Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Why aren't cable companies allowed over each others lines? I mean, you could get DSL and phone service from multiple companies, why not cable?

Some sort of sweetheart deal they struck with the government about laying down their own infrastructure over the years (which I'm sure was probably heavily subsidized...)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Cenodoxus posted:

Mainly because cable carriers own the entire local loop and hate competitors. It's also tricky (if not impossible) to compete over the same cable infrastructure because cable is a shared medium - one end of the fiber is connected to the CMTS at the cable company's central office, and the other end of the fiber is in a tiny box on your street where it's converted to coax and shared with the entire block.

Phone lines and DSL are a bit different - your phone line is a single twisted pair that runs all the way back to the central office, and it's yours and yours alone. From there, you've got an incumbent carrier that laid the lines or at least has legal possession of them (the ILEC), and you've got competitive carriers (the CLEC) who are given the right to lease lines from the ILEC at fair rates, and either one can take your twisted pair and give you service over it.

Another factor preventing shared cable markets is that many municipalities offer a pseudo-"protected monopoly" status to cable carriers in exchange for the carrier agreeing to provide service to the entire area. The local government gets their constituents internet access, and the cable company gets so many years of almost guaranteed :10bux:.

I knew that Cable was a shared bandwidth medium, I guess I just forgot to connect the dots on that point. Also now that you mentioned the whole thing about municipalities, I remember how Verizon and Cablevision got into lawsuits and slapfights in my area over local exclusivity deals in certain towns and such when Verizon was heavily rolling out their fiber. The result is that I can get FIOS Internet and phone, but not TV.

Man, this poo poo fuckin' sucks. This merger is going to gently caress so many people over (even more than they're being hosed over now).

• Locked thread