflix started providing Super HD to everyone, including Comcast customers. Higher file sizes across the same size links leads to a degraded experience for everyone.

• Locked thread